• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Whatcha Playin’ This Weekend, Fam? |2/9-2/11|

Red Monster

Professional Conversationalist
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
Iiiiiiiiiiit’s Friday! That means it’s time for fami’s favorite weekly weekend thread. We wanna hear your plans. We wanna hear about your games. We wanna hear about your dreams. Let’s go!

——————

My gaming plans for this weekend are the same as last weekend (and the one before that… and the one before that one too): 13 Sentinels - Aegis Rim, The Last of Us Part II Remastered, Need for Speed Underground, and Picross 3D. Eventually I’ll finish one of these games and they’ll stop showing up in these threads.

I also just got a Steam Deck, so I’m sure I’ll be playing random games from my Steam library to test it out.

Outside of games, we were supposed to be going to a kid’s birthday party tomorrow, but my whole family just got sick again, despite recovering from a sickness just a few days ago. So that sucks. Pray for us, fam. Covid-negative, at least.

——————

That’s all I got! Sorry the thread is a few hours later than usual. Stay safe everyone, and have a great weekend!

Howdy!

I got to Chapter 14 in FFVIII Remake. I have to imagine I have like 5-6 hours left. If I have my druthers, I'll wrap it up this weekend so I have time to get excited for Rebirth. I never do have my druthers, though.

Anywho, I'm also scheduled to go to a kid's birthday tomorrow. It's the first time my kid has been invited to do something outside of school, which is kind of exciting. There's at least a part of me that wishes we could get sick and skip it, though, but it's not a part of me that I'm particularly proud of.

Final Fantasy XIII is donezilla. Need some time to reflect on it more, but it’s definitely shot up my FF ranking. Thought about giving Elden Ring another go after my last rough return trip, but instead…

TBotB1k.gif

YEP. It’s time for Stranger of Paradise. A souls-ish game with difficulty settings! A dad’s dream. Also, my big dumb bros are with me. My only regret is that I can’t bring my beloved Ron with me, because this game is Ron as Hell.

On the Switch: I’ve made it to World 4 in Tropical Freeze. Liking it so far! Starting to get a little tricky, and I have lots of missed collectables. So I think I’m going to do another run through the first couple worlds, try and leave them a little more complete and polish up my skills along the way. Hoping I can finish before the Tomb Raider remasters next week.

Funny enough, the thread last week had me writing about 4 games I was playing, The Last of Us Part II, Persona 3, In Stars And Time and Apollo Justice.

Now, however, all I can think about is the FFVII Rebirth demo. I just want to play it a third time, and I've watched the trailers over and over again. I even tried to pick up Remake, but I'm at the Wall Market, and after the Wall Market I just tap out, because I think that the entire game just drops siginificantly after that.

Anywho, I'm also scheduled to go to a kid's birthday tomorrow. It's the first time my kid has been invited to do something outside of school, which is kind of exciting. There's at least a part of me that wishes we could get sick and skip it, though, but it's not a part of me that I'm particularly proud of.
I relate to this so freaking hard

Probably finishing up Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intermission this weekend. So far, I'd give it a 6/10. I'm excited for Rebirth but playing this makes think if I'm actually excited for Rebirth lol

I've had a number of issues with Remake, particularly with the linearity of some of the levels and clarity in combat, both are still an issue in Intermission but you don't get the benefit of really hanging out in the open sectors or spending time with the old casts. It's Yuffie and a bunch of people that were clearly not pulled from the original game.

I'm also playing through Final Fantasy 4. Just became a Paladin and now I'm off to save Rosa.

I'm hopefully going to finish Baten Kaitos, and might turn on 200% gameplay speed and 1 hit kos for regular enemies, because these later optional dungeons have been something of a slog. Not difficult; just feels awfully like filler (though Savyna's at least serves as a satisfactory conclusion to her story). I've very much enjoyed returning to it after all these years, and I'll look forward to eventually playing Origins later this year, but I'm definitely close to having my fill of the game. One more optional dungeon before I go storm Cor Hydrae.

Been chipping away at Golden sun and I’m at the colosso. May try to wrap up good job and get back to AI or Ryza. On the Xbox side I keep juggling between lad, ace combat and soulcalibur

I also just got a Steam Deck, so I’m sure I’ll be playing random games from my Steam library to test it

Nice! What Steam Deck model you go for? I love mine, Deck/Switch combo is going to be my preferred gaming choice moving forward.

Main game on the go for me right now are on Steam Deck and is still Marvel Midnight Suns which I’m about 20 hours into at the moment. I was looking through my Steam Library and have been thinking about playing more of the older stuff I have never played before so tonight I plan to start Half Life and see what this series is like.

Over on the Switch I have been dabbling with Dawn of the Monsters which is fun to pick up in short bursts every now and then (Can get pretty damn tough though)

Have a great weekend Fami!

Started Final Fantasy V a few days ago (Pixel Remaster), it's the only one of the SNES ones I never played so I'm excited about it. Probably gonna start playing F-Zero X as well, the last game I drawed for my Exploring NSO project.

Mario RPG is supposed to get delivered today or tomorrow. Probably just that - I fired up some Halo last night after not playing for months and just got my ass handed to me. I'm not much of a competitive online gamer these days. Maybe if I'm waiting I'll catch some legendaries in Scarlet/Violet or play a little more Golden Sun.

Nice! What Steam Deck model you go for? I love mine, Deck/Switch combo is going to be my preferred gaming choice moving forward.
I went for a 1TB OLED. I know I could have gotten the 512GB and upgraded the SSD, but I liked the anti-glare screen, and figured it would be better if I didn’t have to immediately open up my brand new monstrosity and rip out its guts.

I have a huge Steam library of mostly unplayed games, and I’m excited by the idea of finally exploring it. I just have to learn my way around this thing, and try not to be so intimidated by it. I’ve never been very good with PC games and how fiddly they can be.

I went for a 1TB OLED. I know I could have gotten the 512GB and upgraded the SSD, but I liked the anti-glare screen, and figured it would be better if I didn’t have to immediately open up my brand new monstrosity and rip out its guts.

I have a huge Steam library of mostly unplayed games, and I’m excited by the idea of finally exploring it. I just have to learn my way around this thing, and try not to be so intimidated by it. I’ve never been very good with PC games and how fiddly they can be.

To be honest, this was the first time I’ve ever touched real PC gaming before and the device has been a joy so far. Very much a console like experience but with more freedom to tinker with things and add more to it. Just stick with your main library then next thing you know you’ll be in desktop mode downloading apps and non steam games haha.

You probably already know this site but ProtonDB is a good resource to see what will run on the Deck with minimum fuss/bit of tinkering.

I am finishing up a quick playthrough of Kirby Triple Deluxe on the 3DS, as I had never played that one. Pretty basic but good palate cleanser for other big games. Other than that I've been dabbling in Vampire Survivors for some mindless action and Firewatch for some chill night time walking around. Never played either until very recently.

The one I'm really digging into lately is Baldur's Gate 3. Finally got it in December. Been playing a multiplayer session with two others, and dabbling in a single player run as well. First game I've played like this since Divinity 2 six years ago, and it's been so much fun.

And if I get around to it I may download and play the Final Fantasy VII Rebirth demo. We'll see.

I just finished spider man 2, you could say it was amazing.

I’m going back to god of war ragnarok after stopping mid way due to my hand issues last year that aren’t a problem anymore.

Same as last weekend: Octopath Traveler 2: I am about to begin the second chapters of most of the characters and hopefully complete some sidequests and extra dungeons.

I've been going crazy on Monster Hunter Rise for the past couple weeks, so I'll definitely be doing more of that. I also wanna start up Nore More Heroes 2 after I finished the first game a couple weeks ago.

I've been playing through Advance Wars in the Reboot Camp collection for the first time. Quite fun although can be frustrating at the tricky parts. I don't think I'll get enough time to finish it this weekend, since I'm just under halfway through.

So cool to see so much Final Fantasy out there, keep defeating ultimate evil with help from a few friends!

iu

I'm deep in Triangle Strategy on Hard mode, this fantasy tactics game has me hooked- I say it's because the action and strategy is fairly complex and highly rewarding without feeling like punishment, I can't get enough, a battle (or two) has become a routine night move for me after work to relax. The story moments are highly involved as well, not gonna lie, they love to make the player choose between "bad" and "worse" outcomes. Playing in handheld, curled up in bed during winter, reminds me of fond adventures in Ivalice on the Gameboy Advance. 😂

Wow, it's the weekend already! I'll finish up my fourth run of Metroid Dread (having done my third last weekend) and maybe complete Opus Echo of Starsong (which is leaving Game Pass soon), but I might drop it instead as I'm halfway through and not really invested.

My backlog is primarily VNs and similar narrative-heavy/gameplay-light titles, and I want to hold off on Baldur's Gate 3 until next week's patch, so if I have more gaming time I'll probably replay something action-based like Super Mario 3D World or God of War (2018).

😲

That is one long video game
Oh you can beat it in like 20 hours but Yakuzas are wide games and between an in-game RPG and animal crossing mode and the dungeons and the secret overworld bosses and the 50 minigames it just sorta happens that I pick it up and put it down 2 hours later having achieved barely anything

After years without a backlog, I've finally built a little one back up.

Last weekend I finished off Plague Tale Requiem, then played through the entirety of Disco Elysium. Seeing as I beat Pentiment in January, that's a lot of bleak, narrative heavy games in a row.

So this weekend I'm gonna try to get through Portal 2 and maybe try some Sea of Thieves. That said, I'm going whale-watching all Saturday so I won't have much time.

Hopefully I can finish Neptunia Sister vs Sister this weekend and then start to clear my backlog with the second Golden Sun game. Took me like 20 minutes to put the goddam password

Think I’m focusing this weekend on Like A Dragon Infinite Wealth. I’m 30 some hours in and barely unlocked the job system. I’ve been having a great time tackling side content as it opens up and nearly all of it has been good fun. I’m most glad my biggest complaint about LAD7, the battle system being too stiff/basic, has seemingly been addressed because the flow now never gets interrupted / dragged down by a core element.

The only other game I’ll play alongside it is Love Live School Idol Festival 2 which I’ve been playing daily since launch. Having a great time working my way through the 600 some songs in the music game. Biggest disappointment is there is barely any story stuff here, but I guess that will make putting it down in the future when it gets erased from existence less painful.

Getting back into Great Ace Attorney Chronicles on Switch and playing some Apollo Justice Trilogy on PS5 via back compat. I might consider getting Helldivers II over the weekend as well as that looks like a lot of fun.

Pray for us, fam. Covid-negative, at least.
Praying commencing!

There's at least a part of me that wishes we could get sick and skip it
I feel ya. I also need to fulfill social obligations and go to a drinking party, and I don't even really like drinking.

I've got Tekken 8 on the brain but my friends and I have still not managed to organize a get-together to play it. So... I dunno. I don't really feel like playing anything else lol.

I'm still playing Atelier Ryza 1. I can sense it; I should be nearing the end. I'm starting to craft end game gear, upgrading them (only limited by lack of materials and gems) and beating those tough elemental bosses. Almost there! I like the characters so far. Cute and earnest. Maybe I should follow up on the game by watching the anime.

IF I beat the game this Lunar New Year weekend (doubtful but...), I don't think I'll head back into the world of Atelier Ryza immediately. Gonna switch up the game genres a bit. Probably Re:Collection or Bear and Breakfast. One of these two.

Oh. And to everyone who celebrates it, Happy Lunar New Year!

Got the RetroTink all set up with the Wii last weekend since that's our only way to play GCN games (haven't hacked the Wii U). This was in order to play Four Swords Adventures for two first time. We're switching off playing in one player. It's a really interesting game. I was so surprised the first time the mini GBA window appeared on the screen. The game holds up incredibly well graphically on a modern TV using RetroTink 2X. We're only 5 or so levels in but definitely glad to finally get to check this out.

Otherwise, I've been replaying Captain Toad on Wii U when I have time here and there, in order to get the secret goals and unlock the final levels. Some of the secret goals are quite tricky to me, especially the ones that require a certain number of swipes in the touchscreen-type levels. The game is incredibly charming, creative and just has this pervasively relaxing vibe to it that I find very calming. The Japanese word for tranquility is chinsei, using the kanji for sink and for calm, and this game has heaps of chinsei.

My first Sony first party title, God of War!

It's more or less what I expected so far. Pretty fun though

Been awhile since I’ve been in one of these threads. Usual COD Warzone mornings with my college buddies. Then Mario Wonder and Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright to get the prologues in before 3DS online dies (assume these are just linked to Capcom servers).

I finished Shantae and the Seven Sirens yesterday, nice glow-up from 1/2 Genie Hero. Started Bastion now as the next Switch indie game. I also started Yakuza: Like a Dragon last week and am enjoying it so far, but I think I might have to shelf it a bit in favor of starting/finishing FFVII Intermission in time for Rebirth. So it might be a while before I get back to Yakuza.

The usual rotation again, Exoprimal (Gamepass PC) and F-Zero 99...but a new game is in as well!

Q.U.B.E 10th Anniversary (Switch), which is the remake of the first first person puzzle game with Portal vibes. Instead of portals, you manipulate cubes. If it's like the sequel I'm guessing it'll be easy until the last quarter of the game.

Anyway, the backlog slowly continues

More Bayonetta 3 - I didn't get super far last weekend (in fact, all I was able to finish was Ch. 3.5 LOL), so I'll try and pick up the pace some this time.

Took me a while to get the hang of the Jeanne infiltration levels too.

And since my desktop is back up and running, maybe I'll get some time with DOOM 64's Lost Levels out of it.

Chipping away at my backlog prior to Unicorn Overlord releases March 8th.

Got a few games on my radar I want to beat prior to that:

Finish Trinity Trigger ~25% in to the game, but currently not feeling it but it's been a long time since we started it so I really should get going soon again.
Little Nightmares 2 - Me and my wife really enjoyed the first one (and I dont really like horror games at all so it was a bit of a surprise)
And either Batman Arkham Asylum or Crisis Core as a solo project.

And it turned out that me and my wife did start Little Nightmares 2 yesterday, Trinity Trigger needs to wait a lil bit more.

Back
Top Bottom