• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Whatcha Playin’ This Weekend, Fam? |9/15-9/17|

Relaxing this weekend with some kindle books and coffee.

2E88FF7500000578-3322566-Just_a_regular_cup_of_Joe_Taking_the_It_s_Always_Sunny_In_Philad-a-42_1447788234647.jpg

Checks notes 4th TotK playthrough.

Funny, a few months back, I was certain that I would probably end up playing Starfield all month, and was excited for it. Oh, well...

Ok, so the saturday has gone by and my gaming day was... interesting, to say the least

Before challenging the Saffron gym, i wanted to get all my rotation Pokémon ready and, for that, i needed TMs and knew where to get them: The Celadon Game Corner, so my Pokémon Fire Red session was defined by this
gamecorner2.png

Before booting the game i prepared a playlist with my favorite hbomberguy videos, because i knew i was getting into

And hooooo boy, it was a wild ride. I spent 30000 pokeyens on coins and got into it so hard that i managed to get the overall timing right, geting 777 around 1/10 times, and achieving the mythical amount of 9999 coins in my purse.

So, of course, i got Porygon

And since my stupid pride didn't allow me to cheat precisely on this, i went back to the slot machine and kept playing and playing, until i managed to get all the TMs. This, mind you, forced me to fill the purse two more times. That's right, i spent almost 6 hours playing the slots, at one point my eyes entered Ultra Instinct mode and i managed to get 777s around 5/10 times. Sweet.

Now i don't want to even heard of a slot machine anymore for the rest of my miserable life.

After that, i was too tired to even do anything aside of using PKSM to multiply those TM as if they were going out of style, so i turned off the console and stopped my hbomberguy playlist. It was time to do something, anything else.

(i'm never doing this again jesus christ, from here on i'm cheating every single game corner i have to use.)

The Crew: Motorsport
Played this one in the morning, and in all honesty i regret playing the closed beta, mostly because, aside of fine tuning the handling, nothing has changed and repeating the first playlist (i went for the Scenic Hawaii Tour again) is pretty boring, but precisely because they tuned the handling now i know i'm buying this game some time. Ivory Tower/Eden Game's flavor of open world racing game, even if it has been Horizonified, is still my favorite.

LoZ: Tears of the Kingdom
Finally i decided to go back to Hyrule, nothing agaisnt Odyssey and Kassandra, but AC harasses you with sidequests like it or not. The starting village is suffocating. That said, last time i played TotK i was in Zora's Domain looking for the glyphs, so that's what i kept doing, however, i mostly traveled south, did every shrine i found, activated a tower and found myself in the sky islands doing some fun shit, including one of those quests of finding the menhir to rebuild a shrine. Used a lot of constructs instead of the usual methods.

Refreshing, after almost 6 hours of slot machines shivers

Forgot I was also completing Curse Crackers, manage to finish the main game which the last levels were more challenging but at that point you have all the mechanics memorized. But then there's a whole postgame with more levels, and secret areas in previous levels and oh boy, the difficulty spike did go up a lot. Thankfully there are no lives so you can try as much as you want, and finally nailed one that needs vault jumps mid air with an item

This game is amazing

So I didn’t end up finishing Dragon Ball Advanced, although I am pretty close. I’m at the final level and I’m ready for it to end, even after only a couple of hours. The combat, which was flashy and interesting at first, has grown super stale. And the 2D platform brawler levels which seemed so unique at the beginning of the game have become less than fun. Still, it’s cool to see a game that focuses on Dragon Ball, instead of the much more popular Z.

The vast majority of my weekend, gaming-wise, has been spent grinding out side quests in FF16. I’ve probably put seven or eight hours into the game this weekend, which is remarkable for me honestly. And all that hard work is paying off, too! Not only are the endless side quests nearly at an end, but these quests have provided some of the best character interaction in the whole game, as well as some of the best rewards to boot. It’s hard to believe this content is optional, honestly. I’m so glad that I decided to work through it instead of blasting to the end like I was planning on doing!

My gaming this weekend didn’t go as anticipated but in a good way. I finished the section in Octogonia in Dragon Quest 11s which was a cool section overall, the boss I had to fight was the first time I’ve had any party members get wiped out!

Outside of that though, I fired up my old save on Super Mario Odyssey which I’ve not played since I beat the game since 2017, I checked my moon count and I was only on 252 moons! Managed to find another 12 so my total is now up to 264, I’ll keep dipping back into this and finding more!

I also started playing Animal Crossing; New Horizons last night, first AC game I’ve ever tried and I quite enjoyed my time with it so far. Another one I’ll keep dipping into especially with all the events coming up

Both Saturday & Sunday were dedicated to Baldur's Gate 3 on PS5.
Now with 60 hrs play time yet still processing ACT I, I can confirm it's a pretty good game.
I am sure my spirits is high on Monday, but I could barely open my eyes.

The weekend is over and, with it, these two days of planned gaming.

Sunday didn't... go exactly as planned.

I was expecting Pokémon Fire Red to be my focus. I mean, i got the Celadon Game Corner TMs, right? I should be aching to get into the game, teach my critters those awesome moves and grind like crazy, right?

Well... No.

My Pokémon sunday game time was particularly short and was focused mostly on grinding. Nothing particularly special was achieved and i barely advanced. This was my team when i turned off my 3DS last night:

• Moonie the Clefairy (lv. 29) - Finally back to rotation! Instead of teaching him all the elemental TMs as intented (wich was impossible since i had to teach him Flash to go through the rock tunnel) i gave him Psychic and Shadow ball. I'm debating if i should teach him a normal type attack that is worth a damn and evolve him.
  • Ferryman the Lapras (lv. 29) - Straight from Sylph S.A. I have always wondered why there was a rando holding a Lapras there, given that, going by the Pokédex, it can understand human speech. Teached him Water Pulse and Psychic and added him to rotation as an alternative to Blasto. Despite having learned those mighty fine TM moves, he just bodyslams everything to death.
  • ChuPika the Raichu (lv. 33) - I evolved her! Took a look at her third gen moveset and it wasn't worth it to wait even further. Teached her Brick Break too. Everyone salute the electric rodent of destruction!
  • PiroDoggo the Arcanine (lv. 31) - Just like ChuPika, there wasn't anything else worth of making him stay as a Growlithe. Barely haven't used him in battle since the evolution
  • MsDriller the Fearow (lv. 32) - Learned fly and she's now an evil air taxi. Her other moves are too weak and/or lacking on precision, so i'm looking into what TMs i can teach her of if should add her to rotation
  • Raflessio the ★shiny★ Gloom (lv. 30) - Back to the team! Not evolving yet, but i'm questioning if he'll be viable for the second half of the second third of the game. I don't think he can resist too many psychic attacks, being part poison and all that.

Most likely, i'll spend the week getting my rotation Pokémon ready, so it's grinding ahoy. Thanks Arceus for rematches!

Main game was Tears of the Kingdom. I've realized why i put it on hold, and it was because there was so much to do i was feeling aimless. Last time i played i was looking for the glyphs, so i decided to continue the quest and make something like a pilgrimage out of it. My perspective changed when i decided to make them a resting point to plan my next expedition, and took a batman approach to battles, studying Moblin settlements and preparing assortments of combined weapons and constructs.

My highlight of the weekend was reaching Ona Ona and having to fight a monster horde all by myself. I combined some weapons with strong materials, a couple Zonnan shields with elemental dragon heads, equipped my strongest bow, readied an airbone machine construct and fought all of them slowly and methodically. It was an amazing and super engaging battle.

I only reached one glyph, but ignoring the sidequests (i even got two upon reaching Hylia's fountain) made the travel very relaxing, and i enjoyed every inch of negative space.

Regarding The Crew: Motorsport and F-Zero 99. played the first less than expected (only 2 out of the 5 trial hours) and used the second for short adrenaline bursts. I think my The Crew playtime is my fault, i should have picked another playlist.

So I didn’t end up finishing Dragon Ball Advanced, although I am pretty close. I’m at the final level and I’m ready for it to end, even after only a couple of hours. The combat, which was flashy and interesting at first, has grown super stale. And the 2D platform brawler levels which seemed so unique at the beginning of the game have become less than fun. Still, it’s cool to see a game that focuses on Dragon Ball, instead of the much more popular Z.

The vast majority of my weekend, gaming-wise, has been spent grinding out side quests in FF16. I’ve probably put seven or eight hours into the game this weekend, which is remarkable for me honestly. And all that hard work is paying off, too! Not only are the endless side quests nearly at an end, but these quests have provided some of the best character interaction in the whole game, as well as some of the best rewards to boot. It’s hard to believe this content is optional, honestly. I’m so glad that I decided to work through it instead of blasting to the end like I was planning on doing!
Yeah! Happy to hear you enjoyed the side quests Red! They really endeared to me so many of the characters and I don’t think I’d be quite as high on the game without them. They may not be as wild as the boss fights, but some of those quests were easily my favorite parts of the game.

Back
Top Bottom