• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions Will Metroid Prime 4 be switch's swan song?

Will prime 4 be the last big game on switch

• Yes

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • No

Votes: 17 47.2%

• Total voters

lemonfresh

#Team2024
Pronouns
He/Him
Do you think prime 4 will be the last big game on the og switch just like botw on wii u? Personally it's a perfect game to end the console on imo when it comes to big releases. It was also one of the forst games to be announced way back in 2017.

Yeah it could well be, but if it is cross-gen (probably), I'm deff buying it on the new system.

At the end of the day, there is no better way to technically showcase a system than a Prime game. I think MP:R showed that, and so it absolutely has to be on Switch 2.

Pokemon is most certainly launching on Switch in 2025, and I dont think Prime 4 is releasing after that.. so my answer would be no.

I actually don't think it will be a big enough hit to be considered a swansong. I just don't see it being anywhere near as good or popular as Tears of the Kingdom or whatever the next 3D Mario is, assuming that comes to the current Switch. The development has been extremely rocky, and it's a sequel to a series whose sales have only decreased with each new entry. Hopefully I'm proved wrong.

Unless Game Freak suddenly changes how they've worked since the DS days for the successor no reason to think it won't be mainline Pokemon.

it's a sequel to a series whose sales have only decreased with each new entry
Prime 3 actually sold more than Prime 2 by a bit, unless you're referring to the series as a whole (but Dread is the best-selling Metroid game to date).

If all 2024 will probably have a Switch 2 version can Prime 4, Peach and probably a Pokemon game, can they be considered a a swang song for og Switch?

Because I cannot see any 2024 release to not be cross gen

Prime 3 actually sold more than Prime 2 by a bit, unless you're referring to the series as a whole (but Dread is the best-selling Metroid game to date).
Oh really? Ok that's my bad. I still don't have high hopes for the game, but then I didn't like Prime Remastered.

Depends what you mean by swan song. If you mean "last major release before the launch of a new system", then yes, it'll be Metroid Prime 4 (though at this point, it'll probably be a crossgen title with Nintendo highlighting the Switch 2 version, ala Twilight Princess or Breath of the Wild). If you mean "last major release before a system's discontinuation", then it'll be a mainline Pokémon, since that series never jumps ship to new hardware until the second (Gold/Silver, Ruby/Sapphire, Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee) or even third (Diamond/Pearl and X/Y) holiday season.

EDIT: Actually, we're totally gonna get a Pokémon game for Switch in Holiday 2024, so it'll be Pokémon regardless.

Last edited:
I actually don't think it will be a big enough hit to be considered a swansong. I just don't see it being anywhere near as good or popular as Tears of the Kingdom or whatever the next 3D Mario is, assuming that comes to the current Switch. The development has been extremely rocky, and it's a sequel to a series whose sales have only decreased with each new entry. Hopefully I'm proved wrong.

Although probably not commercially, being one of Nintendo's most prestigious IP, It's the only series not called Mario or Zelda that has any shot of breaking the 95 barrier.

Nope, we'll get bigger Nintendo published games after that. My guess is either Pokémon Legends Genesect or Pokémon Pitch Black and Vibrant White.

PPPP. The passion and prestige Prime process.

PPPP. The passion and prestige Prime process.

Mods @Aurc quoted me twice am I in trouble?

v1.czsxMDI2OTk2MjtqOzE5MTc3

Mods @Aurc quoted me twice am I in trouble?

v1.czsxMDI2OTk2MjtqOzE5MTc3
I don't know what it is, but sometimes when I submit a post, it hangs for a bit before dropping in two. I usually catch it and delete the dupe, but I didn't realize it happened this time.

zDjnS94.jpg

I still think it might be a H1 2024 release, so if you mean "last major Switch 1 release before Switch 2", it can be.
But if it comes in say March or May, I think that the EPD Donkey Kong game will come after that and probably be Switch exclusive as well(I mean until the next gen patch).
If it ends up being a cross gen game, I still don't think it's gonna be the swan song because Pokémon will probably have a mainline release in 2024 that's coming to Switch.
And with game freak always being the last to jump of the boat, if gen X is 2025 it'll most likely be cross gen as well.
I believe Switch will get cross gen support through 2025 with a lot of games that can be seen as major releases. No reason it's gonna have a swan song like flop machines that Nintendo just wanted to get rid of when they can make a lot of money selling games to a gigantic userbase.

I fully expect games through at least 2024 and 2025, for roughly 1.5-2 years after the successor shows up, so no, I very much doubt it.

Not really;

Switch will get quite a few 1st Party exclusive games even after the next hardware is already out.

Not if it's out next year - I think the Switch will still get some smaller cross-gen type releases or smaller projects throughout 2025.

If there was a hard cutoff on Switch support by the time Switch 2 launched then yeah I'd say Prime 4 would probably be the last big 1st party game. But I kinda expect some Switch titles to still trickle out in 2025 and beyond. Pokémon is a good example of a franchise that's a late adopter for new hardware so expect something to pop up on Switch in holiday 2024 for example.

Back
Top Bottom