• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Wii U: Birth of a Death [Scott the Woz]

Dekuman

Kremling
Pronouns
He/Him/His
I really enjoy Scott's style. Funny, irreverant, but factual and not hyperbolic. His NX rumor rundown and 3DS videos were always highlights.

Here's finally done his Wii U video and yes its over 1 hour and 48 minutes long
Part 1

His first Wii U video from before the Switch even came out was pretty bad and overall went over the same generic talking points

This video is actually a really good retrospective around the pre-release and launch of the Wii U. He deconstructs both E3 conferences and all their pre-release marketing in such a way that mirrored my thoughts exactly about the console before it came out. The second half of the video talking about the launch games doesn't really touch upon anything he hasn't said before (I'm pretty sure this is the 6th time he's talked about NSMBU). IDK Nintendo was not in a good spot leading up to the Wii U and definitely not in a good spot for years after and his video captures how bittersweet that time was to be a fan.

Nintendo: drops 200 hour GOTY

Youtubers: here’s why the Wii U was bad

Nintendo is always doomed, even when they are doing well
Sports athlete: Quietly drops triple double in a final winning game

Forum poster: Hurr durr youtuber says Nintendoomed

These two thing shave nothing in common, just like Scott spending months on a 2-3 hour video essay has nothing to do with when Nintendo released TotK.

Dunno what people have against Scott, he isnt really provocative or controversial at all like some others
he put out a video that had a lot of cameos from other YouTubers one of them relaxing Alex who had came out before the video saying he had abused his previous partner. and a lot of people were upset that Scott didn't remove the cameo before the video came out

I don't get why he's so obsessed with the Wii U lol that era have nothing interesting to talk about
I actually think it's a very interesting era for Nintendo that always gets shunned because lol Wii U

But Nintendo actually trying to play the graphics angle, developing their own social network - wich they later mismanaged - allowing and encouraging media consumption in their systems... They were being sucked into the HD twins' dynamic and kicking and screaming all the way in.

Hell, they even developed a video call app that came pre-installed in the OS. The very same Nintendo that released a 30 € Wii Speak microphone for Animal Crossing and had a channel you could only download if you purchased the peripheral.

EDIT: Not only that, but being the Nintendo that was always careful with their hardware, suddendly going Let's slap three Wii CPUs together for the sake of backwards compatibility is so out of let field i can't help but to find it interesting. It wasn't even a cost cutting solution, it was them purposedly hindering the console's performance to guarantee BC. Crazy.

Last edited:
he put out a video that had a lot of cameos from other YouTubers one of them relaxing Alex who had came out before the video saying he had abused his previous partner. and a lot of people were upset that Scott didn't remove the cameo before the video came out
But he did remove the cameo in the end. If that's the worst sin Scott has against him then 99% of youtubers need to be crucified.

Sports athlete: Quietly drops triple double in a final winning game

Forum poster: Hurr durr youtuber says Nintendoomed

These two thing shave nothing in common, just like Scott spending months on a 2-3 hour video essay has nothing to do with when Nintendo released TotK.
It’s an obvious joke, it’s just a funny coincidence that we had like two Wii U retrospectives at the same time

Like I know there’s the meme about people in forums not playing games and everything but when there’s a big release I just don’t think about stuff like Nintendo’s failures or “Direct when? What about the second half of the year?” until I’m done with the game. Just not the best time to drop this kind of content I feel, on top of that there is just not much else to say, everyone knows exactly how it failed, it wasn’t even that long ago

It's actually kind of incredible how badly Nintendo missed the mark with the Wii U and the second half of the Wii's lifespan. Just one horrendously misguided decision after the other. Let's hope they don't make this level of mistake ever again.

Scott's commentary on the lead up to release, the mixed messaging, wrong messaging, focus on the controller and forgetting there's a console that comes with it, and the general sense of meh a lot of Nintendo fans who actually wanted to by hyped for this thing felt is absolutely spot on. It described my emotions at the time perfectly.

That said, he's being very fair here as well. Wii U is not just the lead up and the issues with the hardware/messaging, it's also the games it did have and the review of the launch titles are spot on as well. Can't wait for part 2.

Last edited:
My point is that before comparing him to any Youtuber with putrid content, you should go and look at his content to see the quality of the writing and the general care that goes into what he does.
I think dismissing youtubers as producers of “putrid content” is very reductive. YouTube is by far my most used streaming service and honestly most of the content I watch is honestly probably heads and tails above Scott’s.

An almost 2 hour video, solely on the WIIU, and its only Part 1!

Man, its a good thing Scott made a lot of well researched and entertaining videos throughout the years, cause only weirdos are up for that, myself included.

Also helps that I didn't make the mistake of purchasing a WiiU, so a lot of this information was new to me, which it made worth the watch, though I did pay attention to Nintendo's E3 unveiling and had a feeling it would be doomed from the start, what with the whole NintendoLand fireworks being their show ending.

I think dismissing youtubers as producers of “putrid content” is very reductive. YouTube is by far my most used streaming service and honestly most of the content I watch is honestly probably heads and tails above Scott’s.
I’m obviously not talking about all youtubeurs but just about your own shortcut about youtubeurs trying to get clicked with Nintendoom content, which is absolutely not describung the last content produced by Scott The Woz. I understand you don’t particularly like it, and you have every right to.

It doesn’t force you to invent things about his work. You may not be interested in his work, you may not appreciate his work, but explaining that he’s riding a Nintendoom wave is just not true.

This is also the goal of the first answer on the Zelda CDI games: they are games too, but mixing everything is not the most relevant thing in the world in my opinion.

One of these days, the gaming community will collectively wake up and realize everything that was lost with the demise of the Wii U. The countless new design parameters. The potential for radically rethinking game mechanics and interfaces.

The Wii U was too pure and good for this cruel, heartless world. You're in a better place now, dear sweet little tablety box. Our thoughts will ever be of thee.

But he did remove the cameo in the end. If that's the worst sin Scott has against him then 99% of youtubers need to be crucified.
Isn’t the bigger issue the fact that Bobdunga, the person Alax abused, approached and told Scott about Alax did a year before the video came out. So he not only had more than enough time to not include Alax, but he outright ignored the allegations that Bobdunga made and it wasn’t until a month or so after the video was posted that he quietly removed him from the video.

I’m not going to say he’s a terrible YouTuber or anything like that, but the fact that he never apologized or addressed the situation made it pretty easy to not want to give the guy any more views.

Scott's commentary on the lead up to release, the mixed messaging, wrong messaging, focus on the controller and forgetting there's a console that comes with it, and the general sense of meh a lot of Nintendo fans who actually wanted to by hyped for this thing felt is absolutely spot on. It described my emotions at the time perfectly.

That said, he's being very fair here as well. Wii U is not just the lead up and the issues with the hardware/messaging, it's also the games it did have and the review of the launch titles are spot on as well. Can't wait for part 2.

I still have nightmares from the nintendoland reveal. The fireworks were the most anti-climactic thing ever.

I still have nightmares from the nintendoland reveal. The fireworks were the most anti-climactic thing ever.
Yeah, I recall that day clearly. I didn't watch it live so caught up on the presentation on YouTube. I felt like being punched in the gut when they ended with it.

Yeah, I recall that day clearly. I didn't watch it live so caught up on the presentation on YouTube. I felt like being punched in the gut when they ended with it.
I legit turned off the presentation when it was revealed. What a shitshow it was lmao.

Why don't you just watch it instead of cleverly commentating
Eh, i cleverly commented later. Didnt watch the video, not a fan of Scott's style, but you could have, at the very least, read the thread a bit longer.

PS: Also, It wasnt a complaint, i've seen a bunch of Wii U related videos release in a short time, i was just wondering what was happening.

Eh, i cleverly commented later. Didnt watch the video, not a fan of Scott's style, but you could have, at the very least, read the thread a bit longer.

PS: Also, It wasnt a complaint, i've seen a bunch of Wii U related videos release in a short time, i was just wondering what was happening.
That's fair, although I did read the thread including your comment before I commented

Anyway Wii U 2 I hope

Lol the next video will cover that horrible period between the launch of it and the release of Pikmin 3, legit a super depressing time to own that damn console and what likely killed it's momentum completely, since it was only Lego City Undercover, Monster Hunter 3U (which both had versions for the 3DS and the later was an upgraded Wii game anyways) and like 3 multiplatform releases and it took like 7 months to get a first party release in Game and Wario, which wasn't exactly worth the wait.

Lol the next video will cover that horrible period between the launch of it and the release of Pikmin 3, legit a super depressing time to own that damn console and what likely killed it's momentum completely, since it was only Lego City Undercover, Monster Hunter 3U (which both had versions for the 3DS and the later was an upgraded Wii game anyways) and like 3 multiplatform releases and it took like 7 months to get a first party release in Game and Wario, which wasn't exactly worth the wait.
I remember this time well as a day 1 adopter... That shit sucked. I'm so positive on WiiU now, as I came to love its library by the last year, but I was SUPER disappointed in that first year with how sparse the support was. Pikmin 3 was the first time I played a full new release on the console from start to finish. It was an oasis in the desert for a brief moment lol.

Back
Top Bottom