• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions Will The Next Nintendo Console Be Called "Switch 2" Betting Poll

will it be named switch 2

• Total voters

SpaceGodzilla

Did You Get that Thing I Sent You?
Pronouns
him
The losing Team has to Change Their Icons To A Hololive Idol and Change Their Costum title To " Bau Bau I Love Vtubers" for a month

If there's one thing we know for certain, it's that Nintendo never does numbers in the successor to a previous console. 3DS doesn't count, the number is before DS not after.

Easiest bet ever.

I think "Nintendo Switch Advance" is the name that makes the most sense. It's a clear successor name, and a call back to an older Nintendo system.

Fuck it.
I think they will call it the Switch 2 or equivalent.

Cheating here but I think something like Switch Super/Super Switch counts. Anything that conveys Switch but a new device and more powerful.

All the bets, I'll be in all the bets. I don't know how I can combine all these avatars when I lose but we will worry about that later.

"No"

Switch 2 will not be called Switch 2

Nintendo has never been one to use a numbering system for consoles. The might keep the Switch name but even if they do they are just going to pick a word/suffix/prefix that isn't "2" to go with it.

It probably won't but it'd be great if it did. Easy for branding and immediate consumer awareness and understanding. Also something novel for Nintendo, so I think there's some appeal from that angle.

I voted yes and accept all consequences. No successful Nintendo home console had a successful successor. Furukawa needs to change that, and a no-nonsense name to streamline marketing is too much of a no-brainer.

If they don’t use a 2, I actually don‘t believe that they will call it anything Switch. I see them using the same core vision for the marketing; like the playing anywhere you like aspect, easy to understand features and heavy focus on games. But with a new name that is at the same time still communicating that it‘s a successor to the Nintendo Switch.

If intentional or not, Switch is such a genius name because it reflects so well in what state Nintendo was at the time. „Are you tired of our gimmicky hardware that shape how our games look and feel? Let‘s switch things up, the game is the focus now!"

Though the best name I can come up with right now is "Nintendo Switched and Well". So my theory dosen’t come exactly without loopholes.

I voted yes and accept all consequences. No successful Nintendo home console had a successful successor. Furukawa needs to change that, and a no-nonsense name to streamline marketing is too much of a no-brainer.
This is where I'm at as well. I don't think being cute with successor device naming has ever been a benefit for Nintendo or any other company that does it. Obviously if Nintendo's next console is a bigger divergence from the Switch concept then we expect all bets are off, but outside of gamer boomer credit on sites like this, Super Switch or Switch Advance aren't great names.

Switch 2 seems so easy and would cause no confusion. Unless they dramatically change the design there is no need for another name. If it a hybrid system like switch then call it switch 2 and move on.

Switch 2 seems so easy and would cause no confusion. Unless they dramatically change the design there is no need for another name. If it a hybrid system like switch then call it switch 2 and move on.
I pretty much align with this. I expect them to call it something different because of their history, but part of me feels like the Switch is such an unprecedented success, that carrying on the brand with a simple sequel title will be their safest way to move forward (if it's the same concept, but more capable).

The creators of the Wii U are going to call their sequel console something that simplistic? Nah, leave the numbered consoles to Sony.
If they are calling the switch sequel anything, I think Super Nintendo Switch has a better possibility.

I lean towards no, but I think it's a pretty likely possibility regardless despite that and despite the lack of precedence. If the Switch followup really is as no-frills as people are speculating then it's something I could see them doing, especially to avoid a Wii U situation where the name was a marketing fumble.

I think that it will not be called the Switch 2 but, it will probably have Switch in the title.

Switch U

I think Nintendo will go against their own history and call it Switch 2. After Wii U there can be absolutely no risks taken and a numbered successor sends the clearest message to the mass market as to what the new system is. It’s worked well for Sony with Playstation who have enjoyed more back to back console successes than anyone else. Nintendo haven’t had back to back successes (for consoles which can be played on the TV) since NES to SNES.

I think they will and should. If Nintendo doesn't name it as Switch 2 I hope the thing craters in sales and it'd be a self-inflicted wound.

btw this bet doesn't work bruh I already have a Hololive avatar.

I would bet money that it won't be called Switch 2.

It'll be either "<X> Switch" or "Switch <X>", where X is something like "Super" or "Advance", or a completely new name.

I'm voting no but lowkey hope to lose the bet? Switch 2, or SwIItch if you will, would be a smart name but also quite boring.

I just had a brain blast:
• The Nintendo Double Switch (NDS): gameplay modes: docked, undocked and new: Double Play: the Switch streams the game into the TV and you can use the Switch as a controller with a screen

It’s double because it has two gameplay modes: docked/undocked and double

The Switch doubles as a console or controller

Voted No. I think Switch 2 might be for the best, but not believing Nintendo agrees with me until I see it with my own eyes.

Back
Top Bottom