• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Which of these game companies would you like Nintendo to buy?

Which company, should Nintendo of the alternate timeline buy?

• Sega

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Capcom

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • Konami

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Bandai Nanco

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • Platinum

Votes: 23 24.2%
  • Level 5

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • SNK

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Koei Tecmo

• Ubisoft

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CD Projekt Red

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • TakeTwo

• Square Enix

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • EA

• Devolver

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Marvelous

• MercurySteam

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • Other... (leave your comment)

• Total voters

LinkURL

Bob-omb
Pronouns
He/him
In a Parallel Universe, the planets align, and Nintendo's heads decide to do the unimaginable, follow the trend of competitors and make a major acquisition in the Games industry, of all these possibilities which one would you like the most? And why?

Well, technically, in the AU universe, it would've probably been Sony...

EDIT: Oh wow, OP, you actually forgot to put Sony, given the history regarding the Super Nintendo PlayStation....

While I don't want anyone to buy anyone, I would feel a lot more comfortable about Nintendo's future if they and Capcom were together, as I think the pairing would bring enough content and technical desire to sustain them solely, without need of outside assistance from there. Not to say they shouldn't want it still, but considering their ritual position, it would make me feel Nintendo wouldn't ever go anywhere for sure.

Rather than who they should buy, I think I'd prefer to think who I'd rather not someone else buy, which would be Capcom or Square-Enix.

Sega because they should own Bayonetta once and for all. And I mean... it'd be hilarious too.
shaking-hands-mario-and-sonic-at-the-olympic-games-42801027-800-453.jpg

none have Nintendo DNA.

that being said, I can only imagine a deal like this being attempted to protect against another buyout. to that end, I suspect capcom and square enix are vulnerable and important to nintendo's business

Well, Nintendo and Capcom are the best developers in the games industry ... so ...
none have Nintendo DNA.

that being said, I can only imagine a deal like this being attempted to protect against another buyout. to that end, I suspect capcom and square enix are vulnerable and important to nintendo's business
Considering that Capcom developed multiple Zelda games, the Capcom director went on to make Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild, and that Luigi's Mansion 1 is basically an RE parody, this is a bit debatable

Well, Nintendo and Capcom are the best developers in the games industry ... so ...

Considering that Capcom developed multiple Zelda games, the Capcom director went on to make Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild, and that Luigi's Mansion 1 is basically an RE parody, this is a bit debatable
Well, they talked about it in this Iwata Asks.
Iwata
I vividly remember being shocked when I heard that. I almost thought it must be some kind of mistake. Not because of Capcom, but because I thought The Legend of Zelda was a prominent franchise that Nintendo kept very close. I just assumed that it would be impossible for a major Super Mario Bros. or The Legend of Zelda game to be made by external entities.

Tezuka
Usually, that would be true, but Capcom works really fast, and talking to them, I could sense their enthusiasm for the series, so I thought we could trust them with it. We had them make The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages.

Iwata
But you were checking in on it rather frequently.

Tezuka
Yes. Capcom is in Osaka. Since they were so close, I visited them on numerous occasions. We hadn't dealt with them in the past, and I found the temperament with which they develop a game is different from ours.

Iwata
What was your impression?

Tezuka
They struck me as being very jock-like. (laughs) Not at all like us.

Iwata
What type were you Nintendo guys like?

Tezuka
A circle of like-minded people.

Nakago
Yes, that's right. You're definitely a circle of like minds. (laughs)

Aonuma
Like an afterschool club. (laughs)

Iwata
So it was the Afterschool Club of Like Minds versus the Strictly Hierarchical Athletic Types, and it was that unusual combination that brought forth The Legend of Zelda for Game Boy Color.
The tone is joking, of course, but you can tell Tezuka felt a certain dissonance between "Nintendo DNA" and "Capcom DNA".

With that said, of course, Nintendo DNA is not something you receive from birth lol It can be learned. Fujibayashi certainly did!

With that said, of course, Nintendo DNA is not something you receive from birth lol It can be learned. Fujibayashi certainly did!
I remember reading that but I honestly still think the games and staff and influence speak for themselves as far as DNA goes. Not to mention one of Nintendo's biggest supporters, Platinum, was birthed from Capcom being a really shitty publisher. In other words you wouldn't be getting a sizeable crossover in game development if the philosophies were totally mutually exclusive and insular from each other.

Probably Namco if I had to pick something somewhat significant. Capcom is my favorite dev but Street Fighter becoming a Nintendo exclusive is nightmare fuel and would kill the franchise for me so I'd much rather they stay third party lol.

as someone that mostly plays games on my PC I wouldn't want Nintendo to buy one of the bigger publishers, I don't see how it would really help anything so it would just be forcing me to play stuff I can currently play on my PC on worse hardware for no real reason

I wouldn't mind Nintendo buying Platinum, they're mostly a Nintendo studio at this point as far as i'm concerned anyways with their non Nintendo stuff turning out pretty poorly for a while now and the financial stability could help them

Before the direct, I would’ve said Level-5. Given that they seem to be doing relatively well now, I guess Platinum? Their best titles in recent years have all been collaborative efforts with Nintendo, so it’d rein them in a bit from making disasters like Babylon’s Fall again I suppose.

Dunno why so many people are advocating for big companies like Capcom though. Only reason I ever want as acquisition is if the company is in danger of falling apart.

I remember reading that but I honestly still think the games and staff and influence speak for themselves as far as DNA goes. Not to mention one of Nintendo's biggest supporters, Platinum, was birthed from Capcom being a really shitty publisher. In other words you wouldn't be getting a sizeable crossover in game development if the philosophies were totally mutually exclusive and insular from each other.
Ah, on that I agree. Nintendo and Capcom might make games different, but they are far from mutually exclusive, and they can work together and influence each other. The "DNA" (that is, the game design philosophy) is also not something fixed but can evolve over time.

Panic Button is the only answer that makes sense to me.

Not considering companies nintendo can't afford, it should be mercurysteam so they have an in-house dev for 2d metroid
That would be cool!

And thinking further on it, while it is true that Nintendo's partner strategy works, companies that don't co-own IP with Nintendo are at a greater risk of being bought out or not making more Nintendo games (Next Level pre-acquisition, Good Feel, Mercury Steam)

Platinum
MercurySteam
Level 5

All I'd want from Square Enix would be the Dragon Quest, Chrono, and Team Asano properties.

Game companies shouldn't be buying each other. Like it can only end badly. That said I don't want a future where I can't play Sonic games on Nintendo hardware so Sega, I guess, same with Capcom and quite a lot of the rest of these.

Not EA tho.

Rare, lol.

More seriously, I know it's practically a meme at this point, but I honestly think Platinum would be a good fit. They're not averse to a buyer, but they're not super desirable because, in the war of consolidating IP, they have basically none of value themselves. Enter Nintendo, one of the few companies who seems to look towards manpower over IP in terms of outside acquisitions (rare as they might be). And there, Platinum does well.

Platinum could also use better management and direction, both of which Nintendo provides its subsidiaries. There is a history of the two working together, multiple times, so they know they can collaborate and mesh together in terms of ethos.

Not saying I think Nintendo should go out and buy them. They certainly don't need them. I just think that if Platinum truly is serious about a buyer, Nintendo is a choice that would be mutually beneficial, imo.

In a parallel universe it might be fun to see what FromSoftware would make under Nintendo.

Last edited:
They should buy a company that can handle manufacturing more collectors editions and one that can handle Reprinting xenoblade games like Xenoblade 2 (the best one btw) That's more important than buying developers.

In a parallel universe I would have had them buy the Mega Man IP from Capcom and have them buy Enix before they merged with Squaresoft.

Generally not a fan of corporate buyouts, so I'll be the killjoy and say none,,,,

EDIT: Also Sonic should never belong to Nintendo or it will be the end of the fangame community.

I will say I don’t support any acquisition that would be bad for workers.

But assuming workers still have the same situations and all that changes is who owns the company, then Namco, cause I feel like Nintendo would do a lot better with the Pac Man series than what Namco’s been doing with it for the last like decade and a half.

I don't want them to buy anyone. If somehow they HAD to buy someone for some reason, it should be Arzest, because that's one of the funniest options.

I have a hard time coming up with an acquisition that would benefit the workers, customers and Nintendo. In general, I'd rather see less corporate consolidation as they are a net negative in my eyes so most of the options here are out.

That said, there's probably some acquisitions that make sense and/or are inevitable in the long run, like Camelot for example. The Takahashi brothers are 65 and 60 respectively and it doesn't look like they have a successor lined up as far as I can tell. Eventually they'll want to cash out and retire. Since Camelot has been a more or less consistent performer for Nintendo I think they might nab them for a modest sum just like they did with Next Level Games.

Last edited:
Preferably none; the way acquisition talk turned into fantasy sports league drafts still weirds me out.

Realistically I can't see Nintendo actively going after any major publishers or developers, certainly not any larger than themselves like some of the options on the poll. Maybe we'll see similar circumstances to Next Level Games and SRD play out again, where the former owners of a close partner studio are looking to sell; HAL, Intelligent Systems, Game Freak, Creatures and Camelot are probably the most likely bunch in that camp (the former two especially, seeing as they are already listed on Nintendo's affiliate company page alongside their Japanese subsidiaries); but those will be few and far between. The less corporate consolidation the better, and I hope those studios can continue to retain some indepedence; wouldn't get stuff like Part-Time UFO and Pocket Card Jockey otherwise, and those are great.

That said, there's probably some acquisitions that make sense and/or are inevitable in the long run, like Camelot for example. The Takahashi brothers are 65 and 60 respectively and it doesn't look like they have a successor lined up as far as I can tell. Eventually they'll want to cash out and retire. Since Camelot has been a more or less consistent performer for Nintendo I think they might nab them for a modest sum just like they did with Next Level Games.

Essentially my thoughts on Camelot too. Couldn't find a way to fit it in nicely above, but like Next Level Games pre-acquisiton Camelot advertise their continued partnership with Nintendo on their recruitment page (Google translated, but you get the idea). Probably the likely outcome if the Takahashi brothers look to sell, but i'm not cheering on the inevitability of it either way.

image.png

Last edited:
Not rooting for any purchases personally. If a close partner was in danger of closing I guess, but that’s not the kind people are usually rooting for in these talks.

I’d rather third party games go to everyone than be limited to one console. The more people have access to games the better.

I don't really like the trend of acquisitions and mergers, and so I wouldn't want to see Nintendo purchase another publisher - especially not a large one.

I'm more open to them buying long-term collaborators where the development relationship is good. I'd be fine with them buying either Platinum or MercurySteam on that basis. On the larger developer side, I think Sumo Digital would be a good fit for Nintendo.

Nintendo have a great thing going with Mercury Steam. They need to buy them before someone buys them out completely (Nordisk Film already own 40% of them). Don't let them get away!!

There's no point in asking Nintendo to buy Platinum guys, they don't want to be bought out.

Platinum is the company that would benefit the most from being bought by Nintendo, I don't think their self publishing dream will end well.

Konami, so we can finally have another Love Plus game. It's been too long since NLPP on 3DS and the mobile game had a rocky start and was shut down quickly.
Though, I also wouldn't mind if Kadokawa Games / Sugiyama Ichirou made another photography dating sim like Photokano, RecoLove or LoveR.

They should buy Bamco. Replace Mario with Haruka Amami as the new Nintendo mascot, turn Super Nintendo World in an iDOLM@STER themed park and finally develop a new Donkey Konga (featuring iDOLM@STER music).

Back
Top Bottom