• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Whatcha Playin’ This Weekend, Fam? |9/15-9/17|

Red Monster

Professional Conversationalist
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
Another Friday, another weekend thread! I hope everyone had a great week. Welcome to the weekend thread where we can tell everyone what we’re gonna be spending our days off doing. What games are you gonna be playing? We wanna know!

I’m still playing Final Fantasy XVI, although I’m getting close to the end. I’ve recently decided that I want to finish all the sidequests and the hunt board before rolling credits, so most of my gaming time will be spent doing late game cleanup before the final boss. The only other game that I’ll be playing is Dragon Ball: Advanced Adventure for the GBA. It’s a fun 2D brawler with decent visuals and satisfying gameplay. It’s not very long, so I might be able to finish it before Monday.

Have at it, pals. I hope everyone has a great weekend! Happy gaming.

I hope to finish Pokemon Emerald today, tomorrow at the latest, then start Pokemon Crystal. Took the week off from Splatoon 3, so I'll get back into that tomorrow, and of course, Super Mega Baseball 4. It feels so good to be able to say that, now that I finally got the difficulty dialed in to where it's perfect.

I have gotten into no rhythm with Starfield. I really want to dedicate a whole day to lit lol.

It's not the weekend until this thread appears!

I'm continuing with - and approaching the end of - Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Future Redeemed. Not sure if I will finish it this weekend, for several reasons; the first of which is yesterday's new release, F ZERO 99! Very much a fan of this one and will be dipping into it some more.

There's also the end of the rugby league season and the second weekend of the rugby union world cup, so the world of sports will eat into my gaming time.

Pokemon Scarlet/Violet: Teal Mask DLC

Beat the main story, so now's the time to just run amok and mess around. Might jump back into Starfield for some random planet expoloration too

Armored Core VI! Starting in on Chapter 3, catching up on the arena battles. Already one of my favourites this year, and still climbing. Can’t wait to see what’s coming up next.

Over on Switch I’ll be checking out F-Zero 99, along with a pair of demos: Star Ocean & Dragon Quest Monsters.

I've made it to Mexico in Red Dead, so I'd like to take a chunk out of that. The Messenger and Mario Kart 8 have been in my "Podcast Game" slot for a couple of days now, but F-Zero 99 may give them a temporary run for their money.

I'll look longingly at the listing for Sea of Stars and then stop myself from purchasing it until I finish Red Dead.

Keeping my Yakuza: LaD playthrough going, so I'll hopefully be able to wrap up the main story sometime next week.

Happy weekend Fami!

I’ll be continuing my adventures in Dragon Quest 11s, I’ve just reached Octogonia where there appears to be a big fighting tournament happening so I’m looking forward to delving into that.

Outside of that, I’ll be dabbling in F-Zero 99 and see if I can finish a GP. Still have Olli Olli World on the go as well so will hopefully make some progress in that.

FFXIV, i’m still in a realm reborn and doing all the side quests. I’m also waiting for playasia to deliver my Baiten Kaitos collection before I can play that.

Starting a new playthrough of Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones on the Wii U VC (haven't played Ephraim's story in a while since I'm a self-admitted Innes fangirl, so I'm looking forward to it) and starting the new Hercule Poirot: The London Case game that gets delivered to my door today! I loved the first one (The Early Cases) and I'm looking forward to the sequel. Some people bam on the series for being a French original (so the mouth flaps don't match up to the English) and for having a few bugs, but honestly they're indie games and they have a fascinating approach to gameplay.

I will be playing Chrono Cross and F Zero 99.

I have made a lot of progress in Chrono Cross. I am starting to
interact with the dragons
and am totally in the groove with it.

F Zero 99 is a lot of fun so far, happy to get in some more races whenever the time is right. I'm looking forward to the "Tetris Effect" to occur where I see a bunch of spinning cars from the future zooming around when I look at other stuff.

This weekend I have a lots of stuff. September is a busy month, way too many Switch releases coming out, and now Direct gave me two awesome shadow drops. I had been waiting for both on Switch.

So it's a mixture of:
Baten Kaitos 1&2 (just started the first game, this is a serious glow-up)
Solar Ash (surprisingly good port)
MythForce (despite its technical shortcomings, this is a fun roguelike)
Gunbrella
Super Bomberman R2 (I'll probably play this seriously in another time, this week was pretty crowded)
WarTales (from Shiro games, makers of Northgard. So far a fantastic tactics game. I fear this will fly under the radar)
Horizon Chase 2 (fun!)
Trombone Champ (this meme game is... surprisingly good. I love challenging rhythm game and this can get pretty hard, just to my liking!)

Mainly want to finish Ocean Shart because I feel like I’m close to the end. No, I’m not fixing it.

Otherwise, I want to keep losing in F-Zero 99. I may revisit Alundra to officially close the book on it.

To celebrate scoring the Tears of the Kingdom Pro Controller as well as pre-ordering the Ganondorf Amiibo, it may be time to open the game up.

I've started Parasite Eve because I saw a stream of the first hour and it's the funniest horror game of all time.
Aside from that, SMTIII and the first Tales of game that I still can't remember the name of because every Tales game has the exact same name.
My boyfriend is also interested in SNATCHER so might replay that old thing.

Probably a decent chunk of F-Zero 99, which still feels pretty "I can't believe this is a thing that actually exists". Looking to beat my personal best of placing 6th.

Also picked up Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town. Love the original back on GBA and I've had the itch to revisit it, so the remake going on sale was a lucky coincidence.

I'd love to throw myself at a psychological horror experience, but Loveland still isn't out, so my froggy torment is delayed. Still, indies take time! Maybe I'll boot up the demo again.
Baldur's Gate 3 has yet again won me over for my spare time thoughts, so it's probably gonna be that until my phones charged up, and throw me back into Wild Rift where hopefully I can get back to diamond.
Hmm..I am feeling a retro game now though. Maybe I'll play Touhou UFO...
[Edit: in case a touhou super fan reads this, UFO is nostalgic to me and IS 14 years old- if I wanted to truly go for "retro" i suppose EOSD would be my choice. however, UFO fun, leave me alone.]

Last edited:
Have a ton of games I want to play this weekend as a bunch just came out and I haven’t had much time with enjoying the Direct Speculation thread’s wild final week. My main game is certainly Rain Code this weekend. When I last played I just reached the murder in chapter 2, so I still need to investigate and solve the case. I’ve been holding off on the Pokemon DLC so I can play with my brother and we should be playing tonight so that will be fun. I also picked up both Trombone Champ and F-Zero 99 this week both of which are very fun so I’ll squeeze in a bit of both somehow too.

I'll keep playing starfield as my main weekend game alternating with FZero99 I'll also try out the various demos that came out

Starfield - Going to finish the Ryujin side quest line and figure out how to get a better ship cause I'm still clueless on that outside of stealing others in space.

Pokemon Emerald - The game really is comfort food :) I'm about to challenge the 4th gym, I always heard the mudkip line as the starter trivializes the first half of the game but Wattson -> Flannery combo is hilarious. The team so far is:

Marshtomp lvl 28
Koffing lvl 30
Swellow lvl 27
Breloom lvl 26
Linoone lvl 26

F-Zero 99 - It's so addicting and good!

it's 1am, I've been playing for two and a half hours, and the hideaway is still a mess of green exclamation points D: at least all the sidequests outside the hideaway are done though! Folks give the sidequests in XVI a bad rap and sometimes the game deserves it, but these have been great tonight.

I just finished Final Fantasy XVI this evening. I'm probably formulate my thoughts over the next few days but my initial feeling is that it's a good game but maybe my disappointment of the year. The game definitely has its moments and at times, it wants to take hold of the legacy of the series but then quickly runs away from it. Potential but never quite reaches it is how I would describe most parts of the game from the story, to the lore, to the characters, to the world, to the quests, and most all, it's combat.

Super psyched to continue into week seventeen of Tears of the Kingdom- on the path to unlock some stuff I don't even want to allude to in spoilers, had no idea it existed until I discovered it! Such a cool game.

Well I was finishing up the Teal Mask DLC but I ran into a game breaking glitch that prevents me from continuing the final challenge that hopefully gets patched out soon. Apparently a fairly common glitch as well from what I read online. So I started another playthrough of Link's Awakening despite the protests of my backlog.

Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean I started last night as well as the Star Ocean: The Second Story R demo. Star Ocean 2 Remake looks absolutely phenomenal..Baten Kaitos soundtrack is excellent so far too, classic Motoi Sakuraba.

I'm also going to be playing a lot of Anonymous;Code which is really good.

Another weekend, another 2-day space of gaming bliss! These are my plans:

Pokémon Fire Red
Surprisingly, i haven't touched this one that much through the week, whenever i've had free time i've been too tired or too anxious to play properly, but i've made some advances!

After freeing Mr Fuji i went south, got the Good rod and leveled up my teams while destroying oblivious fishers and naïve campers. Yay Pokémon training! Of course, i catched Snorlax and added him to my team, he'll be on rotation with ElPreparao from now on, after that i went grinding for a bit and then took out the TRash from Saffron city. Btw, the difficulty spike there from the point you bump into asshole rival is the stuff of nightmares, i went from steamrolling the TRash to being severely underleveled. That's some bad balancing shit right there.

Las time i played this was yesterday, and i stopped after freeing Sylph S.A. My current team is:

• Blasto the Blastoise (lv. 36) - Evolved right after beating Giovanni in a very anime manner. He's still a tank, but he's now a tank with two big cannons coming out of his shelf. Since Koffings and Wheezings now know self-destruct wich he can take without fainting, he's the new Koffing slayer.
  • ElPreparao the Nidoking (lv. 32) - Evolved him before catching Snorlax because he wasn't going to learn anything that fit my style as a Nidorino. Double type now, pretty balanced stats and still poisoning on contact. A very deadly mofo.
  • ChuPika the Pikachu (lv. 33) - Still holding off evolving her. She's been incredibly useful through Sylph S.A. and even managed to beat asshole rival's Pidgeot despite having a 5 lv. disadvantage plus being unevolved. Every Zubat and Golbat in Kanto shiver in fear when they hear her nickname.
  • PiroDoggo the Growlithe (lv. 31) - Bit to death every single Drowzee and Hypno in Sylph S.A. and learned Fire Wheel on top of it. His unevolved status is starting to show. I'm determined on evolving him before lv. 49 so he learns Extreme Speed, but can't remember if he has any worthwhile attack to learn in the meantime.
  • MsDriller the Fearow (lv. 31) - Acted as an assist through the whole TRash beating, the MO2 made her a powerhouse, but i'm still not satisfied with her moveset. Gotta explore those TMs.
  • Bulldozer the Snorlax (lv. 32) - The cheat code, the easy mode, getting this mofo in my team and teaching him Brick Break made Sylph S.A. easier, but not perfect, still had to hide him from a couple of Machokes and had some issues from asshole rival onwards. Fainted after admirably taking Giovanni's Nidoqueen head on.
Wait, where's Raflessio!? After falling victim of three consecutive explosions, i switched him for ElPreparao to take over the rest of Sylph S.A. Missed him agaisnt Giovanni's Ryhorn, but Blasto took care of that one in the end.

My objective for the weekend is mostly grinding and getting some TMs before taking care of the Saffron gym. I want to shift my team even further and i'm even contemplating adding Blasto to the rotation, replacing him with Ferryman the Lapras from time to time. One tank for another? Yeah, i mean... Lapras is even more of a tank than Blastoise. In any case, i want to switch him from time to time, Water Gun feels laughtably weak now, i could hear Giovanni laughting at me every time i use it agaisnt his critters and it made less damage than Bite.

Also, got the Psychic TM! Moonie, get ready, you're back into rotation!

Either Asassin's Creed Odyssey or Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Feeling the need of playing some relaxing open world. Back in the day, AC Origins was the only game i favorably compared to BotW - i used to call it Egypt BotW - and it is said that Odyssey is as good, if not better, than Origins so i started a save on my PS5. On the other side, it's high time i get back to TotK. Whatever i choose it'll be that one, and only that one, for the weekend.

F-Zero 99
Bite sized chunks of play for the afternoon. Just like Tetris 99, this'll be the game when i want my dose of healthy, bite sized stress. Yesterday i had a bad streak of not being able to finish mini cups, i need to get my shit together.

As for the side course, The Crew: Motorsport is out and has a 5 hour trial so i'll probably play it instead of Gran Turismo 7. I liked the open beta, it's more relaxed than Forza Horizon wich is something i sorely need. I had a very bad day yesterday.

Well I was finishing up the Teal Mask DLC but I ran into a game breaking glitch that prevents me from continuing the final challenge that hopefully gets patched out soon. Apparently a fairly common glitch as well from what I read online. So I started another playthrough of Link's Awakening despite the protests of my backlog.
it’s actually kinda hard to find impressions for the DLC. do we even have a thread here for it? how are you finding it? obviously a game breaking bug is a big issue, but aside from that?

Played some Wave Race 64 this morning. The last time I remember that game coming up here @Phosphorescent Skeleton referred to it as Nintendo’s “Sega game” and to this day it’s the most enlightened thing I’ve read on the site lol. Also, it’s still fantastic. Drake Lake Forever
I keep saying I'm the wise old woman of famiboards

Eternights. I have no idea if it will be good or not, but I'm giving it a chance. Reviews seem pretty solid overall.

I also want to give F-Zero 99 a shot. I'm not very good at F-Zero SNES, but I might like playing against actual people more.

I may also continue with Anonymous;Code. I have enjoyed it through the first 1 or 2 chapters, but it's not the highest on my priorities right now.

Lastly, I've been thinking about resuming an old playthrough of Pokemon Soul Silver. It's been a few years, but I have a Shiny Gloom on that cartridge, so there's no way I'm starting a new game.

Played some Wave Race 64 this morning. The last time I remember that game coming up here @Phosphorescent Skeleton referred to it as Nintendo’s “Sega game” and to this day it’s the most enlightened thing I’ve read on the site lol. Also, it’s still fantastic. Drake Lake Forever
those darn posts in the fog get me every time!

Well, I've been playing a lot of IKEA Building Simulator VR until just now and I have to say, it's an OK experience if you take it slowly, take breaks to readjust your circulation and get away from the madness of it all and hydrate a lot to make the heat more tolerable.

All joking aside, I think I'm gonna play some video games for the first time in close to a month tomorrow. Don't know what yet, but I might either continue with Rhapsody, play the demo for Dragon Quest Monsters 4 or take the plunge into Persona 5 Royal.

I bought a couple games yesterday

Vampire Survivors
Paranormasight
Shotgun King: The Final Checkmate
Trigger Witch

Addicted to Vampire Survivors

I'm stuck between wanting to finish Super Mario Bros. 3, Doom 2016, starting FF7Remake (well I technically restarted it already but I'm only like an hour in), and continuing Shin Megami Tensei IV (which I started a month or two ago and haven't played in a few weeks)

it’s actually kinda hard to find impressions for the DLC. do we even have a thread here for it? how are you finding it? obviously a game breaking bug is a big issue, but aside from that?
People are just using the Scarlet and Violet thread to discuss it. Depends on what your looking for in impressions. If it's performance then it's exactly like the base game was except that they made the boxes instantly load now instead of it taking awhile. Some say it's worse but I think it's just people not touching it for so long and are forgetting how it performed. Difficulty? There is a few hard trainers that are optional fights but if you bring in your main game team they aren't too hard but they aren't push overs. Story? It's got a good message but it's to be continued in the next DLC so I can't make a final verdict. Map design? The mountain was obviously their main focus. I initially got lost in the cave system first time I explored. Around the mountain is a lot more simpler but some cool locations.

Crossposting from general discussion, I played a lot of demos (and F-Zero 99)! and thoughts:
  • F-Zero 99: I never got into these games growing up, but this is really fun. Being able to end in higher ranks simply because a lot of other cars went kaboom is pretty funny. It also looks fantastic, simultaneously SNES-like sprites but in high def, if that makes any sense? Definitely gonna be playing more of it throughout the year.
  • Star Ocean: Never played this before. What a lovely PS1-ass JRPG. Will always have a soft spot for sprites traveling around in isometric 3D worlds. Still getting the hang of the battle system but it’s already pretty cool. It’s hard to get the dodge right! Loving the QoL features as well, the speed up really helps you get through the cutscenes. I really don’t need to be adding JRPGs to my to-play list but I think I’ll be buying this somewhere down the line.
  • Patrick’s Parabox: Devs keep coming up with cool and creative ideas for sokoban. The core premise of this game is deceptively simple— put the boxes in the correct spots, and sometimes the boxes are their own levels you can enter by shrinking yourself. You gotta think not only outside, but inside the box! Another one that elevated itself to a sure purchase down the line.
  • Silent Hope: So weird seeing the typical HM cows and the RF woolies on one game. I think the combat is rather slow and unengaging, and there doesn’t seem to be much benefit to swapping heroes aside from minor buffs. Choosing a hero should be more meaningful— for example, choosing the farmer means no one is tending the fields so your crops grow slower, but you’re more likely to find seeds in the abyss. And maybe the higher level a character is, the better they are at their HQ functions.
  • Gunbrella: The titular weapon is great fun. Feels smooth to dash around, and great idea to pair the dash with a bullet-reflect mechanic so you’re not always cowering behind your umbrella.
  • Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince: The least visually pleasant demo I played today, but man did I miss this franchise. Monster designs are still charming, and all the scouting and tournaments and fusions from DQM Joker is present here. Word of warning: your save file in the demo DOES NOT carry over to the full game, though you will keep the monster you’ve got.
  • Dave the Diver: utterly addicting gameplay loop where you harpoon fish and gather materials during the day, and help run a sushi restaurant by night. If the full game releases and there’s no notable bugs or anything, it’s an instant buy for me

Just started on Pokemon Violet DLC: The Teal Mask. Just standard Pokemon at the moment. Not sure how much I want to rush through the storyline or just enjoy the vibes. Since if I really want to rush through it, it is definitely easy to just steamroll everyone with overlevelled mons.

At the same time, started Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth. Having reached Chapter Three so far, I think that part of the requirements of enjoying this game is having background knowledge of the Lodoss War series. And without that knowledge, my enjoyment is at least halved. Gameplay wise, it is standard indie Metroidvania. Some interesting mechanics but nothing to shout about. Since I've already started, I'll try to see it to the end. It's supposed to be a short game after all.

I love this game
LENYRtz.gif

Back
Top Bottom