• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Why Famiboards Users Are Drawn to the Switch: A Nintendo Fandom Analysis

GamerJM

Chain Chomp
Okay, so here's the thing. I've been around in the online Nintendo fandom for a long time. Not longer than everyone on this site, but I'd wager longer than most people. I started browsing forums near the latter part of the Gamecube's life. It's been almost two decades. And I kinda....never really stopped. A lot of people probably would and did. Partially due to forums being niche now, but also partially due to just changing interests, either in Nintendo or gaming as a whole. And personally, I'm not exactly a mega Nintendo fan either. That's not the fault of their output (although, most of my favorite Nintendo games released in the 2000s). It's more just not me really being a megafan of anything in gaming any more, aside from maybe competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee and visual novels directed by Kotaro Uchikoshi. I'm more into gaming broadly, and a lot of the medium's history interests me more now than anything coming out in the future (my most anticipated game of 2022 might be the Live-a-Live remake, with it being its first ever official English localization). So why do I come here? Well, mostly because, to me the Nintendo fandom is home. It's where I grew up on the internet and it's a place I can't ever imagine not spending time talking and reading peoples' takes.

But given my history, I was curious to see peoples' motivations for being interested in the Switch. I was interested in seeing what the general attitude towards the platform is, and what draws people to it. I'm interested in comparing how those takes are to what the general consensus used to be about Nintendo generations ago. Because I’ve been a Nintendo fan so long, and because attitudes I have ingrained in my brain as “what Nintendo fans are like” may not necessarily be true.

So, I ran this poll, asking people why they're drawn to the Switch in the first place:
https://famiboards.com/threads/what...tform-nintendo-games-or-its-form-factor.2326/

I hypothesized that people would either be drawn in due to Nintendo games, or due to the hybrid nature of the platform, as anyone who didn’t care about those two things could just buy another console. My poll options reflected this. It ended up not entirely being 100% the case, with user Yzz calling out the console’s aesthetics, and user chocolate_supra bringing up the fact that he mostly played third-party games but didn’t think there were enough exclusives on other consoles to warrant buying them. I added the latter point as an option in the poll.

These were the results:

image.png

So, let’s dig in.

I’ll start with the result that surprises me the least: the option with the most votes is “It’s basically 50/50,” sitting at 39.4% and 78 votes. I expected this to be the most popular option because this appears to be the general sentiment a lot of this site holds. Nintendo games are awesome, and so is being able to have them portably and on the big screen. I imagine, for most fans happy enough about the state of Nintendo to seek out a Nintendo-specific site that deals primarily with modern releases, this would be the case. Maybe some would prefer a stationary console with more power, but Nintendo’s cultivated a fanbase that seems to be less concerned with visual fidelity. In fact, I expected this sentiment to be so common, that I tried to bias the poll voters against this option a bit to obtain more meaningful results, emphasizing in the text of my topic that if you lean a specific way you should vote for that. Still, I’m not surprised, given this sentiment.

I think I’ll jump from the least surprising result, to the result that I think may be the most surprising to me: “Nintendo games, because I mostly just play Nintendo games,” sitting at second place with 21.7% of the vote, and a whopping 43 total votes. This is fascinating to me. I didn’t know how common this brand of player was. Speaking of my history with forums, during the 2000s, there seemed to be a much bigger overlap with Nintendo fans and non-Nintendo fans, and I don’t think I often met someone on a forum who just straight up only played Nintendo games. And the people who did were like, competitive Smash/Mario Kart/Goldeneye players or people who obsessively speedran a few games, communities which this site doesn’t seem to have much overlap with.

I did later realize this brand of Nintendo fan existed, though. I think the first time I noticed them was when I would consume GameXplain videos during the Wii U era, and occasionally they’d made videos about non-Nintendo subjects. These videos would get significantly lower view counts and even a bit of backlash. I know Arlo right now faces the same issues as well. I think I at least partially chopped this up to Nintendo fans just not being entirely unified in what kind of non-Nintendo content they wanted, more than anything.

It’s possible I could be drawing too strong of a conclusion from this result, though. Ultimately, it only got 21.7% of the vote. That’s not astronomical, or anything. Additionally, “most” could just mean “the majority of,” meaning over 50% of what you play. Given that Nintendo releases games on a near monthly basis and how most people have pretty limited time, that could just mean you play a handful of Nintendo releases a year, and then some indie games and the occasional interesting third-party game, and that alone is enough to sustain your gaming habits whilst remaining a major hobby.

I also added another option partway through the poll in response to poster choclate_supra, “I’m drawn in primarily by a combination of Nintendo games and third-party games and only own a Switch,” which only got 4 votes, 2% of the vote. This poll option was added late, though, so another possible explanation for the earlier high turnout for the previous option is that a handful of people voted for it instead of this. I didn’t think to include this because I imagined that anyone who cared enough about third-party games would either buy another console or care a lot about portability, but I suppose just wanting a Switch for Nintendo games and then sticking to its third-party titles to save money on buying another platform when it gets a lot of what you’d want anyways makes sense. But either way, it didn’t get many votes.

Another result I found pretty surprising was “Nintendo games, because I have other platforms for third-party games,” only getting 14.1% of the vote, with a grand total of 28 votes. It was only the fourth most popular option. For full transparency, I was one of the 28 people who voted for this option. The reason this surprises me is because, again, going back to the Wii days, the idea that you were “supposed” to have another console if you wanted to play all of the big notable third-party games was just common sense. One of the most common points of discussion I saw back then was whether to buy a 360 or a PS3 to supplement the Wii.

I can think of a few possibilities as to why this is different. First of all, the other options don’t preclude buying a non-Nintendo console; you can favor the hybrid style while also owning a PC, PS4/5, or an Xbox. Second, the Switch has by far the strongest third-party support for a Nintendo console since the SNES days. But lastly, I also have a theory that Nintendo spent the decade prior to the Switch cultivating a fanbase that doesn’t really want a lot to do with modern AAA gaming. Their design philosophies are the antithesis of the modern triple-A game. Favoring gameplay over everything and being designed without games-as-a-service-style engagement in mind. Remember those people I mentioned who talked about whether to buy a 360 or a PS3? A lot of them I recall ending up disappointed with the big marquee titles; the Elder Scrolls, the GTAs, the Call of Duties, the Uncharteds. I bet a good number of people here just don’t really mess with the kinds of games that motivate people to buy PlayStations and Xboxes anymore.

The option “The Hybrid Form Factor, because it’s a lot better for my lifestyle” earned 14.6% of the vote with a total of 29 votes. It was also the third most voted option. I expected it to be about the third most voted option. Being a hybrid console seems to be very important for a lot of people here; not the driving factor for everyone, but for at least some people. But strangely enough, the raw numbers for this one are lower than I expected. When I look at the poll overall, I feel like the reason is because the votes are actually fairly well spread out, with the numbers between the non-”It’s basically 50/50” options being somewhat close aside from a couple of the niche options. This tells me something a bit more interesting; Famiboards users have a diverse set of reasons for being drawn to the Switch as a platform. There’s not really a super strong consensus answer, because there are several factors working in the Switch’s favor. Some of them matter for some people, others matter for other people.

“Its Hybrid Form Factor, because prior to the Switch I mostly played on handheld platforms” got 7.6% of the vote with 15 votes. This option was mostly supposed to represent the niche of 3DS/Vita-only people (or people who mainly played on those platforms) who basically just went to the Switch directly as it was the closest thing to a successor to either of those platforms. Not sure if the way I phrased this communicated that perfectly, but either way I expected this group of people to be notable enough to matter but not notable enough to compete with most of the rest of the options, which is what basically ended up happening. Again, this is a somewhat niche group of people, but they do exist.

And lastly, “I’m not drawn to the Switch, and mostly post here for retro gaming content/other reasons” got .5% of the vote with just one vote. I didn’t expect this option to do well or really be anything other than the last place option but I expected more than one vote as I think I’ve seen multiple people on this forum say they don’t own Switches. I do think this is a bit interesting as it shows that there’s really basically no overlap with the retro-only community and the modern Nintendo community, when I always felt like there was a bit, plus the forum is literally named after an 80s Nintendo console. I guess Famiboards’ emphasis on modern releases kinda puts a damper on that.

I don’t really have anything else to say. I think the results of this poll are interesting and it’s cool to see what the general sentiment on something like this is. I’m also glad it got enough votes for me to be able to do this!

Thanks @GamerJM for the interesting and in-depth analysis here. I'm not sure I have much to add but I enjoyed reading it. I do think given the fluid definition of 'retro' games and the many diverse and compelling games that are becoming increasingly unknown and overlooked the less gaming enthusiast forms discuss retro gaming, it would be great to see more of that discussion on FamiBoards.

I don't have much to add either but my compliments to the chef for this impressive amount of analysis.

Thanks @GamerJM for the interesting and in-depth analysis here. I'm not sure I have much to add but I enjoyed reading it. I do think given the fluid definition of 'retro' games and the many diverse and compelling games that are becoming increasingly unknown and overlooked the less gaming enthusiast forms discuss retro gaming, it would be great to see more of that discussion on FamiBoards.
I was thinking about this the other day, that I spend my gaming time pretty much split 3 ways between the 8/16-bit games I liked as a kid, modern games, and also the 2D indie games that pretty much evoke the nostalgia of the former while adding in QoL elements of the latter. They are definitely something I really enjoy, so I spend a lot of time haunting the eshop thread as such games rarely get enough interest to warrant their own.

Last edited:
I think I’ll jump from the least surprising result, to the result that I think may be the most surprising to me: “Nintendo games, because I mostly just play Nintendo games,” sitting at second place with 21.7% of the vote, and a whopping 43 total votes. This is fascinating to me. I didn’t know how common this brand of player was. Speaking of my history with forums, during the 2000s, there seemed to be a much bigger overlap with Nintendo fans and non-Nintendo fans, and I don’t think I often met someone on a forum who just straight up only played Nintendo games. And the people who did were like, competitive Smash/Mario Kart/Goldeneye players or people who obsessively speedran a few games, communities which this site doesn’t seem to have much overlap with.
As someone who spent many years in the 2000s on Nintendo-centric forums, I can say this type of gamer was very common. I was one of them! My parents growing up only let me have one game console at any given time and I was always gonna pick Nintendo. I don't think it's too surprising that this type of gamer exists, given that for decades Nintendo's main draw is being the only game in town where you can play Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, etc. There is simply no other game publisher on the planet with a fraction of characters and franchises as beloved, across generations. Maaaaaaaaaybe Capcom but even still not as much.

Even nowadays I would say this is mostly true for me. I don't have a next-gen console or a PC that can play modern games, and my PS3, PS4, etc. I bought years after release for cheap and when they accumulated a significant library. While I definitely have my favorite non-Nintendo series, a lot of them have either fallen to the wayside or often veer off into directions I'm not a big fan of (oh hi FPS Resident Evil). But I am admittedly pretty picky about what I play and often stay in my comfort zone. But given how many games are coming out every year, and that as I get older free time to play seems lesser and lesser, I'm pretty OK with my small focus. I know what I like and that's fine.

I'm not sure if I voted on the poll since most of the poll options (except the "I'm not drawn to the Switch" one) apply to some degree:
  • I love many Nintendo games and they tend to make up a large portion of my library.
  • The hybrid form factor absolutely favours my lifestyle and the setup we have at home. I just end up playing more because I can easily Switch between two screens or go handheld.
  • I did grow up mainly playing handhelds so I have an affinity for both the form factor and the kinds of games we used to get on handhelds.
  • The third-party factor is a bit more nuanced: I tend to gravitate towards indie and AA-games which usually make it to the Switch but I still had a PS4 for "big" third-party games and have now replaced it with a Series S.

I've said it before but more often than not it's a choice between playing a game on Switch or not at all, not because there's some ethereal quality to playing games on Switch but just a question of time and opportunity.

As someone who spent many years in the 2000s on Nintendo-centric forums, I can say this type of gamer was very common. I was one of them! My parents growing up only let me have one game console at any given time and I was always gonna pick Nintendo. I don't think it's too surprising that this type of gamer exists, given that for decades Nintendo's main draw is being the only game in town where you can play Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, etc. There is simply no other game publisher on the planet with a fraction of characters and franchises as beloved, across generations. Maaaaaaaaaybe Capcom but even still not as much.

Even nowadays I would say this is mostly true for me. I don't have a next-gen console or a PC that can play modern games, and my PS3, PS4, etc. I bought years after release for cheap and when they accumulated a significant library. While I definitely have my favorite non-Nintendo series, a lot of them have either fallen to the wayside or often veer off into directions I'm not a big fan of (oh hi FPS Resident Evil). But I am admittedly pretty picky about what I play and often stay in my comfort zone. But given how many games are coming out every year, and that as I get older free time to play seems lesser and lesser, I'm pretty OK with my small focus. I know what I like and that's fine.
I can definitely appreciate the ‘I only have so much time to play’ angle. I look at it that I’ve mostly just used portables for the last 15 years. I average playing through about a dozen games a year, and with the Switch having the combined resources of Nintendo’s home console and portable development, plus indies and third parties, there’s way more on it than I’ll ever be able to play. So it doesn’t seem worth me having more consoles, even if they have games on it I’m interested in, when I’m already barely able to scratch the surface of one system. It’s true that I’ve generally leaned more towards Nintendo over the years, but that’s more about them putting major dev teams on portable games rather than any great preference- I loved the PSP and Vita too. I kinda feel just lucky that a selection of all the stuff I’m interested in ends up on the Switch at the moment. I’m aware that might not always be the case, but right now it’s probably the gaming device that’s come the closest to hitting everything I could want out of a console. I guess I fall under the 7% with ‘it’s essentially the next portable to me’.

Amazing post OP, it's interesting to think about what makes Nintendo gamers love Nintendo and the only thing I can do to help is give my own idea.

For me it's everything in and around Nintendo, Nintendo creates a world and sucks you in, in that world are characters, games, shows, merchandise and fandom. I started around NES/Gameboy and have fond memories of certain sounds, colors and imagery which found its way into my memories in the present day. Nintendo is my safe-zone and everything in it is associated with comfort so naturally I drift towards everything that feels like Nintendo even nowadays.

There are some things that made Nintendo less Nintendo for me these last few years and one of the biggest is the lack of cringey live-action performances and the fact that they've now fully embraced 3D and will probably never return to 1D pixel-art games. I'm still a sucker for nostalgia and I think Nintendo as a company realizes it is what makes them big but their ever growing audience sometimes makes it difficult to maintain their perfection and appeal to each and every one of us.

I can definitely appreciate the ‘I only have so much time to play’ angle. I look at it that I’ve mostly just used portables for the last 15 years. I average playing through about a dozen games a year, and with the Switch having the combined resources of Nintendo’s home console and portable development, plus indies and third parties, there’s way more on it than I’ll ever be able to play. So it doesn’t seem worth me having more consoles, even if they have games on it I’m interested in, when I’m already barely able to scratch the surface of one system. It’s true that I’ve generally leaned more towards Nintendo over the years, but that’s more about them putting major dev teams on portable games rather than any great preference- I loved the PSP and Vita too. I kinda feel just lucky that a selection of all the stuff I’m interested in ends up on the Switch at the moment. I’m aware that might not always be the case, but right now it’s probably the gaming device that’s come the closest to hitting everything I could want out of a console. I guess I fall under the 7% with ‘it’s essentially the next portable to me’.
Yeah the portability is a huge factor. It’s just so much more convenient, I like having my Switch with my laptop while I’m working on something or when I need to move around and I can still play. I did that this weekend in fact for Kirby. It’s why I’m somewhat considering a Steam Deck. I upgraded my Switch to a Lite a couple of years ago and haven’t looked back.

Great analysis! I don’t really have much to add to this because you covered a lot already. So I can only touch on my own personal perspective.

1. Growing up I usually had 1 home console to start. The only time I ever had two consoles as a kid was when I got a SNES for my birthday. That said, money was a factor, and outside saving up allowances (got 20 bucks a week) or Christmas/Birthday, I could only have so much. I was more a Sega boy, so I bought more Genesis/Sega CD games. I love Nintendo games, and even while being a Sega fanboy, Zelda was my favorite video game series.

By the time I was in my teens, had a Saturn for a while and then picked up with my own saved up money for an N64 like in late 1998 just so I can play OoT.

When Dreamcast and Sega died with it, I went 100% with Nintendo because I love their games.

So the answer is simple. I love Nintendo games. I’m even a Wii U apologist because I love the system. Off TV play was a game changer for me which I will touch about on my second point.

2. The GameBoy. My grandparents got me this for Christmas because my mom would not have since I already had a Genesis. I never had an NES and got this before the SNES came out.

So GameBoy comes out and it cements a hard truth. I love handheld gaming. Playing in bed, the car, the plane, the couch, etc.

So, since then I have bought every Nintendo handheld. I like handheld better than home console gaming. I spent more time on my DS and 3DS than any of my home consoles until the Switch. I even for brief periods due to kids trading in summer camp, had a Lynx - which was actually a cool little system with some cool games, and a Turbo Express which I traded my GameBoy for and then traded back a week later cause face it, almost all the good games stayed in Japan unless you just wanted shooters and Bonk. I also owned a Game Gear and it was the first Sega hardware I did not like. The screen was washed out, consumed batteries, and most of the games were underwhelming.

3. Nintendo games are great. I like their hardware and what they do with it, and no, not having raw specs like the others is a non issue. One can enjoy specialized hardware without being a PC in a box. Their approach to game design is more up my alley, where gameplay is king. They have a habit of starting with the gameplay first and gimmicks, and then making the game around that after. I like that as it appeals to my gaming sensibilities.

I love handheld gaming. It’s about comfort and choice of how I want to play. Switch is the culmination of that for me.

That said, I want to see more lower budget games from then like we saw on the DS and 3DS. Games that really were more for the handheld niche. Only then will it be the true successor. Box Boy is great and it came back, but give me more of that. Give me another Pushmo. Give me a Pilot Wings Resort. A Tomadscgi Life sequel. More quirky or weird titles like Rolling Western. Another Rusty’s like game. Not just from them, but 3rd party as well.

Great analysis! I don’t really have much to add to this because you covered a lot already. So I can only touch on my own personal perspective.

1. Growing up I usually had 1 home console to start. The only time I ever had two consoles as a kid was when I got a SNES for my birthday. That said, money was a factor, and outside saving up allowances (got 20 bucks a week) or Christmas/Birthday, I could only have so much. I was more a Sega boy, so I bought more Genesis/Sega CD games. I love Nintendo games, and even while being a Sega fanboy, Zelda was my favorite video game series.

By the time I was in my teens, had a Saturn for a while and then picked up with my own saved up money for an N64 like in late 1998 just so I can play OoT.

When Dreamcast and Sega died with it, I went 100% with Nintendo because I love their games.

So the answer is simple. I love Nintendo games. I’m even a Wii U apologist because I love the system. Off TV play was a game changer for me which I will touch about on my second point.

2. The GameBoy. My grandparents got me this for Christmas because my mom would not have since I already had a Genesis. I never had an NES and got this before the SNES came out.

So GameBoy comes out and it cements a hard truth. I love handheld gaming. Playing in bed, the car, the plane, the couch, etc.

So, since then I have bought every Nintendo handheld. I like handheld better than home console gaming. I spent more time on my DS and 3DS than any of my home consoles until the Switch. I even for brief periods due to kids trading in summer camp, had a Lynx - which was actually a cool little system with some cool games, and a Turbo Express which I traded my GameBoy for and then traded back a week later cause face it, almost all the good games stayed in Japan unless you just wanted shooters and Bonk. I also owned a Game Gear and it was the first Sega hardware I did not like. The screen was washed out, consumed batteries, and most of the games were underwhelming.

3. Nintendo games are great. I like their hardware and what they do with it, and no, not having raw specs like the others is a non issue. One can enjoy specialized hardware without being a PC in a box. Their approach to game design is more up my alley, where gameplay is king. They have a habit of starting with the gameplay first and gimmicks, and then making the game around that after. I like that as it appeals to my gaming sensibilities.

I love handheld gaming. It’s about comfort and choice of how I want to play. Switch is the culmination of that for me.

That said, I want to see more lower budget games from then like we saw on the DS and 3DS. Games that really were more for the handheld niche. Only then will it be the true successor. Box Boy is great and it came back, but give me more of that. Give me another Pushmo. Give me a Pilot Wings Resort. A Tomadscgi Life sequel. More quirky or weird titles like Rolling Western. Another Rusty’s like game. Not just from them, but 3rd party as well.
Aren’t the budget games covered by indies though? There’s so many good games on the eshop in the £10 to £25 range.

1 - It has games. Obvious answer but the amount of support makes it a very appealing system for me.
2 - Collecting. I like collecting for the system, the boxes, the special editions. It is kinda tied to point one but it is a fun system to collect for.
3 - Simplicity. And I think it has to do with it being a hybrid system that it draws from compact handheld design but also from console design in the sense that it works with a lot of controllers etc. UI wise also pretty simple and straightforward. Some might find it too simple.

Overal, I just like the presentation of it. Even little stuff like the cartridges or the joycon colours. It's a unique system and kind of for me is a culmination of decades of Nintendo looking for a right way to appeal to everyone.

I'm really enjoying reading the replies in this thread and the subcon-versations this thread is leading to. I know what you mean @Clix, I also really look forward to the return of games like Pushmo. Heck, not even just games like Pushmo, but specifically Pushmo. I loved Pushmo World and I really want to see that franchise return sometime. It's been great to see BoxBoy!! continue to be supported on Switch though. And I'd also like to see fully featured Nintendo and third party games that showcase offbeat game ideas like Ghost Trick and Trauma Center.

At the same time, I love indies and they're definitely filling this role for me. I think indies are coming into their own more and more with more fully realized games like Tunic and Impossible Lair. These games really feel like the successor to AA games of yore but with a mix of indie sensibilities thrown in, which makes a huge difference to the creativity and uniqueness of these titles. I love small indie titles, too. It's so cool to see the indie game community develop, and as this part of the gaming world becomes more established, I think we're seeing more and more indie titles that fit into the same offbeat, fully-realized game niche that Nintendo previously offered up with titles like Pushmo.

it’s the lifestyle change for me. The Switch finds ways to sneak into my life, and I find little 10-20 minute play sessions where I couldn’t find them before. The interface is just so snappy.

The biggest gamechanger for me though, has to be my multiple dock arrangement. I have a dock in my living room, bedroom, and office. Being able to take the Switch into any room and have a console experience without unplugging anything and moving systems is absolutely wonderful, to the point where playing PS5 games is almost a pain in the ass.

If there ever is a more powerful Switch? Might be the ultimate console ever made.

it’s the lifestyle change for me. The Switch finds ways to sneak into my life, and I find little 10-20 minute play sessions where I couldn’t find them before. The interface is just so snappy.

The biggest gamechanger for me though, has to be my multiple dock arrangement. I have a dock in my living room, bedroom, and office. Being able to take the Switch into any room and have a console experience without unplugging anything and moving systems is absolutely wonderful, to the point where playing PS5 games is almost a pain in the ass.

If there ever is a more powerful Switch? Might be the ultimate console ever made.
lifestyle +1

my first daughter was born in 2015, switch came in 2017, my son in 2019, my second daughter in 2021.

it just perfectly sync'd. put them all to bed and want to stay on the same floor and get a few minutes in while making sure none of them wander out? switch. it's just easier.

I think the poll data is gonna be a bit skewed posting on Famiboards, but interesting results regardless

Yeah, but I mean more the budget games form Nintendo and their partners. Not indies per se. Weird quirky shit.
Ah I see what you mean. I enjoyed Good Job! as someone that’s spent their whole career in open plan offices (does that even count?) but sure, they are thin on the ground now

Nice thread, I have nothing else to add, but for me the biggest advantage of the console is its form factor.

Personally I just like handheld play. Obviously Nintendo at any moment can release 1st party software that justifies the purchase. Honestly though whenever their next iteration is released if it’s disappointing then I might just get a steamdeck and call it a day.

I'm going to try to explain why I am attracted to Nintendo products.

I was not really interested in gaming in my younger years. I had a PC for simulation games and a PS2 that served mainly as a DVD player. I bought a Nintendo DS lite because that device was very popular with school children at the time. I rarely played with it at first. My mother, who wasn't much of a gamer before, played a lot more with it. She got all the unlockables and golden trophies in Mario Kart DS without ever drifting once. She also completed world 8 in New Super Mario Bros. I enjoyed watching her play and noticed that Nintendo games had a special kind of appeal. I actually owe it to her that I got to know Nintendo's own games and thus became a gamer.

Nintendo games are very accessible and offer a lot of fun. Something I have always appreciated about Nintendo is that they are just about the only company that still attaches importance to local multiplayer. Almost every other game developer for years has focused solely on single player or online experiences. On a Playstation or Xbox these days, you are almost completely dependent on indies for local multiplayer games. I still prefer local multiplayer to online. It's a completely different experience.

Nintendo is also the most innovative player in the game industry. Touchscreens and motion controls already had their uses in other industries, but it was Nintendo that showed how interesting these technologies could be for gaming and made them mainstream. Everyone now plays games via a touchscreen on smartphones and tablets. Motion controls are still very relevant to VR applications. Even gimmicks that were less popular, such as asymmetric multiplayer and 3D gaming, Nintendo still manages to use them in interesting ways in gameplay.

More fanatical gamers often complain (among other things) that Nintendo lags behind the competition in many areas when it comes to (online) services. For me, this is a blessing. I was someone who didn't have an internet connection before the year 2014. Nintendo's console games are much less intertwined with online services and their games still offer plenty of content outside of the online aspect. Nowadays, every other game publisher requires you to create an account to play one of their games. Some games these days are not even playable without an internet connection. Apart from their mobile games, Nintendo's own games do not involve micro-transactions, loot boxes and similar practices. I am also not a fan of games that are dozens of gigabytes in size, given my data limits (maximum 200 GB per month spread across several devices). I don't think Nintendo has yet developed a game that' s over 15 GB?

Nintendo has dominated the handheld market since its entry into the gaming industry. That is the way I prefer to play games. Nowadays, Nintendo has virtually no competition in that area. Mobile games on smart devices are not really comparable in quality to Nintendo's own range and I never really see the Steam Deck becoming mainstream.

Nintendo always keeps it accessible, clear and knows how to innovate. That is what I appreciate about the company

Last edited:
Ah I see what you mean. I enjoyed Good Job! as someone that’s spent their whole career in open plan offices (does that even count?) but sure, they are thin on the ground now
Yup! The type of game I mean. That game was a lot of fun.

Back
Top Bottom