• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Will Metroid Prime 4: Beyond be 70 dollars?

Will Metroid Prime 4: Beyond be 70 dollars?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
I think some people still expect Retro to turn around and pop a new Metroid Prime out after 2-3 years, which just isn't as feasible in the HD era with the added impact of the pandemic.
💯💯💯 that what i was thinking too. Love to these folks though i wish 2025 surprises them delightfully

But Prime 3 sold very poorly.

You need to come up with reasons why this will sell 3-5x more than Prime 3. Dread has nothing in common with the Metroid Prime series.
This isn’t Prime 3. This isn’t 2007. This isn’t a smaller casual base built. This isn’t where gaming was smaller compared to modern times.

We will have to see if there's any refinements or boundaries pushed in the final game, the animations and sound design in the trailer were extremely bad. It didn't really come across as a title that had already been in development for 5.5 years and I wouldn't be shocked if there was another reboot that happened in those 5.5 years.
Idk, the animations looked pretty dope as is to me, and i agree the unbarred loudness of some sounds in the trailer would be unsatiable in game, but i believe sound design in a Cinematic trailer - and if from the game still a year out - is likely misleading. Hope the game get you right though by launch though 🤝

But Prime 3 sold very poorly.

You need to come up with reasons why this will sell 3-5x more than Prime 3. Dread has nothing in common with the Metroid Prime series.
It not 2007 anymore though my gang 🙏 The reach of word of mouth and advertisement is exponentially better today, and interest in less casual/more invested gaming experience leagues ahead of the Wii

This is going to be the last time we have this argument about $60 vs $70. Switch 2 is going to be mostly $70.

That's why I'm leaning towards $70. Super late big release with tears already setting the precedent. I think they won't price their 2-5 million sellers at $60 on Switch 2. $70 will just be the new norm for the bigger titles. Idk who knows. Don't you think they will try to charge 70 for whatever the sequel is to Echoes of Wisdom even on Switch 2? And Mario and Luigi Switch 2. Hmm. Maybe Nintendo will be different. I can't decide.
Imo $70 will just be purely in demand, when Nintendo know a large amount of buyers have already decided they will be buying before preorder is listed, they'll mark up the 17% as long as they know that equal slice of buyers or more can't reconsider. Franchise like Metroid which does not have previous retained buyers from one release to another, and is aiming to target new buyers at higher emphasis than returning will not be marked that extra to $70 imo even on Switch 2

I could also see i think what you saying though, $70 almost becomes an stamp of approval in exclusive quality. Idk though if this outweighs the feeling of risk in buying a top price game for a franchise the buyer not familiar with though

Idk, the animations looked pretty dope as is to me, and i agree the unbarred loudness of some sounds in the trailer would be unsatiable in game, but i believe sound design in a Cinematic trailer - and if from the game still a year out - is likely misleading. Hope the game get you right though by launch though 🤝

There are essentially no hit recognition animations from the Space Pirates when they get hit outside of

1. A canned dying animation
2. A canned flinch animation that only occurs when hit by the charge beam or missiles.

(which is the same as in prior games)

Which just looks super amateurish in 2024.

This just doesn't look like it has good gunplay at all and consumers hate first person platforming so I'm not sure where the expanded audience is supposed to come from based on the footage. Something COULD be in the game that appeals to mainstream audiences, but what in the trailer suggested any mainstream appeal?

If this was third-person, or showed great gunplay, or had a really interesting looking story, the 5m+ projections would be justifiable, but this looks like a pretty straight continuation and I don't see how this breaks into the mainstream at all.

Last edited:
There are essentially no hit recognition animations from the Space Pirates when they get hit outside of

1. A canned dying animation
2. A canned flinch animation that only occurs when hit by the charge beam or missiles.

(which is the same as in prior games)

Which just looks super amateurish in 2024.

This just doesn't look like it has good gunplay at all and consumers hate first person platforming so I'm not sure where the expanded audience is supposed to come from based on the footage. Something COULD be in the game that appeals to mainstream audiences, but what in the trailer suggested any mainstream appeal?
you have yet to prove people care negatively about any of the things you brought up. all you're doing is projecting

you have yet to prove people care negatively about any of the things you brought up. all you're doing is projecting

Okay, but why do you think this will sell much more than Prime 3.

Like, consumers have shown no interest whatsoever in so-so game feel immersive sims or first-person platforming games for a really long time. Arkane Austin pivoted to GaaS before being shut down because Prey was a complete failure. Dishonored did not do great either. Prime 4's footage shows no significant changes from Prime 3.

(And yes, I think people care a lot about shooting game feel which is in large part conveyed by how enemies react to being shot?)

Like, obviously people can disagree with my extreme disappointment at how little innovation Prime 4 showed in the footage, but I'm kind of baffled by people who are projecting massive growth over Prime 3 financially based on the footage. The footage shows basically no significant changes from Prime 3. That could change, but the footage available suggests a very direct sequel to a niche title. There are potential innovations, but these are not shown at all and could make the game less appealing to mainstream audiences.

Last edited:
My bad btw i not laughing at you i respect your opinion entirely it just these bloomberg articles and game industry articles were annoying in 2023, now it's 2024 where's my switch 2 VGC and Eurogamer? 😂

But i think the marketing is worse to release seperate SKU's especially at any price markup if all they got is built in hardware at work. The marketing of these teams releasing new games instead of tweaking their old games is far better imo, i think Nintendo will move forth. Buyers as well prefer new, the exclusivity of Switch 2 logo and marketing to only Switch 2 titles i could only see as beneficial to pushing sales momentum of Switch 2, but idk it not happened yet of course
Oh, whenever I refer to the possibility of cross-gen Switch 1/Switch 2 games, I'm not referring to having completely separate SKUs. What I had in mind was Nintendo putting the logos of both consoles on the box, and handling any improvements Smart Delivery-style. That way, the games can still be seen as relevant even in the new generation.

Metroid is still a niche franchise, until Nintendo managed to make Metroid sucefull, they should avoid at all cost pricing Metroid Prime 4 at $70, Mario, Legend of Zelda can be priced at $70, but Metroid no.

It's 3D

3D is inherently more exciting
It is but I think 2D series have sold better.

IIRC
New Super Mario Bros. series outsold 3D Mario for the longest time.

We used to talk about how casuals prefer 2D Mario over the complex exploration of a 3D Mario. This used to be a topic before Odyssey's major success.

And this used to be a discussion people had to explain why Nintendo made 3D Land and 3D World as a sort of "in between/hybrid" of 2D level and 3D. They thought it would sell better, going back to the core root of Mario Bros. Linear Levels with easier to grasp platforming. That was a big push for 3D Land.

Big reason why I always felt like the Switch was a miracle for Nintendo's core gamers. Finally, the bigger game franchises we want were getting the sales numbers.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the next 60 dollar Nintendo game will be the next 3D Mario for Switch 2.

Metroid Prime 4 Beyond is going for an even longer development cycle than TotK did, but Metroid isn't Zelda to afford costing 70$.

At most I can see it having 2 SKUs with the Switch 2 version costing 70 and Switch costing 60 and a next gen patch for 10 bucks, but even that seems unlikely.

Expecting it to be $70, despite a lot pre-orders locked in at $60. Both because of how well Tears of the Kingdom did at that price range, but also just the unusually long development time (honestly, Nintendo likely recovered from any losses from sales of various games over the years, but they'd likely use it as one of the justifications for a higher cost).

Retro wasn't taken off Metroid. The studio was burned out on the series after Prime 3 and wanted to work on something else.

This was the story behind what happened, according to Tanabe

tUm5wyG.png

I have a hard time seeing them sell Metroid Prime 4 for $70 when the entire Metroid series combined has sold fewer copies in 38 years than Tears of the Kingdom has in one year. It's not a commercially successful franchise like their other stars and they are going to alienate potential buyers with a $70 than anything else.
If it's "cross-platform," I imagine all Switch 2 games will have a $70 base rate (even if it's sold under Switch 1 branding, MP4 will likely be another $70 Switch game).
I also don't see Switch 2 games starting at $70. Some games will be $70, but not all. We don't even see all PS5 and Xbox Series X games launching at $70, and they are more demanding systems than Switch 2 in terms of higher power and game size. Helldivers 2 launched at $40 and became the fastest selling PS game of all time. I think the industry will take note of that.

Back
Top Bottom