• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Which games could have created a new genre.

You can't exactly be a genre if no one else is trying to do what you're doing, I think. Until you get imitators, you're just a weird version of an existing genre.

I think a pretty good example of this is Cave Story.

Cave Story is bizarre in that it's sort of the perfect representation of this weird blend of linear level-based platformers and more 2D Metroidvania elements. Because of this esoteric blend between sidescrollers and exploratory games, it can support a narrative structure where each level has its own narrative thanks to the exploration while also connecting to the overarching narrative of the game thanks to levels' epic conclusions.

Unfortunately, this kind of balance is really hard to get right, and as a result you see more Metroidvania games or sidescrollers, but not a lot that are sort of both at the same time while also supporting a narrative structure.

Pro Evolution Soccer Wii should have created a lineage of Real Time Strategy Soccer Sims. Or RTS Sports Sims, generally, really. Football would have worked great. Hockey, too. RIP RTSSS, the best genre that never was.

Pro Evolution Soccer Wii should have created a lineage of Real Time Strategy Soccer Sims. Or RTS Sports Sims, generally, really. Football would have worked great. Hockey, too. RIP RTSSS, the best genre that never was.
Yeah, same goes to rhythm rpg Games.

The Wonderful 101

Only because describing its genre isn't so clear cut being a mutt of various genres.

Doesn't help it being so over-the-top, and given it's a Platinum game, you could almost just refer to it as a "Platinum-Action", or Plaction for short, and you could reasonably describe it.

...though I guess just calling any Platinum as that has its own genre to itself. Kind of like in Hollywood, we have Bayham with any movie that is directed by Michael Bay.

EDIT: Platinum Games are the Bayham of video games. :ROFLMAO:

That's the point of the thread.
Ah. In which case, I guess I'll say Monster Tale? At least, I've yet to encounter many other games that mix virtual pet raising sim with Metroidvania gameplay, and it's the sort of idea I'd like to see expanded on.

Isn't Pikmin just a strategy game?
I think one could argue that it's a even mix of RTS, puzzle, and management game.

EtF0cvjXAAMsoBy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom