• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion When it's release day for a game you're looking forward too, how do you celebrate?

Joy-Boy

Bob-omb
Does anyone else have these traditions for when it's time for a game to release that you're really looking forward too? Anything to make the day feel more like an "event" or just regular routines you follow when you settle in to play?

Pick up the game at a certian place, go to a midnight launch, get some special food/snack, etc? Call in a sick day?

For me, when it's something I've been excited for a while,
Usually I'll try to spend the day outside doing something fun (and picking up the game itself). I get some bottles of imported or special soda, like the weird flavors you see in candy shops. Then wait until night when all the obligations of the day are done then just kick back and play till I pass out, and spend the entire next day playing.

Sadly, it's rare when I can actually play games on day 1 anymore. Sometimes because I am too busy, but also sometimes because I don't receive it on day 1 due to a shipping delay. I'm a strictly physical collector, so this has become the reality for me, unfortunately.

Before the world changed, however, I would preorder games at the Target by my house, and on the day of release, I'd take nice morning walk to go pick them up. I'd go to my parents' house and have breakfast with my family before returning home to enjoy the game. I really miss those days.

Not quite the reply you're looking for, but very likely related to this thread. My wife would kill me if she read this, but here's our ritual.

Right before a game we're really looking forward to comes out, we activate goblin mode. We spend an entire day cleaning our flat together and my wife meets with her friends in advance so they won't ask her to do so while she's playing the game lol.

Deep cleaning is by far the best part of it. It's cathartic I tell you.

You never read this nor did I ever post it.

Game's are usually released on Friday's so I order it, usually at the Best Buy down the road, and go about my usual work day. Then after work I pick up the game, pick up dinner which I usually do on Friday's, eat, and then play. On very rare occasions have I taken the day off and that's usually because I need to use up my vacation time anyways.

nintendo-reggie.gif

For the really special games I will take release day off and play it like I would if I were in middle school again.

The only thing I really do differently for a release day is order food for myself instead of cooking. I don't really order food often anymore, so it kinda feels like a nice treat to myself in addition to the game. Plus, less time cooking = more time playing

Ha, this brings back memories... When I was younger I had to ask my mother to drive me to the toy store because I couldn't get there myself.

I remember that when I bought N64 games the first thing I did was thoroughly read the included manual and all of its pictures giving me a glimpse for what's to come, I remember the manuals for Ocarina of Time, Rareware games and Paper Mario specifically.

Nowadays I have difficulty getting hyped for videogames because I overrationalize every experience I have, playing games as a kid is so much different then playing games as an adult. As a kid every wall in a game was mysterious and had a backstory (thanks to Banjo Kazooie) but as an adult I already think about the inner workings of the mechanics behind the the game I am about to play and I am not really using my imagination much anymore at all.

So what do I do on release day? Usually I have a lot of other things to do so I don't even open the game until a few days later and basically... I just play it, complete it and move on to the next thing. This is how it went down with Tears of the Kingdom as well.

I hope this will someday change again.

The replies you will be mostly getting might be quite one-sided, as much of Famiboards population are on the older side I think.

By all means stay hyped, it is a blessing to have such enthusiasm!

I always grab something to eat or order a pizza. I don’t cook on New Game Day because it takes time away from playing the game, lol

I’ve mostly stopped buying games on release day. When I did, I’d usually just play it unless I had other plans (which was rare).

No ritual or tradition like ordering takeout because back then I didn’t cook that often so ordering takeout was something I did in general, not merely for new game release day.

I didn’t call out either because I was paid hourly so missing that day would affect overtime and the quarterly attendance bonus. I was hella poor during those times. 🤷‍♀️

I leave the house early to pick up the game, have some lunch in one of the restaurants near my workplace, then i play the game for a bit until going to work.

I set an early alarm, so I can play the game for an hour or so before I have to go to work, if it releases on a Friday. I usually try and keep the Saturday after free of plans to play more

If I'm really looking forward to a game I'll order some food and take a day off, but it's fairly rare. Otherwise I kind of just play it a lot with the free time I have available.

I usually like to find a way to play at midnight if I'm really excited for it. It's hard to take days off my job without ample advance notice, so I usually just find the time to play when I can. It's always nice when a break lines up with a game I'm extremely excited for. I had a week off coincidentally for xbc3 and it was magical. On the other hand, I was extremely busy for weeks after totk came out. Though, I still made time wherever I could, of course

I make time for myself, go purchase the game - always physical store if i can afford it - and on my way back i get a 0,0 Beer or some soda plus something to snack on that is clean enough to not leave residues in the controller (having to clean the controller afterwards dampens my enjoyment)

Then, at night, i'll resume playing until sleep time, take a shower to wash off any sweat i may have accumulated and go directly to sleep, satisfied and, usually, very happy.

Tears of the Kingdom is the only time I've ever really gone all out. I took several days off, cleaned my flat the most thoroughly I have since I moved in the day beforehand, bought a shitton of snacks, pre-ordered to collect it from my last standing local store first thing in the morning so I wouldn't need to wait for it to drop through my door, headed out early, queued up, bought it, went home, put it in my Switch and sat for a moment to soak it all in. This was the most excited I'd ever been about a game. I then played it until about 10pm that night when my eyes started to go squiggly so I went for a walk to try and reset them to play more.

Normal game, I pick up the parcel that flopped through my door when I get in, open it when I reach the sofa, and then maybe play it for a bit if I've got time and energy because if not it'll wait til Sunday. It's less ceremonious.

If I do get a game on release date, I wreck my sleep schedule by playing into the dead silence of the early morning.

Thankfully I don’t buy a lot of games on day 1 anymore! No, my sleep has not improved significantly.

For Tears of the Kingdom and Breath of the Wild (and Splatoon 3 partially) I took an entire week off to play.

I used to try and wake up right before a game released and pull an all nighter for stuff I was really looking forward to

but i'm old enough now that that just messes me up enough that I end up playing the game less over those couple days than if i'd just slept normally so I stopped doing that

I do a very neat cleaning of my gaming cave. That's pretty much it.. But it's good enough for me :>

I .... Buy the game and play it?
I think it’s fun to have traditions when you’re excited for a game : ), i try to get a special food or something and relax and play. It’s gratifying when it’s something you’re looking forward to. If its something I’m extra anticipating, I’ll take a day off for a long weekend

Never buy games on release day or pre-order. It is anti-consumer. As a pro-consumer consumer myself, I wait on trusted reviews and impressions. Money doesn't grow on trees.

Back
Top Bottom