• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Whatcha Playin’ This Weekend, Fam? |5/10-5/12|

Red Monster

Professional Conversationalist
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
We made it, folks. We got through this week, which featured plenty of Fami server issues, bad news for Xbox, and the confirmation of the Switch successor from Nintendo themselves. Now is our time to finally relax, and breathe a sigh of relief. Time for rest. Time for Mother’s Day, if you live in the US. Time for your birthday this Sunday, if you’re me. Time for video games.

——————

If I manage to play anything, it’ll be a miracle, based on how the last few weeks have gone for me gaming-wise. I have no real solid plans. Maybe I’ll get back to Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, maybe not. Maybe I’ll finish SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake, maybe not. I might start Animal Well. I’ll definitely play some Pokemon Yellow Legacy. Whatever happens, happens. I’m just happy for the time off.

——————

Happy Mother’s Day to all those American moms out there. Have a great weekend, pals.

After a tough week with no video games in sight, I’m back with some Final Fantasy VII Rebirth! Just got to Chapter 3 and I am officially loving it at this point. Excited to dig in more over the weekend.

4p1Bwgl.gif

I’ll also be squeezing in some Crow Country. I played the demo last night and bought the whole enchilada right after. You got your eye on this one, @afternoon delight ?

JS1RQZy.gif

Over on the Switch, I’m continuing my MGS series replay and checking out that big Balatro update.

and the confirmation of the Switch successor from Nintendo themselves. Now is our time to finally relax, and breathe a sigh of relief.
iu

Basking in the afterglow of the Switch 2 timeline confirmation, I'm continuing my mecha mercenary fantasy / odyssey in Armored Core VI- and I might be spending more time in the AC Assembly phase than the actual mission engagements right now. :lol Jetting around feels so glorious and speedy, all of the weapons feel kinetic and fun- I'm in mech heaven!

giphy.gif

Always trust in FROM.

I’ll also be squeezing in some Crow Country. I played the demo last night and bought the whole enchilada right after. You got your eye on this one, @afternoon delight ?
You know it! Looks like one of those demos you'd receive with a Playstation magazine, and I mean that in the best way- I've been watching its positive reception grow for sure. Speaking of the genre, this week a preview emerged from another independent approximation of Playstation survival horror and I'm immediately paying attention-

Happy birthday you big Red Monster! 🎉

I'm gonna keep playing Shining Force II, I'm sure I have a shitton left still. If I feel like it maybe some Pokémon Black 2 as well.

Still plugging away Persona 3 and Oracle of Seasons. Destiny 2 just made the past years seasons free to everyone (normally you have $10 for each). So I'm playing a bit of that to collect some items I didn't get previously.

I also bought Ghostwire: Tokyo this week (yeah, unfortunate timing). Been meaning to pick it up and it was $15 on PSN.

Still on Fallout New Vegas (Series S), I've beat Honest Hearts and Old World Blues, currently doing Dead Money. Once I've done that and then Lonesome Road, I'll go back and wrap up the main story.

Exploring The Overgrowth in Rebel Transmute (Steam Deck). Was expecting more of a Metroid style game given the graphics and obvious inspiration but it's more Hollow Knight. Which is fine, just tougher than I expected.

I'll also be looking to get some more time in Hades 2 (Steam Deck). I've made it to the second area, but am dying there. Nothing a little meta-progression won't fix, I'm sure.

I'll keep with Stellar Blade. Finally reached the desert zone and there are a lot of sidequests to do (and the previous boss fight before that zone was amazing).

I'll also be tackling animal well, managed to play 2 hours yesterday but those were 2 fantastic hours

Still on Fallout New Vegas (Series S), I've beat Honest Hearts and Old World Blues, currently doing Dead Money. Once I've done that and then Lonesome Road, I'll go back and wrap up the main story.
The driving "enemy" of Old War Blues-
the amalgamation of forgotten AI's-
remain some of my favorite quest interactions of all time- that and the very oddly satisfying feeling of re-powering your little MT hub, it all just glows and hums so pleasantly.

More Dragon's Dogma 2. I'm enjoying this like I imagine other people enjoy GTA or Skyrim (or BotW). The way the different enemies and classes/abilities and environments all mesh into myriad and varied encounters is tremendously engaging, even though -- like the first game -- the storytelling is weak and game balance is kind of a mess.

Last edited:
Have a great birthday @Red Monster

Gaming wise, got nothing currently playing so it’s time to start something new, which in my case will be something old as I’m thinking of starting Binary Domain on Steam Deck as I’ve never played it before.

Outside of that, probably have a run or 2 on Vampire Survivors on Switch, new DLC is out so I may purchase that and see what’s what.

Have a great weekend Fami!

Musashi wired, Ryza 1, and Kamiwaza(tho I need some guidance DX).
Oh and some Jedi starfighter

After a whirlwind week or so in which I completed Prince of Persia, Mario Galaxy and the Fall of Elena Temple, I'm going to concentrate on Star Ocean The Second Story R. It's been a typically slow JRPG start, but I've just met a charismatic lass who has a sidequest and is going to introduce me to the guild system, which is always a promising development.

Little Kitty, Big City and some Xenoblade 2 (Chapter 7)
I would like to make Xenoblade 3 before the next Switch.

Funnily enough I've been reading more books as of late, so it's gonna be a light gaming weekend. Mostly busywork in League and FFXIV to get caught up on MSQ before Dawntrail drops.

Next week is gonna be wild though, season 4 of Diablo 4 drops in the beginning of my week and I'm ready for that to consume my life again.

Been replaying Arkane’s Prey in honor of this weeks news. This is a game I feel like I’d enjoy replaying more but I really don’t like the opening crawl, which doesn’t even last that long. I do really like how much you’re left to your own devices after getting the propulsion system and neuromod fabrication license though. Only being choked a little by having to unlock the 5 airlocks.

Also playing Shin Megami Tensei V in anticipation for Vengeance. I got all the way to the 3 keys fights at release and then only came back to it now after a 2 year hiatus. Surprisingly easy to get back into. Now just wrapping up the side quests and trying to get the last few special fusions.

On Sunday with my friend we plan to start Army of Two on the 360. We usually just take turns playing a game so it’ll be a little more fun to play together.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap and Hotshot Racing.
Hotshot is really fun even with the aggressive rubberband ai.
Wonder Boy is completely archaic in everything. And I mean the bad type of archaic. Bad level design, awful hitboxes, terrible platforming. I know the original is an 8-bit classic, but in 2024 it plays really bad.

For the first time in a while, I actually have plans to play something this weekend. I have a few more runs to get through in Hades to get to the end. But I also picked up Animal Well today and might dig into that a little bit more. We'll see!

Been playing through HeartGold on my old DS, hoping to finish that up this weekend and finally start the Dark Souls Trilogy.
Have fun! The Dark Souls trilogy is absolutely delightful. I basically memorized the entirety of Dark Souls 1, Dark Souls 2 does a lot of weird interesting stuff, and Dark Souls 3 is a good straightforward sequel to Dark Souls 1.

At least tonight and tomorrow I'm going to check out Marvel Rivals on Steam, somehow I was lucky enough to get into the Closed Alpha. Hope it's fun!

But also will find time to continue Tales of Kenzera Zau on the Switch. Got to Act 2 yesterday, probably going to put even more time into it and knock it out this upcoming week. Going for 100% which doesn't seem so tedious so far.

As a Metroidvania it's pretty straightforward but sound. The narrative though is definitely keeping me invested. Grief...

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap and Hotshot Racing.
Hotshot is really fun even with the aggressive rubberband ai.
Wonder Boy is completely archaic in everything. And I mean the bad type of archaic. Bad level design, awful hitboxes, terrible platforming. I know the original is an 8-bit classic, but in 2024 it plays really bad.
Hotshot Racing is great! The rubber banding is obnoxious, but it makes for excellent racing and photo finishes so I can’t complain about it too much. I squeezed everything I could out of that game and had a great time. Glad to see you enjoying it!

Probably gonna wrap up Stellar Blade tonight. Got into it kinda reluctantly because I thought the combat seemed to have some good ideas, but I've been pretty blown away by how good of an action game it gets to. Game is legitimately great with some rough edges here and there. Damn shame Eve has to look like that, because all the discourse and chuds have buried the lead on another strong reinterpretation of something like Sekiro. She even stands out as weird and over the top compared to the rest of the art in the game, it makes no fucking sense.

After that I feel like I should probably grab something from the recent indie deluge. 1000xRESIST seems the most interesting to me so maybe that one. Crab Souls is something I keep getting told to try, but I watched like 2-3 hours of it and that seems like not what I want at the moment.

Got to finish Animal Well first and get that true, true ending. Then I'll probably be pre-occupied with life, so probably just a little Pokemon.

and finally start the Dark Souls Trilogy.
iu

Have fun, play with as little guides as possible (imo) unless you're absolutely positively confused on how to progress, and enjoy your time beside the bonfires! I still think the first might be the best, but the third really features some incredible combat and levels.

Naturally you should then play Elden Ring after the trilogy. 😂

I don't know what I want to play, but something on my Switch. Does anyone have any suggestions? Games I have to finish at the moment are Mario 3D All-Stars, Pikmin 4, Splatoon 3 (story mode), and Cadence of Hyrule. I've been thinking about Mario Odyssey and BOTW, but I have finished them, I just want to 100% them.

I'm continuing Prey 2017, I think I'm almost at the end, it's an incredibly frustrating game in that at times it feels like one of the best games I've ever played and at other times I get absolutely annoyed by it lol. The combat in the game is just weird, I've seen a lot of comments online that are like ACTUALLY THE COMBAT IS SUPER EASY IF YOU PREPARE AND USE THE ENEMIES WEAKNESS and that hasn't been my experience at all, even using the right weaknesses enemies often just take a ton of abilities or ammo and when your abilities have long cool downs .... it's not exactly a hard game either but its very trial and error save scummy and when there's tons of mini bosses everywhere it gets old. Also even though it's not Prime levels of bad, it's interesting to see a game that does a lot of things right and still doesn't feel good to backtrack in - there's an elevator you can use to get to a lot of places and you can move pretty quickly but it still doesn't feel fun going through so many loading screens through areas that feel disconnected.

Heyyy have a great birthday weekend @Red Monster, you deserve it!

It's already Saturday for me and I miraculously only have a couple of chores to attend to, so after those I'm hunkering down in front of my PC and playing Another Crab's Treasure. Turns out a great way to hook me to a Souls-like is to marry it to a cartoony 3D platformer!

Tomorrow I'll probably continue my Thimbleweed Park playthrough since I have to go to work. It's a nifty little point and click.

I don't know what I want to play, but something on my Switch. Does anyone have any suggestions? Games I have to finish at the moment are Mario 3D All-Stars, Pikmin 4, Splatoon 3 (story mode), and Cadence of Hyrule. I've been thinking about Mario Odyssey and BOTW, but I have finished them, I just want to 100% them.
If you ask me, you should play Mario 64. It’s my favorite game of all time!

Or else play Cadence .

Juggling three games currently and will be sticking with those. There’s 20 days left for Love Live School Idol Festival 2 so I’ll be chipping away at the 100 or so Master tracks I have left. Think I comfortably made the top 1,000 players for the Star Challenge so that was cool. I’m also continuing Endless Ocean Luminous. I’ve explored 50% of my first solo dive so far and saw my first whale shark yesterday which was cool. Hoping to complete it and check out the event map if possible. My big game is Stellar Blade which largely rules. Having a great time fighting big monsters and knocking out side quests. About to head to Matrix 11 for the first time when I finish revisiting Eidos. Also, it only took twelve Nano Suits, but I finally got a good, not trashy outfit for Eve lol.

More Pokemon Emerald. Finished the main campaign this week, so now I'm going to mess around with the post game a bit and catch all the legendaries. I'd like to trade everything up to Gen 9 eventually, but it'll be cool to get some unique ribbons first.

iu

Have fun, play with as little guides as possible (imo) unless you're absolutely positively confused on how to progress, and enjoy your time beside the bonfires! I still think the first might be the best, but the third really features some incredible combat and levels.

Naturally you should then play Elden Ring after the trilogy. 😂
I'm actually trying to beat all three (plus DLC) before Shadow of the Erdtree releases, ironically enough these are the last 3 Soulsborne games I have to beat lol.

I'm actually trying to beat all three (plus DLC) before Shadow of the Erdtree releases, ironically enough these are the last 3 Soulsborne games I have to beat lol.
They'll be a lot easier by comparison now that you've played harder games in the series. But Dark Souls 1 is a masterclass in intertwined level design, and the DkS2 DLC is honestly the best the entire series has to offer, it's so fucking fantastic coming from someone who's lukewarm on the base game.

Still progressing through Eiyuden Chronicle but I also have these shiny new indie games: Animal Well, Little Kitty Big City, 1000xResist and Surmount. I also got the latest DLC for AEW Fight Forever on Switch, so I'll check that out as well.

Have a good birthday @Red Monster ! 🥳

I’m currently visiting family for Mother’s Day so it’s going to be more Picross S1 for me. I think I’m down to the last three pages of normal Picross before I have to double back to the ones I haven’t cracked yet or need a second go at for the “no assist” stamp. Then it’s onto Mega Picross for the first time!

I don’t think I’m gonna finish this game before Songs of Conquest lands in a couple weeks but I’m super happy I’ve managed to stick with a Picross game for this long 😄

Other than that I’ll probably fire up Zelda: ALTTP for the NSO mission this month. It’s been a while since I’ve played it so it remains to be seen if I somehow manage to not just keep going with it.

Oh and there may be some Mario Kart 8 DX time with the family while I’m here.

Tomorrow I'll probably continue my Thimbleweed Park playthrough since I have to go to work. It's a nifty little point and click.
Good choice! I’m starting to get the itch for a PnC game again and while I’m hoping Dave “no relation to Ron” Gilbert finally delivers Old Skies this year I may have to find something else to play and that’s a good candidate from what I’ve heard.

Began playing Fire Emblem: Three Houses over the last few days. Not too far into it (only in the middle of May), but I'm enjoying it so far. My biggest takeaway is really how different it is from the two FE games I've finished before this (Sacred Stones and PoR); while those two are much more blatantly strategy games and are extremely brisk, FE3H focuses way more on the social sim/school elements than I expected.

I kind of figured this would be the case anyway, but that the earlier FEs and Three Houses are part of the same series is definitely a little odd to think about, haha.

You're not the only one playing Pokemon Yellow Legacy, Red! The Retroid Pocket 4 Pro being out of commission means it's back to the Miyoo Mini. Not a great Gen II and beyond device (no real RTC in the non-plus model), but perfect for Gen I!

Right now, I'm going with Pikachu, Poliwhirl, and Paras. A team of "P"s, what a coincidence. Let's see how these buffs and tweaks go for the rest of the game now that I'm at Cerulean.

Began playing Fire Emblem: Three Houses over the last few days. Not too far into it (only in the middle of May), but I'm enjoying it so far. My biggest takeaway is really how different it is from the two FE games I've finished before this (Sacred Stones and PoR); while those two are much more blatantly strategy games and are extremely brisk, FE3H focuses way more on the social sim/school elements than I expected.

I kind of figured this would be the case anyway, but that the earlier FEs and Three Houses are part of the same series is definitely a little odd to think about, haha.
TBH, Path of Radiance was way too slow and talky for me when I played it coming off the GBA games. At least the combat sections in Three Houses are faster paced.

Hello! This weekend I'm working on:

Pillars of Eternity - yes, I am extremely late on this one lol I think I actually bought it back when it originally came out on pc and just never got around to it! With Avowed coming up this year (?), I've had a goal this year though to find a space and play these with Avowed being set in the same world. I downloaded this off of gamepass early in the week then and have not been able to put it down, it's absolutely fantastic. I really enjoyed the original Baldur's Gate games as a teen and this game really does hit that nostalgia button exactly. The writing is great, the world and areas you visit have beautiful maps and are fun to explore, it's just great stuff. RTwP will always be a little finicky, but I'm having a good time and the controller layout actually works quite well.

Animal Well - I don't really want to say too much about this one since half the fun is folks experiencing it in their own way and discovering things at their own pace but damn this game is great.

That's me!

Some more Bayonetta 3. I just finished chapter 3, and there are some parts I like, and other parts I really don't like. Standard fights and boss fights where it's Bayonetta herself vs. the boss are great.

I'm really not a fan of controlling giant monsters and platforming with them. It's just clunky. Because of these frustrating moments, I have a hard time playing this game for more than a few verses at a time. I remember binge playing Bayonetta 2, but that's not happening for me with 3. Hopefully I can power through it before Paper Mario TTYD comes out.

Holy shit.

In betweeen 1000xRESIST, who I have fallen in love with, the excellent Blue Reflection and an anniversary playthrough of TotK, I’m eating.

Started and finished Little Kitty Big City. Tempted to keep exploring despite being mostly done. Played some Vampire Survivors DLC, and did some Picross in Logiart Grimoire. Probably won't start another game this weekend so it'll be just Vampire Survivors and Picross.

Holy shit.

In betweeen 1000xRESIST, who I have fallen in love with, the excellent Blue Reflection and an anniversary playthrough of TotK, I’m eating.
Really glad you are enjoying Blue Reflection Irene! Wasn’t sure what you’d think of it walking in. There’s some elements in there I’m really not a fan of (parts of the tone are way off), but I did really like most of it. No one else has ever attempted magical girl Persona at its level.

Some more Bayonetta 3. I just finished chapter 3, and there are some parts I like, and other parts I really don't like. Standard fights and boss fights where it's Bayonetta herself vs. the boss are great.

I'm really not a fan of controlling giant monsters and platforming with them. It's just clunky. Because of these frustrating moments, I have a hard time playing this game for more than a few verses at a time. I remember binge playing Bayonetta 2, but that's not happening for me with 3. Hopefully I can power through it before Paper Mario TTYD comes out.

If you're talking about the last part of Tokyo then yeah that section was rough. Fortunately there aren't really any other tedious sections like that going forward.

Enjoy the rest of the game!

Back
Top Bottom