• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler Where would you like to see 2D Metroid go after Dread?

Joe

🦇
Pronouns
He/Him
(Unmarked Dread spoilers are allowed in this topic)

Metroid Dread is the end of a story arc that started with NES Metroid, but it is not the end of the 2D series as far as we know. It's probably safe to assume that MercurySteam and Sakamoto will continue to work on 2D Metroid in the future, so what would you like to see in the next installment(s)?

I suspect that they will start a new chapter in the Metroid story, meaning they might try to have a fresh start in terms of story and gameplay. I would assume this means that they won't simply make another Dread, but instead will try to move the series's gameplay forward in new directions. Since Metroid dates back to the mid-'80s, its style of gameplay could be seen as antiquated and may need a shake-up as we go into the next Nintendo platform. However, speaking for myself, I wouldn't want to see the series stray too far from what makes it great.

I can't really think of good ideas of how to expand the formula, but one thing I would like to see is a whole new threat and cast of enemies. Let's move beyond Metroids, X Parasites, Kraid, Ridley, and Mother Brain for good, and start a new set of recurring baddies going forward. I want to see a series refresh in that regard, because otherwise, the universe will continue to feel smaller the more familiar faces return.

I would love to hear your ideas on how you would personally like to see the story and gameplay expand for the next Nintendo platform.

• Flash Shift should get iframes and something like Raven Beak's sun attack should be put in the middle of the game, expecting you to phase through it with iframes.
  • Charge Beam + Dash Melee should be added as a combo to instantly kill more enemies or do heavy damage on the run.
  • For the love of God, why is the Grapple Beam a toggle for you to shoot with Y? Just make ZR shoot the Grapple Beam instead of it being yet another toggle like missiles, which actually earns being so due to Storm Missiles.

Aside from that, Dread is basically perfect. The only thing left is new powerups and story and locations, which I trust the plan no matter what.

I like to see Samus going up against the Federation. It seems like the story is heading in that direction. I think by the time of Dread, the two sides might still have had an uneasy but convenient working relationship but now that the other threads are dealt with and because of what happens at the end of Dread, I can see them coming to blows in the next game.

Story-wise, it feels like the series has sorta been building towards some kind of confrontation with the Galactic Federation since at least Fusion. Now that the "metroid arc" is done, I think positioning the GF as a direct antagonistic entity would be a good direction to go in.

Gameplay-wise, I thought Dread was damn-near perfect. I guess if I had one big critique, it'd be to loosen the leash on the player a little. I get why for the first big 2D Metroid in ages, they went with a more guided "always be nudging the player in the right direction" approach, but for the next game I want a nice big map that I can get completely lost in. Maybe take a page from Hollow Knight and include more non-essential side areas to discover and explore.

I'd also like them to get a little more out-there with the power-ups. Dread added a few new ones and I thought they were solid and fit in nicely, but it was kind of a bummer that so many Metroid games have you collecting the same power-ups that largely do the same thing in game after game. Like Zelda, I think they should keep a few staple power-ups but put more focus on introducing new ones that lead to more creative enemy and level design.

Now that Samus really IS "The Metroid" in all ways the matter, I'm hoping this means her power set and abilities will be changed to reflect that.

Obviously, she can't start out as the nigh-unstoppable Hyper Beam spamming freak she was at the end of Dread, but I'm hoping both narrative and gameplay will allow her and the Power Suit to grow into her abilities naturally. And by all means, PLEASE, it's been time for Samus to get some new powers besides the same beams, the same suit upgrades and Screw Attack showing up again. If the Prime series can shift it around, so can the main.

Besides that, I'm hoping that maybe there really is a Mawkin survivor (see: not just another X) that outlived the events of Dread. Whether they end up being a friend, foe or something in between...Samus needs more ongoing regular rivals in her life to keep things interesting and to serve as recognizable characters that can be used for marketing, crossovers and collabs. Especially if we're going to be truly letting Ridley rest.

(Unmarked Dread spoilers are allowed in this topic)

Metroid Dread is the end of a story arc that started with NES Metroid, but it is not the end of the 2D series as far as we know. It's probably safe to assume that MercurySteam and Sakamoto will continue to work on 2D Metroid in the future, so what would you like to see in the next installment(s)?

I suspect that they will start a new chapter in the Metroid story, meaning they might try to have a fresh start in terms of story and gameplay. I would assume this means that they won't simply make another Dread, but instead will try to move the series's gameplay forward in new directions. Since Metroid dates back to the mid-'80s, its style of gameplay could be seen as antiquated and may need a shake-up as we go into the next Nintendo platform. However, speaking for myself, I wouldn't want to see the series stray too far from what makes it great.

I can't really think of good ideas of how to expand the formula, but one thing I would like to see is a whole new threat and cast of enemies. Let's move beyond Metroids, X Parasites, Kraid, Ridley, and Mother Brain for good, and start a new set of recurring baddies going forward. I want to see a series refresh in that regard, because otherwise, the universe will continue to feel smaller the more familiar faces return.

I would love to hear your ideas on how you would personally like to see the story and gameplay expand for the next Nintendo platform.
I'm always confused when people act like Dread is just another 2D Metroid.
It already was a shakeup, the gameplay put a much bigger focus on twitch reflexes over item collection than prior games, to some peoples dismay.
In older games when you were stuck you could go around collect more rockets and energy tanks to just overpower a boss, while in Dread damage is so high it doesn't really matter if you collect another energy tank and going out of rockets is mitigated by the bosses giving some when they changes phases.

It's a very differently designed game.
And Storywise I'm not scared, Ravenbeak was pretty good so I trust them with introducing new charcter.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I’m ready for a prequel with a Chozo protagonist (likely Ravenbeak or another Mawkin). Tie it to young Samus being saved/adopted if necessary.

Back to basic, super metroid.
I did like the gameplay of dread. But the music was generic as hell. And while the level design was ok, its still not close to what super metroid ambient is. Making something memorable is by the combination of music and art. Only few very few games deliver on that. For instance i really like almost any castlevania game music those are masterpieces. But none of those castlevanias did what super castmevania 4 did. Bringing it to another level. A game that after so many years still keeps remembering.

More open map with more player freedom as well as a new set of weapons and abilities.

That's really all that's needed. The gamefeel and boss design are already perfect. Just give me more ability to get lost, or do things out of order. Dread was the perfect take on the more linear, Fusion-style Metroid. Give us the most open Metroid ever as a sequel.

I'd love it if we just get another game like Metroid but less linear.
No need to have that many two way teleporters since those pretty much "spoiled" where to go next. Maybe allow some quick travel from the map screen.

Story is whatever, for gameplay/structure they should just make a game where you can get lost. Metroid haven’t had that since 2004, zoomers think Hollow Knight and the like are more emblematic of this idea at this point

In terms of story, one thing left over from Dread that I can't stop thinking about is Exelion Star Corporation (they made the EMMIs). Fusion hinted at a rogue faction within the Federation, so my gut feeling is that those two parties may be working together towards nefarious goals. I mean, Exelion knows how to manufacture nigh indestructible murder bots, so that's definitely worrying, haha.

Besides that, I definitely want Samus' Metroid abilities to evolve. It would be really exciting to see that bleed over into the gameplay. Perhaps they could expand her physical capabilities beyond a simple melee counter? She was choke-slamming fools all over the place towards the end of Dread, so maybe something like that? Idk, just a thought.

But yeah, I want new enemies, locales, abilities, characters, etc. Dread provided the perfect launching point for a fresh start, so I say run with it!

I would think the logical next direction for 2D Metroid would be a game that focuses on Samus the bounty hunter. As opposed to exploring one big planet, you have access to a hub area where Samus can take on bounties from the Federation or other missions from people in that hub area. Have like 7 planets you can explore, 4 of them being the size of 1-2 Dread regions in size, the others being 3-4 Dread regions in size. It probably also makes sense to add actual rpg mechanics to justify that as Samus "hunts" she absorbs the power of her slain foes and grows stronger.

I want less, but bigger and more coherent zones in the next 2D Metroid. Some of the places just didn’t feel as stitched together as I’d like. Other than that, I’m not too fussed about the story direction or too much about what bosses return or not. I hope we see a new game sooner than later too, definitely do not want a remake of any sort.

As long as it "feels" as good as dread I really don't mind. Super remake? Sure why not, would prefer something new but I'd certainly take it. Preferably something more explorative. Hopefully not a zero mission/fusion remake or whatever because they hold up from a gameplay/movement perspective and I wouldn't imagine much structure/level design changes.

Story-wise, it feels like the series has sorta been building towards some kind of confrontation with the Galactic Federation since at least Fusion. Now that the "metroid arc" is done, I think positioning the GF as a direct antagonistic entity would be a good direction to go in.

Gameplay-wise, I thought Dread was damn-near perfect. I guess if I had one big critique, it'd be to loosen the leash on the player a little. I get why for the first big 2D Metroid in ages, they went with a more guided "always be nudging the player in the right direction" approach, but for the next game I want a nice big map that I can get completely lost in. Maybe take a page from Hollow Knight and include more non-essential side areas to discover and explore.

I'd also like them to get a little more out-there with the power-ups. Dread added a few new ones and I thought they were solid and fit in nicely, but it was kind of a bummer that so many Metroid games have you collecting the same power-ups that largely do the same thing in game after game. Like Zelda, I think they should keep a few staple power-ups but put more focus on introducing new ones that lead to more creative enemy and level design.

Everyone said this pre-Dread and I think this would suck. Metroid isn't DOOM/Quake/Duke Nukem etc, it doesn't have to be Samus versus everyone; 343i decided to go this route with their Halo trilogy, and it completely sucked the joy out of the universe.

Last edited:
Dread was near perfect, so I'll take more of that

Next game needs better music, though

And I wouldn't mind if they tried something a little different with the setting. Have Samus explore the ruins of an abandoned city or something, that could give us more potential for environmental storytelling
I would think the logical next direction for 2D Metroid would be a game that focuses on Samus the bounty hunter. As opposed to exploring one big planet, you have access to a hub area where Samus can take on bounties from the Federation or other missions from people in that hub area. Have like 7 planets you can explore, 4 of them being the size of 1-2 Dread regions in size, the others being 3-4 Dread regions in size. It probably also makes sense to add actual rpg mechanics to justify that as Samus "hunts" she absorbs the power of her slain foes and grows stronger.
IIRC didn't Nintendo object to Samus doing any actual bounty hunting in Prime 3? I think they just see her as an adventurer and the term "bounty hunter" is just flavor text to them, though, things could have changed since then

Last edited:
I want to see Sakamoto revisit the Metroid Other M 3D gameplay concept. There’s so much more that could be done with that kind of fast-paced 3rd person platforming action gameplay that remains unexplored.

Dread was near perfect, so I'll take more of that

Next game needs better music, though

And I wouldn't mind if they tried something a little different with the setting. Have Samus explore the ruins of an abandoned city or something, that could give us more potential for environmental storytelling

IIRC didn't Nintendo object to Samus doing any actual bounty hunting in Prime 3? I think they just see her as an adventurer and the term "bounty hunter" is just flavor text to them, though, things could have changed since then
That's ~15 years ago, and that was also Nintendo saying "no" to retro, I imagine whatever Sakamoto had planned for Metroid 6 Nintendo will green light.

Expand upon the EMMI concept and let them hunt the player over the entire map ala Mr. X. Give Samus the tools to evade and work in environmental factors. Mix in big bosses, atmospheric tunes, and lots of secrets!

First, a collection of Metroid 1-4, including both the original and the remake where applicable. You can now own the entire arc on Nintendo Switch.

I gave a quick answer regarding the general gameplay elements in the other thread, but I'll toss some in here, sure. I guess I'll put it in hide tags because I did that in the other thread and now it feels weird not to do the same here.

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

And all of this should translate wonderfully to 3D titles too. The gameplay aspects should shine in 3rd-person 3D. Really, it would be a template for this era of the story in general. Obviously, titles going back in the timeline don't deal with this.

Some other thoughts I've mentioned elsewhere before:

The space pirates can rest. Really, that "the space pirates" is a unified force that's consistently threatening the entire Federation almost seems to make the universe seem smaller. There's a lot of room for other threats. Space is vast and filled with horrors.

Ridley can retire. He's been brought back a lot. Now that he's been immortalized in Super Smash Bros., he should feel at ease having finally been utterly defeated. It's only a shame some details of his and Samus' rivalry weren't really visited in the games at all.

Just keep it rooted in Metroid. It doesn't need to be completely reinvented. There's room to experiment without it losing that essence.

I just hope they won't remake super Metroid nor fusion. From super onward the games are perfectly playable, and I doubt a remake of super Metroid could do any justice to the original game. The only two Metroid that needed a remake already got it, so move forward with the series.

The only thing I would like is for them to acknowledge the ending of dread and Samus situation, as it is something big that shouldn't be ignored. It could led to new and fresh gameplay and story.

I’d like to see ‘space pirates’ dug into a bit more than ‘monsters led by bigger monsters’. As in, when they prey on ships, what happens? What do they do with the stuff they nick? What do they do on a space pirate base other than walk back and forth while the boss waits in a big boss room?

Maybe they could do something with the Federation hiring a certain bounty Hunter to infiltrate and explore and retake their ships, save hostages, working her way through an entire fleet. Would mean some cool sci-fi ship designs as well as caves and industrial complexes. Maybe some ‘outside the ship in zero-G with a grapple beam and bombs’ stuff to find shortcuts and new ways forward.

I guess I’m saying ‘let’s have a bit more swashbuckling if we’re taking on space pirates’ :)

I just hope they won't remake super Metroid nor fusion. From super onward the games are perfectly playable, and I doubt a remake of super Metroid could do any justice to the original game. The only two Metroid that needed a remake already got it, so move forward with the series.

The only thing I would like is for them to acknowledge the ending of dread and Samus situation, as it is something big that shouldn't be ignored. It could led to new and fresh gameplay and story.
Also Sakamoto seems against a Super remake pretty much and immediately talked about Metroid 6 around the announcement pf Dread

Fusion remake maybe have a chance if Mercury ask for it since they can reuse the assets of Dread for Fusion (and SA'-X becomes like an EMMI and hunt down the player)

Speaking as someone whose favorite game of all time is Super Metroid, I actually wouldn't mind a Super Metroid remake as much as most Metroid fans would. Admittedly, the control scheme is rather clunky to go back to, and reimagining Super Metroid's world and structure with Dread's slick movement could be an interesting take.

Dread was a good Metroid refresher.

For the next one, I hope they'll outdo themselves and try to bring something new to the table

Better music, more diverse/interesting environments would be the big ones for me. Dread did a ton of things right, but dropped the ball on the music for sure.

Beyond that it will be interesting to see if they stick with 2D or try their hand 3rd person or some amalgamation of the two like Other M. It does feel like there is some opportunity for Metroid in a 3rd person style, but I'm not sure how they'd do it. I mean both Returnal and Control did a lot of things that made me feel like it's now very possible to pull off this kind of game in 3rd person, and certainly you could also draw from series like Resident Evil and Mass Effect as well. Although maybe that's more of a replacement of the Prime series than the sidescroller series.

New interesting weapons and areas sound like a good idea. I'd also love if the game went with a more open structure like Super (while keeping the excellent moment-to-moment gameplay of Dread). Dread can be opened up with sequence breaking, yeah, but it's still generally a pretty guided game

It could be interesting to see an Igavania like "take powers from your enemies" given what happens at the end of Dread, but more elegantly and less grindy than those games do it (something like Ender Lillies would probably be closer to what I'm talking about)

In terms of the actual game, I'd prefer a focus on atmosphere and exploration instead of focusing on Samus being a badass at all times.

In terms of story, I'd prefer no chozo stuff and for them to follow up with the Federation stuff set up by Other M and Fusion.

Honestly with how long it took between Fusion to Dread, as long as we just keep getting new titles I'm satisfied.

I always wanted Metroid to incorporate the Galactic Federation more. And the two games that most did that... well they don't count. So I would still like that to be done properly. I'd like to see an actually populated location.

I know it's somewhat at odds with Metroid's sense of isolation, but I think including it could juxtapose the solitary nature of the rest of the game and make for interesting world-building. Though it's probably better suited for a 3D title.

In terms of the actual game, I'd prefer a focus on atmosphere and exploration instead of focusing on Samus being a badass at all times.

In terms of story, I'd prefer no chozo stuff and for them to follow up with the Federation stuff set up by Other M and Fusion.
You know I kinda feel like Dread already was a followup to that.
I kinda don't really believe the story that the EMMI were malfunctioning.

I'm probably wrong with this and the story is much more straightforward, but I believe Samus was set up and the EMMI were meant to attack her even if Raven beak hadn't reprogrammed them.

That Exelion Star company has to have something about them, they made sure we know they were made by them, so we will probably get a followup on them in the next game. They are probably involved with the federation.

You know I kinda feel like Dread already was a followup to that.
I kinda don't really believe the story that the EMMI were malfunctioning.

I'm probably wrong with this and the story is much more straightforward, but I believe Samus was set up and the EMMI were meant to attack her even if Raven beak hadn't reprogrammed them.

That Exelion Star company has to have something about them, they made sure we know they were made by them, so we will probably get a followup on them in the next game. They are probably involved with the federation.
Yeah I would be happy with that, would be an easy thing to do.

3D

but still a metroid game
I want to see Sakamoto revisit the Metroid Other M 3D gameplay concept. There’s so much more that could be done with that kind of fast-paced 3rd person platforming action gameplay that remains unexplored.
This so much. Other M gameplay concept was the perfect transition of 2D formula to a 3D/2.5D aware environment. Hopefully we can get three Metroid styles in the future: 2.5D Metroid, Other M style Metroid and Prime 4 Style (Whatever that will be).

I'd like them to do what Sakamoto originally planned for Other M but Team Ninja refused. Which is a 2d game with a rotating 3d camera, a la Pandemonium! or Klonoa. There were elements of this that made it into Other M, but not really prevalent.

Keeping the Flash Shift is a must. Its my favorite dodge mechanic of all time, and it doubles as a tool for traversal.They can even expand upon it in other ways, for example it could actually damage enemies, or phase through solid matter.

Also, I want new Metroid powers. There's so many things they could do with this beyond just energy siphoning. For example, she could take on powers of the different evolutionary stages of Metroids from Samus Returns like elemental fire and ice attacks.

Also, more imaginative music and art direction. Get on Retro's level please.

I want some fairly significant changes, seeing as this is a kind of new beginnings. I absolutely do not want any sort of RPG mechanics though (boggs down the pacing too much). And no open world either please. But give us the degree of freedom that Super and OG Metroid had.

I just had an idea that would piss off a lot of fans

hub area

Samus is captured and thrown into a derelict prison station outside of Federation jurisdiction. inbetween metroiding, she can interact with various NPCs for story beats and shit. would allow for them to make the universe not so fucking dead by giving players more non-hostile races to interact with

Back
Top Bottom