• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Where is Ridge Racer?

Derachi

Fresh Eater
Founder
Pronouns
he/him
We are rapidly approaching the 30th anniversary of Ridge Racer, it’s just next month. It’s been YEARS since the last one. Where is it? Are they done with the franchise? Do you think there will ever be another one?

Also, let’s just get it out of the way:

Yes Kaz. I DO remember that one.

You can ask the same question for any Namco franchise. Where are they?

But considering the last RR game was outsourced, they might have anyone to work on the franchise. Maybe they should try outsourcing it again? Unbounded maker Bugbear is owned by THQ Nordic now. They can work out a deal maybe.

My favorite racing series ever (as you can probably guess seeing my user name). I LOVE RIDGE RACER!

I fondly remember seeing at an arcade. Never seen such an impressive game up until that point. It even had a fluid and believable day and night cycle, something unheard of at the time. Later, in 1994, magazines began to talk and show a PlayStation version of the game, and I couldn't wait to get my hands on the machine, just because of it.

Love most of the games in the franchise, and played most of 'em. My personal favorite is probably Ridge Racer 6 on Xbox 360.

Development of Ridge Racer 8 resumed (or restarted?) according to Necrolipe:

I came into this thread just to say "Riiiidge Racer!" but I see I was beaten to the punch by the OP so I'll just see myself out.

Look behind you
it’s just a wall

IMG-5397.jpg

Look behind you

"Haha! You're too slow!"
"Excellent cornering!"
"Sparks are flying!"
"You did it! You're real Ridge Racer!"

Yeah, I probably played Ridge Racer Revolution way too much. lol

Bandai Namco is too busy milking tales and whatever hot shit anime is airing rn to make as a fighting game than make a new ride racer rn.
Milking Tales? I wish, in the past 5 years they've had one new game, dlc for that game and two remasters.

The only party of the ip getting milked is the mobile/gatcha part, and they keep milking sick cows that die after a year.

With the way Bamco's been working through their PS1/PS2-era back catalog, I keep thinking at least some kind of remaster (remaster collection?) has gotta be coming sooner or later

Milking Tales? I wish, in the past 5 years they've had one new game, dlc for that game and two remasters.

The only party of the ip getting milked is the mobile/gatcha part, and they keep milking sick cows that die after a year.
tales of phantasia deserves the remaster the most imo

Also, let’s just get it out of the way:
Dawggonit OP, I came in here just to post that! 😂

===

100% believe there is a place in the market for a slick arcade racer and I think launch window of Switch 2 would be the perfect time to reintroduce the series.

Happy to see rumors in here that development has resumed, tho I don't know who "nextofelipe" is.

100% believe there is a place in the market for a slick arcade racer and I think launch window of Switch 2 would be the perfect time to reintroduce the series.

Happy to see rumors in here that development has resumed, tho I don't know who "nextofelipe" is.

Fully agree, been saying very much the same thing in the hardware-thread. That's what I'm hoping for. Could be a great showpiece for the new hardware like it was in the past, while also being part of the franchise's 30th anniversary.

As for Necrolipe; he's a Nintendo journalist from Brazil, and also member here.

Why no PS1 classic series on Switch for so long?
I know the idea sounds wired, but not a stupid one.
Vita got PS1 classic, 3DS got SNES support.
I look forward to play xenogear, vagrant story, etc. Instead, we got cc remaster. not the efficient way for me to enjoy these classic.

I feel like the biggest reason we haven't seen anything from Ridge Racer in years is because there's nobody left at Namco pushing for it anymore. I would love to be proved wrong with a new game though.

Bandai Namco > Racing > Results

temp-Imagenk5-Uvj.jpg

Oh, and one more not shown, Project Cars 3 from 2020.

Back
Top Bottom