• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Whatcha Playin’ This Weekend, Fam? |6/30-7/2|

Red Monster

Professional Conversationalist
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
Happy weekend, folks! Sorry the thread is late. You know the drill by now. Have at it!

I’ll be lucky to play anything this weekend, but if I do, it’ll be Final Fantasy XVI. I hope I do get some gaming time, because I haven’t played anything since last weekend!

Playing through Crusader of Centy on NSO, carving my way through testimonies in Great Ace Attorney 2, trying to unlock everything in Into The Breach, and thinking about going for a weekend game (like Gato Roboto and A Short Hike, both of which have been sitting quietly in my SD card for a while now).

I’m completely busy Saturday so not much time for games this weekend. I’ve made excellent progress in Golden Sun The Lost Age these last two days so I imagine I’ll be most focused on that. I haven’t had much time and energy for Final Fantasy XVI unfortunately, but I’m hoping to dive back in probably on Sunday. I also got Rain Code today and I’m eager to check that out. Too many cool games, it’s awesome!

I was barreling through Road 96 before it left game pass and realized I would rather enjoy it. Plus the devs had earned my vote so I bought it!

That means, back to Zelda and my second half of the Pikmin 2 demo this weekend. Also some online coop RE5 as I work through a replay.

I played the demo to Ghost Trick and liked it but...then I played the Pikmin 4 demo and loved it. My only previous Pikmin experience was a GameCube demo of the first game at the store and young me didn't like it because of the Pikmin dying but I believe I will now be buying my first Pikmin game. Now I just want to play Pikmin 4 but I'll need to wait until launch which is preventing me to buy Ghost Trick now and finish it before Pikmin 4 because that's all I want to play lol.

Played some TotK to try and get the last four armor upgrades but since
the King gleeoks
seem to have been the only ones to drop guts I was only able to get one upgrade.
least I got the last of the sages wills by doing so.

Now I'll probably play the NSO games I've neglected due to TotK.

Hot and quiet here. FEWTH(9th chapter of my second route, Claude’s) is my main, FVIII is my second and Crusader of Centy is my evening game for the moment(probably waiting to start AI:SF)

I found myself back into Zelda TOTK...completing shrines, randomly finding koroks, and getting some armor.

Going to jump back in big time with Final Fantasy 16 tomorrow and Sunday though!

Gonna try and squeeze in another day or two (in game) of Persona 4 Golden, some Halo Infinite which I have fallen back in love with, and more Stardew Valley. And I'll happily try Super Mega Baseball 4 again once the patch hits the Switch version.

Im planning on finishing Metroid prime remastered and ghostwire tokyo this weekend, im near the end on both and enjoyed ghostwire a lot more than i thought i would.

Have gone back to MMBN2 in the Legacy Collection.

Also finally decided to make a start on Bloodborne yesterday. Currently in Old Yharnam.

I am playing many games simultaneously:
  • Kirby and The Forgotten Land: I am at the final boss , so I will finish it today for sure
  • Pikmin 4 Demo: started it yesterday and I like what I have seen! I will finish it today or tomorrow
  • Ghost Trick: really loved the original back on DS and I have not played it since then, so I have forgotten a lot of it and really looking forward to re-discover the game
  • AI: The Somnium Files – Nirvana Initiative (I just had to Google the full name :ROFLMAO:) I have played just about 4-5 hours, I am slowly making progress. Usually I don't have enough time during the week to play a lot.
Let's see how much I progress this weekend!

It's an EIGHTH consecutive weekend of Tears of the Kingdom.

Yesterday I was on the south coast, doing sidequests, and I've got more side quests and shrines marked out for me to find before I gradually loop back to a main quest location. Probably the penultimate weekend of playing for me - I wanted all shrines and lightroots done, all geoglyphs found, various side adventures completed, all sky islands explored, all main quests complete, before I headed for the endgame and I'm fairly far along that road as I head to 160 hours played.

No doubt I've missed a bunch of caves and wells, and there'll be somewhere around a couple of dozen sidequests which I'll save for a time I return to the game.

Not that I expect to finish this weekend, but there's a possibility this is the last time I tell this weekly thread that I'm spending my weekend on Tears of the Kingdom.

I’m going to keep digging into Triangle Strategy. It follows the thus far unbreakable Team Asano edict: great game, dumb name. It really lets its characters shine right away, and that pays off majorly: by the time you’re knee deep in proper nouns and politicking, it’s genuinely exciting because you’ve had the time to steep in it first. It makes latching onto the rest so much easier. On Chapter 4 of that now.

Continuing my Mario survey. So far I played maybe half of 1 & 2. I finished 3, World and 64. Right now I’m part way through Sunshine. Aesthetically it’s one of my favourite Mario games. Using the water pack is often super fun. It’s also kind of a mess and has a lot of bullshitty shines. The long jump and backflip are always very missed by me whenever I play this game, despite FLUDD.

Playing Ghost Trick on my phone so I’ll probably squeak some of that in too.

I'm pretty low energy this week, i don't think i'll play anything remotely demanding. This heat is debilitating, ffs.

My plans for now are:

Tears of the Kingdom: I'm a quest for the search of all the geoglyphs and activating all the towers at the same time, it's fun and relaxing and allows me to explore the sky islands at the same time. Doing every shrine i find and avoiding combat for now, unless i'm in need for materials.

Euro Truck Simulator 2: It's back! With a vengeance! No, seriously, when i think about relaxing, low effort games this is the first one i can think of, just pick some easy, low reward deliveries and get on the road, i have no objective in mind yet, just relaxing.

Journey: I've had this one downloaded in my PS4 since the pandemic and never got to even launch it. It's time to change that. If it's as short as Abzu i may even tackle it this evening.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: The HD trilogy runs on my sis' old laptop so i may just lazily replay the first entry, i'm in the mood for that.

Going to deep dive into Final Fantasy XVI tonight after getting in 4-5 hours in last weekend.

I already bought Master Detective: Rain Code so will start that today as well. I'll buy and play Ghost Trick once I'm done with this game, since it's a 10/10 and still possibly my favourite game on the DS.

Will also put more time into Street Fighter 6 online and World Tour.

Just beat Revenge of Shinobi (via Switch Online service), which I haven't played in many years, game still kicks arse and Yuzo Koshiro's soundtrack still sounds fresh all these years later. I might give Crusader of Centy a shot too, never actually played it before.

I also beat Tobal 2 via emulation (fan translation) last night and it's a really solid 3D fighting game that's Japan exclusive from the time when every game published by Squaresoft was well worth playing.
Kinda tempted to try out Racing Lagoon next which got a fan translation in the past year or so and is another Squaresoft hidden gem waiting to be discovered.

I've also done some more missions last night in Dragon Marked for Death and really enjoying that game.

Once again, all Switch gaming for me this weekend! Will be playing a mix of

AEW: Fight Forever
TotK
Sonic Origins Plus

Finally the short June drought on Switch for me ended with a slew of brand new games! Currently progressing veeeery slowly on FF16. on Switch started Lara Croft (alone, obviously), AEW Fight Forever, SoS A Wonderful Life (looks so good on OLED screen). Downloaded but haven't yet started: Rain Code and Enclave HD.

Still Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I've finally hit the part of the story where things go hard. I assume here's the part of the game where others say 'it gets good'.

The early parts of the game have been kinda... mid for me. It's a combination of not fully understanding the combat system and post-TOTK blues. The alien landscape vistas and soundtrack were amazing, the waifus top tier but I'm just not fully into it. It was only when I reached the part of the story where you faced off against Jin. He's a very compelling villain that had me 'yeah YEAH YOU ARE RIGHT'. And what he did in the next chapter, ooooo, I hate him for that. Love to hate him and hate to love him. Now, I just want to keep going so that I can defeat him proper and get Homura back.

So yeah. XC2 is not going to be winning any game of the year for me but... I'm going to try and make it all the way. My estimation is... probably two more weeks of playing? Then I'll go catch a stream of what happens in the Torna Country DLC.

I finished all of the individual chapters and crossed paths for Octopath Traveler II about a week ago. I played and finished Metroid Fusion and Super Fantasy Zone in the meantime and am now feeling ready to finish up this game!

I want to grab a couple secret jobs I missed earlier and get a couple stragglers levelled up just a bit more for now.

Been craving a fantasy experience ever since I finished Zelda. Finally opted to pick up FF7 for switch yesterday. I’ve played the remake and there are a few story beats I know about but I’m enjoying the game a lot so far.

The QoL improvements are nice and remove some of the tedium from the experience.

Been craving a fantasy experience ever since I finished Zelda. Finally opted to pick up FF7 for switch yesterday. I’ve played the remake and there are a few story beats I know about but I’m enjoying the game a lot so far.

The QoL improvements are nice and remove some of the tedium from the experience.
I’ve tried to play the OG FF7 many times and never got further than Junon. This last time I made it to the Gold Saucer, so it was my best attempt yet. That’s thanks to the QOL features, but I actually blame those same features as the reason why I dropped the game again. It was hard to feel invested when I was just using speed up and invincibility modes all the time, but at the same time, I couldn’t make myself not use them because they were so convenient and easy to use. One day I’ll play the whole game!

Visiting family on a 4 day weekend but I’m hoping to get to a point in TotK where I can park it for a bit (I think I’m finally about to get off the tutorial island) and focus on wrapping up Live A Live with the good ending + true ending that was added for the remake. Also Pikmin 4 demo.

I have a handful of other games in the pack if I want to dig something else out like Katamari Damacy Reroll if I need a change of scenery but I don’t think that’s going to be necessary.

Kinda tempted to try out Racing Lagoon next which got a fan translation in the past year or so and is another Squaresoft hidden gem waiting to be discovered.
The OST for that is sublime. Definitely check it out even if you don’t give the actual game a go.

After wrapping up Tears of the Kingdom last weekend I wanted something much shorter - had gotten in the physical of the FF Pixel Remasters recently and have never played a single game in the series, so I jumped into 1. Just finished it and wow I absolutely loved it! Kicking myself for not getting into this series prior to now.

I’m pretty confident the quality of life features like auto battle, turning off random encounters on a whim, the dungeon maps being so readily available etc are what made this experience click for me, along with the incredible soundtrack, because there wasn’t anything vastly different in here, but man it just really exceeded my expectations. Debating jumping straight into 2 now or grabbing something else out of the backlog to prevent burnout from the same genre.

FFXVI this weekend for me. If I can manage to wrap the storyline up, I may just get the game I've had my eyes on recently. I'm not sure if it's called Yakuza or like a dragon but it's the one with a party and persona-esque turn based combat.

Debating jumping straight into 2 now or grabbing something else out of the backlog to prevent burnout from the same genre.
Just be aware that 2 is mechanically very different from the rest of the series. It’s absolutely worth giving a try because of that. But don’t feel like it’s representative of the evolution of the series if you bounce off it.

However! If you do find you like some of the mechanics, you should take a look at SaGa which is the series’ harder and more opaque sibling series that the FF2 designer started when Square wanted to onto the Game Boy.

Just be aware that 2 is mechanically very different from the rest of the series. It’s absolutely worth giving a try because of that. But don’t feel like it’s representative of the evolution of the series if you bounce off it.

However! If you do find you like some of the mechanics, you should take a look at SaGa which is the series’ harder and more opaque sibling series that the FF2 designer started when Square wanted to onto the Game Boy.
Good to know! SaGa is another series I have no experience in so I’ll keep that in mind after going through FF2!

I’ve tried to play the OG FF7 many times and never got further than Junon. This last time I made it to the Gold Saucer, so it was my best attempt yet. That’s thanks to the QOL features, but I actually blame those same features as the reason why I dropped the game again. It was hard to feel invested when I was just using speed up and invincibility modes all the time, but at the same time, I couldn’t make myself not use them because they were so convenient and easy to use. One day I’ll play the whole game!
I think it's worth playing through, and I agree- the pace is easy enough as it is, enjoy it for what it's for. But I'm biased- played it at release.

It's an EIGHTH consecutive weekend of Tears of the Kingdom.
🪩
Me too friend.

Also finally decided to make a start on Bloodborne yesterday. Currently in Old Yharnam.
iu

The greatest, the greatest. I guess for me personally I think of it as the best 3D Castlevania Lovecraft crossover we could never receive- a flawless masterpiece. And the "hit to regain life in a temporary time span" mechanic is SUBLIME combined with the dash speed.

Go for the harder ending involving fated cords, it's fucking WORTH IT.

1. Bloodborne
2. Elden Ring / Sekiro
3. Dark Souls

🤓

Be safe out there hunter!

Back
Top Bottom