• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Whatcha Playin’ This Weekend, Fam? |2/9-2/11|

I got a PS5 the other day so while I wait for a sale on FFXVI I'm going through some of my unfinished PS4 library, some with upgrades like Ghost of Tsushima.

It's pretty decent so far, not particularly deep but the sword combat is fun and it's absolutely gorgeous.

Me and a friend are going to be playing Warframe together this weekend to try and get some of the Prime frames available right now before they cycle (Warframes are like characters and Primes are upgraded versions).

Other than that, more Lies of P (currently just beat the Mad Clown Puppet which...why is a random mini boss harder than actual bosses up to this point?) and Cassette Beasts.

For me, I'm going to try and spend a little while playing some more Another Code Recollection and MAYBE Super Mario RPG Remake (I put that on the back burner during the holidays but I want to get back to it soon!)!! :)

I finally played more Rayman, beat the first world. That music level was a ton of fun
Rayman Origins and Legends are two games that look amazing but for some reason, I’ve never picked them up. If you’ve got more impressions, I’m all ears!

My next playthrough of Triangle Strategy is underway, but I might pick up Deemo 2 again since a friend says the story has advanced a lot.

Not too much, wandering in Genshin and Ghost of Tsushima. Trying to commit to a game but realize I havent finished Rift Apart. So probably that.

How was it? I never played it or the sequel but remember thinking “these look pretty alright for a movie game”
Oh it's quite bad. It's essentially just walking through hallways and doing navigational puzzles while sometimes being accosted by combat or an actual little puzzle. The combat is terrible feeling and looks as bad as it feels, and the puzzle boxes are on the same level as like Bioshock pipe minigame. A lot of "loot" is hidden behind optional variants of those puzzles, but it's all a waste of time cause nothing in the game is remotely threatening or draining on resources. About halfway through the game I noticed they only had around a single digit number of puzzles for each template, and they just start repeating. It's an insane feeling when you realize all the mini puzzles are looping. The actual navigational puzzles and environmental set piece puzzles are pretty alright though and enough to make me not go insane, but every other piece of the game sucks ass..

The Saw IP carries a lot of those more interesting parts too. It's just kinda funny and wild what they do with it in a video game format. It's still not super good though, and the set piece traps are just the icing on the "what the fuck were they thinking" cake. When you find somebody in a trap that you are supposed to save, you enter into a climatic puzzle minigame. They are all basically just logic puzzles that would be quaint in a Zelda dungeon. "Solve this series of Zelda sliding blocks on ice puzzles in 6 moves or less, or else this lady you know gets put into the iron maiden. Live or die, make your choice." Hearing the real Tobin Bell delivering all these lines sends me into orbit, and the little pass/fail cinematics of people in Saw traps while I'm playing a memory matcher at a 2nd grade level is too much.

It is faithful to the terrible parts of the Saw series and has the real Tobin Bell actually putting in the work, so it's a "fun" time if you like to engage with that series cynically like I do. Outside of that it's so bad it wouldn't even be remotely worth visiting without the IP.

I bought the digital deluxe edition of Final Fantasy Theatrhytm on Switch for 50% off. I'll be playing through that.

My pal that I game share with on PS5 got Helldivers 2, so I have also been dabbling with that.

I finished up Skyward Sword so now I'm trying to decide between Persona 5 Royal, Shin Megami Tensei V, and Pokémon Legends Arceus.

Update: Made it to the birthday party. Pretty sure this is what Hell consists of.
CzFewGi.jpeg

I just reached the point where I feel like I'm being filtered by Tekken matchmaking and it's not fun having to use heat smashes as a crutch so I decided to take a bit of a break before I go back into training and continue with the Prince of Persia Warrior Within playthrough I had only put like 30 minutes into ...

... and I only put like another 30 minutes into it.

Yeah, I'm not liking it so much so far. Weirdly a lot of my problems with it are the same problems I had the first time I tried Sands of Time, and I just finished that and ended up really enjoying it so now I'm wondering if that was a fluke. The combat is still pretty bad and the navigation in the game is off. The fact that it's now super edgy is a turn off even if it is kind of funny how misguided it is. It's not the worst game I've ever played but it's like a 5 or 6/10 so far.

Rayman Origins and Legends are two games that look amazing but for some reason, I’ve never picked them up. If you’ve got more impressions, I’m all ears!
If you like 2D platformers like DKC or Sonic you'll feel right at home, I think.

Going to finish up Super Mario RPG tonight. Debating what to start tomorrow. I'm debating between Baten Kaitos or Bayonetta 1.

It’s my birthday weekend (turning 22 tomorrow!) and I’m treating myself to more Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes!

I avoided this game for a while due to not particularly loving Age of Calamity, but after finally caving, Three Hopes is really doing it for me! I’ve gotten addicted and I’m loving revisiting the world of Three Houses. Much to my surprise, I’m really digging the gameplay and I love how many cues it takes from traditional FE while still being a different genre. Stuff like the stat boosting, support conversations, and strategic gameplay while directing characters around the battlefield really help give it that FE feel. It’s honestly going to be a bit hard to adjust to traditional FE after this — not because it’s worse or anything, but just because I’ve gotten so comfortable with this style of gameplay over the last 20 hours!

Anyway, while it might be a spin-off, it’s still the next step in my journey towards playing as many FE games as I can :)

Finished up FF VII Remake Intermission. Now I've started Ghost of Tsushima: Iki Island. Damn, I completely forgot how to play this game. I'm getting my ass handed to me in battles I shouldn't. I had to look up the controls and what stances counter what enemies.

I finally played more Rayman, beat the first world. That music level was a ton of fun
That music level is an absolute classic. One of the all-time greatest platforming levels IMO. I prefer Original overall but there's lots of great stuff in Legends..

Finished up FF VII Remake Intermission. Now I've started Ghost of Tsushima: Iki Island. Damn, I completely forgot how to play this game. I'm getting my ass handed to me in battles I shouldn't. I had to look up the controls and what stances counter what enemies.
this is the worst part about coming back to a game for DLC.

I finished Carrion and been playing Yooka-Laylee The Impossible Lair.
Under-appreciated game. I hope you enjoy it a ton. There are some really clever platforming twists. I hope we see another 2D game from PlayTonic soon, or any new game from them.

this is the worst part about coming back to a game for DLC.

I completely forgot that the Iki Island DLC was tied to the main campaign. I started it thinking that it was it's own separate thing and that the game would teach me how to play again. Nope! That first battle back was rough. I was like "What's the lock on button again? Wait, does this game have a lock on?".

I think I might replay Final Fantasy VII remake and intermission.

I’m aware of most of the story plot points. But im sure I’m forgetting some stuff. Or maybe I should play crisis core. I dropped it due to work last year, probably be the best time to catch up

Love the .gifs @big lantern ghost and loving seeing how much you're enjoying TF! I found this was one game where exploring all the nooks and crannies for the puzzle pieces and KONG letters was especially engaging. The music and presentation play a big part in that, and especially the level design. I love the setpieces and the way each level feels like its own compelling adventure.

I'm on the last episode of Case of the Golden Idol, but it seems quite tricky and I've been quite tired during the last couple of days, so may just leave that for later. I picked up Snakebird for Switch, but those puzzles won't be exactly easy either.

I know I should just sleep.

Finished Baten Kaitos as planned, and ended up with a spare half hour or so before I watch Masters of the Air with the family, so I'm starting Oracle of Ages. Did Seasons last year and looking forward to this.

We're enjoying some fan gaming this weekend with Sonic Triple Touble 16-Bit! A great (if not technically demanding) test of the Retroid Pocket 4 Pro as a gaming device, one that it passes with flying colors so far. Wonder if I can fit in a Sonic/Tails and a Knuckles playthrough...

We're enjoying some fan gaming this weekend with Sonic Triple Touble 16-Bit! A great (if not technically demanding) test of the Retroid Pocket 4 Pro as a gaming device, one that it passes with flying colors so far. Wonder if I can fit in a Sonic/Tails and a Knuckles playthrough...
Great pick!

There’s an Android version of AM2R as well 🤔

Finished that fourth run of Dread as planned, but I kind of got lost hunting for item pickups near the end. I didn't replay anything with my remaining time, though, instead playing the two hour long Final Fantasy VII Rebirth demo (Nibelheim).

My weekend report - it was a good weekend for gaming, but darn it went by way too fast at least for me. For Like A Dragon 8 I cleared the Sujimon League, got a little farther in the story, but then have been trapped on Dondoko Island where I shall seemingly remain for in game months lol. I finished tonight by raising my island to a 2 star resort so I’m getting into it for sure. It’s a very fun minigame with a lot to juggle and I’m a little worried as it expands, but I’ll cross that bridge when I get there. My goal is to get a five star resort and clear the 100 guests trophy. The latter goal seems a bit daunting at this point particularly to do efficiently, but I’ve only finished my first round of guests so I’m still early.

I also did continue playing Love Live School Idol Festival 2 each day. The main thing to share is I decided to start playing Hard level tracks which transformed a game I was having fun with to one I’m adoring. It’s a really fun challenge as you tap along to the notes and regularly have to hold notes with one finger, tap with another, and sometimes swap which one you are holding. The notes fly at you fast on Hard which makes keeping track and keeping up with it such a rush. I’m excited to get better at it and up the difficulty further. (Should add for context, I love music games, I just never really played any touch screen ones that use my thumbs, so this one feels extra fresh for me as a new challenge.)

Lots of gaming this weekend! Not enough, never enough. But a lot for my standards.

I got in a good few hours of TLoU 2. The story doesn’t seem to be going anywhere yet, but the gameplay is out of this world. Super good. Got in a little bit of time with 13 Sentinels and NFS Underground. I’m past the 50% mark with 13 Sentinels, and at 75% with NFS. I also got through maybe twenty five puzzles in Picross 3D. Decent progress for my main games!

Then on the Steam Deck, I played a bit of Halo MCC, got through the Aperture Desk Job tech demo, and played half a dozen demos from the Steam Next Fest.

Would have gotten more gaming in too, but the Super Bowl was last night and that took up the entire evening. But still, it was a good weekend.

Managed to make some progress in FFV. I'm a bit torn on it, the story/characters aren't really grabbing me (altho it's been improving), but the gameplay is getting interesting with the Jobs system.

Also managed to start and play a bit of F-Zero X. It's F-Zero alright haha, not much else I can say.

For my weekend gaming report, I tried to play Toodee and Topdee but bounced right off. Then I got through a couple levels of Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon but lost interest after that. Then I ended up building a monster truck in Tears of the Kingdom which I used to rampage through the Depths. Ah, TotK, you invigorate me so.

Ok, so i didn't post in the weekend because, in fact, i didn't have any gaming plans at all, but things went awry and i found a neat refuge in my games. I focused in two of them exactly:

Horizon: Zero Dawn
8607D2147D6AD3307271E434DE2576BDC9258F2A

Last time i played, i had just left the tower where Alloy discovered who her mom was, and i was ready to get to the next stop of the min plot, but on my way i stopped by Meridian, and completed both Erend and Orin's plots - wich i had left uncomplete - before going forward. I was dissapointed with both not because of the conclusion, but because of the final battles: An idiot with a sonic weapon that didn't affect me because i always attack from afar followed by a flock of robot birds that fall with a couple of fire arrows, and on Orin's side just another Eclipse settlement, wich i solved fairly easily.

Now, i'm torn between keep following the main plot or go for the long legs and cauldrons.

And, as for my second choice, it was Pokémon SoulSilver
GF1hVuRW4AAoq_H

Ok, first things first: That's a DraStiC screenshot. Honestly, the more i play DS games on my 3DS, the more i hate how they look, and since i don't have a DS i decided to pay for DraStiC, and man, that was such a great choice. It took me a little while to figure out some stuff, but in the end, the final result was worth the effort.

...Where was i? Oh, yes, last time i played i had just reached Goldenrod, so after doing the usual - check out the Radio Tower, get the Pokégear card, speak with the TRash over there and fight in the subway - i rearrange my team, grinded a little, and went to the Goldenrod gym with a simple but effective plan: GrassKlown, my Bellsprout, would go out first turn agaisnt the most PS heavy 'mons (and Withney's Miltank) and use Poison Power on then so, worst case scenario, the fight would evolve into a battle of attrition that my non poisoned Pokémon would win.

Well, that plan failed because the little fucker fell asleep to a Jigglypuff's Sing in the very first battle, and then let himself be doubleslapped to death not waking up in five turns! So i had to resort to Plan B: Put Miltank to sleep with Hypnosis, debuff her to hell and back and beat her.

And even with that, i ended up with two critters on the red (the rest were defeated) because the goddamn cow wouldn't stop using Milk Drink! I won because of a lucky chain of crits!

Oh well, last thing i did was catching Sudowoodo and head back to the Pokémon Center to heal my team because jesus fuck was that derpy tree hard to catch!

This is my team as of now:

• PyroMouse the Quilava (lv. 18) - Surprisingly unused to the point that i don't even know how she reached that level! After Azalea, everything wants and can kill her! To her credit, she did a number on Withney's goons at the gym, and held her own agaisnt Miltank until a crit 3xRollout took her out, even with max debuffed attack
  • WiseOwl the Hoothoot (lv. 17) - Co-star at the Goldenrod gym and unsung MVP agaisnt Withney thanks to his hypnosis. Learned Uproar, wich has made him a bit of a powerhouse, but that attack negates sleep, so...
  • Asimova the Flaaffy (lv. 18) - Asimova evolved! She was one of the survivors of the Miltank calamity wich she paralyzed mid battle to make her fail her rollouts more often. Didn't really do much aside of that, but her evolution saved the day.
  • Emeth the Geodude (lv. 18) - The last stand agaisnt Miltank AND Sudowoodo, he tanked everything and returned hits twofold. This one's a keeper, at least for now.
  • Dooper the Wooper (lv. 18) - The little critter that could! Bad attacker and defender, but got in a couple of crits agaisnt Miltank that put us reaaaally close to victory... Before the effin' cow used Milk Drink and beat up the poor thing with rollout (managed to go 5x before paralysis stopped it!)
  • GrassKlown the Bellsprout (lv. 17) - He's going out as soon as i find something decent to rotate him for. Where are the hoppips? Why haven't i found a fucking Hoppip yet? You literally had ONE job, GrassKlown!
And that would be it. Having it in my phone means that i'm going to play this more than i expected. Next objective? I guess looking up the burnt tower and taking care of the next gym, wich will probably happen through the week.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom