• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Whatcha Playin' This Weekend, Fam? |1/13-1/15|

Red Monster

Professional Conversationalist
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
tumblr_ox6hk6rJdt1wcm85vo1_500.gif

IT'S THE WEEKEND ONCE AGAIN!
Happy Friday one and all, and welcome to your weekly "What are you playing?" thread. Tell us what games you're planning on being stuck in on your days off!

---------------------------------------------------
I'm gonna be playing just one game this weekend:

Metroid-Dread-1.gif

Metroid Dread

I just started my seventh (!) Dread playthrough, although this is my first time playing the game since it came out. I'm finding that coming back to it is like slipping on a well-worn pair of slippers: immediately comfortable and familiar. Despite the admittedly complicated control scheme, lots of things are second nature to me. Muscle memory is kicking in big time, without me even having to think about what buttons do what. Big Bird better watch out, cause I'm comin' for him.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Reminder that the Metroid community event ends soon!

My kid is very into Kirby and the Forgotten Land. He unlocked the snow levels so I'll be the tag-in waddle dee as needed.

In FF7, I'm also in a chilly place. I snowboarded down the mountain the other day and am about to approach the glacier!

Also, Marvel Snap has continued to be a part of the nightly routine. Maybe I'll make a low-temp deck with freezes, Ice Man, winterized variants and the like to make it a fully subzero themed gaming weekend!

I just got my first OLED TV a few days ago and I'd like to try it out with Metroid Dread, I loved how it looked on the SWOLED lol

Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition on my Switch, and filled in with a bit of Rocket League (as always). Probably my last weekend/week playing old stuff for a while, starting with Fire Emblem the big new releases get pretty consistent til at least the end of June, lol!

Fire Emblem Engage is still not out yet so I'm playing the same game as last week, the waiting game.
This is pretty much what I'm doing as well and some cleanup.

Bought Sunbreak few weeks ago but lots of hub quests remain, I'm trying to finish them all. But I doubt I'll start Sunbreak right away because soon I'm gonna ENGAGE!

Fire Emblem Engage is still not out yet so I'm playing the same game as last week, the waiting game.

reggie-nintendo.gif

I could finally finish up Three Hopes in the meantime I guess.
Yeah I'm like this, gonna stick to my budget for gaming this year, so just replaying until FE Engage is out.

Gonna replay Astalon this weekend

Sonic Frontiers mostly. Did some shiny hunting last night in Violet before bed but only got a gold Foretress or however it is spelled. So I am at 18 or so shiny Pokemon not counting evolutions.

I think my goal is to finish Live A Live. Got some momentum going in SD Gundam Battle Alliance as well

Hoping to finish Rise of the Third Power before Fire Emblem. The in game timer continues running while you are on the home screen so though it is telling me I'm near 40hrs in it's probably closer to 20. Might hit some Inscryption post game if I finish it sooner than expected.

Crash 4 and Rayman Revolution for me. It looks like I'll be able to finish Rayman Revolution this week after all, before I go back to college (I play it on a TV which I'm not taking to college)

Hopefully finishing up the story in Rusty Real Deal and purchasing the last few games. Won’t be technically completing it but I gotta move on to the next thing. Which is looking to be Stretchmo until I hit the full unlock point. Stupid eShop closure.

Otherwise, going to a local board game group this weekend again and hopefully not feeling awkward again as the new person who is also oldest one there.

I finally finished Mario Picross this week so I’m moving on there finally. Every time I thought it was done it just kept going, but the ending was silly which made it worth it Wario writes the names for the last set of puzzles that are all zoomed in pictures of Mario and Wario’s body parts and he hypes himself up with stuff like “beautiful person’s ear” while putting down Mario lol. I’m definitely finishing Samurai Maiden this weekend as I’m in the back half. Not the best game, but I’m having fun with it and want to see it through. I’m not committed yet, but I picked up my Breath of Fire save from seven months ago. If I do commit to it, I’ll be writing posts in the RPG thread.

I’m also excited to watch the last day of Awesome Games Done Quick and I have an online game day with friends planned for Sunday.

This weekend I'm probably gonna finish up case 4 of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (It's been a while since my last playthrough). I've forgotten parts of it but its still as delightful as ever.

I've also gone back to working through more of the Adventure Maps in Hyrule Warriors on Switch. Just started in on the Twilight Map so I'll probably just work on opening stuff up and trying to get weapon unlocks off of there first.
Hyrule Warriors is my chill game that I play off and on. I expect when Fire Emblem Engage comes out I'll put it down for a bit, but for now its been really great as a way to unwind from work and just catch up on some podcasts.

Sonic Frontiers replay on Switch and FF14 on Steam Deck. Maybe I will be redownloading Fire Emblem Warriors (original) and finishing some more DLC.

Hades caught me again this past week so it's likely i'll continue to play more Hades...

Maybe some Suduko and Starcraft 2 as well

It appears I also decided to start Trails from Zero when I went to bed last night, played for a good 40 or so minutes before I was too tired, let's see if it sticks

I'm near the end of route B in Nier Automata, so I'll be continuing on with that and aiming to make headway into route C.

Between illness and work, I think it's going to be difficult for me to play a bunch of different things like I was initially hoping, so I'll be mostly focusing on one thing at a time for now. Finishing Automata before the 20th for Engage is the goal, so this time next week I can be like "I AM PLAYING FIRE EMBLEM ENGAGE FOR THE NINTENDO SWITCH OLED FROM THE NINTENDO SWITCH FAMILY OF SYSTEMS".

Probably more Tactics Ogre, I'm up to Chapter 3 now. Full chaos route.

Not sure what else? I'm feeling like some Star Wars, but do I go for Lego Star Wars Skywalker Saga or Jedi Fallen Order? Currently leaning towards the latter.

After finishing a few games this month, I’m having trouble latching on to something new. I retired Nobody Saves the World; just wasn’t feeling that one at all. Even the 3 or so hours I tried to get into it felt sort of gruelling. Maybe it’d be more fun with two players but, alas, I was playin’ solo.

I haven’t retired Tactics Ogre Reborn just yet, but I am genuinely shocked by how much trouble I’m having getting into it. I feel like it checks a lot of boxes for me, at least on the surface. Maybe I need to watch a video. It feels like I’m missing something…

Tried to start Disco Elysium, but was tired and felt totally overwhelmed by the character creation! Lol. Think I will like this game, but want to start it on a clearer head.

In response to all that…I’ve been playing a bunch of Diablo III! Trying to rip n tear through Season 27 before it’s over

iu

I'm dog busy between two jobs right now, so the elegant simplicity and emergent fun of the always online Deep Rock Galactic is really hitting the spot for me, especially since I'm on during peak hours. An extremely entertaining and engaging game about digging deep into the earth, mining minerals with your friends, and swatting dangerous alien bugs. Fifty hours in and I can't even confidently say I've hit mid-game.

Hoping to finally start Eastward this weekend.
As a fan of Earthbound, this has always intrigued me...

Played some Warzone this morning. Had an absolute banger match were we won with 36 kills. Will spend the rest of the weekend finishing Metroid Fusion/Zero Mission (before the badges close) and The Last of Us Left Behind (before the show airs)

Finally finishing AI Somnium Files this weekend/next week. Plot has become pretty insane.

Aso playing some Tuff E Nuff cuz of my NSO project. Some of the battles are just BS.

Kept watching people play Cult of the Lamb on twitch, which made me want to finish it, but I ended up starting a whole new cult instead. I was hoping there had been some some significant patches and maybe there have, but it still struggles on my Switch if there’s too much onscreen.

Probably also going to chip away at Yakuza LAD but I’m falling off it again, not because I don’t love it but because so much money and content is locked behind the confection business game and I have NO desire to play that. Gives me anxiety just looking at it.

We're working tirelessly to surmount the boss in the first Dicey Dungeons DLC. It's a bit crazy but I know it'll be mega satisfying. I'm also trying the final Master Trials in BOTW as I near the end of the game with a good buffer of time before TOTK. They're super tough to me already but I'm gonna keep at it. 😄

Finished Demon's Souls Remake on PS5. As great as I remembered (hadn't played it since back on the PS3 waaay back when). It's accurate even right down to the weird AI with some enemies and bosses that run or fly into the sky and float around all confused, forgetting why they're there.

Started Trails from Zero on Switch last night, this music is the real stuff. Could listen to that all day. Music is so similar to Persona 2. Combat is fun. Gonna have a good time with this game, I can feel it.

The Quarry is very good so far which I started just after finishing Demon's Souls Remake.

Also trying for the best ending for Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth this time on the side. Game is still a masterpiece and the stories hit differently now I'm much older than when I first played it.

Finished Sonic Frontiers. Good game but some things pissed me off lol. Next weekend is going to be free for Fire Emblem Engage!

God of War Ragnarok is about it for me, really been enjoying it since I came back to it a week or so ago
No idea how far in I am but it’s just as fun as I remember 2018 being when I first went through that gane

I wasn’t planning on it, but since I’ve been home with COVID for several days now I picked up Chained Echoes and have really been enjoying it. Great game so far, and it seems like things are really about to go down in the plot so I’m eager to see where this goes.

Started In Sound Mind on switch. Let me tell you something... it's the fucking worst port on switch! You thought Ark was bad? No, this one is even worse. At least they reworked Ark port from the ground up. This one is beyond terrible. No hyperbole, it looks like an "upscaled" DS game. No seriously. And I put upscaled in quotes, cause the resolution must be 240p or something. I have a big tolerance for bad graphics, I enjoy PS1 aesthetics in games, but this one is terrible beyond belief.
Too bad cause I really liked from what I played in the first hour. But no thanks. Fuck this port man!

very excited to hear your takes on it a week or so from now
I just beat it earlier today, because before the weekend I had already played it for a couple of days. It's an absolutely addictive gameplay loop! I kept losing and going for another run immediately. Plus, since I was able to keep away from spoilers during all this time, I was pleasantly surprised by the turns the game took later on.

It's a 9/10 for me and one of the best indies I have played.

I do have a couple of spoilery nitpicks, though.

Like I said, I loved how the game mechanics changed between the three acts, but I thought Act 2 was a bit too reliant on luck. With the same deck I could either be destroyed by a boss or wipe the floor with them depending on what cards I drew. I realize this is somewhat inherent to card games, but I did not feel like that in Acts 1 and 3. I believe that's mostly because Act 2 puts Squirrels and other cards on the same pile.

Another complaint I have is that I wish the awesome story were more fully detailed within the game itself. I know the intention was to leave details out so people dug into them via the ARG component, but I still feel they could have put more of the plot into the game in order to make it feel fulfilling when we got to the finish line. Personally, the conclusion wasn't totally satisfying.

What a great game that is. How are you liking it?
I’ve already beat it twice on PS4 back when it came out but this is my first experience with the PS5 version. I kind of forgot how Ubisoft it is in the open world design - something I expect Insomniac to dramatically improve on for the sequel. The combat and writing is still top-notch, though.

Back
Top Bottom