• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Will From Software ever return to Nintendo consoles?

9-Volt

Adept
Pronouns
he/him
From actually have a surprising history with Nintendo machines, they created an exclusive JRPG series for GameCube, Lost Kingdoms. They had exclusives for each console back then. In the 8th gen consoles, From worked with both Sony (Demon's Souls) and Microsoft (Ninja Blade) but skipped Nintendo Wii.

Since then Nintendo platforms have received ports of From games: Cookie & Cream (NDS), Monster Hunter Diary (3DS) and Dark Souls (Switch, by Virtuos) but their last original Nintendo efforts were the few visual novels released on Nintendo DS in 2009.

They keep making original games for other platforms but on Nintendo they are extremely limited, even on the late port front. They haven't done anything for Switch other than the direct port of the first Dark Souls game. And there are MUCH more they can be doing, more than porting the rest of Dark Souls games. Their 7th gen lineup still waiting to get remade/remastered. They could work with Nintendo to bring back Lost Kingdoms 1-2, perfect timing with the Baten Kaitos remasters. There are more, PS2 era Armored Core games, Otogi 1-2 have a collection fo earlier PS2 JRPGs...

What do you think? Will they ever be back? If they will, how?

With ports of current From games (Elden Ring, Armored Core 6) on next generation Nintendo?

With brand new games that'll have day and date versions for next gen Nintendo?

Or they will work with Nintendo for a platform exclusive? remake or original?

Or HD remasters of classic From games?

...or there's some bad blood between two sides and From will never be on Nintendo again?

I seem to remember an interview with Miyazaki where he was less than enthusiastic about Nintendo, but that was the Wii U days.

If Bandai Namco are still publishing From's multiplatform games, then I guess they'll want those on the next Nintendo console as soon as possible.

I can understand why Dark Souls II didn't come to Switch, since I think it wasn't that popular on its original platforms. But I hope they all make it to Switch 2, DS2+3, Sekiro, and Elden Ring.

Bloodborne is a Sony IP, it's pretty much impossible.

But Sekiro could be on the next gen Nintendo if From is willing. Hell, it's not much of a system pusher, they could have a miracle port of it on current Switch.

Ah, thought it might only have generation exclusivity or something.

Bloodborne is a Sony IP, it's pretty much impossible.

But Sekiro could be on the next gen Nintendo if From is willing. Hell, it's not much of a system pusher, they could have a miracle port of it on current Switch.

Sekiro would have to come from Activision rather than from though, right? The thing about all these suggestions is they're not actually down to Fromsoft. Unless I've missed something, they've not really been involved in the later ports of many of their titles since they hit the big time.

If namco bandai wants ports of Elden ring on Switch 2, or Dark souls 2/3 on Switch 1, or activision wants Sekiro on Switch(1/2) , they'll happen, but those are all pretty removed from Fromsoft as a company.

It's the same way that Demon souls only came back at all because the IP owner took their IP and gave it to some other studio. Same with Dark Souls remastered that went through QLOC/Virtuous to take care of the porting to the different platforms, with fromsoft only supervising the work at best.

Sekiro would have to come from Activision rather than from though, right? The thing about all these suggestions is they're not actually down to Fromsoft. Unless I've missed something, they've not really been involved in the later ports of many of their titles since they hit the big time.
Activision is just the western publisher of Sekiro. It's 100% owned by From/Kadokawa and they would have made the decision regarding a Switch port.

Copyright only shows From:
675767_back.jpg

Activision is just the western publisher of Sekiro. It's 100% owned by From/Kadokawa and they would have made the decision regarding a Switch port.

Copyright only shows From:
675767_back.jpg
the IP is from from but the publishing rights are from Activision, the same thing happens with the first game of The Outer World and Take Two.
So any release of the first Sekiro depends of activision

With ports of current From games (Elden Ring, Armored Core 6) on next generation Nintendo?
I sure hope so. Elden Ring would be more digestible if I could play it on the go. And portable Armored Core would be AMAZING.

They should start by porting Dark Souls 2 and 3 to Switch.

Then quickly port Sekiro, Elden Ring and Armored Core 6 to Switch NG Year 1 or maybe 2.

Last edited:
Eldin Ring feels like it could easily fill the same "year one high-profile 3rd party port" role that Skyrim and Doom 2016 filled early on in the Switch's life.

Absolutely, I expect we'll see more 3rd parties who've dragged their heels supporting the Switch jumping in with ports at the Switch 2's launch.

Dunno if FROM, by their own decision, would return to development for Nintendo systems.

I think if FROM games will release on Switch 2, it will be by the decision of the publishers.

I’ll echo saying that I expect Elden Ring on the new hardware, and ports of past titles, as well as Armored Core 6.

Im surprised they never ported dark souls 2. I think 2 is actually my favorite one despite some controversial design choices. I love the atmosphere in it. It was also my first souls game. I bought it on xbox one back in 2015 when they put out the scholars of the first sin edition for gen 8 consoles.

Imagine them creating their own console. FromSoftware, ToHardware.
I wonder what a From Software sanctioned controller would look like. Can you imagine finding out that they always intended Souls games to be played with something like the NeGcon?

1200px-Namco_Negcon_centred.jpg

I'm fully expecting elden ring on switch 2 at launch. I think Nintendo will go after that and RDR2. It would be a powerful message like they did with Skyrim on switch announcement.

I wonder what a From Software sanctioned controller would look like. Can you imagine finding out that they always intended Souls games to be played with something like the NeGcon?

1200px-Namco_Negcon_centred.jpg
The ability to move diagonally in FromSoftware games is an oversight by the developers that Big Analog has been happy to capitalize upon. Demon's Souls originally only allowed the player to roll in four directions while locked on, and with good reason. This controller would represent a renewed respect for Miyazaki's vision, which the masses (who lack integrity) have sadly tainted in recent times.

I support this controller's use for Souls games.

Elden Ring will be on NX2 but Virtuos will probably be the one porting it, lol.

I wish they'd let 3D Dot Game Heroes out of PS3 jail.

Hopefully soon. I'm sick of them casualizing their games for the FIFA and Halo crowd on PS/Xbox. They are missing out on a huge hardcore audience here.

From Software isn’t gonna account for a Nintendo system in their pipeline nor release those games day one. It’s all up to the publisher as we saw with Dark Souls 1; so Switch owners are at the tender mercy of Bandai whether they are feeling up to caring about porting From games.

“Exclusive JRPG series on the Gamecube” meanwhile their games on PS2 were outnumbering it like 20 to 1 and they said stuff on interviews like “we make games for people past middle school”

If it was any other developer (or publisher) we would have DS2 and 3 on Switch by now. Maybe even ER “impossible port”. However, since it’s From Software and Bandai Namco that we’re dealing with, I expect nothing except Nintendo funding an Elden Ring port as a launch title for Switch 2. DS1 on Switch is never on sale at the same time as the other Bandai Namco games, it only goes on sale during Nintendo’s. Isn’t that because Nintendo had some involvement in that game, like for Skyrim and Witcher 3? Anyway that’s what I would expect at best

would love the Dark Souls Trilogy, Elden Ring and Armored Core 6 so hopefully Bandai Namco pays whoever they need to pay to get those ports on Switch 2.

Nintendo serves as the distributor of Dark Souls Remastered for Switch. Could they have had a hand in the Switch release?

Im surprised they never ported dark souls 2. I think 2 is actually my favorite one despite some controversial design choices. I love the atmosphere in it. It was also my first souls game. I bought it on xbox one back in 2015 when they put out the scholars of the first sin edition for gen 8 consoles.

If I remember correctly, there were talks about bringing the game to Switch, but it never came to fruition. @NateDrake

“Exclusive JRPG series on the Gamecube” meanwhile their games on PS2 were outnumbering it like 20 to 1 and they said stuff on interviews like “we make games for people past middle school”
I mean, they've had their own share of "kiddie games", Monster Hunter Diary even launched first on PSP.

Sure they focused on PS2 like every other sane developer of the era, but having exclusive series for two other platforms was not something others did. And Lost Kingdoms wasn't just a throwaway game like From's early PS2 JRPG attempts, it actually featured a fresh take on card based combat.

Nintendo needs to reach out to From if they want their full support. Others do that, Sony even owns 15% of the company (wouldn't hurt Nintendo to get a piece of that). Elden Ring proved that From is one of the "bigs" and Nintendo would need it if they want every audience out there on their system. They helped to distribute Dark Souls 1 port but much more effort than that is needed.
Nintendo serves as the distributor of Dark Souls Remastered for Switch. Could they have had a hand in the Switch release?
Yeah they have. They probably thought From's support would continue after the success of DS1 but From does not operate like that. They gonna open up more talks with From if they want the support to continue. And if RDR situation is the shape of the things to come, they most likely will.

Why would people expect Elden Ring on Switch 2? Don't wanna rain on anyones parade here, but they (and when I say 'they' I mean From and Bandai Namco) cannot even be bothered to port Souls 2 to Switch for example. Why would they be on Switch 2 with Elden Ring?

Kids during the time i was young: Caelid would prolly give them nightmares.

Kids now: Elden Kindergarten.
I mean yeah, my kids love monsters and they watched me play Dark Souls.

But there's a step up in graphics and I don't think my SO would be too impressed with the gore... unless she gets hooked on the game too like with TOTK.

Why would people expect Elden Ring on Switch 2? Don't wanna rain on anyones parade here, but they (and when I say 'they' I mean From and Bandai Namco) cannot even be bothered to port Souls 2 to Switch for example. Why would they be on Switch 2 with Elden Ring?
Because Bandai Namco is very random in the switch ports strategy, for example, they can port a game day 1, with a year of delay or 5 years later of the original release.

In addition, Elden Ring sold more than all the dark souls saga (being dark souls 2 the worst selling entry)

Souls 2 was not such a huge hit

Elden Ring is a monster and a Switch version would be super profitable

If Devolver Digital couldn't find an excuse to port Metal Wolf Chaos XD to Switch in 2019, nearly a year after Dark Souls came out on Switch, when it was coming to PS4/Xbone/PC, then I don't think there's anything salvageable between From and Nintendo.

Hell I don't even expect Elden Ring to show up on the Switch 2

Souls 2 was not such a huge hit

Elden Ring is a monster and a Switch version would be super profitable
You know how much money has already been left on the table? Why didn't the Switch One Piece Odyssey for example? Or Sword Art Online. Or Gundam Evo, If Elden Ring shows up on Switch 2 it's more of a miracle than a given I feel.

Of course I hope it shows up, but there is really nothing indicating it will except for gamers hoping it'll show up.

You know how much money has already been left on the table? Why didn't the Switch One Piece Odyssey for example? Or Sword Art Online. Or Gundam Evo, If Elden Ring shows up on Switch 2 it's more of a miracle than a given I feel.

Of course I hope it shows up, but there is really nothing indicating it will except for gamers hoping it'll show up.
I think you're right, it's not a given. This thread led me to watch some YT vids about Elden Ring and it sounds like they have some big plans for expansion DLC. Adding Switch 2 to the mix might not be a priority, unless it's fairly easy to do.

I think you're right, it's not a given. This thread led me to watch some YT vids about Elden Ring and it sounds like they have some big plans for expansion DLC. Adding Switch 2 to the mix might not be a priority, unless it's fairly easy to do.
Yeah, neither BN or From said anything on a possible Switch 2 port. But maybe they'll surprise everybody, who knows.

Last edited:
People are expecting Nintendo to be instrumental in Elden Ring's Switch 2 presence. They have helped many games having a Switch version this gen, they will only increase their efforts.

Also Switch not getting DS2 so far doesn't mean it won't at all, Nintendo still might fund a port to fill up schedule in Switch's final years. We're getting RDR and Batman in its 6th year that wouldn't be surprising at all.

Back
Top Bottom