• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion "Will I like Shin Megami Tensei if I like Persona?" - A beginners guide to Shin Megami Tensei and if you might like SMTV!

Will you be buying Shin Megami Tensei V?

• Yes, and I was already convinced.

Votes: 17 89.5%
  • Yes, and this thread convinced me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • No, and I was already decided.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, and this thread helped me decide.

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

HylianSeven

Cappy
Pronouns
He/Him
You're probably thinking just by that thread title "This sure sounds familiar...", and you're right...and you know exactly where you read it. It was a success at that other place, and I think it will be one here too. I know these kinds of questions come up in most circles, and so far the explanation below has helped a lot of people answer them. Without further ado, onto the topic.

In threads about the soon to be released Shin Megami Tensei V, the question of "If I like Persona, will I like this?" comes up often. It's a totally fair and reasonable question, as the games share a lot of DNA. I figured it was worth making a thread to try to help anyone asking these kinds of questions determine if they should buy SMTV, and perhaps suggest other games as well.

I also want to emphasize that you don't have to follow all this advice if you don't want to. Do what you want! This is just a guide for those unsure or overwhelmed by the sheer number of games and spinoffs.

What is a Persona game?

Persona is a series more well known than Shin Megami Tensei these days. It was a spinoff game of the Megami Tensei franchise. In the mainline Shin Megami Tensei series, after SMT II, there was a game called Shin Megami Tensei if... It was an alternate scenario of SMT1 where the apocalypse part never happened. You're a high school student (and can even choose male or female!) and another student summons demons, and throws the school into an alternate dimension. You can choose one of the available students to ally with, and then the quest begins. You still negotiate, recruit, and fuse demons like in other SMT games, but you can also have "guardians" you summon to have the protagonist use skills. Some of this may sound familiar, because Persona actually spun off as a result of this game! The protagonist from this game actually appears in Persona 1 and 2.

Persona 1 had the Japanese title of "Megami Ibunroku Persona". The "Megami Ibunroku" branding was used on Devil Survivor 1 too. From Nocturne up through Persona 4, the games had the Shin Megami Tensei branding in the west. This was due to trying to make it recognizable, since up to that point, Nocturne released first. Before Nocturne, Persona 1 was localized as "Revelations: Persona", as well as Last Bible 1, a spinoff set in a medieval fantasy. Last Bible 1's localization was called "Revelations: The Demon Slayer". Persona 2 Innocent Sin's PS1 version was not localized, and Eternal Punishment didn't have the Revelations OR SMT branding on it.

Persona games take the concept of people wearing many masks (or Personas), and are often more driven by their characters. All of them have some kind of aspect where you can get to know the characters throughout the game. Persona 1 and 2 have frequent rooms in dungeons where you can talk to the rest of the cast. Persona 3, 4, and 5 have social links and the calendar. Characters can change Personas which gives them different sets of skills and changes their weaknesses and resistances. In P3/4/5, only the protagonist can do this.

Persona games generally don't have quite the apocalyptic events that SMT games do, and usually they revolve around a school.

The games have dungeon crawling, fusion, and the weakness exploiting based combat all in common with SMT. These elements have some differences, but they are similar concepts. The Persona games also use the same pool of demons drawn by Kazuma Kaneko as Personas. This is mainly due to budgetary restrictions, but it's been a long held tradition. Any Personas designed exclusively for the Persona series will stay that way. Some mythological entities have multiple designs by Kaneko, with one for Persona and another for SMT. The Personas often take a more mask-like appearance. Ever since Persona 3, Soejima does the artwork for any new Personas in the series.

Persona games will often have a story following a certain mythology, usually having the characters represent characters from that mythology story. For instance, in Persona 3, it's based on Greek Mythology. The protagonist's initial Persona is Orpheus, and other characters have Personas of that same mythology. Akihiko has Atlas, Koromaru has Cerberus, etc. Some certain villains wield Personas that are adversaries of those characters. The final boss battle does end up being a form of an actual Greek mythological entity.

What is a Shin Megami Tensei game?

SMT games have a more apocalyptic scenario and are more about taking a side to determine how the world would be rebuilt. They involve demons showing up, as well as recruitment and fusion of them. The combat involves exploiting weaknesses. They're more focused on the world rather than the characters, but there's still some great characters in the series.

SMT's gameplay loop does not have a calendar or social link or anything like that, it's more about going dungeon to dungeon, usually having a fairly large map to explore. SMTV in particular looks like it has exploration elements to it. You can probably compare it closely to the dungeons of Persona 5, but you aren't on the clock to complete them. SMT dungeons are hand-crafted, and has had some well known good ones, as well as ones that are often cited as a pain. The games aren't ALL serious all the time, as there's sometimes lighthearted jokes in them. They do deal with fairly serious topics about reshaping the world, and even emphasizing that none of the sides are necessarily objectively "good" or "evil".

Recruitment and fusion of demons plays a huge role in SMT. In Persona games, if you struggled on a boss, usually the first thing you did was go look at the protagonist's Personas and find a good one or two that would work for the boss. In SMT, you want to tailor your set of demons for a situation as you need them, and make sure not to have any dead weight! If a boss is weak to ice, every single demon should be using Bufu, otherwise they're fairly useless. This also includes covering the protagonist's weaknesses. In Nocturne, the protagonist has something called Magatama, which are a thing he can equip that are basically armor and weapons all rolled into one. They bestow skills, and change his weaknesses and resistances. In that game, you have to choose the correct Magatama that fits the situation.

I mentioned in Persona how it often has characters representing different figures, but in SMT it just straight up has those figures fighting each other in the game. In Shin Megami Tensei IV, you'll witness Scathach training Setanta to become Cu Chulainn, or you'll witness archangels fighting the armies of Lucifer. You'll often see either YHVH ("God", spelled that way because it's unpronounceable, and can also be interpreted to mean "Yahweh") or something in his stead fighting against Lucifer and his minions. YHVH himself has only actually been in two SMT games, but he is mentioned in some other ones.

Will I like SMT if I have only played Persona?

That depends on what you like about a Persona, but I do think you should give it a try! Regardless I'll go through a few things that people like about Persona.

If you liked Persona 1 or 2, you'll almost certainly like SMT! There's no real question of that!

If you liked the social link and character aspect, you may not like SMT. It doesn't really have that kind of thing.

If you loved the Persona designs, or the enemies in Persona 5, then I think you would like SMT. Most of the demons are from the brilliant mind of Kazuma Kaneko. While he is basically soft retired, his creations are still used in the series to this day, and his influence is felt.

If you liked the dungeons of Persona 3 and 4 you might like SMT, but SMT dungeons are not randomized.

If you like Persona 1, 2, or 5 dungeons, you will probably like SMT. The dungeons are often structured in a similar manner.

If you like the time limited calendar aspect, SMT does not have that.

If you like Persona 3, 4, and 5's combat, you'll definitely like SMT. It's different, but still involved some form of exploiting weaknesses to gain extra turns.

If you liked the endgame story arcs of Persona 3/4/5, you will probably like SMT. They have the apocalyptic elements of those endgame story arcs across the whole game. In SMTV you've probably seen in the footage that the protagonist gets taken to a ruined Tokyo, called Da'at, implied to be Tokyo after an apocalyptic event.

Will SMTV be a good place to start if I have never played any SMT game?

While it can't be said definitively until more people have played it, based on previews and footage presented so far, SMTV should definitely be a good place to start. There's a wide array of difficulty options, including "Safety" as free DLC, which is for players that just want to experience the story, easy, normal, and hard. The UI has things very clearly explained, as well as concise tutorials on mechanics introduced.

What other games should I give a try?

The entire Megami Tensei franchise has a ton of spinoff series, plenty untranslated, some fan translated, and many properly localized. One thing that's important is that much like Persona, unless the game is a direct sequel, you should be clear to play it on any order!

81mmQ+xEhxL._SL1500_.jpg

Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster came out earlier this year, and is considered by many (myself included) to be the best game in the series. Don't let the memes about Matador scare you, it's not a hard game, just one that requires you pay attention and use all the tools given to you. It's pretty straightforward with it's mechanics. While the remastered version kept the changes minimal, and some technical aspects took a small hit, all the gains it has made it the definitive version of the game. It's available on PS4 (or 5 with BC), Switch, and Steam. It's full price is a bit overpriced, but to me it was worth it. It has gone on sale a few times, and would be one to watch for the fall and winter Steam sales. The original version of the game is of course available as a PS2 disc, but also as a PS2 Classic on PS3, but this version has some minor technical issues.

815uewDXaPL._SL1406_.jpg
81VSAAO-DkL._SL1500_.jpg

Devil Survivor is a strategy RPG, more focused on characters, but having many hallmarks of SMT. A lot of people like to go from Persona to these games. The games are completely independent plot wise, but share similar gameplay. You can play them in any order! They are on DS and 3DS, but I recommend the 3DS versions as they're a straight upgrade, including extra content that doesn't interfere with the game's original storyline.

71stOptb5zL._SL1048_.jpg
71NUZrROfLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Digital Devil Saga are games really sold by their atmosphere, story, and characters. Gameplay is much like Nocturne. Instead of recruiting demons, your party members transform into them and learn skills on a system with some aspects of a skill tree called the Mantra system. There's really nothing quite like them. Important thing here is you DO need to play them in order. DDS2 is a direct sequel to DDS1, and you would be very confused starting with the second game. Many people consider them one long game broken into two parts, but you do start at level 1 in DDS2 and a story reason for that is given. I can't think of anyone that played these games and didn't like them. The original PS2 discs can be hard to find, but both games are available as PS2 Classics on PS3. They do have some emulation issues, but definitely look up how to use the secret emulation menu on the PS3 to mitigate some of this. I hope they do an HD Remaster of these one day, more people should discover these games. I played them for the first time this year and did LttP threads on both.

2478691-box_smtppsp.png
Persona_2_Innocent_Sin_US_Cover_Art.jpg
Persona_2_EP_cover.jpg

Persona 1 is a game I know many Persona fans have not played. I enjoyed it, but totally understand why many people do not. However I do recommend the Persona 2 duology. The games should be played in order. Innocent Sin is the first one, and a rather easy game, but with an excellent cast of characters. It's only English localization is the PSP version. Eternal Punishment is the second one, and my favorite Persona game. It's difficulty is right in the sweet spot between too easy and too hard. It's only English localization is the PS1 version, when Atlus only started doing faithful localizations. Some of the names are the Americanized names from the original Persona 1 localization. Eternal Punishment is available as a PS1 Classic on PS3 and PSP. The actual disc costs an arm and a leg, so good luck trying to track that down lol.

81u4ZnAcEUL._SL1500_.jpg
81XM714tLtL._SL1500_.jpg

Shin Megami Tensei IV can also be a great place to start, or something to play after you play V. It is an excellent game that is pretty easy to get into, and especially for newcomers to the series, can provide a challenge. SMT IV Apocalypse is NOT the same game, and is actually a sequel to IV. Play IV first! IV Apocalypse goes a different direction with the storyline, incorporating unfortunate shonen anime tropes. However it's gameplay is top notch, and I think with that aspect alone, you'll probably have a good time with it.

There's many other games in the overarching franchise, some translated, many untranslated, so check out the ones that sound interesting to you. Ideally, I encourage everyone to check out Shin Megami Tensei V when it comes out. It's shaping up to be a good entry point in the franchise and an incredible game. Please let me know what other questions you want to see here that aren't mentioned above, and I'll add them to the OP!

I actually played Devil Survivor as my first SMT game before getting into Persona. DeSu (both games) are some of my favorite games in the series, so I highly recommend those especially as an SRPG fan. 2 also kinda has a pseudo Social Link system too with it's Fate system (though it's obv not quite as long).

I actually played Devil Survivor as my first SMT game before getting into Persona. DeSu (both games) are some of my favorite games in the series, so I highly recommend those especially as an SRPG fan. 2 also kinda has a pseudo Social Link system too with it's Fate system (though it's obv not quite as long).
Yep, stuff like the Fate system in DS2 were things that made me recommend that as something to jump to from Persona. Both games are driven by interacting with characters, usually having some kind of mechanic choosing how you spend your time each day, and are at the appropriate place at the appropriate time. In DS2, there's the thing about prevent a character from dying permanently when the video shows it and tells you what time. DS1 has a lot more to it's routes and who you choose to interact with often ends up what humans will go with you by the end of the game.

Without going into spoiler territory, there's even a character that will actually die if you didn't get their Fate to a certain level or higher in Devil Survivor 2.

Bang-up thread :coffee:
Now I just gotta reverse alla that in my brain to answer the question "Will I like Persona if I like SMT?"
Persona 1&2, probably, especially Persona 2. Persona 1 is a good game, but a lot of people bounce off of it and I totally get why. I enjoyed it though, even though I think it's the worst Persona game.

Persona 3/4/5 it really depends. They do have the gameplay loop of weakness exploiting combat giving you extra turns. It's not Press Turn, but it's a "1 more" system where every time you knock down an enemy by hitting their weakness, you get another turn on that same character. If you manage to knock all the enemies down, you'll get the chance to do an All Out Attack, where everyone runs in and deals a lot of damage in one of those cartoon fight cloud things. You'll find most of the time you should just do it in Persona 3 and 4, but there are some enemies in Persona 4 that are resistant to All Out Attacks. Persona 5 has the same system, except it's how you negotiate with enemies to get them as Personas. In Persona 3&4, the enemies are generic "shadows", not using any Kaneko demons. Persona 5 still has "shadows", but they're Kaneko demons this time. Persona 5's gameplay is the closest to SMT out of those three. It's dungeons are handcrafted. Persona 3 & 4's dungeons are randomly generated.

Good thread will definitely add this fantastic info into the OT for others to see as well.

Great work

If you like Persona 1, 2, or 5 dungeons, you will probably like SMT. The dungeons are often structured in a similar manner.

It's worth noting that they're more complicated than 5's at least, especially once you get to the endgame. They're not as long necessarily but the layouts are more confusing. Persona 5's dungeons have somewhat straightforward layouts sometimes centered around stealth or a specific gimmick. SMT's can have you occasionally getting lost.

If you like Persona 3, 4, and 5's combat, you'll definitely like SMT. It's different, but still involved some form of exploiting weaknesses to gain extra turns.

It's also worth mentioning that mainline SMT is uh, generally harder. There is an easy mode but easy mode SMT is easier than normal mode Persona and makes a lot of the game more trivial, and there's not really a middle ground between medium and easy that places the games at Persona difficulty (at least going off SMT4 and 4A). This doesn't apply to Devil Survivor as much and I'd say those games are fairly close to Persona 3 in terms of difficulty.

If anyone wants to play Persona 1 for some reason, I'd recommend modding in the original OST into the PSP version. I love the P1 Meguro songs, I just don't think they fit P1's SMT-lite vibe.

It's a shame there's no way to mod in the unique character themes from the PS1 version but actually having access to the other half of the game that was dummied out in the western PS1 version makes up for it. The PSP version is the definitive edition of that game

Excellent thread!

As someone who played SMT Strange Journey, III, IV, Apocalypse and both Devil Survivor games, it’s safe to say I like them.

I’ve often thought of it that Persona seems a hell of a lot more accessible, and has become increasingly so- not just in terms of presentation, but in the way it allows for expression, the calendar system allows a lot of room to play the game outside the dungeons the way you want to play it. Much of the running time isn’t about conflict, it’s about pursuing the aspects of what you want to do outside of conflict, enjoying the company of the rest of the party.

In contrast to that, SMT is about conflict through and through, philosophically, martially, you’re fighting to survive in a post-apocalyptic world under new rules. I don’t think it’s a great introduction to JRPGs in that it’s less accessible, but to people with a few of them under their belt, there’s so much depth to it that it’s appealing. That’s not to say there isn’t depth to Persona, obviously there is mechanically as they share combat systems, but part of SMT’s appeal is the weird world and demon stock that you have to unpack and understand piece by piece, it’s really rewarding.

SMT is also closer to a traditional JPRG with overworld areas, dungeons and towns, although they can be more varied and unsettling with that weird fiction/horror tone. Although there’s a big difference in that your party (well, at least in the mainline games) aren’t the usual mixed bag of JRPG types ready to comment on everything from different perspectives- it’s more like a monster-collecting RPG in that it’s really just you and the demon force you are developing, who are all contracted to serve you and sacrificed to improve the team.

So to answer the question, I look at it that it depends what exactly you liked about Persona. if you liked Persona for its depth and combat mechanics, it’s the same question as if you liked any other relatively accessible JRPG like Pokemon or FF- yes, SMT is a bit tougher to get your head around due to the sense that you’re thrown into a weird world where the rules have changed, everything is strange and lethal, but it’s incredibly rewarding. On the other hand, if what you liked about Persona was all the social links and skits and the dungeons and combat were more what you rushed through in order to get to the hanging-out-with-the-gang bits you liked, then maybe not.

Last edited:
If anyone wants to play Persona 1 for some reason, I'd recommend modding in the original OST into the PSP version. I love the P1 Meguro songs, I just don't think they fit P1's SMT-lite vibe.

It's a shame there's no way to mod in the unique character themes from the PS1 version but actually having access to the other half of the game that was dummied out in the western PS1 version makes up for it. The PSP version is the definitive edition of that game
I always thought it was weird that they replaced that music with nothing in the PSP version. Even the "awakening" track when you're just watching a battle of someone using their Persona for the first time is just using the generic battle theme. I agree that the PSP soundtrack is good in a vacuum, but doesn't fit the context at all. Really doesn't fit to hear "IF YOU WANT IT BAYBEHHHHHH" as you're in a school being used as a fortification against demons.

great OP!

what I really hope is that the ratio between overworld exploration and dungeon crawling is well balanced and paced. If it would be so, this will be a Home run.

Coming from the other side as someone who could never really get into Persona all that much because of the calendar system, this is an interesting read. Either way, it is put together really well!

Coming from the other side as someone who could never really get into Persona all that much because of the calendar system, this is an interesting read. Either way, it is put together really well!
I think if you're going from SMT to Persona, you should give Persona 1 and 2 a try. I know Persona 1 is hit and miss for most people, but Persona 2 is really good! Innocent Sin is the easier game and I think it's the weakest gameplay-wise, but Eternal Punishment brings the difficulty to a perfect level and I think that makes it's gameplay and combat a lot of fun.

Nice topic. I'm coming from Persona to SMT with V, and while I appreciate the social links and time management of Persona I'm interested to see a more traditional SMT too.

I think if you're going from SMT to Persona, you should give Persona 1 and 2 a try. I know Persona 1 is hit and miss for most people, but Persona 2 is really good! Innocent Sin is the easier game and I think it's the weakest gameplay-wise, but Eternal Punishment brings the difficulty to a perfect level and I think that makes it's gameplay and combat a lot of fun.
My story is that I played about half of P4G and a third of P5R before I eventually dropped them. Managing the calendar and social links feels more like a chore to me. I am constantly afraid of missing something and feel like I have to plot out my every move before I make it, which after some time starts to become tedious to me — which is funny because, conversely, I love putting in that kind of work when it comes to battles. It's a shame because other than that I enjoyed my time with them, especially when it comes to P4.

Long story short, I think it's a me-problem and unless P1/2 don't have a calendar system, I doubt things will turn out all that different for me.

My story is that I played about half of P4G and a third of P5R before I eventually dropped them. Managing the calendar and social links feels more like a chore to me. I am constantly afraid of missing something and feel like I have to plot out my every move before I make it, which after some time starts to become tedious to me — which is funny because, conversely, I love putting in that kind of work when it comes to battles. It's a shame because other than that I enjoyed my time with them, especially when it comes to P4.

Long story short, I think it's a me-problem and unless P1/2 don't have a calendar system, I doubt things will turn out all that different for me.
Well boy do I have some good news for you! P1 and P2 do not have a calendar system! There's no social links or anything like that. P1 and P2's version of that is these rooms somewhat frequently throughout dungeons where all the party members are standing around and you can speak to them, hearing their feelings on the current situation. I think you'll almost surely like P1 and P2 (or at least P2, people bounce off of P1 for a number of understandable reasons).

Well boy do I have some good news for you! P1 and P2 do not have a calendar system! There's no social links or anything like that. P1 and P2's version of that is these rooms somewhat frequently throughout dungeons where all the party members are standing around and you can speak to them, hearing their feelings on the current situation. I think you'll almost surely like P1 and P2 (or at least P2, people bounce off of P1 for a number of understandable reasons).
Oh wow, I had no idea! Seems like I have something to get into after SMT V, then. Hopefully Atlus will make them available on more platforms, because it seems like the only viable option right now is playing them on Vita, but I don't own one anymore. :/

I'm sure Persona 1 is about 20-30 hours, maybe 50 if you do both the main sebec and snow quest. Persona 2 is 30-40 hours each game. They are short games lol

Now I think about it, the Raidou Kuzunoha and DDS games are short too.

It's one thing I always appreciated about Atlus RPGs, they usually don't last too long, always felt they end when they should and are usually paced really well.

Good write up, HylianSeven.

P3/P4/P5 are all 80-100 hours lol. P3F and P5R are over 100 hours.
I still think there other games being like 50 to 80 hours is still long, but I guess you meant it's shorter in terms of Atlus games lol.
I don't think P3 and P4 were that long, were they? It's been a while but i remember beating P4: Golden in around 60-70 hours. I'd have to dig out my Vita from storage to check but I can't be arsed lol.

Let me rephrase what I said then: It's one thing I always appreciated about Atlus RPGs, they usually last, always felt they end when they should and are usually paced well.

I don't think P3 and P4 were that long, were they? It's been a while but i remember beating P4: Golden in around 60-70 hours. I'd have to dig out my Vita from storage to check but I can't be arsed lol.

Let me rephrase what I said then: It's one thing I always appreciated about Atlus RPGs, they usually last, always felt they end when they should and are usually paced well.
That I'll mostly agree with lol (though I did feel vanilla P5 could get sloggy, P5R fixed that for me).

P4G can be beaten in about 65-80 hours, yes.

I look forward to Persona 6 releasing and being 120 hours long, then a couple of years later Persona 6: Sapphire releasing and being 200 hours long.
My statement will still ring true.

iu

I'm playing Shin Megami Tensei IV and really enjoying it. It's a great game, it's hard but you get along. The plot is amazing, the dungeons are great and the characters are awesome.

Before that, I've played Persona 5 from start to finish and it's one of my favorite games of all time. I'm finding SMT IV very welcoming.
I also played some Persona 3 Portable and only the start of Nocturne. Will get back to those in the future. But right now SMT IV is what is really holding me!

I think 100h games are definitely a bit much for a single player game. They should go back to 70-80h.

So I am interested in this game but I can't stand difficult games anymore. You mention a safety difficulty as free DLC but I didn't see it in the eshop page, do we know for a fact it will be there? I never got BD2 because the last demo was too hard for me and I'd rather not buy this game and drop it due to difficulty.

So I am interested in this game but I can't stand difficult games anymore. You mention a safety difficulty as free DLC but I didn't see it in the eshop page, do we know for a fact it will be there? I never got BD2 because the last demo was too hard for me and I'd rather not buy this game and drop it due to difficulty.
It will in fact be there. I haven't looked at the eShop stuff for the game, but they have said 100% sure in a video that it will be there.

It's a little confusing how the chart is here, but there's an asterisk on the Safety difficulty and Japanese voice pack, saying they are free DLC. I know they are only X'd on the chart under Digital Deluxe, but I think the difference is you just have to go download it if you buy the base game digitally, or buy it on retail.

Sorry to bump this old thread, but in light of the current Eshop sale, I had a few questions regarding the SMT games. I have never played Persona so I can't compare to those games. I have played Tokyo Mirage Sessions if that is worth anything.

I notice a few games not mentioned in the OP, and I was hoping someone could tell me if they are still RPGs or how they differ from SMT:

Devil Summoner: Soul Hacker
Strange Journey Redux

Are these games very difficult? I have heard they are. Do they have difficulty options?

Do they have any DLC?

Thanks for any help!

Sorry to bump this old thread, but in light of the current Eshop sale, I had a few questions regarding the SMT games. I have never played Persona so I can't compare to those games. I have played Tokyo Mirage Sessions if that is worth anything.

I notice a few games not mentioned in the OP, and I was hoping someone could tell me if they are still RPGs or how they differ from SMT:

Strange Journey Redux

Are these games very difficult? I have heard they are. Do they have difficulty options?

Do they have any DLC?

Thanks for any help!

Strange Journey is one of the hardest SMT games, so there is that.
Soul Hackers is not, it's just antiquated (in a good way, it's very "90s cyberpunk" in its design, atmosphere and music). I personally love it to bits and is possibly my favourite game on the 3DS but it was originally a SEGA Saturn/PlayStation 1 game that got ported to the 3DS.

They are both "first person dungeon crawlers", although Soul Hackers has more adventure game segments to interact with NPCs and explore a cyberpunk world, partake in mini games, more shops to visit that kind of thing. The combat system is really quick though and once you realise that casting certain spells basically make the game very easy, you'll be fine.

Strange Journey Redux is basically a remake of the DS game of the same name with a new dungeon, expanded storylines, new endings, new music and new demons/boss battles. You will die a fair bit in this game though, so you may have to be okay with that (there is plenty of save points dotted around everywhere though).

Both games have an old school feel so depends if you're okay with that? Since you're a fan of Tokyo Mirage Sessions, I'd recommend checking out SMT4 to ease you into the series a bit easier (TMS uses basically the same format of attacking weaknesses to gain benefits, similar to the SMT games you've heard about), but if you're actually really into first person dungeon crawlers, by all means, try these out, they're some of the best around and some of the best JRPGs I've ever played personally.

SMT4 is also third person exploration but first person combat, with a sort of small open world feel with loads of nighttime/cyberpunk towns to visit, so that's another part of the appeal with SMT4 aside from the really amazing music.

Strange Journey Redux

Do they have any DLC?

Thanks for any help!

Strange Journey is probably the hardest SMT game out there, but the 3DS version has some QoL changes that make it easier, and it also has difficulty options.

Soul Hackers is easy, but it's also very clunky and antiquated. As an example, it has this system where you have to manage Magnetite, which is like a second currency in the game that gets depleted as you walk around with your demons. Each demon that you have active in your party will deplete a certain amount of Magnetite for each step you take. It's not fun to manage at all.

If you're starting with the franchise, I'd recommend trying one of the numbered titles first. 3, 4 and 5 are all great in their own way, so maybe you could ask questions about them and see which would fit your tastes the most.

Back
Top Bottom