• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Which Mario RPG Has The Best Music?

Wich Mario RPG Has The Best Music

• Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time

• Mario & Luigi: Bowsers Inside Story

• Paper Mario Sticker Star

• Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam (Bros)

• Paper Mario Color Splash

• Total voters
hey mods can you change the title to "has" then was, I can't belive I missed that mistake

Edit: Thanks mods

Mario RPG is the one I care about the most so I picked that. Lots of great music across the games though.

The first Paper Mario still has my vote. The battle theme still gets stuck in my head all the time.

Lowkey Sticker Star is kinda high up there for me, as much as I dislike the rest of the game. SMRPG/TTYD/Sticker Star/Origami King are kinda all in a tier below PM64.

“And My Name’s Booster” clears the rest of the series I’m afraid.

The Origami King’s soundtrack is one of the best game soundtracks of all time, let alone being the best on this list

Hmmm I don’t feel strongly about one towering above the others, but I think I have to give it to Dream Team actually. Really underrated vibey OST from Shimomura. I think the “dreamy” theme of the game caused her to go for something a bit more atmospheric and it really worked and stands out from the rest of the series for me.

And of course awesome battle themes

Last edited:
For me its:
S
Paper Mario The Origami King
Super Mario RPG (Switch)
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (Bros), excellent OST, doesn't get enough love
A+
Paper Mario Color Splash
A
Paper Mario, love the sound of this one
Mario & Luigi: Bowsers Inside Story, heavily held up by battle themes, especially the last one
A-
Super Mario RPG (SNES), its good, like many SNES OSTs each track is a little short
B+
Paper Mario Sticker Star, very good sound, melodically just fine
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam (Bros)
C
Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door, I'm a heathen, I love the game, the OST is just fine though
Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time, don't remember much apart from the sand world
Super Paper Mario

Mario RPG remake but the original, dream team, inside story, and ESPECIALLY origami king go hard

I've only played Paper Mario and Origami King but I'd definitely give it to Paper Mario. I liked the music in Origami King but something about it felt like it was engineered on a factory line to be as quirky or epic as possible at any given moment. I didn't really vibe with it emotionally.

Paper Mario on the other hand is probably one of the greatest OSTs of all time. They throw in one of the most melancholic Mario songs in a 5 second part right at the end of the game and it's so impressive how good of a song it is.

SMRPG for sure but I don't think PM64 is too far behind it. I generally think it's one of the best soundtracks on the 64, if not the outright best. TTYD's is solid but it has less tracks that I consciously think about than those first two games I mentioned. I voted the SNES version of SMRPG because that's what my nostalgia says but the new remixes are excellent overall.

M&L has some great stuff in it but overall their soundtracks lean on the "good but not outstanding" side of things for me. SPM's I've forgotten outside of a few key tracks and I haven't played any Paper Mario games since.

Also why do Dream Team and Paper Jam say "(Bros)" on here

Also why do Dream Team and Paper Jam say "(Bros)" on here
it's a joke because that's the title of the games in the U.K
H2x1_3DS_MarioAndLuigiDreamTeamBros_image1600w.jpg

Of the pre-Sticker Star ones, it's Super Paper Mario by a mile. Don't really know the later soundtracks, I only played some of them.

Where're the Rabbids games, though?

TTYD is the winner to me, but that might entirely be because I played it multiple times as a child and have a lot of it engraved in my memory. The little bits of remastered music we got in the remake trailer have me dying for more, especially the title theme omg

Come on, the Rogueport theme makes me genuinely emotional, leave me alone 😭

SMRPG, PM64, and Origami King are the top 3 easily for me.

I guess I'd go for PM64 just cause I feel more sentimental about it fitting the story book fairy tale vibe of the game. The other two are just as good though.

Great thread! Really hard question, so many great OSTs. Paper Mario, TTYD and Origami King are all top tier imo, SMRPG and Super not far behind. Sticker Star had a really nice Soundtrack too - the museum track in particular stood out to me.

64 definitely has my favourite battle music and is the most sincere, charming vibe to it, which perfectly matches the game. It's underrated. And that epic final boss theme goes hard!

TTYD has some great ethereal, mysterious stuff. I love the track that plays at the titular door. Poshley Sanctum, Riverside Station, Riddle Tower, Twilight Trail, the final boss track - so atmospheric! Really looking forward to hearing new arrangements in the remake.

Origami King was varied, fun and the live instrumentation sounds great! Chapter 3 was the highlight of the OST for me - Snif City is an absolute banger, the hotel track is a brilliant remix of it, and the tracks in that chapters 'dungeon' were great too. Toad Town has a lovely theme too, evolving as you progress.

TTYD, SMRPG, and PM64.

Thinking about an answer to this question made me realize how underrated Super Paper Mario's soundtrack is. Just a few songs that came to mind:

Honestly tons of great options. I may add more specific thoughts but for now I'll say this--

Yoko Shimomura's one of my all time favorite composers and SMRPG has a lot of memorable stuff

TTYD and SPM use music extremely well to accent story moments

BUT

fuck Origami King has one of the most diverse, fun, and even sometimes stunning soundtracks of the Mario RPGs. I think the hidden cafe theme alone makes me give it the edge, to say nothing of the area music for the mountains, the fun dynamic shifting music of toad town and all the fun little dance/song scenes.

It's funny cause I'm kind of a curmudgeon about a lot of aspects of Origami King, but I have massive respect for its music.

TTYD, SMRPG, and PM64.

Thinking about an answer to this question made me realize how underrated Super Paper Mario's soundtrack is. Just a few songs that came to mind:

Yeah SPM is top 2 with Dream Team for me I think. SPM is also pretty underrated.

This was probably my least favorite level in the game but the music was awesome:

Bleck’s theme and all variations are all timers too as far as I’m concerned. I honestly think SPM has the strongest Paper Mario OST. There’s a ton of overlooked great stuff in there.

Fort Francis, Francis Battle, the themes for all the minions. Even emotional ones like the pure heart theme or the memories theme.

Origami King clears, just an absurd amount of variety and quality. Mario RPG remake, Bowser’s Inside Story, Dream Team, and Super Paper Mario round out my top 5 in no particular order.

The OG Paper Marios and Superstar Saga are iconic as hell, but I don’t think they quite stack up to those 5. And Sticker Star + Paper Jam have some bangers as well.

Origami King no-selling the competition is remarkable considering how strong the RPG slate of games are in general when it comes to music. It's incredibly forward thinking in variety, instrumentation, and fantastic with its many recurring motifs.

And of course you can't talk about Origami King's OST without acknowledging how its fantastic soundtrack brought together dozens of video game musicians to pay tribute to it, possibly the greatest legacy the game will leave behind.

Yeah SPM is top 2 with Dream Team for me I think. SPM is also pretty underrated.

This was probably my least favorite level in the game but the music was awesome:

Love this theme as well! I especially love the section that begins at 1:05, the vibes are fantastic

This is now a thread for posting Super Paper Mario music.

I think this game was one of my first exposures to the concept of leitmotifs, though at the time I only really noticed all the different versions of Bleck's theme.

I've played all except Color Splash and a few of the later Mario/Luigis, Origami King for me is the clear winner. It's got jams, bops, bangers and grooves.

TTYD is the winner to me, but that might entirely be because I played it multiple times as a child and have a lot of it engraved in my memory. The little bits of remastered music we got in the remake trailer have me dying for more, especially the title theme omg

Come on, the Rogueport theme makes me genuinely emotional, leave me alone 😭

Hey I'm the same way, those opening notes really transport me back... two decades oh god I'm dying

I really hope TTYD HD has the option to go back and forth between the original OST and the remixes. Can't wait for that game.

Yeah it's Origami King. The sheer amount of music that you will hear a grand total of once and the variety. Not to mention the fact it was live compared to most other tracks. It's a big reason why The Origami King shot up to my #1 favorite Paper Mario game.

Wow, first time I've heard of this

What the heck is going on in the UK
Nothing to do with the UK in particular. These are the names in the whole of Europe.

Also, it's Origami King with Super Mario RPG right behind it. The later Paper Marios all have amazing soundtracks, though (starting with Sticker Star).

Last edited:
Went with the original since that’s got so many classics, but OK is up there. Also, don’t sleep on Sticker Star with that jazzy soundtrack. Intro song is next level.

Feel like I need to stick up for ol' Color Splash here. The World Map theme is probably my favorite one in any Mario game:

I love the way it develops over the course of the game a la Yoshi's Island. Also love when it comes back towards the end of the credits in triumphant fashion:

It's so unbelievably hard to choose because each game has at least one track that is just absolutely incredible.
I am just gonna say it's a little strange that Kingdom Battle and Sparks of Hope were left out of the poll. They've got excellent tracks too.

Origami King has one of the very best soundtracks in all of gaming. I’m proud to see that folks here are giving it its due.

Back
Top Bottom