• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Who else agrees with this tweet (Mario argument)

D

Deleted member 2

1689824274876.png

I'm not even sure which of those is supposed to be the "bad" one. I thought all of 'em were good. I'm not really into Mario though, so the pizzas can go cold. I'm going for tacos!

I guess I don't considering I can't even tell which one they think is bad.

But they are a waluigi fan so I have to take their opinion with a grain of salt

The funny part is that any of them could be the bread. Except maybe 3, I can't think of an angle I've seen before with 3 where that analogy works.

It's definitely Odyssey.

They probably mean Odyssey.

Personally, Super Mario 64 is the least polished. I’d still consider all four of them “normal pizza”.

I... don't know which one they're talking about? It would have to be either Odyssey or 64, I assume, but those are both amazing games still. I think 64 has probably aged the worst out of them all, but I still really like it.

I kinda love how they kept it ambiguous which Mario game they are talking about, and absolutely refuse to clarify which game is "bread and ketchup" in the tweet replies, ngl. My personal least favourite of the bunch is probably SMB3, if only because I've re-played it the least.

I think the original Super Mario Bros. should be a grandma pizza, because it's made with basic equipment and simple ingredients, and is also very square.

Agreed and it's World for me. Never vibed with it. Don't like how it looks, sounds, and it has way too many autoscrollers

This analogy really doesn't make sense with 2 popular 2D games and 2 popular 3D games :p

If I'm kicking someone out personally, it's Odyssey. It's good but to me, not great

I don't see it, i see 4 pizzas.

I assume many see odyssey that way because of nostalgia, or the even more open structure then N64, or because it has realistic looking humans like a sonic game?

Some could say M64 in "it aged bad, its technically a little rough" or something.

Mario World can be argued "was a step back from Mario 3" in certain ways (i don't see it that way, i see them on par)

At least put Mario Sunshine up there so we can remove the lowest tier 3D Mario from existence.
Extremely uncommon NateDrake L here.

I'm assuming we're at the point where "Odyssey bad" is a normal take. It's fine, it'll be vindicated again, just like mid-tier Mario 3D World was when it released again on the Switch together with the (much better) Bowser's Fury.

I agree with the post but with the addendum of the pile of bread and ketchup and cheese-like substance actually tasting really good

Mario 64 was my favourite game ever when I played it.

It's also absolutely the ketchup on room temperature bread of that picture.

For those aghast wondering why someone would sauce bread these games:

- Odyssey has level design and art direction of wildly varying style and quality, a weak soundtrack (sorry, the vocal themes suck and Fossil Falls is a sad imitation of Galaxy music), and doesn't actually play like the old sandbox Marios it's supposed to be a return to the format of. The momentum has been taken completely out of Mario and high level movement is now about pressing a lot of buttons to repeatedly dive onto your hat. The structure of the game is by far its most contentious element though, and would take way too long to get into. All I'll say is moons are boring, the linearity of the game and its moon quotas makes collecting them feel even more pointless, and trying to break down 3D World levels and turn them into Mario's shrines just dilutes what was already an extremely basic formula of level design into a skeleton. Not that they even do that much for most of the game, since infamously a lot of moons are zero effort and there's way less platforming in many of these worlds than in the previous game or even 64.

- 64 has aged far rougher than any of the others. Not only did its very structure quickly become disagreeable after Banjo-Kazooie came around in the same way that tank controls fell out of fashion around the time the analog stick became entrenched, it is infamous for its terrible camera in a genre of terrible cameras, and the physics are utterly unreliable unless you become intimately familiar with the insane quirks of the controls. Never turn around after stopping short at a ledge, always side flip instead, or else Mario might decide to make a wide turn and walk off the edge. Just try not to interact with sloped surfaces or the edges of platforms, because Mario has a tendency to freak out on them. That's not even getting into the courses, which are pretty primordial 3D platformer level design. The early open levels with friendly NPCs to talk to are like worse, sparser versions of the worlds in later games like Banjo-Kazooie. The more focused platforming stages are infamous due to how perilous Mario 64 is to control, with a Mario more committed to his jumps than he's ever been again since The Lost Levels, and none of the safety nets later games would bring. The more cramped stages are infamous for how the camera deals with them, or rather, doesn't. And then there are all the ones where they couldn't think of anything better for you to do than climb up the whole level over and over...

- World lacks the variety of its predecessor, and more frequently trades focused and frantic level design for a looser kind of sandboxy approach which is rather at odds with the kind of game it is. It's a disappointing game in how it uses its own ideas. You can get all of the exits without ever even using the spin jump, which an entire button is dedicated to. I'm convinced the reason it has such a thriving rom hack scene is that the game contains countless mechanics and interactions which it never does anything with. It throws out almost everything Mario 3 built structurally, and instead we get something kind of half-baked comparitively where lives are pointless but are still there, most of the items and power-ups are gone, and the levels are longer and less exciting.

- Honestly, I've never actually seen much serious criticism of 3? World 8's autoscroller parade is a bad time, and I could see someone disliking the format of super short levels with no checkpoints? Or it's just that it's the oldest one and they find it antiquated in some fashion. Much of the game does get by on the strength of its systems and fundamentals rather than the actual level design, which can be, well, just look at the Angry Sun level.

I'd remove 64. It's a good game but needs a remaster to update the controls and fix the camera.
If Sunshine were on that list it'd be very obvious. Odyssey is a fantastic game, as are all the games up there.
Odyssey is a wonderful game but I hated the hardcore post game stuff :( No idea why they did so tough, btw I've managed to get all stars in SMG2 (except for the last daredevil run) so I don't think I'm such a bad player.

I'd remove 64. It's a good game but needs a remaster to update the controls and fix the camera.
Actually disagree, replayed it last year for the first time in almost 2 decades ... After 15 minute the controls where fine.

It's definitely more momentum base then odyssey, that's more positioning and execution based.

Camera and physics are nothing to write home about, but I had way worse in games that came out a decade later and the levels are for the most part designed around them. If you would remaster the game and leave the levels, you would break the game in half and make it trivial.

A remake feels pointless, then I would rather have a new game based on its momentum base platforming.
Odyssey is a wonderful game but I hated the hardcore post game stuff :( No idea why they did so tough, btw I've managed to get all stars in SMG2 (except for the last daredevil run) so I don't think I'm such a bad player.
Only the last one to me, and it was a "ok let's make it hard as a last challenge" kinda thing, I find that totally fine since most of the game was rather easy, and many where unhappy that the game was so easy overall.

I'm still one of those that thinks post game and side challenges can and should be harder. You're going out of your way, you already have the main course that's accessible, so having side content check your learned skills fells gratifying.

The more I replay Odyssey the less I like it.

It controls great and has really cool theming, soundtrack, etc...but its gameplay just doesn't hold up compared to most of the other games in the series. The lack of real platforming challenges makes it feel pretty boring and easy.

Easily the worst of the games listed on the tweet at least.

The more I replay Odyssey the less I like it.

It controls great and has really cool theming, soundtrack, etc...but its gameplay just doesn't hold up compared to most of the other games in the series. The lack of real platforming challenges makes it feel pretty boring and easy.

Easily the worst of the games listed on the tweet at least.
While I disagree, there was definitely the feeling of "at moments it's to basic", and that a sequel could way more with the framework they set.

For just playing I prefer it to the others, for critical path to the end it's probably on par with sm64, and for 100% I would say galaxy Wins. (Never played galaxy 2)

Back
Top Bottom