• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion When the Switch 2 comes around, would you buy "The Legend of Zelda: Kingdom Collection"?

No, I already own them. My hope is that they just get basic patches.

What even would be the point of a full on collection remaster? Both games are still full price on shelves so it wouldn't even benefit Nintendo like what Last of Us Part 2 did for Sony who at the least discounted their game hard.

Last edited:
Not at that kinda price

I think I'd pay at most $20 each for a next-gen upgrade for games I already own and have put 100s of hours into

Would I buy? No, definitely not at that $140 price, and BOTW/TOTK are games I would probably never replay, they are just such incredibly long games, happy to have my experience with both of them be one and done, good games but not something I'd revisit like previous Zelda games.

I wouldn't even get it if it was free and BotW is one of the best games ever. I'm not a graphics person, the games run fine as they are and I don't plan on replaying these games anytime soon

• Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom.
  • Remastered in 4K60 docked and 1080p60 handheld.
  • All DLC included for Breath of the Wild.
  • 4 new costume sets for Tears of the Kingdom.
  • "Hero Mode" for Tears of the Kingdom (Enemies hit harder and food heals half as much).

Physical edition comes with two cartridges in one slick steelbook.
Digital edition is two different download files.

$140. Not sold separately.

Worth it?
yeah no lol

• "Hero Mode" for Tears of the Kingdom (Enemies hit harder and food heals half as much).

Worth it?
I love Zelda I think im tired of the open world thing. Or maybe I just dont like tears of the kingdom that much. I loved BOTW but totk doesent click for me idk why I think its the whole vehicle crafting mechanic I just dont like it. I much rather have a windwaker, twilight princess in 4k bundle tbh. then I would be sold.

I'd be interested in buying definitive editions for Switch 2, even if I probably just let them sit in my backlog. However, I'm not interested in paying $140 to pad my backlog. It would need to be a lot cheaper.

Nintendo made us pay 60 bucks for the Mario 3D All-Stars Collection due to forced scarcity. You can absolutely be sure Nintendo would do the same for a bundle like this. Would I personally buy it? Depends really, though considering I currently own both games, most likely not. That said, I wouldn't put it passed Nintendo to upcharge fans for a collection where any graphical improvements are locked behind this version vs. patching the existing games for folks who already have it.

That said, I get the impression a bundle like this would go against what Nintendo's future plans are for migrating consumers to the new system over time, with the Nintendo Account, and have a "smooth transition." A bundle like this sounds the exact opposite towards that transition.

Only if it gets the save transfer, TOTK was fun but after 140 hours I was burnt out.

Not for a lazily made hero mode like that. It'd need more adjustments.

Absolutely will rebuy games for a hard mode that they really thought about.

They wouldn't be the only one charging for upgrades; Sony has made it their standard. Xbox did it because of hey we're desperate for any way to claw some audience/reduce the lose to Sony.

Neither Sony nor Nintendo have any serious desperate need to stem bleeding like Microsoft did. If Microsoft were actually making money in the industry like Nintendo/Sony were, they wouldn't have done it either.

These are businesses, not your friends, and they're only in it to empty your wallet in to their bank account. If they can't make money out of it, whether directly by charging or indirectly by hoping it retains some of the customer base you're otherwise doing a terrible job keeping, they won't care to produce the "updates to shaders and resolution". Why would they?
Yeah. They're businesses.

And Xbox is profitable.

They stemmed the bleeding, they became profitable, and they maintained it through a cross-gen period where they provided FREE updates.

Which made them MONEY! It got people with the new hotness picking up "older games", it got people jumping back in and getting DLC. It retains players and engagement, uplifts sales for otherwise waning games, and improves the brand image, getting people to spend more time and money on it.

Painting free upgrades as somehow antithetical to good business, or somehow unusual, or somehow not beneficial to the company, is an abject falsehood.

Lol, absolutely not and Zelda is my favourite series in videogames. Not even for half the price to be honest...
I think your original games should run smoother on the next system. And if they have a next-gen patch it should be free. Or at worst for a small price, but even then I would dunk on them for charging money for a patch.

I love the games, but exclusively available on two separate cards for $140? That's a hell no. Super Mario Galaxy wasn't that much older than BOTW when it was part of a three-game collection at standard retail price.

No. Not because I'm not hot on the open air Zelda, but I never want to replay them in their entirety. Maybe mess around once in a while for fun, then shelve it again. The games are too big to pick once a year like I do with a lot of older Zeldas.

And a resolution bump on new hardware for $140 just doesn't fly for me. I'm pointing this out specifically, because outside of suggesting new costumes it would be the exact same offerings we have now, except cleaner looking. But I'd argue the games look fine as is (run, eh, I'd rather the pop in be addressed); in fact, cleaning em up on PC presents some texturing issues in its own right. The games were designed with that "haze" in mind. Tears with it's layered world kind of needs some form of distortion to work. Kinda like how in Skyward Sword HD the draw distance makes the sharper graphics look like absolute trash.

Packaging is whatever. Steelbooks are cool but they're just steel boxes. Not worth the typical markup.

And the fact that hero mode was omitted in the first place just doesn't particularly make me eager to pay for it years later.

I could see how people would like this as a product, but I'd rather not be nickeled and dimed for that list, for these games. Maybe an upgrade for existing owners along the lines of what MS/Sony do would get me to bite, but I'd never repurchase either for the bare minimum upgrades for hardware that released more then seven years after the fact.

Nah, I already bought the games once before, and with backwards compatibility all but guaranteed, they just need a patch for the 4K30/1440p60/whatever they'll improve.

Now if Nintendo wants to charge for an up-rez patch, they better damn well be sure this is the best graphical experience they can muster to justify $12 CAD before tax.

I'd prefer it if we stopped rereleasing games that sold millions because they maybe hitch a little and focused on something actually interesting. I remember being naive and thinking that devs wouldn't be able to milk rereleases after PS3 due to most games being redone for HD era and lol, we're now discussing a new version of the game that came out a year ago as a possibility.

I probably wouldn't buy it even if it was 70 bucks, since I don't think higher resolution and frame rate is enough for me to double dip on Tears of the Kingdom when I'll already be playing it through BC(maybe it natively runs at docked output on handheld since the new screen is 1080p?).

If they made a Definitive Edition kind of package with a new side story that's 20h or so then I'd probably consider getting a duo remaster, but I don't think they'll do that since they'll keep selling both games separately at full price.

I hope we have a Nintendo Selects line for Switch games after Switch 2 comes, and that Tears of the Kingdom gets a free next gen patch for 4K* and 60FPS support. I don't think they're going to make a "Breath of the Wild Remastered" or "Tears of the Kingdom Remastered" since just resolution would be patch material, and making a high effort remaster(or of forbid a Metroid Prime Remastered level one) for games that big would cost a hell lot of money that'd be better suited for the next entry. Or for a full remake of any of the 3D Zelda's.

Remastered in 4K60 docked and 1080p60 handheld.
If this is the only way to play them at 60 fps, I'd have to think about it if/when I ever get the itch to replay them. It wouldn't be a day one buy, though, because I'm not sure if I'll ever return to them. It's always in the back of my mind as something that'd be nice to do one day, but I'm not sure.

Haven't been keeping up with Switch 2 talk at all, but is that what things are pointing to, being able to run BotW/TotK at 4k while being 60fps?
Yes. Not native 4K, but DLSS 4K, which still looks great. This is without making platform-specific optimizations (other than DLSS support) and just brute-forcing it as-is.

Nintendo allegedly demoed BotW at Gamescom back in August at 4K60, though the point of the demo was actually near-instant load times.

I'd only rebuy them at this point if they added new content to either of them preferably Totk, since imo it needed more new original content that wasn't repurposed or recycled from BOTW. However I would not drop $140 for that, that's way too much money.

you couldn't pay me 140 dollars to play breath of the wild again

Last edited:
No. i’m done with rebuying games I already own, and especially not if the console is backwards compatible.

Too early. For a game that's as exhausting as TotK, my replay timing is 7 something years. I need to forget the game completely and with 150 hours of gameplay, it's not gonna be easy.

I ain't replaying BotW when TotK is around lol

I replied no earlier, but I just remembered I already bought BotW at full price twice, so yes I'd probably do it again. Also Skyward Sword, 3D World and Mario Kart 8.

I already bought BotW twice across two console generations, I'm not gonna buy it a third time 😅

Switch games really shine @ 4K/60FPS, so i'd happily pay to revisit games at that fidelity/fluidity. Add HDR and i'll pay even more!

Now that's a hot take💀
it sounds like hyperbole but it's actually simple arithmetic

howlongtobeat.com says it takes about 50 hours to complete the main story. 140 / 50 and you're looking at less than three dollars an hour. not only is that not worth it, but it's criminal where I live!

Off-topic but I kinda dislike the notion that BOTW is a inferior TotK that crops up lately. If the latter isn't DLC for the former than the former isn't a beta version of the latter.

Realistically tho, I wouldn't be interested in buying either again anytime soon unless they added new content to it as I said earlier. A direct port with higher visuals barely justifies $60 for any game.

Wouldn't buy for $140. Wouldn't buy for $70. Wouldn't even buy for $30! Played these both and I'm done with them. No need for me to go back. I have better games to play, and beyond that, better things to do.

Worth it?
I has no interest in TOTK, and found very little replayability in BOTW, so I would not even consider picking this up.

TWO 100 hrs plus games in one set?
I don't know. too much time pressure on me, so won't.
On the other hand, I could see why people don't think replayability within these TWO games, yet I believe as long as I open a new save, a lot of hrs will gone.
replayability only impact the incentive for me when reckoning

Nope.

Give me a 3D Classics instead. OOT-TP
Not to port beg, but yeah 👍

We are least had a way to play those on GC/Wii/Wii U/some 3ds without it being locked behind a sub. Zelda is big enough to break away and have their own collections.

it sounds like hyperbole but it's actually simple arithmetic

howlongtobeat.com says it takes about 50 hours to complete the main story. 140 / 50 and you're looking at less than three dollars an hour. not only is that not worth it, but it's criminal where I live!
just beat calamity ganon shirtless with a mop ez

If you are selling that to me for $70, absolutely. I'm a sucker for physical re-releases like that.

$140 is a non starter unless you are adding several more Zelda games.

Back
Top Bottom