• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Whatcha Playin’ This Weekend, Fam? |5/24-5/27| The Start of Summer

Red Monster

Professional Conversationalist
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
It’s Friday! And for US Fami, it’s Memorial Day weekend: the unofficial start of summer, and a three day weekend. Cookouts, parades, swimming pools, brewskis, rah rah America, and video games. Let’s go!

——————

Most of my gaming time this weekend will be spent with Grand Theft Auto Vice City. I’m continuing my journey through the GTA series in preparation for GTA VI. I’ve been looking forward to this one for a while. And that’s kinda it; I have no solid plans for any other games. If I play anything else, it’ll be something retro that catches my eye like usual.

For the holiday, we’ve got a couple cookouts to go to, which should be fun. There’s a parade on Monday that we usually go to, so maybe we’ll take the kids up there so they can see the fire trucks and stuff. Kids love that kinda thing. Mostly, I’m hoping for a good dose of R&R.

——————

Here’s to the weekend thread, and here’s to great times and great games for everyone. Stay safe out there, and have a fantastic weekend everybody!

Having finished Persona 5 last weekend and having dabbled in some random stuff like Mario Kart and F-Zero 99, I have moved on to playing the Thousand Year Door. I'll probably just stick with it until I'm done - should last me...a month? Maybe a little more?

I was gifted Rise of the Ronin because I am a Team Ninja enjoyer and I finally have a PS5 now. Seems fun and will probably take up most of my time.

Still also checking out a lot of indie stuff this weekend too, there's a handful of free/cheap/demoes etc to dig through. Shout outs to Chambers: The Outlaw. It amused me quite a bit last night. Curious how that full game is gonna end up.

Last week I said I'd be playing FFVII Remake, but on fact I kept playing Animal Well. This time I will not even pretend otherwise, and just admit I'm trying to find the rest of the eggs in Animal Well and then return to Final Fantasy.

I am somewhat tempted by Paper Mario TTYD, but maybe that'll be my next big game after FF and I don't need it yet.

Lately I've been motivated with Shining Force II on NSO, been progressing fairly quickly. It's a fun game! I think I'll dedicate most of my gametime to it this weekend.

I may also throw a run of Hades in there. Still trying to maximize bonds with all characters which is a fairly long task to complete, so I only play ocasionally, like 1 run per week or so. Somehow my muscle memory for the game is mantained though so I can do complete runs even after breaks!

I’m gonna buckle up and get ready to take down what I think is the final boss in Another Crab’s Treasure. It is probably my favorite spin on the Souls-like, at least in my limited experience with the genre.

I’m also planning to continue Wintermoor Tactics Club and Vaporum. And now that I think about it I also need to get back to Pokemon Crystal Legacy. A few games from the backlog are also catching my eye, like A Short Hike, Signalis and Inscryption. So many games, so little time!

It's not a long weekend for me as I'm choosing to work on Memorial Day this year, but hopefully it's quiet enough...

Anyway, WeekendFami! I plan to finally finish Tales of Kenzera Zau (Switch) by tomorrow hopefully. I'm over halfway in the game and on Act III, it's still a very by the numbers metroidvania game but it's sound and the African environments along with the narrative and characters are still the main draw here.

After that....I'm not entirely sure. Hi-Fi Rush? Finish Sonic Frontiers Final Horizon DLC? Finally start The Last of Us 2?

Last edited:
Hopefully Paper Mario, but that is going to depend on the delivery person. If not I'm chilling out with the quintesential quintuplets vn

Been in a reading mood more than a gaming mood lately but if i end up playing anything this WE that would be TTYD.

I'm playing Yakuza: Like a Dragon and that's gonna be my game for the weekend (and the coming month/s)

Definitely Picross S+ and starting Paper Mario. I'll probably play some other stuff but not sure. I have a craving to play a bunch of classics soon but not sure if that will be this weekend as I have overtime this weekend and not a lot of free time.

I am again continuing my first replay of Dragon Quest XI S. I just got my fifth orb and hopefully I finish Act I this weekend.

I'm replaying Xenoblade Chronicles 2. It's one of my favorite games of all time, and the first time I'm replaying it in like 5 years,

I'm all in on Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door this weekend. It has everything I liked about PM64 and more. Backlog stuff is fine, but it's great to have something new (well, new to me at least)!

uld5j4e.gif

Rebirth continues on! There is so much stuff in this game that it's flabbergasting and a little bit daunting at the same time, but I'm very much enjoying it.

Playing Thousand-Year Door for the first time in 20 years as well.

TTYD will have the majority of my focus to celebrate its release, but I'll no doubt spend some time on my usual suspects of Helldivers (2) and Palia as well!

Three day weekend in the UK as well!

My main game this weekend is Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door on Switch, played this a bit before on GC but never beat it so I’m looking forward to plugging away at it and getting to see it to its conclusion.

Outside of gaming, excited for tomorrow as me and a pal are off to see the Back to the Future musical in London! Wanted to see this for ages so will be a nice day out.

Have a great one Fami

Probably finishing Star Ocean The Second Story R. I'm pretty sure I'm near the end of the game after 21 hours.

Not sure what I'll be starting next. Paper Mario has joined The Pile, but I might start Unicorn Overlord.

Paper Mario, baby. And Rise of the Ronin is showing up today, I'll start on that but it's gonna be my one to plug away on PS5 probably until Assassin's Creed (what can I say, I like samurai stuff).

Might squeeze in some Into the Breach as well. Recently got back in to it, played it all last weekend.

25 hrs into Dragon’s dogma 2. I am free of headaches for a few days. I’ve been sinking some good amount of time into it and loving it. I won’t start TTYD until I finish it.

finished both games I'd been playing earlier in the week (Lorelei & Death Stranding, both bangers) so maybe nothing? maybe starting Metal Gear Solid? who's to say.
I am not allowing myself to get TTYD until I'll have more time to sit with it but it looks excellent, glad to hear folks loving it so far

I’m playing three games this weekend. First up is the final weekend of Love Live School Idol Festival 2 as the game shuts down forever in six days. Going to miss it a ton. Aside from reading the song blurbs / trivia I haven’t yet, I have no goals left except play my favorite songs. My main game this weekend is an old GameCube game…Star Fox Adventures! No really, it’s the last one I have that I never beat. I had bought a used copy back in the day and I had played for 30 mins before my memory card got corrupted. Two years ago I found one that worked still and since I finished my GameCube replay project back in December I’ve felt both safe and ready to go here for a while. I had a bit of a scare last night when the game crashed during the first boss fight, but it’s otherwise working so far. I’m 39% in and while I had heard the comparisons prior I had no idea exactly how much this game pulls from Ocarina of Time lol. The camera, falling down holes, climbing up vines etc. is all pulled straight from Zelda. While combat is too simple, the puzzles have been great fun and have broken the Zelda mold in a lot in fun ways. Eager to keep going there and maybe try to beat it before the weekend ends. My third game is Paper Mario TTYD of course as the Fami hype got to me haha. I just replayed it two years ago, so it won’t be a priority until Star Fox is done. I played less than 20 mins yesterday before realizing I was too tired, so I don’t have really any opinions yet.

I'm probably playing nothing, maybe some Planet Zoo on my PC. I finished Hades and Animal Well in the last few days, so nothing in particular is calling to me on the Switch. I'm waiting for my copy of Xenoblade Chronicles DE to come in the mail but that won't be until Tuesday at the earliest.

I'm probably playing nothing as well.
Funny thing is I stop spending money on Switch since Super Mario Wonder.
TTYD is supposed to hit me in spot back in time but I feel nothing, same as Super Mario RPG.

I am thinking buying a PS5 Slim though, just to play Sekiro again.
But I know myself well enough.
For a game like Sekiro that I finished a couple times before, I will just play less than 1 hours & passion fades away.
The current PS5 line-ups disappoint me, which is the reason why I sold my OG PS5 last year.
So probably not buying the Slim nor playing any game this weekend.

Slow time for gaming indeed.

I've been trying to start TTYD two days in a row now, but man it's way too talkative for me to get started for real :p
I'm sure I will be better very soon but being constantly in different dialogues when I'm tired really doesnt help me get going with a game

Makes me appreciate Sakurai's comments on not wasting the players time, even for a second - I'm kind of happy games are moving away from being talky in the early stages of the games at the very least.

But with 2 out of 5 family members away on things this weekend I will get some proper gaming time in and will get the show going with TTYD to.

SMT V is starting to get its hooks on me. It also hurts me that some of my favorite demons such as Idun and Black Frost are mid-game demons which will be difficult to bring all the way to the end. At this rate, the temptation to get SMT V:V is actually really high.

Last edited:
I already spent a significant chunk of my Friday playing my new copy of Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, and I see most of my weekend continuing in that direction. I'll of course be doing my daily puzzles in stitch., and I might play more of the Kanto Expansion Pak if I'm not totally subsumed by TTYD.

Zelda! Anniversary TotK playthrough and a new Twilight Princess file.

I know that there's a ton of great games waiting for me in the backlog but this week just has me feeling drained in a way so that I don't want to process anything new, and instead dig down in something comforting and familiar.

By the way @Red Monster how come it's "this weekend, Fam?" and not "this weekend, Fami?"

Wuthering Waves won't let me log in so uuuhhh I'll try again later and if it doesn't work it's another Balatro Fantasy Rebirth weekend

Warriors Orochi 4U, and megaton Musashi. Maybe something else sprinkled in. Don’t have a set rpg at the moment. I was messing with ryza tho I’m tempted to start hack gu v1

I finished Sea of Stars on Wednesday, so this weekend I can be all in on Paper Mario TTYD. I never beat the game back in the day, the final boss was just too much of a difficulty spike for me. But I'd like to think I'm better at video games these days so hopefully I'll be able to finish it this time!

I’m playing three games this weekend. First up is the final weekend of Love Live School Idol Festival 2 as the game shuts down forever in six days. Going to miss it a ton. Aside from reading the song blurbs / trivia I haven’t yet, I have no goals left except play my favorite songs. My main game this weekend is an old GameCube game…Star Fox Adventures! No really, it’s the last one I have that I never beat. I had bought a used copy back in the day and I had played for 30 mins before my memory card got corrupted. Two years ago I found one that worked still and since I finished my GameCube replay project back in December I’ve felt both safe and ready to go here for a while. I had a bit of a scare last night when the game crashed during the first boss fight, but it’s otherwise working so far. I’m 39% in and while I had heard the comparisons prior I had no idea exactly how much this game pulls from Ocarina of Time lol. The camera, falling down holes, climbing up vines etc. is all pulled straight from Zelda. While combat is too simple, the puzzles have been great fun and have broken the Zelda mold in a lot in fun ways. Eager to keep going there and maybe try to beat it before the weekend ends. My third game is Paper Mario TTYD of course as the Fami hype got to me haha. I just replayed it two years ago, so it won’t be a priority until Star Fox is done. I played less than 20 mins yesterday before realizing I was too tired, so I don’t have really any opinions yet.
I actually love Star Fox Adventures, I remember being really impressed by the fur rendering technology. I did always dislike the over the top "item get" animation, like Fox absolutely loses his shit when he gets the most basic of items. I also remember the back half of the game feeling a little unfinished, but I still really enjoyed it.

I finished Sea of Stars on Wednesday, so this weekend I can be all in on Paper Mario TTYD. I never beat the game back in the day, the final boss was just too much of a difficulty spike for me. But I'd like to think I'm better at video games these days so hopefully I'll be able to finish it this time!

I actually love Star Fox Adventures, I remember being really impressed by the fur rendering technology. I did always dislike the over the top "item get" animation, like Fox absolutely loses his shit when he gets the most basic of items. I also remember the back half of the game feeling a little unfinished, but I still really enjoyed it.
It is very funny(?) when you get an item in a cutscene and it’ll tell you what it is and then it still does the “item get” Zelda animation lol. Other times too Fox will be disgruntled sometimes he got an item in the cutscene, but then still be thrilled when he actually picks it up with the Zelda animation. It’s very goofy haha.

Putting aside Hades II and Another Crab's Treasure for Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (Switch).

Mixing in some Final Fantasy XIV (PS5) too, mostly farming the mogtomes for the current moogle hunt and doing some relic weapon stuff on the side.

Finished Eastward recently, which means I cleared my backlog of indie games I purchased all at once like a year or two ago lol. Of course I have other great indies I want to get now, but will wait on sales and get them one at a time now.

Right now I’m going back to The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles. Finished both the last case of the first game and the first case of the second game. Also getting back into FFVII Rebirth - just got to the start of chapter 10.

I started TTYD. About 2 hours in and so far it's really good. The only other Paper Mario I've played is the N64 one as a kid, so it's almost a "New Pokemon Snap" kind of feeling finally playing a sequel to one of my favorite childhood games after all this time

They put out a Boss Challenge mode in a Stellar Blade patch and that distracted me. I've done 0 damage hard mode on everything but the last 3 bosses now though! Those last ones are a massive difficulty spike though so uhhh I'm kinda cooked unless I wanna pull out the cheap shit.

Finished Star Ocean 2 yesterday (really enjoyed it) and then started my Super Mario 3D World playthrough. Might start Unicorn Overlord today seeing as that's likely a lengthy one and I told myself I wouldn't go back to Baldur's Gate 3 until I'd completed Unicorn Overlord.

Whoa, I was so busy finally playing Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door that I forgot to post in this thread!

Anyway, I just arrived in chapter 3 and I'm having a banger time. Ever since I played Paper Mario 64 for the first time on Wii U VC I wanted to try this one as well, and now it's finally here. Special standouts so far are the music (the different variations of the main battle theme per chapter have all been top notch so far), and the badge system has a lot of options and depth.

Ended up just playing Akuma in SF6 all weekend, didn't have much time left for anything else. Very fun character.

As the weekend is winding down here (I don't wanna get back to work!), I have avoided the depressing AI thread and made progress in SMTV. At this rate, I should be able to finish before the launch of SMTV:V. I'm probably going to be aiming for the True Neutral Route. Yes, I've already spoilt myself somewhat.

It is difficult. Very difficult. I think the last Weekend thread, I said something like 'P5 is groovin' but SMTV is suffering'. I must have 'Game Over' from mobs more times than I care to count. Mistakes can be very very punishing, especially when the last time I saved was an hour or two ago. Normally, I wouldn't like this kind of difficulty but... I do like my JRPGs.

8c616ca8b413f434b4e5d0088a360eee6622c14c.jpg

Idun is the cheery summer girl that ended up hanging out with the gloomy goth gang.

And at this point of time, I'm probably giving up on taking Alice to the end game. She's powerful but at some point, she probably can't keep up with everyone else on levels. I hate to admit it but same will go to Black Frost. I'm determined to try and bring Idun to the endgame though. Prepared to give ALL my grimoires and incenses to her just to keep her viable!

Back
Top Bottom