• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Retro What's your favorite Sega hardware?

What's your favorite Sega hardware?

• Arcade (System 1|2|16|24|C|32 - Model 1|2|3, Sega Titan, NAOMI 1&2, Chihiro, Lindbergh, RingEdge, ++

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • SG 1000 or Master System

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Mega Drive, Geneis, Mega CD, 32X, sega mega drive mini

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • Sega Pico or Advanced Pico Beena

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sega Saturn

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • Sega Dreamcast + VMU

Votes: 29 43.3%

• Total voters

Tailzo

Paratroopa
With Sega scaling back on arcade halls and Advanced Pico Beena not getting any new games since 2011, I think it is safe to say they haven't had a strong focus on making their own hardware in years. I have owned a few of those, while others I have never even tried before. I was in awe back in 2013 seeing such huge rows of sega arcade machines in Tokyo, something I have never seen the likes of in any European country I have visited. What is your favourite? Wether the reason is the sheer impressive graphics they showed back in the day, or the games you still love for that hardware back in the day.

Edit: Sorry for the spelling error in the poll choice

I have some odd nostalgia for the Saturn that is primarily based on my love for the Panzer Dragoon series. Saga is still one of my favourite games of all time.

All Sega consoles have some great games on them. I think the Dreamcast is my favourite, but they all have amazing line-ups as long as you have a Japanese (or modded to become region-free) Saturn and PAL Master System.

Not often PAL gets the best of a console, but if definitely did with the Master System.

Sega Pico is one of these weird machines I never tried. It uses similar hardware to a sega mega drive I believe, but it only has games for kids.

I’m pleased to see the love for Sega Saturn. That console just climbed my respect ladder after support ended. Tons of excellent games for it.

I love Dreamcast (even have a backup unit in case mine ever stops working) but I have major, major nostalgia for Genesis. Especially the old black grid game boxes. I printed covers in that style for all my games and put them over any third party or red strip covers.

Dreamcast. Loved the design, startup jingle and games (while they lasted). I still pull mine out for some Power Stone and Sonic Shuffle. Genesis is my close second though.

Including every arcade system under one option is a pure cheat. It wins by default since it covers the vast majority of SEGA’s historic catalogue (Including the vast majority of their console game libraries in superior form).

SEGA was an arcade game maker first and foremost.

Last edited:
I have to pick the Saturn. The Mega Drive would be my favourite otherwise but there's something magical about SEGA's white elephant. It has an incredible selection of games, an wonderful joypad, and the console itself is so pleasingly chonky and looks beautiful. There's nothing like the Saturn, and as it's surprisingly hard to emulate there's something even more special about the hardware.

Including every arcade system under one option is a pure cheat. It wins by default since it covers the vast majority of SEGA’s historic catalogue (Including the vast majority of their console game libraries in superior form).

SEGA was an arcade game maker first and foremost.
I don’t disagree, yet arcade has only one vote. So I think I was right putting them all together. :)

Game Gear where? Not that I was gonna vote for it.

I voted for Dreamcast, which I think it's iconic in many ways. There's also the Genesis that was a childhood friend of mine mostly because of Sonic and third party games. But their arcades are truly something. Yeah, they still live on in the arcades. Don't know if I should have voted for Dreamcast.

Dreamcast, by far. I still remember that fateful day on summer of 2000, when i saw it on display in a Best Buy (or circuit city) store in LA and fell in love immediately.

I had tons of fun with the Genesis when i was a kid and I love the console very much, but the DC had me return to the videogame hobby after dropping it out for years because of the N64 (and several other things happening in my life at the time), after the DC I never looked back again.

I never owned a Sega CD/32X/Saturn, actually i've never seen neither of those consoles either in the flesh or in the wild for selling.

Last edited:
Game Gear where? Not that I was gonna vote for it.

I voted for Dreamcast, which I think it's iconic in many ways. There's also the Genesis that was a childhood friend of mine mostly because of Sonic and third party games. But their arcades are truly something. Yeah, they still live on in the arcades. Don't know if I should have voted for Dreamcast.
Sorry, I was going to put that and Nomad with the Pico, but I forgot :p

I still have positivity for that era of Sega’s semi-autonomous production houses (Amusement Vision, Smilebit, Hitmaker, et al), so I have to go with the time period where that strategy worked well for unique game production, Dreamcast. Saturn is a close 2nd, though, I was in love with how good the Capcom arcade ports were and modded a Saturn to play Japanese versions of these games.

I never owned a Sega system growing up and I never really understood the appeal of many of the Sega games. My youth was in the 90's at a time when Sonic vs. Mario had already shifted to Sony vs. Nintendo. I saw Sonic games here and there but my first console was N64 so I never really had to make that 16 bit pick. I'm sure I would have chosen Nintendo, though. My wife grew up on the opposite track. The only console she owned for many years was a Genesis, and later a PlayStation that she was still playing when we met in 2006.

The games that my wife mostly played were The Lion King and Rayman. I never really could get into Rayman as a kid because I couldn't get on with the GBC version. Nowadays I love both games. My wife was and is a seriously skilled gamer. Any time she doubts her abilities I remind her that she 100%'d Rayman, a mega-impressive feat. I mean it took me years playing Rayman on and off with her to 100% it, even using the 99 lives code, and platformers are my favorite genre.

Anyway. I was lucky to receive a Sega Genesis from my wife for Christmas in 2016. I can't believe that was nearly five years ago. I remember it like it was yesterday. We were on a trip down to the Gulf Coast of Alabama, staying in an AirBNB with a lush view of flora, fauna and sea. When I close my eyes I can just transport myself back to the feeling of that sea breeze, and the coziness of the house we were staying in. I think about that trip a lot. I got my wife the Wind Waker amiibos and they proudly stood on the mantle in the living room. We watched Japanese dramas and MasterChef Australia. And we played some seriously special games. Alongside the Genesis was a copy of The Lion King. And Castle of Illusion, too.

At first I wasn't sure if there was a TV in that house we could play the system on. There was an old small CRT in a closet that seemed to only handle Genesis in black and white. We managed to hook it up to the main LCD TV and it looked surprisingly good. We made our way through The Lion King and we'd leave the system on for hours to not lose mid-level progress. Those levels get incredibly tough and there were times we had other plans and had to pull ourselves away from that screen. It's tough because the game is addictively fun and well-designed, the soundtrack is a surprisingly excellent rendition of the film's score, and the graphics to me are astounding for their time. Eventually, we beat it, with my wife defeating Scar, as we'd alternated levels the whole way through. It was a real triumph, especially since she'd tried for years to beat it. Those Disney games had an almost arcade-like difficulty as we now know they were relatively short games with the difficulty acting as a way to ensure value by lengthening the playthrough time.

We also ended up playing Ori as our second game for that trip. That's now one of my all-time favorites so it was just an especially excellent gaming holiday season that year.

Anyway, I really loved that first experience with Sega Genesis. We've since played through some other games including Aladdin (the animation is honestly amazing) and most recently World of Illusion at the beginning of this year. There are some others I plan to play too, some of which are sitting on Wii VC (for example, Beyond Oasis), some in our TV stand (Rocket Knight Adventures) and some I'm hoping to obtain in the future (Quackshot). The 8bitdo controller is awesome, too.

(And here I am only just now understanding that's a pun on 'crack shot.')

So, yeah, I love the Sega Genesis, it represents a lost gaming era for me, a comfy nostalgic gaming paradise and time machine to an alternate happier youth unwrapping Christmas presents with the kid who would become my wife.

My next Sega milestone plan is to try a Sonic game for real. I played some Advance as a kid but never really got into it, same with an Adventure demo or a demo for its sequel, and same with a Lost World demo. I was reading about the Sonic 3 OST earlier this year though and I'd really like to try the Xbox 360 version, and Sonic Mania and BC Generations have caught my eye, too.

Thanks to anyone who made.it through this lengthy post. It felt good to share this story with you all. And thank you @Tailzo for another wonderful thread. I never knew what the Pico was, so it was fascinating to look that up.

Sega Dreamcast, the arcade experience in your hands.

Shenmue
MVC2
Grandia
NBA2k
Sonic Adventure 1 & 2
Timecop
Confidential Mission
Ikaruga
Crazy Taxi
KoF Series
PSO

There are so many games, and then you got online gaming. Uff this is such a good console, too bad the general audience did not like it.

Never owned any Sega hardware.

I honestly didn’t know they had any until the Wii Era where I learned about the video game history. Where I grew up, Sega just wasn’t in the market. It was all Nintendo and then it was PlayStation

I never owned a Sega system growing up and I never really understood the appeal of many of the Sega games. My youth was in the 90's at a time when Sonic vs. Mario had already shifted to Sony vs. Nintendo. I saw Sonic games here and there but my first console was N64 so I never really had to make that 16 bit pick. I'm sure I would have chosen Nintendo, though. My wife grew up on the opposite track. The only console she owned for many years was a Genesis, and later a PlayStation that she was still playing when we met in 2006.

The games that my wife mostly played were The Lion King and Rayman. I never really could get into Rayman as a kid because I couldn't get on with the GBC version. Nowadays I love both games. My wife was and is a seriously skilled gamer. Any time she doubts her abilities I remind her that she 100%'d Rayman, a mega-impressive feat. I mean it took me years playing Rayman on and off with her to 100% it, even using the 99 lives code, and platformers are my favorite genre.

Anyway. I was lucky to receive a Sega Genesis from my wife for Christmas in 2016. I can't believe that was nearly five years ago. I remember it like it was yesterday. We were on a trip down to the Gulf Coast of Alabama, staying in an AirBNB with a lush view of flora, fauna and sea. When I close my eyes I can just transport myself back to the feeling of that sea breeze, and the coziness of the house we were staying in. I think about that trip a lot. I got my wife the Wind Waker amiibos and they proudly stood on the mantle in the living room. We watched Japanese dramas and MasterChef Australia. And we played some seriously special games. Alongside the Genesis was a copy of The Lion King. And Castle of Illusion, too.

At first I wasn't sure if there was a TV in that house we could play the system on. There was an old small CRT in a closet that seemed to only handle Genesis in black and white. We managed to hook it up to the main LCD TV and it looked surprisingly good. We made our way through The Lion King and we'd leave the system on for hours to not lose mid-level progress. Those levels get incredibly tough and there were times we had other plans and had to pull ourselves away from that screen. It's tough because the game is addictively fun and well-designed, the soundtrack is a surprisingly excellent rendition of the film's score, and the graphics to me are astounding for their time. Eventually, we beat it, with my wife defeating Scar, as we'd alternated levels the whole way through. It was a real triumph, especially since she'd tried for years to beat it. Those Disney games had an almost arcade-like difficulty as we now know they were relatively short games with the difficulty acting as a way to ensure value by lengthening the playthrough time.

We also ended up playing Ori as our second game for that trip. That's now one of my all-time favorites so it was just an especially excellent gaming holiday season that year.

Anyway, I really loved that first experience with Sega Genesis. We've since played through some other games including Aladdin (the animation is honestly amazing) and most recently World of Illusion at the beginning of this year. There are some others I plan to play too, some of which are sitting on Wii VC (for example, Beyond Oasis), some in our TV stand (Rocket Knight Adventures) and some I'm hoping to obtain in the future (Quackshot). The 8bitdo controller is awesome, too.

So, yeah, I love the Sega Genesis, it represents a lost gaming era for me, a comfy nostalgic gaming paradise and time machine to an alternate happier youth unwrapping Christmas presents with the kid who would become my wife.

My next Sega milestone plan is to try a Sonic game for real. I played some Advance as a kid but never really got into it, same with an Adventure demo or a demo for its sequel, and same with a Lost World demo. I was reading about the Sonic 3 OST earlier this year though and I'd really like to try the Xbox 360 version, and Sonic Mania and BC Generations have caught my eye, too.

Thanks to anyone who made.it through this lengthy post. It felt good to share this story with you all. And thank you @Tailzo for another wonderful thread. I never knew what the Pico was, so it was fascinating to look that up.
Thank you for sharing, posts like these elevate the forum and makes it a pleasure to read.

I hope the Sonic Origins collection will be as good as the Sonic fan port «Sonic 3 A.I.R.», it could be a good game for you if you want to see Sonic in his best games, in my opinion :)

I have a soft spot for the Dreamcast, but the Mega Drive was one of my first forays into console gaming as a kid, and it remains incredible.

I guess Genesis has my favorite library of the bunch. I've never owned a Sega system or played one for more than 20-30 minutes.

Ooph, this is legit a difficult one for me.

- Master System was the first console I ever played, and so has a special place in my heart.

- Mega Drive was home to the Sonic games, which were formative experiences for me. We had the Mega Drive 2 model, which was a really lovely little machine.

- I got into Saturn through the second hand market about 8 years ago. Panzer Dragoon Saga is stunning, and it was the last Sega hardware to feature that distinctive black design which, thanks to Master System and Mega Drive, was my impression of what gaming hardware should look like.

- Dreamcast is home to Soul Calibur, Crazy Taxi, and Skies of Arcadia. It's also a romantic machine, given it was Sega's last hurrah in the console space. Along with the GameCube, it's also one of my favourite sounding consoles - the disc squeaks and fan whir remain so distinct to me.

Long story short, I've no idea.

My head says Megadrive for its large lineup of vintage 16-bit action and platform games, but my heart says Saturn for Panzer Dragoon 1 & 2.

I have to say Dreamcast. Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi, Soul Calibur, Jet Set Radio, Grandia 2, Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue, and plenty more lead me down that very personally biased choice.
Mega Drive has to be the second place, perhaps first if I take my Dreamcast nostalgia glasses off maybe.

The SEGA Master System, purely for nostalgia as it was my first console; Especifically, Tec-Toy's model III.

1552015161221.jpg

Sure is RF only, but this doesn't hinders my experience

Beyond the hardware itself, there are some of my favorite games on the system, both from SEGA and 3rd Parties

Great story. :) Since you like Genesis Disney games, make sure to check out some of the quality Master System ones as well like Castle of Illusion (different game than the 16-bit one), Land of Illusion, and Lucky Dime Caper.

I voted Gen/MD for the poll. I had every Sega console during its generation (except SG-1000, and Pico isn't really worth counting) and it's the one I think has the best overall line up of games. The others are awesome, too. The SMS is very underrated.

Great story. :) Since you like Genesis Disney games, make sure to check out some of the quality Master System ones as well like Castle of Illusion (different game than the 16-bit one), Land of Illusion, and Lucky Dime Caper.

I voted Gen/MD for the poll. I had every Sega console during its generation (except SG-1000, and Pico isn't really worth counting) and it's the one I think has the best overall line up of games. The others are awesome, too. The SMS is very underrated.
Thanks Neo! These days, if I wanted to try an SMS game, is my best bet an original console through my Retrotink? Was the console released in NA?

Thanks Neo! These days, if I wanted to try an SMS game, is my best bet an original console through my Retrotink? Was the console released in NA?
I haven't used Retrotink. Emulators on PC like Meka and Fusion work well. There are adapters to play SMS games on Genesis, too (most games are compatible with Genesis controllers). And there are a few modern releases like Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap and Phantasy Star on Switch with nice touch ups.

And yeah, the console was released in NA. It didn't sell very well but was on the market for over five years.

Love 'em all, have 'em all, play 'em all. If I absolutely had to pick, the internet really made Dreamcast special. A lot of it probably isn't actually possible to experience anymore nowadays, but back then it was extra cool to download quests like Central Dome Fire Swirl for Phantasy Star Online, browse around and then save any cool picture to use as spraypaint in Jet Grind Radio, and when my PC died for a bit I could even use chat services and message boards to keep up with friends!

For a very brief moment in time, during the early 2000's, the Dreamcast was a perfect console that could do basically anything I wanted it to do... except play DVDs.

I haven't used Retrotink. Emulators on PC like Meka and Fusion work well. There are adapters to play SMS games on Genesis, too (most games are compatible with Genesis controllers). And there are a few modern releases like Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap and Phantasy Star on Switch with nice touch ups.

And yeah, the console was released in NA. It didn't sell very well but was on the market for over five years.
Thanks for the info! I'm going to look up those adapters. I really like how Genesis looks via Retrotink 2X. Seems like the modern releases are mostly games I'm not interested in. I did try Dragoon's Trap but couldn't get into it. Loved Monster Boy though.

Dreamcast was awesome too; it would've been mind-blowing seeing the likes of Soul Calibur and Shenmue back in the late 90s.

It was the system that truly fulfilled the company mantra of bringing the arcade experience to your home, and a poetic swansong to Sega's hardware business.

Last edited:
I ended up voting for the Saturn, but honestly on a different day it could have gone to the Genesis. Both were fantastic systems, with a ton of great games on them.

I really want to say it's the Megadrive/Genesis. It's the only one I've actually got a decent amount of experience using, it has by far the most games that I care for of any Sega console and one of my favourite games of all time (Sonic 3) first released on it.

That said I've gotta give it to the Dreamcast. It's got by far one of the worst controllers I've ever used, is obnoxiously loud (at least the one I used), only has really 2 games that I care for (Crazy Taxi & Sonic Adventure), and I don't and have no plans to ever own one myself. But there's just something special about the way Dreamcast fans talk about the machine and the zeitgeist around it that makes their nostalgia and reverence for it so infectious. Probably a bit odd to feel such a strong secondhand nostalgia for a console that I don't even really like and was long dead before I was even born but that's just the power of Dreamcast fans.

But there's just something special about the way Dreamcast fans talk about the machine and the zeitgeist around it that makes their nostalgia and reverence for it so infectious. Probably a bit odd to feel such a strong secondhand nostalgia for a console that I don't even really like and was long dead before I was even born but that's just the power of Dreamcast fans.
I think part of that is because of message boards are so dominated by the age group that would have the most attachment to it. Middle aged Sega fans might similarly revere the Master System for what it was like in its era but these people are a smaller group online.

I was never a big Sega fan. As a kid, the Genesis always felt weird to me and I never knew anyone with a Master System, Sega CD or Saturn. I thought the Game Gear was cool (backlight!) but I preferred my Game Boy.

But when my friend got a Dreamcast, I loved it. It felt so high tech and it exposed me to many great games and genres I had never seen before. It was the first Sega console I actually wanted to own for myself, although I never did get one.

I’ve had every Sega System released in the west. Excluding the 32X add on because it was just that… an add on. I was a Sega kid through and through.

My f sprite Sega offerings were the Sega CD, Saturn, and Dreamcast. If I had to pick my all time favorite, it is a tight race between the Saturn and the Dreamcast. The Saturn, especially including import games which do count since the big game stores in the U.S. sold Saturn imports due to knowing we were not getting any of the games down here, was amazing.

That said, five to Dreamcast. Holy shit was a fantastic launch line up and overall library to the very end. Dreamcast was all the first time since the SNES that I was wowed by a system and what it can do. Ahead of its time. It saddens me it ended because it beat the PS2 by a year, had great games, and at the time had the most successful console launch.

And the games did not look as good on the PS2 when they were ported over after Dreamcast died.

I’m still bitter about what happened. Love Dreamcast.

As someone who finds the technical workings of hardware intriguing, Sega's consoles were mostly quite interesting, and just generally had a lot of personality.

The Saturn for example was a monster with 2D graphics, but the way it handled 3D graphics was quite different from its contemporaries as it used quads instead of triangles, and its chipset was quite complicated and difficult to fully harness, but could still produce some really impressive results in hands of talented programmers, such as Burning Rangers, Panzer Dragoon Zwei, and even a remarkable "impossible port" of Quake.

Dreamcast was very ahead of its time technically, to the point where despite launching 2 years before the PS2, it could exceed it in some areas.

Even aside from technological minutia, just in terms of their vibe, where a lot of consoles feel like the equivalent of a utilitarian family car or 4WD, Sega's always felt like a sports or muscle car, stylish and charismatic.

I'm curious what you found weird about it. It was a pretty mainstream system with something for everyone as far as 2d games go.

I dunno, I guess I was just all-in on Nintendo/SNES at that point. The Genesis controller always felt weird to me. 3 buttons? All 3 make Sonic jump? Aside from that, I just wasn't familiar with a lot of their big franchises, even though they were obviously mainstream and popular. Chalk it up to ignorance I guess. Although I still don't enjoy most Sega games from that era if I'm being honest.

The Saturn for especially in the when looking back in the last 10 years.

Still so many gems which have yet to be ported to other systems.

Just a shame that the price of many of those gems are so steep nowadays thanks to the retro resurgence.

Also been appreciating Sega arcade hardware with the Sega Naomi 1 and 2 systems. It's awesome having them hooked up to a candy cabinet.

Did you know the sega saturn 3d pad

Saturn_MK-80314.jpg

Was released 5th july 1996? That’s only days after the nintendo 64 released. My brother had one and I remember thinking it felt really good to use in Nights.

Did you know the sega saturn 3d pad

Saturn_MK-80314.jpg

Was released 5th july 1996? That’s only days after the nintendo 64 released. My brother had one and I remember thinking it felt really good to use in Nights.
It's nice for analog control but the d-pad is a bit stiffer than the regular Saturn controller. For digital, Saturn and Gen/MD button are both excellent. I don't know why modern first-party d-pads are inferior to them.

Back
Top Bottom