• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Will Nintendo abandon Miis?

• Thread starter Deleted member 4629
  • Start date

Will Nintendo abandon Mii's?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 4629

Mii's have been a iconic part of Nintendo's systems ever since their introduction in the Wii. We all know and love these silly little guys. You could spend hours making your own Mii's in the Mii Channel, and then you could use said Mii's as playable characters in some games. The Wii had a lot of those games, where Mii's were the main focus. Wii Sports, Wii Party, Wii Play, the list is quite long.

Of course, Mii's carried over into the Wii U. You could once again create your own Mii's in the Mii Channel. This time however, there weren't that much 'Mii-centered' party casual games like the Wii did. Sure, you could play as Mii's in games like Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros for Wii U, but there wasn't much besides that.

Thankfully the 3DS had more games where Mii's once again took the main focus, with games like Tomodachi Life (i want another one damnit!) and Miitopia. And you could once again use the Mii Channel to make your own Mii's. Mii's also took a big role in Miiverse, and in 2016 the Miitomo app released with Mii's once again as the main focus.

However, i feel like things changed during the Switch era. For starters, Mii's are now way more hidden, tucked into the settings menu, or the profile creation app. And there's no hub space for your Mii like Mii Channel, you just...Make them. Of course, it's not all doom and gloom. You can still use your Mii's as profile pictures for the Switch, and you can use them in various games like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Super Smash Bros Ultimate. Miitopia even got ported to the Switch! I'm pretty sure you can create Mii's on Nintendo's site as well. Despite all this, Nintendo Switch Sports, the spiritual succesor to the hit Wii Sports chose not have Mii's as the main focus, strange considering how big of a role they played in Wii Sports. Granted, Mii's are still in the game.

So with all of these developments in mind i'm just not sure if Nintendo is interested in bringing Mii's over to their next system. I'm curious to see how other people feel about this, so i thought i'd make this poll.

Thanks for reading!

As long as a few notable games continue to use them (Mario Kart, Smash, Mario Maker, Tomodachi Collection / Miitopia, [Console] Sports; there's a few smaller titles that use Miis on Switch too like Go Vacation and Mario Golf), I don't see why they couldn't continue to be tucked away in the system settings. Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom utilize Miis too for NPC templates, though that's a usage that could persist even if they were otherwise removed.

I think Miis are sticking around for a good time to come mainly because I think the next system will be backwards compatible which will once again necessitate Miis. A good enough chunk of people like them too so I’d imagine there’d be an outcry if they ever tried to get rid of them.

I really loved them on Wii and 3DS, but on the HD consoles I don’t find myself gravitating toward them as much. I do love they are secretly the Zelda NPCs though lol.

Never actually cared about miis. I do think they'll be pushed back more on the next system. The mii stuff really feels like a relic at this point.

still kinda wild they just dropped a massively updated mii maker in the miitopia remaster and then we havent seen anything of it since...

where the hell is tomodachi life nintendo god dammit, you cant just be like "we'll put the gays in the next one promise" and then never release another one its been 10 years you fuckers

No, Miis aren't going anywhere. Most people love them, as they add some personality to their profiles, and they can make characters based on their own likenesses, or from other video games, or whatever else (Mine is a mishmash of Juste Belmont and a little make-up to dial up the "cute"; Also fits the "androgyny and mystique" which has been associated with my online persona, and a part of me quite likes that). If anything, they'll add more features - I'd love to see them bring back Miiverse and our Miitomo wardrobes, in addition to the Super Smash Bros. costumes. All are seemingly "little things", but the sum of them helps people to stay invested in the ecosystem, in the same way that some PS users might have a degree of attachment to their trophy hauls, and XBox users to their Gamertags. But equally as much, I'm very confident that they aren't going anywhere because Nintendo uses an advanced version of the Mii Maker to create NPCs - They used it for LOZ: Breath Of The Wild, and also in Tears Of The Kingdom; I suspect it will play an important part in the development of future titles. At least, I hope they won't go anywhere, as I enjoy them, as you can see, and I believe their potential is incredible. 💕✨

Last edited:
I doubt they're going to drop Miis ever; probably just update them slightly overtime.

There was a lot of commotion online when Switch Sports introduced the soulless Xbox avatar-like Sportsmates or whatever. And Miitopia, for all intends and purposes, regnited a lot of interest on messing around with Miis.

They are just as iconic as Mario or Pikachu for the Nintendo brand. And now, you can also expect them be regulars in a Smash roster.

Miis will probably stick around until there's a major paradigm shift in Nintendo's games. For instance, Miis may not be the best approach in VR.

I doubt they're going to drop Miis ever; probably just update them slightly overtime.

There was a lot of commotion online when Switch Sports introduced the soulless Xbox avatar-like Sportsmates or whatever. And Miitopia, for all intends and purposes, regnited a lot of interest on messing around with Miis.

They are just as iconic as Mario or Pikachu for the Nintendo brand. And now, you can also expect them be regulars in a Smash roster.
Off hand I am curious, is sportsmate a term the Famiboards community came up with or is that the official name?

I don't see them going anywhere. They are like a legacy part of the company. They also add a splash of individuality to a users profile which I think is a good thing. You also see Miis appear in Nintendo reporting and promotional material.

You also see them pop up from time to time in other games. Mario Maker 2 for example uses your created Mii for your in game profile. I hope they stick around. They don't need a huge focus or anything but it is the type of legacy content I think has a good value to the brand in its current form.

They’ll continue to be used. They’re still featured in many games (including their own entire series with Tomodachi and Miitopia) and are somewhat integral to My Nintendo.

They just lessened the importance of them on the Switch to try and distance themselves from the Wii branding initially. Switch Sports favored them less because they didn’t know what the hell they were doing with that game (Just read the dev interviews about it. The production hell it went through was insane for what should have been the easiest sequel of all time).

Miis weren't abandoned as they're still part of the Switch OS and myNintendo accounts, they have just been de-emphasized.
I feel they need to overhaul it if they want to keep it long-term

I wouldn't say there was that much commotion around Switch Sports. A lot of people simply weren't bothered, and Mii faces are still supported.

While Miis still find use in select games, they're not really pushed that much as a system-level avatar anymore. Especially with profile icons now offering greater customization between character art, borders, and backgrounds. People can currently still use their Miis as Switch avatars but I could see the Switch follow-up pulling that function in favor of emphasizing the new profile icon system further.

Real talk I spent hours on 3DS and Wii U making as accurate as possible Miis of friends and characters, would be sad if they were killed but I doubt they will be

I personally hate Miis, but I wouldn’t want them to go away for the couple dozen people who continue to stan Miis. They really need an update to stick around, though.

Not entirely. Miis are an integral part of Nintendo history so they’ll pop up from time to time. Nintendo largely phased them out to separate Switch from the Wii/Wii U era though that was more important to do early this generation.

Mii's have pretty much become the star of Mario Kart Tour since they added them last year. I think they'll continue to see use in the future.

I don't think so but I wish they would, I never liked their designs and in any game they're featured in that's not exclusively made around miis, they shit up the aesthetic

I don't think so but I wish they would, I never liked their designs and in any game they're featured in that's not exclusively made around miis, they shit up the aesthetic
They were fine for 2007, they were kind of leaders in that space actually, but the limitations really showed on Miitopia (Switch)

The rework should not veer to close to Xbox avatars, but just add more customizartions and realistic proportions for faces, and allow more customizations for the body.

I think Miis will continue to be a thing for a long time to come, but as we’ve seen with the Switch era, Nintendo is being more reserved about their use and rather than putting them in a bunch of games and making them a mandatory system feature, they’re making an effort to not overuse them now and instead keep them primary to “Mii series” games like Tomodachi Life, Miitomo, Miitopia, etc. I posted some further thoughts about this here before:
On the topic of Miis vs. Sportsmates, lately I’ve felt like I’m kind of alone in being someone who cares very deeply about Miis—Miis were basically my whole world when I was running a StreetPass group during the 3DS/Wii U era—but also doesn’t really mind Sportsmates being a thing in Nintendo Switch Sports? Like, hands down, I absolutely prefer Miis—though, depending on the nonhuman Sportsmates options given, it could become a very tough choice for me in Nintendo Switch Sports—and I think Miis are an under-appreciated form of art and the perfect balance of timeless, simple design but with deep range of customization and potential, but at the same time…I’m fine with Nintendo wanting to give the “Nintendo Sports” series its own identity outside of Miis. I mean, if Miis weren’t included at all I’d definitely be bummed, but they’re still there as an option, and the Sportsmates are just the Animal Crossing Villagers, or Ring Fit Trainees, or Splatoon Inklings, etc., of Nintendo Sports, and I think that’s just…fine? I don’t really view this as “Mii erasure” as most other Mii fans seem to be doing, and it’s clear that Sportsmates aren’t actually the “next generation Miis” as some people seem to believe for reasons I don’t understand. Honestly, while Miis were absolutely a core part of Wii Sports, the series isn’t really about them, it’s about the sports. It’s not like games like StreetPass Mii Plaza, Tomodachi Life, Miitomo, or Miitopia, which were absolutely all about Miis, and I’d consider those to be the true “Mii series” games (and I think Nintendo does, too), and I have no doubt that we’ll still get games like that from time to time so Miis aren’t going anywhere and will still get their time to shine where appropriate. But I think Nintendo has been wanting to scale back their usage of Miis in other games that aren’t entirely built on the concept of Miis, probably for multiple reasons—at first I thought it was just to distance themselves from the Wii branding with Nintendo Switch games, but I think the fact that many people (sadly) grew tired of Miis after their heavy (and required, in many instances) presence on Wii, 3DS, and Wii U is also a factor, as is the fact that I think many people are probably overwhelmed with or disinterested in designing a Mii for a game when they just want to get on with playing the game instead, so Nintendo’s solution is to offer simpler, less intimidating (and, as a result, much less customizable) character creation options for games where it’s appropriate. They did this with Ring Fit Adventure, they did it with Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain, despite their previous installments using Miis (if you count Ring Fit Adventure as the successor to Wii Fit, that is), and now they’re doing it with Nintendo Switch Sports, too—but we’re at least getting an option to still use Miis in this case, so it’s fine by me. Now, if they start removing or sidelining Miis from actual Mii-centric games like Tomodachi Life or Miitopia, then yeah, that’s where I’d draw the line and start being very concerned. But as things are? I think it’s fine. I do miss the days where Miis were everywhere, but at the same time I realize that maybe it’s better for Nintendo to not overuse them and make a lot of people become sick of them. I think how they’re being used now—as a system-level thing that’s still used for amiibo and profile icons, and then sparingly as an option in games where appropriate, sometimes, while saving their real starring roles for Mii-centric games like Miitopia—is just fine.

Miis are useful, don’t see why they would be dropped. If anything the Mii system should be expanded to make them even better, like in Miitopia

not saying anything about anyone in this thread so far, but anecdotally Mii haters tend to either be very vain or entirely devoid of creativity

True but not necessarily sufficient to identify Mii haters. I'm both vain and devoid of creativity, yet still like Miis.

miis aren't going anywhere but they're going to keep getting pushed to the background while nintendo dredges them up to do things like make NPC templates for zelda games

I feel like they already did? For Switch they shoved them into a hidden crevice of the menu for little more than legacy purposes, and I imagine that will be the same for Redacted assuming it's backwards compatible.

As long as Miis remain the face of the Nintendo Account, they will never go away. It won't be the face of the console like on the Wii or Wii U, but they are still an integral part of the Nintendo ecosystem.

I think Miis will stick around for the forseeable future, they fill their own niche that I think Nintendo is happy keeping them around for.

It's kind of funny to think about how Miis and Amiibo have outlived the Wii/Wii U despite their names being derived from that branding. Makes me wish "Game Boy" was still used somewhere outside of NSO stuff.

I fucking love Miis, they're a fun reminder of a simpler time for me. I wish they'd been kept more central on Switch but it's easy to see why they're not - the Wii U sucked and bombed. They wanted to remove any link to that for Switch.

One of my hopes for Switch 2 is that it gets StreetPass functionality and brings back the cool minigames that the 3DS had, I spent heaps of time with them making puzzles and going through the Quest. Switch's UI is nice and snappy but feels devoid of personality.. I know it's not going to happen but..

I wish. They made sense in the Wii/3DS/Wii U era but now they just feel forced. I also never much cared for their designs and will always vastly prefer something like the Animal Crossing player characters or the Sportmates.

I don't really expect Miis to change a whole lot for the foreseeable future. They'll still be there in the background, and the occasional game will feature them, but they aren't really a focus, as they once were.

Switch would've been the cutoff point if they were going to do it. Miis will make it to Drake at least, the system after that is the next potential cutoff.

I hope they bring them back to the spotlight. I've always loved Miis, both for their aesthetic and for their brand of light, casual games, plus the customization aspect.

Just, improve them even further, give us more options.

Miis are great. I remember playing at a friend's house and them creating a Mii for me and while we were making it together someone was like "no make the eyes sadder and more apologetic." 💀

Anyway they need to bring back Miitomo. Now!

Miis are never going to go away if for nothing else than they're an easy way to sell a bunch of smash bros costume dlc.

Id hate if they took them out of Smash. I literally have all my fanfic characters smashified with more or less success.

But it's nice to have gunner sorcerer Juan José Belnades proving his worth agaisnt motherfucking Simon Belmont 😊♥️

Include me in favour of keeping Miis for as long as Nintendo keeps making systems! They seem to get a bad reputation from certain groups like Mario fans, so it was a surprise that I enjoyed them a lot! They have a sense of purity and universality that are not found on merely any Nintendo character, and their deep customisation is surprising.

If anything, there should be ways to expand their customisation options. Expanded hair colours for Switch is a good step, but things like adding more accessories and clothing would really make them feel more distinct.

Thank you for reading.

Back
Top Bottom