• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Which Donkey Kong Country game is your favorite?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2
  • Start date

Which Donkey Kong Country is your favorite?

• Donkey Kong Country

• Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

• Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie's Double Trouble

• Donkey Kong Country Returns

• Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Deleted member 2

Donkey Kong Country is one of the most popular and most finely-crafted series of platformers out there. Each game has been given such high praise over the years.

Which one stands as your personal favorite, and why?

Donkey Kong Country, SNES (1994)

0CFBC984-F736-4CFB-9F09-9606C3BA345D.jpeg

Donkey Kong Country 2, SNES (1995)

6F56C44B-D8AA-445C-83FC-0D23B791A4CE.jpeg

Donkey Kong Country 3, SNES (1996)

7FA43A96-AD7E-4473-A98B-16AFB037D332.jpeg

Donkey Kong Country Returns, Wii (2010)

704F9EE0-F276-4416-8D8F-DF7FE9A8774A.jpeg

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Wii U / Switch (2014 / 2018)

25AF2F63-EF3F-4141-9669-426DCBB98B9C.jpeg

Tropical Freeze followed by DKC2. I just think the former is the best complete package.

Both series have their own strengths, with Retro's games having better level design, platforming mechanics and art direction in my book but Rare having better atmosphere and music. I liked Returns but found it slightly disappointing in some areas that Retro rectified in Tropical Freeze (and I'm kinda eehhh on the Tiki enemies today). Always disliked the pre-rendered graphics of the Rare trilogy but when everything comes together they can be quite impressive even to this day.

I absolutely love everything about 2, from the level design to the gothic atmosphere to the soundtrack to the characters/enemies... Diddy and Dixie are my favorite Kongs and Kaptain is my favorite incarnation of K. Rool. Platformers just don't get much better than DKC2.

The OG Trilogy is very nostalgic (especially the banger OST) but, a few years on, I think Tropical Freeze has them beat in being overall the best experience.

It's just so damn good.

tropical freeze with 2 very closely behind. two perfect video games.

2 was the best version of the original rare vision, tropical freeze was the perfection of the "country" concept.

2 > TF > 3 > Returns > 1

Let it be known. 3 is criminally underrated, especially it's music.

I only had DKC and DKC3 growing up, and while I had played DKC2 at a friend's, I'm not that attached to it. Although I have played it later, it hasn't really grown on me as much as 1 and 3, both of which I like a lot!

Anyway, Tropical Freeze is the best one.

Returns by far. I don't care for the SNES ones and while Tropical Freeze is good, the lack of progression and mine cart levels is a huge setback.

Tropical Freeze gets my vote. A godly soundtrack and fantastic new compositions of classics. It’s level design still can’t be beat IMO. It is the best 2D platformer in my eyes.

Favorite track in the game:

I do like Tropical Freeze myself due to its level design variety and the fact that some of the secrets are less obtuse to discover. If the sequel added at least one more animal friend (was disappointed that there's no water-based animal friend with the return of water levels) and adds more variety to bonus rooms, it would've been better.

Thank you for reading.

Donkey Kong Country Returns. The sense of grand adventure through one giant island, with each area seamlessly blending into the next, is wonderful. It’s a really special game, with its somewhat underwhelming soundtrack as its only real weak point.

My full ranking would be:

1. DKCR
2. TF
3. DKC
4. DKC2
5. DKC3

All great games.

Oh ho ho! Here's a thread that's right up my (Ice Age) Alley!

I love all the Donkey Kong Country Games so much, with each game being wonderful in it's own way. Heck, I replayed all the Country games back to back early this year, 100 percenting each of them! DKC 2 is the best of the original trilogy of course, with the tightest and zippiest gameplay and sublime sense of atmosphere-grim and . It's the perfect sequel, really. DKC 3 may be considered the black sheep of the original trilogy, but I love the uncanny sense of tenseness you get exploring the Northern Kremisphere (or as I like to call it, Kanada). The more open, exploratory nature of the game is a wonderful change of pace, and wish future games had taken more inspiration from this game's more open world maps. Returns brought my favorite character back into the limelight, and is a wonderful return to form for the franchise as a whole. It may be a retread of the first DKC, but Retro managed to put it's own unique spin on the franchise make the return to Donkey Kong Island fresh and exciting. And Tropical Freeze is a Masterclass of Game Design. Each level is meticulously and beautifully designed in their gimmicks and layouts, the soundtrack is a fantastic celebration of everything Donkey Kong has been, and it's sense of atmosphere can rival even the Rare games. I could gush about these games for so long, you don't even know.

But my favorite Country game? To this day, it's still the first Donkey Kong Country. It was the game that got me into gaming in the first place! I remember seeing ads for the Gameboy Advance Port when I was about 8 years old, and I knew, I just knew I had to have this game. And once I got it? I was hooked. The colors may have been washed out for the original Gameboy Advances screen, but even still I knew I was playing something special. The fantastic gameplay, the absolutely iconic music, the at times somber and melancholic atmosphere, the sheer personality of the characters and the game itself had me under it's spell the entire time. I remember my first playthrough of that game so well, even a decade and a half later. From romping through Jungle Hijinx and uncovering it's plentiful secrets, to blasting through the Animal Buddy Special Stages collecting as many gold tokens as I could, to that tense first mine cart ride, to the triumphant feeling I experienced when I finally overcame the Queen B. fight in Vine Valley, to experiencing the beauty of Slip Slide Ride, to listening to the bop that is Tree Top Rock (seriously, the GBA version of that song is the best version), to facing off against King K. Rool himself aboard the Gangplank Galleon. This is the game that me love gaming, and I wouldn't be here today without it. I love this game so much, and it will always have a special place in my heart.

Tropical Freeze is definitely the best game but the first game is the more special one. I grew up playing this one with my cousins and friends. Nostalgia.

Gotta go with Tropical Freeze, it's a near perfect game.

Tough pick, to me Tropical Freeze and DKC2 are basically equal but I voted for TF since it's generally less appreciated (although not in this poll apparently).

Tropical Freeze's main strength IMO is how well crafted the stages are for different types of runs. Casual play is fun, searching for secrets and all. Speedrun play is also incredibly fun, with 99% of obstacles perfectly placed to allow for crazy strats to keep momentum and clear stages in awesome ways.

DKC2's main strengths to me are 2: first, atmosphere, having K. Rool's island be the setting makes the game feel like a major adventure and the game's graphics and music create a very unique feel that's hard to find in other DKC games; and second, variety, although level design isn't as expertly crafted as in TF, you've got so much sheer variety that it's impressive, particularly helped by the game's focus in animal buddies that adds a lot of opportunities for cool level ideas.

I wish Retro gets the chance to develop a 3rd game that adds more animal buddies but keeps their patented momentum-based gameplay...

Tropical Freeze is incredible but didn’t some stuff come out about David Wise, maybe I’m misremembering.

DKC2 is my favourite game of all time, so that was an easy one.

I liked Tropical Freeze a lot, but I still resent the DKCR control scheme. I know it was improved on the 3DS and then in TF, but it all feels so unnecessary when the originals had perfectly fine controls.

Picking this is like picking my favorite sibling. There are so many good choices.

DKC- I feel more nostalgia with this game than I do with just about any other game in my life.
DKC 2- Best music, overall theme
DKC 3- Brought in an interactive open world.
Returns- To be honest I remember this game the least. I have only played through it once. I hope Nintendo/Retro Studios gives this game the HD treatment at some point
Tropical Freeze- Great art direction and gameplay

If I have to rank them, today I probably go with

1 > 3 > 2 > TF > Returns

And for the record I consider TF a top 10 Switch game. I just love the SNES trilogy so much.

I... never cared for the original DKC games. I found them to be OK platformers when I first played them on the GBA, but often cheap. It took me a while to play DKC:TF because of that.

I fell in love with Tropical Freeze instantly. It's such an amazing platformer. One of the best of the Switch.

Tropical Freeze is one of those rare sequels where most every just collectively agrees "yeah this is the best".

I... never cared for the original DKC games. I found them to be OK platformers when I first played them on the GBA, but often cheap. It took me a while to play DKC:TF because of that.

I fell in love with Tropical Freeze instantly. It's such an amazing platformer. One of the best of the Switch.

I think playing them first on the GBA definitely affected how you feel about them. How was the music on the GBA? Can't imagine you got the same goosebumps folks got when playing it on the SNES.

I think playing them first on the GBA definitely affected how you feel about them. How was the music on the GBA? Can't imagine you got the same goosebumps folks got when playing it on the SNES.
I don't think it was the presentation. The sound was, well, as good as it gets on the GBA, and the graphics are fine (although a lot worse than in the SNES, which I imagine must've looked surreal in 1994). I remember them just not clicking for me. I remember not understanding why Donkey Kong moved so weirdly. That never happened to me with Tropical Freeze. Its momentum is incredible.

FWIW, I fell in love SMB2, World, and Yoshi's Island, and I was introduced to them through the GBA, so I don't think it could've been the platform. I will get back to Donkey Kong Country at some point, though.

EDIT: I also played DKC:R on the 3DS. I have a habit of playing the worst possible versions of games if they're on a portable.

DKC2 followed by 3. Dixie is my favorite Kong so I love when I get to play as her. DKC2 has by far the best music and atmosphere. Possibly the best level design as well. Getting the original trilogy back to back to back was quite something back in the day. Probably my favorite video game trilogy.

I struggle to decide between whether DKC2 or TF is the best as a game, but DKC2 helped shape my love of the Donkey Kong series so that one is my favorite of the two.

2 for the music alone. Play Stickerbush at my funeral.

Diddy’s Kong Quest is one of very few games that is quite literally perfect. Don’t know that another DKC game or any 2D platformer for that matter will ever top it.

Either 2 or TF. If forced to choose, I'd go with TF (although I far prefer the atmosphere and enemies in 2).

I appreciate how each of Rare's DKC games have their own unique vibe + theme.

DKC has a more traditional jungle vibe.
DKC2 has the pirate theme.
DKC3 has a North American/Canadian theme.

Heck, the GBA was how I first experienced the Original Trilogy, and I still fell hard for these games. Weaker hardware it may be, the game's brilliance still shine through just fine.

I really liked Tropical Freeze but I just don't think anything can beat DKC2. It's one of the very best games ever made. I replay it once a year.

I never played them on the GBA, but you got me intrigued. I wanna give them a try.
I don't think the GBA ports are worth playing unless you're just very curious about playing them with worse graphics and sound - except for maybe 3, which included a whole new world.

I never played them on the GBA, but you got me intrigued. I wanna give them a try.
There quite a number of small teaks and additions to the GBA versions that make them worth checking out too! DKC 1 and 2 have cutscenes, there's a new boss in DKC 2, DKC 3 has an entirely new world with new levels and a new boss as well as a new soundtrack by David Wise, new minigames throughout all 3 games AND, one of my favorite additions, DKC 1 and 2 have promotional art and renders you can collect in game by defeating certain enemies.

There quite a number of small teaks and additions to the GBA versions that make them worth checking out too! DKC 1 and 2 have cutscenes, there's a new boss in DKC 2, DKC 3 has an entirely new world with new levels and a new boss as well as a new soundtrack by David Wise, new minigames throughout all 3 games AND, one of my favorite additions, DKC 1 and 2 have promotional art and renders you can collect in game by defeating certain enemies.
You had me at new David Wise music.

I don't think the new Wise music is his best work but there are a few bangers in there.

Does this replace enchanted riverbank? This sounds cool but the original song is my favorite in DKC3. Hard to top that one
Nope. This song plays in the waterfall levels.

Here's the GBA replacement for Enchanted Riverbank.

Edit:

Anyone who wants to listen to a restored and remasted version of David Wise's music for DKC3, here's a video with every song!

It had the better soundtrack, I always preferred Diddy over DK. And Dixie is the best controlling character of the series. I really dug the levels. For some reason as a kid I always did better at DKC2 than the original.

I do miss the art direction from the Rare DKC games. Retro’s leans a little too much in the zany, Madagascar / Ice Age style for my liking.

But either way, Tropical Freeze is the GOAT.

Back
Top Bottom