• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club Who's the Yamcha of the Nintendoverse

Gartooth

Universal Madness
Founder
Pronouns
He/him
AKA by "Yamcha" I mean which Nintendo character has "getting their ass kicked" as the thing people remember the most about them?

Sandbag from Smash Bros per your definition? Both joking and not joking here.

I feel like to truly be Yamcha you also have to be in the β€œif you were in another series you would destroy everyone” camp which makes it much harder to pin down.

it's yoshi every time

bro's whole job ingame is getting murdered so you get an extra jump

Sandbag was gonna be my answer, but that's sort of dubiously a character, so maybe Glass Joe? Team Rocket if you want to count only sort-of game characters?
Glass Joe was my runner up per OP’s definition. He’s well known for going down in one good hit.

LUudrch.png

I would go with the other goofy-yet-kind-of-cool desert bandit who always gets outdone my the main character, Samurai Goroh, but I dunno if he's very iconic for losing. Gets blown up in the Melee intro at least?

Sandbag was gonna be my answer, but that's sort of dubiously a character, so maybe Glass Joe?
Damn, Glass Joe is an insult to even Yamcha, he at least did things fairly consistently before Z, he just got power crept.
I guess Glass Joe did beat Nick Bruiser of all people... but that's only one canon victory. Yamcha at least has a few.

8358466.jpg

Mario from 1986's Great Mission To Rescue Princess Peach.

On account he is voiced by Yamcha and
Loses Peach to a Dog.

He's definitely strong, but unless he's playable from the start, expect him to be captured, brainwashed, and sent against Kirby in every game he's in. But put him out of his universe, and he's one of the most important saviors in the Brawl storyline and one of the strongest fighters out there.

He's the Yamcha.

My first reaction to this myself was that it's Magikarp? lol

Magikarp's thing that makes it hard to compare to Yamcha is that it does evolve into Gyarados which is a formidable PokΓ©mon, but I guess at that point would it still "count" as a Magikarp or not.

It's Meta Knight or Dedede. Like Yamcha, in any other context they would be absurdly strong, but they frequently job to Kirby or Kirby's villains, who are on a different scale.

Bowser in the Mario RPGs, maybe? A couple of them do take him seriously but for the most part he's usually upstaged by the new villains and treated like a nuisance.

Dedede's a good pick too.

Groose of course
Cawlin-Screen-Large.jpg
Naaaaaah, Groose is the Mr. Satan.

What about Whispy Woods? The first boss of like every Kirby game, looks powerful in its attacks in some incarnations, but all the same it loses and then cries.

It has to be Donkey Kong:

->Was the villain in Donkey Kong where he successfully captures Pauline
->was captured by Mario and put into his cage, where his son has to rescue him
->was put into work at the circus
->tries to capture Pauline again, but fails multiple times
->The person he tries to capture becomes mayor and creates a city entirely dedicated to his failures and a festival that showcases that failure.
->Donkey Kong isn't even good enough to be in Mario Kart now, his son has to be in Mariokart.

Now, from here, you can either take 2 stances, Donkey Kong from the DKC games are the same character, or is Cranky Kong. These are both harrowing for Donkey Kong. Because both are equally bad.

Let's assume you want to say he's the same character, or you just consider it a fresh start for the character.

He stars in the game Donkey Kong Country, where he is the absolute worst character in the game. Diddy is faster, more agile, more fun to play as, has more momentum. The only thing he has going for him, is he can jump and kill big enemies with one hit.

Then in the sequel, Donkey Kong Country 2, he's not even a playable character and is replaced by Diddy and Dixie. Both of whom are even better than Donkey Kong.

Then in the threequel, Donkey Kong's archetype of big and strong comes back. But Donkey Kong is captured again. He is literally replaced by a baby. A crying annoying baby is as strong as Donkey Kong.

Then, I don't even want to get into Donkey Kong 64 and the cluster of characters. But they again go with the big and strong, which is important for later.

Then you get into the Returns series.

Donkey Kong then comes back, and is the worst character. Diddy Kong not only is faster, and more agile. He can shoot a gun, and can glide. Diddy is specifically a complete powerup for Donkey Kong because he is so incompetent.

Then in tropical freeze, the same thing happens but even worse. Dixie has an even better double jump, cranky can pogo jump over obstacles, and Diddy is still there(but nerfed really).

Then, Funky Mode releases. Now, you could say that the returns series is okay, because Donkey Kong is still included. Diddy and Dixie are practically just powerups if you aren't playing coop. But then, Funky Kong comes out, and he can fly with his surfboard, has all of the momentum and strength of Donkey Kong, can pogo stick like Cranky, can stand on spikes, and has twice the amount of health of Donkey Kong. "Bigger and stronger" my ass, you get totally dusted by Funky Kong. Are constantly getting your hoards stolen(which is right in your house BTW), constantly getting kidnapped and imprisoned, and a cool guy who constantly walks around with a surfboard(in the jungle mind you), does literally everything better than you. And he's an accredited pilot too, and a successful capitalist. He literally profits on Donkey King's inability to play the game, just to make a point. Even though, Funky has pretty much has most of the abilities he sells, and can literally play the game better than Donkey Kong.

Donkey Kong is literally the Nintendo jobber. He's not even a playable character in like half of the games that are named "Donkey Kong", and the games that he is playable in, he's the worst character. Everything he does is replaced by other characters, hell, even his barrel throwing was replaced by machines in the Mario RPG's. He's constantly getting himself kidnapped and imprisoned. He is literally useless.

Last edited:
King Dedede fits the bill in the sense that he gets regularly clowned on in his own series but could still probably solo your favorite verse unless your favorite verse is something like Xenoblade or Shin Megami Tensei.

Probably Brock

Even Luigi and other characters who tend to lose out in general get little heroic moments and redemption arcs, their own stories to follow. Brock is just an ancillary, outdated womanizer with black spiky hair, who rarely comes out on top. In battle and out. Makes no difference. They keep him around because people remember him from the beginning when he wasn't as lame.

Like, I like the guy as a character but he's Yamcha. He's the buddy who'll fight by your side but ultimately bring nothing beneficial outside of comedic relief.

He's a pokemon dude but basically Nintendo for the sake of comparison to DB.

I think franchise wise, it could be FOX/starfox. It was a reasonable hitter in the early years and apparently transitioned to a new era well. Powered up (assault is great) before doing worse than ever and underperforming against the odds (perfect Yamcha in hole situation, by all metrics he should have beat that saibaman) and then put out weird and underwhelming efforts before not really being invited in to the new era at all (tournament of power team = switch line up).

Also wolf theming is close enough to fox I guess.

Back
Top Bottom