• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion When you got your first Smash Bros game, how many of the playable characters did you know at the time?

From the other thread like this:
Back then I hadn’t yet gotten into video games as much as I am today, so I hadn’t heard of Samus, Fox, Kirby, Ness, or Captain Falcon. I might not have known about Link at first, either; I can’t remember if I had been exposed to Ocarina of Time before Smash Bros. or not. Pretty sure I only learned that he was named Link from Smash, though.

Embarrassingly, at first I had thought that Kirby was supposed to secretly be a Pokémon; I was just a kid, after all, and my cousin (who was the one who exposed me to Smash in the first place, since he had the game and I didn’t) had told me a rumor that Kirby was supposed to be the Pokémon that MissingNo. was a stand-in for, essentially. I guess it made sense to me as a Pokémon-obsessed kid, and MissingNo.’s Normal/Flying typing (well, I believe it was actually Normal/“Bird”, but the belief was that the “Bird” type was a proto-Flying type, so it still made sense to me) seemed to match with Kirby as well. That and there were the similarities between Kirby and Jigglypuff, too. Of course, it wouldn’t be long before I encountered an actual Kirby game and realized all of that was clearly false, lol.
But, to be fair, even though I played it back then, I didn’t actually own the original Super Smash Bros. on N64 myself; Melee was the first Smash game that I actually owned. By then, I knew everyone from the first game, of course, so I believe the only characters I didn’t know from Melee were Ice Climbers, Falco, Marth, Roy, and Mr. Game & Watch. Possibly Dr. Mario too, I guess, since I’m not sure I knew about the Dr. Mario series at the time.

By the time of Brawl, the only character I didn’t already know prior to their reveal was Snake. Though I knew about him by the time the game released, of course. And since then, I’ve known every newcomer from all the Smash games that came after. The only one that tripped me up a bit was Richter, since I was vaguely aware of the character but otherwise extremely unfamiliar with him.

I was <10:
Mario, DK, Luigi, Link, Pikachu, jigelipuf, Kirby, Yoshi

Not known:
Fox (but did recognize the game later on as lylat wars) samus, cpt Falcon, Ness

I knew what Metroid was and all about but I wasn't familiar with Samus. Metroid 2 for Game Boy was actually quite popular in my trade circles but I never got to chance to play it.

The rest (64), I knew. Even Ness, import magazine Super Play reviewed it and gave it a perfect score, with all the brag "sucks that you Europeans cannot play this".

Just the Mario and Pokemon characters. I vaguely recognised Link as the Zelda guy from seeing a bit of OoT, but I had never played a Zelda game before the first Smash Bros had come out. Everyone else might as well have been an OC.

Smash Bros 64. I didn’t know Ness’s name but I did recognize him as that big head boy from Earth Bound. I had Nintendo power since before the N64 launched so every now and then something Earth Bound would pop up including those early Earth Bound 64 screens/articles.

It was when Melee released I had no idea who the Ice Climbers were or what Mr Game & Watch was. I couldn’t make out his head and nose, that open mouth threw my brain for a loop. I had G&W Gallery for the Gameboy but it was full of Mario characters lol.

Yep, just the Mario-related characters, Pokemon, and Link from Smash 64, like others said.

For Star Fox and Kirby, I recall I played those games at friend's houses around that same time, but that was probably a little after I first played Smash.

Definitely didn't know about Capt. Falcon, Ness, or Samus though.

SSB64, I didn't know Ness (but vaguely knew what Earthbound was thanks to Nintendo Power) and sort of didn't know Captain Falcon but had played both F-Zero's, I just didn't fully register who the pilots were. I wouldn't have known Samus if not for my friend owning Super Metroid which we were both incredibly ass at as small children but it gave me the context for her anyway.

With Melee a few years later I had zero clue who Marth and Roy were (understandable!) and similarly had no clue who the Ice Climbers were, but Mr. Game & Watch I instantly 'got' what they were representative of because I'd played the Game & Watch Gallery collections a lot.

With Brawl onwards I always immediately knew who everyone was even if I wasn't super connected to their franchise per say.

To be fair, earthbound was not released in Europe.

But I found the amount of less obvious picks (Ness, fox, CPT falcon) to be good.
Even if 2 of them represented well known games, the characters where less prominent

My first was Smash for 3DS. Didn't know: Meta Knight, King Dedede, Falco, Captain Falcon, Marth, Ike, Mr. Game and Watch, Pit, ROB, Olimar, Robin, Lucina, Palutena, Dark Pit, Shulk, Little Mac, Roy, Lucas and Corrin.

Super Smash Brothers (for the N64)

I knew Pikachu, Mario, Luigi (mostly from Yoshi's Island), aaaaaand maybe Kirby from literally Kirby 64?

oh and I guess Yoshi on account of the Yoshi's Island.

DK on account of Donkey Kong Country.

so probably a solid 6/12?

Edit: Shit, I mean I knew of Link and Jigglypuff too, just hadn't played much Zelda at that point.

I didn't give Zelda an honest go until the GameCube.

Last edited:
My first was the first Smash on N64.

I did not know who Ness, Samus, or Captain Falcon were.

Boy do I know who Samus is now, seeing how Metroid is my favorite Nintendo IP next to Zelda.

i knew maybe 5 at the time. im thinking like the pokemon trainer, pikachu, jigglypuff, mario. also sonic. talking about brawl ofc

it's been like 14 years since, and i know them all in Ultimate individually now outside of smash context, including deep cuts like R.O.B and G&W. that's actually kinda wild thinking about it

Last edited:
For those who started with 64 it seems like a common thing to not know who Ness, Captain Falcon and Samus were. I think the rest of the roster is very recognizable except Fox? The only reason I knew him was because of Star Fox 64.

I'm surprised that I even had that game as a child. My mom usually wouldn't buy me a game if she didn't know what it was or if it looked violent.

Do people really remember this stuff?

I have no idea lol, I don't even know if I cared about knowing any of the characters back then.

lol im only going off memory of what games i might've played back then given my available console n stuff. i also do remember being excited about sonic so i know that's related to something i played

When I first played Smash64 I didin't know who Samus and Captain Falcon were. Not certain about if I really knew Fox, I think I played Starfox on Snes before so I was aware of him.

I'm probably one of the 5 people on earth who rented it only after learning Ness was in it instead of learnign about Ness from smash.

My first Smash was Melee... I knew everyone except Captain Falcon, Falco (I knew Fox in passing but had never played the actual games), Ness, Ice Climbers, Samus, Mr. Game & Watch, Marth, and Roy.

Melee

garyoldmaneveryone.gif (well, maybe not Marth/Roy, since no FE game was localized until years later)

I knew Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Pikachu, and Jigglypuff when I first played Smash 64.

I also didn't know Luigi was in the game

I had the og 64 game, and I knew everyone but ness, captain Falcon, and Samus, and it stayed that way for awhile. Don't think I even touched any of their games till years down the line with Prime on the Gamecube, which than became one of my favorite series.

3. Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Donkey Kong. I didn’t even know Mario

The first games I ever had were Pokémon Gen 1 on the GBC, my first system. Pokemania was my gateway into gaming. My first home console was the Jungle Green N64 bundle with DK64. I loved animals and jungles and someone thought this was a perfect gift for me. They were right. DK64 was my first non-Pokémon game and I was obsessed. One day I saw Smash 64 on a shelf and it had Pikachu on the cover, so it was an essential game for me.

it introduced me to other Nintendo franchises (even including Mario and Zelda) and made me a lifelong fan of all of them.

I started with the OG and was 15 at the time. I was familiar with the whole roster either via Nintendo Power or owning/renting/borrowing their games.

It's only in more recent years where I've not actually played a franchise but usually have at least passively absorbed some knowledge about any new characters that have appeared.

I got Melee when I was six and had been gaming (Pokemon and Mario) for two years - so that’s all I knew. The trophies were how I discovered everyone else’s background

First one was Smash 64, I think the ones I knew were the Mario, Zelda, Pokemon and Star Fox characters.

One distinct memory I have from that time is beating Classic mode with Samus and discovering she was a girl. Me and my friends had a Pikachu face moment then.

I'm old and European, so the only character I didn't know in Smash 64 was Ness.

I had played Super Metroid back then, and I loved F-Zero X. I did think it was weird to get Captain Falcon as a character, though.

OG, I knew everyone but Ness and to be fair I knew the existence of Samus and Cap.falcon but I never played neither of their games until a couple of years after with Metroid Prime and Fzero GX.

Back
Top Bottom