• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Which genres Nintendo needs to try?

My serious response to this thread: I think it would be great to see Nintendo's take on a story-driven, cinematic game. It feels like all of the games in this genre tell stories similar to what you see in "prestige" TV series/movies. My dream game would be something in the vein of Steven Universe in game form. I'd be really fascinated about the direction Nintendo would take if they placed story and cinematics at the forefront of a game. Of course, this goes against the ethos of Nintendo as whole, but still would be nice to imagine.

My serious response to this thread: I think it would be great to see Nintendo's take on a story-driven, cinematic game. It feels like all of the games in this genre tell stories similar to what you see in "prestige" TV series/movies. My dream game would be something in the vein of Steven Universe in game form. I'd be really fascinated about the direction Nintendo would take if they placed story and cinematics at the forefront of a game. Of course, this goes against the ethos of Nintendo as whole, but still would be nice to imagine.

I would say that's probably the driving ethos of the numbered xenoblade games.

It's a good thing that Nintendo already has the perfect IP to turn into a multiplayer FPS

Battleclash_boxart.png

cinematic action game like Naughty Dog.

yes, I know it's eye rolling here, but I want to see what the "nintendo touch" can do to the genre. one of the things about Uncharted and Last of Us is that they're very set-piece heavy. Nintendo is gameplay first, so I wonder what they could do in that space in addition to telling a story. it'd also be a good show of technical ability since these games tend to be lookers

They need to make a racing game besides Mario Kart again, I watched this video earlier this week and it really put into prospective how fucked the genre is at the moment.

F-Zero would be the obvious one, but really I'd take anything that isn't just another heavily monetized sim with the way the current market is.
Nintendo have done basically every genre out there, but there's one (and only one!) single genre that Nintendo have never developed or published a single great game in...

The shmup.

Now, Nintendo have attempted this before a good few times in their early days as a video game maker (Space Firebird, Radar Scope, Solar Striker, Donkey Kong 3, Space Fever 1 & 2), but all of these attempts have been pretty middling; even for their time. For whatever reason, Nintendo's world-class designers have just never been able to crack the code to make a really great shmup (We're not counting Star Fox or Sin & Punishment here, they're rail shooters; not shmups), it's the one genre that they've never really had any success with.

I'd love to see Nintendo finally break the curse and make a really good vertical and/or horizontal shmup! Would love to see what they could really bring to the table in this genre!
I find it funny you mention Star Fox & Sin & Punishment without actually suggesting those series, they would actually be good fits for a shmup. Mind you I wouldn't want either series to turn into just shmups, but as a spin-off alongside the main series I think that would compliment it well.

A character action game! Imagine something like DMC or Bayonetta, but with great level, challenge and enemy design and with an amazing core movement-related mechanic like Splatoon's ink. A game that teaches you the combat from ground level up to advanced techniques by just playing the game itself, instead of using video tutorials or forcing you to go watch Youtube video and lab in the practice mode. And specially, a very focused game that isn't throwing at you random minigames 3 times per chapter.

A character action game! Imagine something like DMC or Bayonetta, but with great level, challenge and enemy design and with an amazing core movement-related mechanic like Splatoon's ink. A game that teaches you the combat from ground level up to advanced techniques by just playing the game itself, instead of using video tutorials or forcing you to go watch Youtube video and lab in the practice mode. And specially, a very focused game that isn't throwing at you random minigames 3 times per chapter.
I think they already have that with Astral chain.

I think they already have that with Astral chain.
That is a Nintendo game, but it's developed by Platinum and follows Platinum's design, not Nintendo's. For example, instead of focusing on a main core mechanic and exploring all the ways in which it can be used, it has minigames galore. It also doesn't teach you advanced combat mechanics (and AC has a much more convoluted system than DMC, Bayo or NG) so the only way to learn some stuff is just to go to Youtube. The ranking system, which is a tool the devs could use to guide you to play the game the way they envisioned, rewards spamming all attacks one after another without giving them much thought: You get the variety bonus and you're not penalized for taking damage or dropping combos, so it's really easy to get S+ ranks by just surviving a challenge rather than learning how to properly conquer it.
When I think about a "Nintendo character action game" I think of the Mario template where the game is based on a strong, original core mechanic, it teaches you new mechanics by making you play with them, and where the necessary information is conveyed through game design.

Back
Top Bottom