• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Who is your favorite Mario character that was not present in the original Super Mario Bros.?

Who is your favorite character?

• Pauline

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Yoshi

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Daisy

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Wario

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Waluigi

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • Toadette

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Rosalina

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • Captain Toad

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 10 9.4%

• Total voters

WestEgg

King of the Krocs
Administrator
Pronouns
he/him
So, going back to the original Super Mario Bros., we already have what is basically the core cast of the series: Mario, Luigi, Peach (then Princess Toadstool outside of Japan), Toad, and Bowser. If you were to rank the most popular Mario characters, these 5 would likely be among the highest ranked. But the Mario series has of course moved past that, and introduced several new, memorable characters. So who comes out on top of the newcomers?

Note: For the purposes of this discussion, I am excluding Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Country related characters. I am also sticking with the core series, so no RPG partners, etc.

So who have we seen since?

Pauline

Pauline_Super_Mario_Odyssey.png

Perhaps some may say because of her origins she should also be excluded from consideration, but recent games have pretty firmly pulled her back into the Mario orbit, most notably her return in Super Mario Odyssey.

Yoshi

Yoshi_%28Nintendo_character%29.png

The loveable dinosaur companion, first appearing in Super Mario World. Yoshi, as a species and an individual, is perhaps the breakout character of the series, having received his own series of games from the SNES and into the present day.

Daisy

MPS_Daisy_Artwork_2.png

Originally appearing in Super Mario Land as the princess of Sarasaland, Daisy was initially very similar in appearance and function to Peach, but has since been differentiated as a more hot blooded and energetic counterpart to her inspiration. She has since been sidelined in the main series, but has been a fixture in spinoffs, including Super Smash Bros.

Wario

Wario.png

Mario's warped counterpart and temporary owner of Famiboards, he made his debut in Super Mario Land 2 as an antagonist, before becoming playable in the sequel. Wario is also a major breakout character of the series, having launced his own line of platformers as well as the WarioWare games, with a colorful universe of its own.

Waluigi

1200px-SuperMarioParty_Waluigi.png

Originally created as a doubles partner for Wario in Mario Tennis on the N64, Waluigi has not yet appeared in a mainline game of the series outside of some minor references, instead sticking to spinoff titles. Despite this, his sheer magnetism and meme potential have given him a legion of fans that long for the day the purple man gets his due.

Toadette

MPS_Toadette.png

Also created to be a partner character in a spinoff (in this case for Toad in Mario Kart: Double Dash) Toadette has actually managed to break into the main series, being playable in New Super Mario Bros. U and Super Mario Run, and acting as the foreman in Super Mario Maker 2's story mode, and being the costar of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker.

Rosalina

Rosalina_Super_Mario_Party.png

One of the most recent characters added to the series in Super Mario Galaxy, Rosalina left an immediate impression of the fandom with her mysterious presence and surprisingly developed backstory, even getting fast tracked into Super Smash Bros. and becoming playable in Super Mario 3D World.

Captain Toad

Img-adventures-captain-toad.png

Some may argue that this is just the original Toad (the movie certainly seems to imply this as well), but Captain Toad officially debuted in Super Mario Galaxy as a scatterbrained explorer, before receiving his own special levels in Super Mario 3D World, and having this expanded into a full release with Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker!

Last edited:
I'm personally expecting Yoshi to be the front runner, with some outside consideration for Wario and Rosalina.

it's 100% yoshi, he's basically the only character here who can lay any claim to a spotlight of his own.

the others might have followings on the internet, but yoshi was part of the zeitgeist for a brief period

Popular in terms of recognition? It's obviously Yoshi.

How is this even a question? It's Yoshi hands down

it's 100% yoshi, he's basically the only character here who can lay any claim to a spotlight of his own.

the others might have followings on the internet, but yoshi was part of the zeitgeist for a brief period

Decided to edit the thread to Favorite character since it's an obvious Yoshi sweep otherwise.

Wario, strictly because of how good Wario Land 4 and the WarioWare games are. Yoshi's Island is incredible though, so Yoshi is a close second.

Vivian! ...but since you said no RPG partners, I guess I'll go with Rosalina or Birdo.

Rosalina based on the the popular ones mentioned in the OP. In the whole series tho, I'm not sure.

King Boo’s my favorite Mario character

If characters counted who were members of species I’d also say Shy Guys, Piantas, and Tostarenans

Yoshi, Wario, and Rosalina are my favorite here. I picked Rosalina today, but there are days I might pick Yoshi or Wario.

I loved Rosalina’s design from before Galaxy’s release and her backstory is interesting, but I think what usually puts on her top for me is when she became playable in 3D World and brought the Mario Galaxy spin with her. She is by far my favorite character to play as in 3D World and I started picking her in Mario Kart 8 afterwards. She’s pretty fun in Smash Bros too and one of the few puppet master characters I actually enjoy playing in fighting games.

Close race between Rosalina and Wario. I’m leaning Wario though, he genuinely might be the most novel protagonist/mascot in video game history. Started out as a twisted mirror version of another protagonist and the final boss, before headlining his own successful platforming series, and then headlining a spin-off series about mini games, evolving and changing over decades while still having the same recognizable character traits that make him unique. Definitely one of the greatest video game characters in history.

Writing this up, I managed to convince myself it had to be Wario.

Wario and Yoshi tie for me. Not only they're my favorite MarioVerse characters, they're my favorite gaming character straight up. Both were an important part of my childhood. Cannot wait for the next games where those two has the starring role!

7b4a6dae79a010e4444a0074ac08cd1ba67ed3a9.gif

Rosie, although her coolness as a character has been slightly diminished by the amount of spin-offs she's been put into + slight height reduction.

I think one of the best designed but least utilized Mario characters is the reluctant boss Tubba Blubba from the first Paper Mario.

820.gif

I'm making the question slightly tougher on myself because I'm also thinking whose character makes for a better movie. Pauline, Daisy and Rosaline are somwhat merged into traits modern Peach already possesses to a degree, even though adding another woman to the cast would be good. Yoshi has influential haters. Wario is disgusting. Walguigi can't be allowed to succeed on behalf of his fans. Captain Toad is too similar to regular Toad.

So the obvious answer is Captain Toadette. Peach's adventurous side-kick, royal surveyor and BFF.

Rosalina, but my motivation is very futile.

I think that she is gorgeous. Only because of that that she is my favorite character.

My top three are Daisy, Captain Toad, and Toadette. Unpopular choices by the poll, but they're mine.

I like Captain Toad a lot but he's too similar to regular Toad so my answer here is Yoshi.

Tie up between Rosalina and Yoshi! Pretty impressive for Rosalina, considering she's both relatively recent in comparison, yet still far removed from when she was most prominent in the series at this point.

Yoshi, but that´s because Yoshi Island is the best Videogame that Nintendo has ever done hands down and no question.

In terms of design, ShyGuy is my second favorite character, i mean just look at him:

images

I really like Kamek as a fatherly figure of sorts for Bowser, E. Gadd is a fun character and finally, Iggy Koopa is my favorite Koopaling!

It's Wario. Mostly because he stars in some pretty awesome games.

I mean, the same could be said for Yoshi, but Wario's output is far more consistent and has more highlights.

If we were just talking about what they've done in ~Mario games it would be a much trickier thing, but the WarioWare games push Wario over the other choices.

Back
Top Bottom