• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

PlayStation Which PlayStation has the best library?

Which PlayStation platform had the best overall library

• PlayStation

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • PlayStation 2

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • PlayStation Portable

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • PlayStation 3

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • PlayStation Vita

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • PlayStation 4

Votes: 12 14.1%
  • PlayStation 5

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

MagiCarbo

Bob-omb
Sony's PlayStation franchise of video game platforms have always been known for their robust and varied libraries spanning nearly every genre and quality you can imagine. But as a whole, which PlayStation did you think had the best overall library in terms of quantity, quality, variety, and name recognition?

Honestly, it's hard to top the PlayStation 2. That thing was a monster, pumping out masterpiece after masterpiece that whole generation, with a lot of quality b-tier games as well. The PlayStation 4 is still getting games, and still has some of Sony's best first party offerings yet. The PlayStation introduced the world to household names like Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid, Crash, Spyro, and others.

Either the PlayStation or PlayStation 2.

PlayStation had many firsts and an incredible amount of titles that dripped with creativity. I'm personally biased towards it, because no other machine left a bigger impression on me than PlayStation in my lifetime. What an era, what a library!

PlayStation 2 was an evolution of it, setting the standard for franchises and gaming in general. An outstanding library too, and also home of some of my favorite titles in certain franchises. E.g. Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec, which still looks amazing today.

Hard to believe, but the first PlayStation is nearing its 30th anniversary next year.

EDIT: yeah, I voted for PlayStation.

At this point I think the PS4 very narrowly edges out the PS2 for me.

I love every single one of those except PS3.

PS4>PS2>PS1>PSP>PSV>PS3

Not including PS5 yet for obvious reasons, but I love it already and think it will end up high on that list.

I imagine PS2 is going to slay in this poll out. I revisited it several years ago, and woof, there is a ton of jank in those games.

For me, it’s PS4. The games feel more polished than past generations.

Definitely the PS2. And the worst part is that there are still far too many gems that still haven't been remastered or even rerelease as a classic digitally.

PS2>PS4>PSP>PS1>PS3>PSV

Of the games I've emulated, definitely the PS2. I don't find the PS4's particularly impressive, even if there's some good third party games, it took years for the system to shine and the first party is pretty bland imo.

I feel like PS2 has the most interesting library, but it’s hard to top all of the awesome games on PS4 which is still getting awesome games.

I feel like you could make a case for literally all of them except maybe PS5 being so new which is pretty awesome.

PS2 would be the winner in my book.

PS1 might've been the age where genres, such as RPGs, finally found their following. But PS2 was where a number of them, such as the stylish action/character action/J-Action game were born through Devil May Cry (which in turn gave birth to God of War), and Musoulikes through Dynasty Warriors 2, not to mention certain games like Grand Theft Auto truly hitting their stride with GTA3.

Definitely PS4.

PS2 is next but I think most games that are super worth playing on that have found their way into PS4 one way or another.

I’m not sure which I prefer between PS1 and PS2, honestly. But I think I just have to give it to PS2 with its monstrous library. Also helps that the games have become less janky by this time.

There was a slew of great RPGs from SMT3: Nocturne to Dark Cloud. Spent hours beating up my friends in Tekken and Soul Calibur, while games like DmC and Ninja Gaiden kept beating me up. Got into what I thought was “weird stuff” like Silent Hill, Viewtiful Joe, and Killer7. And we haven’t even gotten to Prince of Persia, Black, Freedom Fighters, etc. PS2 was a BEAST.

PS3 on the other hand did a number on my interest in the PS platform. Never even bought one.

I went with the PS2 bc there are multiple games that are in my personal top 50. Additionally, it's always felt like the PS2 was peak innovation for Sony consoles and they've mostly just improved the animations, textures, and voice acting in the exact same games since then.

All the Sony home consoles have tons of great games and a lot of variety, it shows how consistent that product line is. I think PS2 takes it but PS1 still has more I return to on a regular basis, but that’s mostly as I like the pixel art rpgs and 2D games on it.

I picked PS1 because that has more games I want to go back to now. Also, the sheer variety of the output, especially in Japan is unmatched. Just a total next level experience when you look at some of the stuff that only came out there (I’m sure the ps2 has a lot of that too but can’t think of it as being something litetslly every company was making a game for).

Depends on if we can count the PS4’s library as part of PS5 considering many of the games are cross gen plus PS5 plays all the PS4 games.

The OG PlayStation is just iconic though and gave birth to many series or re-introduced the world to many series.

The PS1 has a better lineup than the PS2 and that isn’t even close, I won’t be gaslit by PS2 propaganda!

PS2. Absolute RPG behemoth, and, generally speaking, it’s a genre that tends to age more gracefully than a lot of others. Same reason PS1 is up there despite obviously being even older.

Ps1 had the most unique / niche titles.
Ps2 had a killer library but a lot of games have been ported over to newer systems.
PS3 had a decent amount of new ips and AA games which are unfortunately stuck on the platform.

PS2>PS1>PSP>PS4>Vita>PS3>PS5

PS2 is also top 3 all timer system, might even be numero uno. PS1 is in the top 5. PS1 and PS2 had the longest staying power for me after the fact, I'm still discovering games on both systems to this day, thanks to emulation and my PS2 itself. PS4 started off really lame outside of Bloodborne then got far better as the years went by.

I've never owned a system that dies more than the PS3. Truly a gigaton of power.

Hard to pick between the PS1 and PS2 honestly - both had wonderfully unique titles in their library and a huge variety of titles. Went with PS1 in the end, I think some of the titles there were slightly more impressive and interesting for their respective times (and have less ports on modern systems). Don't think I'd ever get bored going through older games for either system though.

PS2 no contest. And there are mountains of difference between PS2 and the second spot, PS1.

I remember having weeks full of releases with meta 80 and up. Like 20 games a week. Crazy times back then.

I'll say PS1, because it had a larger variety of smaller scale games with good production values that started becoming relatively rare afterwards. For example, Bust-a-move, Snowboarding and skating games, and so on. This combined with the Final Fantasies, and games like Megaman Legends and Brave Fencer Musashi is what takes the cake for me.

The PS2 definitely had some of the best games in the high-end "epic story" category. FFX, Metal Gear Solid 3, DMC1 and DMC3, and so on. Those are fantastic games that have no comparison to the PS1 games, individually. But, you also saw a narrowing of games I think as well. Or maybe I'm just easily influenced by the PS1's demo discs.

Side Note: The PS2 only had one "good" final fantasy game. FFXI is a very "niche" MMORPG, which fits into it's own category. (It's not comparable to a single player JRPG at all. While FFXII was terrible in it:s original release. I think people forget how bad FFXII was on the PS2. The PS1 had three original FF games, plus the anthology!

My personal favorite is the ps3, but from an objective stand point it has to be the ps2. I had a ps2 of course. But the ps3 just came out at such a formative time for me. I was 14 or so. I’ll never forget the lead up to that consoles launch, watching G4’s midnight launch coverage, and e3 2006. The hype was just unreal. I think I’ve been chasing the high I felt leading up to the xbox 360, wii, and ps3 since then, but I think its just not possible for me to feel as excited for anything now as I felt when I was younger. The ps4 launch was cool, and the ps5 launch was…there. But neither of them made me feel anywhere near as excited as the ps3’s launch did. And as for its exclusives, once sony found its footing, it got so many amazing first party games. Uncharted, infamous, the killzone games, little big planet, ect. I just wish modern sony would show this line up as much respect as I do.

Back
Top Bottom