• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Wii U and 3DS eShops to close March 2023 (UPDATE: new additional details, see threadmarks)

Well I might’ve gone a bit crazy on eBay and GameStop the past couple days. I was already filling out my physical collection of the 3DS and Wii U games the past few months, but was taking my time and shopping around. Oh well!

3DS prices are insane. $50+ for the two games I’m looking for, Luigi’s Mansion and Kirby Planet Robobot. That’s absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited:
3DS prices are insane. $50+ for the two games are m looking for, Luigi’s Mansion and Kirby Planet Robobot. That’s absolutely ridiculous.
I recall those titles already being super expensive. Cause I was trying to buy Luigi’s mansion a few months back.

It’s not surprising to me since 3DS wasn’t a huge software seller in all honestly compared to the install base it had. Some titles just flat out didn’t get many reprints and boy has it been showing and will just get worst starting now

Nintendo Life put out an article talking to a former Nintendo employee about the shutdown. I somewhat doubt the full pessimism on the Wii/3DS/Wii U servers shut down because I suspect the closure of the eShops is more related to payment processors than the server cost for distributing downloads. The NNID account probably didn't help but, that could largely be shelved and disconnected from the Nintendo Account system when the eShop close

The more I sit on this announcement, the more it truly bothers me. There's lots of eShop exclusive games - what happens when a gamer in a future generation gets a dusty 3DS from a pawn shop and their only options are overpriced physical games and a closed digital storefront that otherwise would have served purpose? Man, it just sucks.

For many of the reasons already stated very well by everyone else, I think this is very much a huge shame. There's so many games that will be lost pretty much forever once the eShop closes its doors, and it's going to make getting physical versions of the games (at least those which have had physical releases) so much more difficult/expensive.

However, I do think this was inevitable and will sadly come to every console at some point. There's a non-insignificant cost to keeping these services up, and we can't expect them to be around forever. Definitely one of the downsides of the rise of digital sales.

The more I sit on this announcement, the more it truly bothers me. There's lots of eShop exclusive games - what happens when a gamer in a future generation gets a dusty 3DS from a pawn shop and their only options are overpriced physical games and a closed digital storefront that otherwise would have served purpose? Man, it just sucks.
They spend an hour cracking it and downloading everything they wanted to try for free.

For many of the reasons already stated very well by everyone else, I think this is very much a huge shame. There's so many games that will be lost pretty much forever once the eShop closes its doors, and it's going to make getting physical versions of the games (at least those which have had physical releases) so much more difficult/expensive.

However, I do think this was inevitable and will sadly come to every console at some point. There's a non-insignificant cost to keeping these services up, and we can't expect them to be around forever. Definitely one of the downsides of the rise of digital sales.

Well yeah. We've known this. We've known this since before the first digital download games for consoles. We've been mocked by corporate apologists for pointing it out for years.

In future generations, it would be hard to guarantee any modern hardware would still work if not maintained in proper conditions (Lithium batteries for instance would absolutely run out over a decade). Then you have to account for modern WiFi standards and internet security protocols as over that time period, standards can easily change that prohibit older hardware. Even if Nintendo implemented the most modern tech for the 3DS and its storefront in 2011, it would be hard to implement more modern security details like 2FA which was in its infancy at that time. Basically, the 3DS market in 10 years will be a lot like the current retro market, relying on flash carts or similar tech.

Regarding download codes and such... is there / should we make a list of games with DLC or digital bonuses that can't be redeemed / purchased in-game immediately? I believe some Fire Emblem games have been mentioned, but I'm thinking in particular of several of the Yo-kai watch games, in which you need to clear several chapters to unlock the facility to redeem the bonus code.

I made some recent purchases for 3DS by going to the website and then using the app on the console for downloading only. Is there a reason they couldn't stop purchases through the console but still allow it through the website? They wouldn't have to keep the financial transaction infrastructure on the console apps up to date, they're maintaining that capability on the website anyway and they're still maintaining download infrastructure.

Does add funds also include adding money (with credit card) to an MyNintendo Account that is linked with the NNID, or does this only mean adding funds via eshop cards?

Update:
Ok found the information. Looks like the trick with linked accounts will still work after August.

German Info:
  • Ab 29. August 2022 wird es nicht mehr möglich sein, einem Konto im Nintendo eShop für Wii U und Nintendo 3DS Guthaben mithilfe einer Nintendo eShop Card hinzuzufügen. Downloadcodes hingegen können noch bis Ende März 2023 eingelöst werden.
Nutzer, die das im Nintendo eShop für Wii U und Nintendo 3DS verwendete Guthaben ihrer Nintendo Network ID mit dem Guthaben ihres Nintendo-Accounts (für den Nintendo eShop für Nintendo Switch) zusammenfassen, können das zusammengefasste Guthaben bis Ende März 2023 auf den erwähnten Konsolen/Systemen zum Kauf von Inhalten verwenden. Danach können mit dem Guthaben nur noch Inhalte für Nintendo Switch erworben werden.

Last edited:
I got everything I wanted to get, so I guess I’m good. Still, it’s sad that the stores are closing.

People sure are gonna be pissed when Splatoon 2 servers are transitioned to Splatoon 3.

I made some recent purchases for 3DS by going to the website and then using the app on the console for downloading only. Is there a reason they couldn't stop purchases through the console but still allow it through the website? They wouldn't have to keep the financial transaction infrastructure on the console apps up to date, they're maintaining that capability on the website anyway and they're still maintaining download infrastructure.
It's not an issue with the website, but what's probably going on behind the scenes is 3DS (and formerly Wii U) purchases are sent to one transaction server while Switch purchases go to the new one. These are probably the same servers/APIs that the consoles themselves talk directly to so if you nuke the server you need to disable the website purchases too.

So if I can't add funds it means I won't be able to buy anything unless I already had funds there previously?

Then, functionally, the store is closing much sooner than anticipated, that sucks.

What sign is there they'd do that when Splatoon 1 is still functional and outliving this deadline?
Did not know that! Seems I was unreasonably pessimistic then. Thanks for the correction.

Can I still use my combined eshop wallet past August?
Users who link their Nintendo Network ID funds (used on Nintendo eShop for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS) with the funds tied to their Nintendo Account (used on Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch) can use the shared funds to purchase content on any of these consoles and systems until 27 March 2023. After that, the funds can only be used to purchase content on Nintendo Switch.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/...nd-Nintendo-3DS-Update-July-2022-2174073.html

Back
Top Bottom