• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Whatcha Playin’ This Weekend, Fam? |12/8-12/10|

Red Monster

Professional Conversationalist
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
What’s up, folks?! Welcome to the weekly weekend thread! Talk about your gaming plans, your IRL plans, et cetera et cetera. It’s everyone’s favorite thread! Here’s to the freakin’ weeken’ and all that.

I’m starting a weeklong vacation today, which is exciting! I don’t take much time off of work so I’m going to savor this week. And I’ve got a lot to play! First off, I plan on finishing Sonic Dream Team and WarioWare Twisted, two short but very sweet little games. And then I’ve got the newly-shadow dropped DLC, Final Fantasy XVI Echoes of the Fallen. I’m so excited to jump back in to my favorite game of 2023! Of course I’m still in the middle of Pokémon Crystal Legacy where I just caught Suicine, and now I’m gonna make my way to Blackthorne City. And finally, I really need to get back to The Last of Us Part 1. I’m finding it difficult to motivate myself to play this one; I keep finding other, smaller games to play instead. I’m gonna knuckle down and make some real progress on my vacation.

During my time off, we’re going to try potty training our oldest boy. He’s two years and nine months old, and I think he’s ready. We’ll see! It’s kinda scary for me and my wife, because this is our first time potty training and we don’t really know what we’re doing. But if he doesn’t take to it then I guess he’s just not ready yet. Wish us luck.

That’s it, fam! Have at it. I hope everyone has an awesome weekend!

I'm definitely giving the FFXVI DLC a go, and for that reason I'm kind of glad the NG+ update for Alan Wake 2 isn't coming until Monday. Other than that, not too sure what I'll play. I'm in a bit of a lull right now. Maybe I'll work at Resident Evil 4 some more.

Some Warcraft 3 multiplayer
Some Ghost Trick
Some Super Mario RPG

Honestly, not really feeling Super Mario RPG yet.. There's some charm and giggles around for sure, but it's kind of meh.
Hopefully it'll get better as I progress

Well, I dug up Ys Origin on a whim this week, so I'm going to continue playing it - close to finishing my run with Yunica, then probably going to see if I'll go through the game with Hugo and The Claw as well.

Beyond that... I'm resuming reading The Fairy's Song after a long break (close to three months in fact) and am going to restart reading Blackberry Honey. And if I finish Ys Origin, I'll go back to 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim.

very excited to be starting Outer Wilds tonight with my partner, to whom I've spent several years hyping up this game I've never played and only seen like 30 seconds of footage of. half-expecting to make it like an hour in before deciding its too scary for me

Busy weekend for me this weekend so won’t be playing much, if I do get a chance it’ll likely be Dragon Quest 11s

Continuing my slog through FE Engage (over the halfway point finally, huzzah), so that's gonna get another few chapters done this weekend with any luck. Next weekend is packing and driving for Christmas Vacation, and my friend and I are doing the playthrough together, so this weekend/coming week really needs to see Engage completed.

If all goes well, I get to finish Poirot: The London Case before the new year and go into 2024 with only 1 game on my backlog!

Still on the Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Rain (Switch) wagon. I’m at a part where I have to climb but wet mountainsides are making things difficult so I may take a break to try out the new Nintendo 64 games on Nintendo Switch Online.

I need to circle back to Resident Evil 2 remake (PS4). I’m right at the part where Dr. Birkin keeps hitting me (Leon) in the face with a pipe, and I don’t need that kind of negativity in my life. Just got to push through, I guess.

very excited to be starting Outer Wilds
That’s the next one in my queue!

For now, though, I’m still playing through Shin Megami Tensei V. I believe I’m in the final area of the game and my MC is in full godslayer mode. And since I am in the position to make a beeline for the ending, naturally I decided to clean up all the side quests I had been putting off, most of them involving those tough optional bosses. Time to bang my head against the wall! Also I need Macca. Always needing more Macca.

Genuinely a relief to be in this thread, seeing what everyone is playing. I survived the week! Here’s what I’ll be up to:

Xbox
Alan Wake II. Unless this beefs it to an unfathomable degree at the end, it’s my Game of the Year. I doubt that will be the case! This is a mixed media masterpiece y’all. Cannot wait to dig deeper.
HXHGS5M.gif

Switch
Taking my time playing through DQXI S in 2D, checking out every corner and seeing how things are different. It’s wild that this massive, massive game was constructed three different ways: 3D, 2D, and in simplified 3D for the Japan-only 3DS version (which runs in 2D simultaneously on the bottom screen!).
A3bMbAP.gif

Rolling with my dogs in Diablo II. I haven’t played a Druid since 2.4 and didn’t realize you can have all of your pets out at the same time now. So I’m working toward some straight up Dr. Doolittle shit.
deteC0c.gif

iPhone
Subpar Pool, on @yamanoi’s recommendation. In contrast to so many mobile games — even a lot of good ones! — it doesn’t throw you 150 levels of tutorials before getting around to anything of substance. There is a compelling and thoughtful approach to the challenge almost right away, and it does a great job of encouraging you to explore the physics and get as much accomplished in a single shot as possible. Excited to continue on.

Taking my time playing through DQXI S in 2D, checking out every corner and seeing how things are different. It’s wild that this massive, massive game was constructed three different ways: 3D, 2D, and in simplified 3D for the Japan-only 3DS version (which runs in 2D simultaneously on the bottom screen!).
Hell yeah! While I haven't played a lot in the 2D mode (yet!), this is one of the reasons XI S is an absolute top tier Dragon Quest for me. And also why I'm fine with them trying out some new stuff in XII. XI was a great celebration of the whole franchise in a lot of ways.

For me, I'm still playing TotK. I'll finish it by the end of the year I believe.

I have no clue. I started Rain Code last weekend but the new N64 games released and A Highland Song also released plus my Pokémon itch popped up again. And to top it all off my physical copy of Arkham Trilogy is coming tomorrow finally.

Cant believe its already 2nd weekend of December, closer to Christmas!

I have too many games but may be out of the house for most of the weekend. Though have been getting back into Skyrim(on deck) lately and discovering how big the modding scene is. Also will probably casually wander around in Ghost or Forbidden West. Latest game I bought is Frontiers of Pandora so may give it a try on the weekend if I have time lol.

Dragon Quest Monsters 3 mostly. Also try to progress in: Arkham Asylum, Outer Wilds, My Time at Sandrock and Gothic II. Also few matches here and there in KoFXIII, MK1 and Ghostbusters.

I finish games just way too fast. I have to learn how to take it slow as my next gaming purchase is on January 17th, Prince of Persia. I could be without anything to play until then...

I'll be playing Xenoblade Chronicles 3 pretty exclusively I think. I'm about 13 hours in, so not too far, but I'm loving every minute. It'll probably be the only game I'm working on until after the holiday season, if it stays as good as the opening was.

New Path of Exile league, so mostly that. Also going to finish up the SMRPG postgame bosses while on the train.

Working on hopefully beating FF16 this weekend so I can jump into the DLC but I've been so busy with the Holidays just around the corner. Actually enjoying FF16 more than I expected, it's got serious flaws but it's a solid 8/10 right now.

I've kicked my own butt and cancelled my Game Pass subscription, so that expires in just over 2 weeks. The reason being that, despite having Jusant and Cocoon installed, I hadn't started either and cancelling the sub basically enforces a deadline.

So, I've started  Cocoon tonight and after an hour I adore it; I delight in being a strange little being transporting and being transported by my precious orbs. I'll definitely be playing more this weekend, but I'm wary of eye strain as I wait to get new glasses.

That being the case (I'm short sighted), Switch's portable mode will get some use. I'm passed 55 hours in the magnificent Octopath Traveler 2 and wanted to wrap it up before Christmas, so that'll get at least a little time this weekend. But, with Zelda back in the news, I've really strongly been feeling the pull to go back to Tears of the Kingdom. I don't know if I'll start it again right now but I might go on it to check out sidequests and perhaps simply roam Hyrule.

Oh, and after cancelling Game Pass, I bought Baldur's Gate 3 now that the Xbox version is out. I'll be starting that in January, which is further incentive to wrap up Cocoon, Jusant and Octopath Traveller 2. But it might also mean I don't yet have the time to return to the Kingdom...

Otherwise, this weekend is also about trying to put a cap on what's been a thoroughly awful year irl by writing Christmas cards for friends and family and attempting to make some nice plans to fit in before year's end.

I've been going through my backlog so I'm currently playing Spark the Electric Jester 3 though I've also started Super Mario RPG because I needed something to get me back into RPGs.

That said, after watching the Game Awards and seeing all the praise and everyone go crazy over it, the hype finally got to me and I bought Alan Wake 2.

December's for the backlog and trying to knock out some shorter games. I started Call of Juarez: Gunslinger on Steam Deck and I gotta say it's maybe the most Xbox 360-ass game I've ever played. Not a bad thing, since I find I'm starting to feel some nostalgia for that era of games, but it really does feel like a blast from the past

If I finish that, I'm thinking I'll finally start either Grim Fandango or Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap

I'm going to wrap up the last couple of side quests in Spider-Man 2. Then...I don't know! I need to go back and finish Sea of Stars so I can start Mario RPG. I got a lot of PS5 games on Black Friday, including Ratchet & Clank, and I think that might be a good thing to finish before I go on my annual holiday trip home.

And yet...I'm kind of curious about Chants of Sennar? Anyone here play that? I've heard about it on a couple of podcasts and think it sounds like a good time. I might download the demo on Switch just to get a taste.

Some kingdom hearts, just got done with the monkey business and am now in station squ- I mean traverse town again

Looks like I have a quiet-ish weekend ahead so I should have plenty of time for gaming. I had been very slowly experiencing the Magia Record fan translation by limiting myself to watching it on my computer since it is incomplete, but the other day I watched it on my phone where it definitely belongs so that’s speeding up exponentially. I’m in the middle of Arc 2 Chapter 4 of the main story and I plan to finish that and probably Another Story Chapter 4 as well. The main story has been building up to a big clash between the five main and other factions so I’m excited to keep going!

Beyond that I’ll probably return to Ducktales Remastered and I’ll be picking my next RPG to play. My top contenders are Octopath Traveler II, a Tales of Symphonia GameCube Replay, and Mass Effect (which I’ve bounced off of three times prior). I’ll see what feels right tonight when I have time for games.

I just finished replaying Mario 64 for my birthday so I’m continuing playing through Batman Arkham asylum. After that, it’s either Sonic colors or Pikmin 1

Friday and Saturday will be spent on Splatoon 3 and SMT3 Nocturne mostly. Really been getting a second wind on Splatoon 3 with the new season and having a blast with Salmon Run still. Nocturne is going so slowly that I’ve only just now got to Matador.

Sunday with my friend will be me watching him play Fortnite and maybe we’ll play MK11 or Dead by Daylight. Fortnite is a little too much for me so I don’t mind watching someone actually good play. DbD is immensely stressful for me at the higher level as killer so I kinda can’t stand playing it either right now. MK11 is always fun though

I'm going to wrap up the last couple of side quests in Spider-Man 2. Then...I don't know! I need to go back and finish Sea of Stars so I can start Mario RPG. I got a lot of PS5 games on Black Friday, including Ratchet & Clank, and I think that might be a good thing to finish before I go on my annual holiday trip home.

And yet...I'm kind of curious about Chants of Sennar? Anyone here play that? I've heard about it on a couple of podcasts and think it sounds like a good time. I might download the demo on Switch just to get a taste.
oh man Rift Apart is so good. Insomniac is on a tear these past few years, it’s like they can’t miss. You gotta play it, pal.

Animal Crossing
Star Ocean Second Story R
Super Mario RPG

Gonna bounce back and forth with these over the weekend for various different reasons.

My one year old daughter loves the noises the animals making in ACNH, so I run around and do busy work to entertain her.

When I get a bit to focus and enjoy a game I'm gonna play Star Ocean and when I am relaxing on the floor with the kids or laying in bed unwinding I'll play Super Mario RPG. I already beat it once, but in going for a 100% run now.

I'll be playing Xenoblade Chronicles 3 pretty exclusively I think. I'm about 13 hours in, so not too far, but I'm loving every minute. It'll probably be the only game I'm working on until after the holiday season, if it stays as good as the opening was.
It gets even better than the opening was! My advice is to take the first major areas slow and explore and do all of the side content. There where come a point where the story reeeeeeeaaaaaaallly hooks you and you want to keep pushing forward. Taking the first few arcs slow will overlevel you, but it will let you hammer through the story once it really grabs you.

Jeez, there's actually a LOT I'm interested in this weekend.

Of course, Star Ocean The Second Story R (Switch) continues. Things are starting to pick up a bit after the Lacuer of Hope. Gameplay is still really fun.

The Finals (PC) final release dropped last night after The Game Awards so I'll be back into that hopefully tonight. If not, tomorrow.

Who knew getting Psyonix to make a racer in Fortnite would get me to download the game for the first time in over 4 years? Well Rocket Racing has been really fun! I recommend it for any arcade racing fan. I tried it on Switch during my lunch and runs well enough, then to PS5. I think I'll stick to playing on there for now.

And a little bit of Splatoon 3 off and on, just dailies really to push the season catalog along.

Happy gaming everyone!

Just trying to decompress after a stressful work week really

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

So I dunno. Been playing a lot of digital board/card games on my phone lately to distract myself for the last two weeks. So maybe more of that, or trying to get back into Wonder which has been sidelined for the last two weeks it feels like. And doing holiday shopping and preparation when I can.

I'm going to continue my replay of Silent Hill 1 on RetroArch. I'm really enjoying it, though weirdly with the DuckStation core I've had some glitches with it that I don't think I've ever had before, including a crash during the church scene. My hope is to beat it and then play Silent Hill 3 after, which I've never played before.

I'm also going to keep playing Thief: The Dark Project if I can get to it, though between anime and studying for my upcoming finals I don't know if I'll get around to it ...

and I'll start the A Rift in Time expansion of Disney Dreamlight Valley.
they have a Ratchet & Clank crossover?

Not sure, just wrapped up a fun one. Maybe try and get back to AI Somnium files. Try and get rolling on a rpg

Strive BABY -

Also I haven't decided what else so enjoy this video -

Ok I should try and play more DQM3. Did anyone get the DLC? Seems like a good time saver if you want to minmax. I'll cook breakfast soon and probably play sone Sonic Dream Team on iPad, DQM3 (on Switch duh), new Ghostrunner 2 stuff on PS5, and maybe Diablo IV on Steam Deck.

Been playing Super Mario RPG for the first time, about 5 stars in I believe, just climbed the beanstalk. Really cute and fun game, interesting to see where all of the other Mario RPGs get their roots from, and the music is gorgeous.

I've been taking a break after playing non-stop for months, but with the Xmas event coming, I want to return to FF14. Officially reached the halfway point of Shadowbringers and then needed to take a break, so here's hoping the bug bites me and I can dive in fully again.

(Trying to look through the rules to see if the discussion of mods is banned or not, let me know if it is and I'll remove this part.) Was scrolling through Twitter before and came across this trailer, and I RAN so fast to download it.

So I played quite a bit today. I first played A Highland Song and beat it after sucking so much and getting lost. I think I need to beat it again though because I obviously didn't get the true ending. Not sure when I will do that though. Played some Pokémon, got at least two shiny Pokémon, finished my living dex so now I'm just missing some mythicals. Played the N64 games, still suck at 1080 just like the 90s. Not sure if I'll keep at it. Jet Force Gemini....oh God I am sure I suck but what are these controls? I have the N64 controller somewhere but I can't imagine it's much better. Don't think I'll keep going with this at all. Harvest Moon 64 oh god I am going to sink too much time on this game I see. Tomorrow will probably be just Harvest Moon until Arkham arrives.

Heyooooo! This weekend I plan on playing Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu! I already finished the Fighting Dojo, and will choose Hitmonchan because my best friend got Hitmonlee (he has Let's Go Eevee, and we'll be trading in order to get version exclusives). He's gonna give me an Abra, since I had trouble catching one, lol. He also already has 120 Pokemon, so he's only missing the version exclusives.

Am also gonna play Smash with my boyfriend~

oh man Rift Apart is so good. Insomniac is on a tear these past few years, it’s like they can’t miss. You gotta play it, pal.
I played the first little bit with my son the other day and was pretty into it. It seems like the perfect snack after gorging on Spidey for 30 hours!

Finally getting back into the rhythm of video gaming an hour or so at night.
Picking up Bayonetta Origins once more. This time, getting a little bit more into it. I'm not sure if I really want to 100% it but I definitely want to finish the main storyline.

Hoping to finish it soon. And then play Persona 5 Tactica to wrap up the year for me.

I played the first little bit with my son the other day and was pretty into it. It seems like the perfect snack after gorging on Spidey for 30 hours!
A snack is the perfect way to describe it. It’s not very long - I was able to get the platinum in seventeen hours.

Been slowly chipping away at it all week, and today I finally finished RE7. I say finally because I have attempted to play this game numerous times throughout the years, but always have to step away after getting too scared. In hindsight though, it’s really only the first quarter of the game that’s scary. It becomes much more akin to what I’m use to from RE towards in the middle.

Going to start with the DLC next. Haven’t decided what my buffer wholesome game will be before I start up with RE8; but I’m very excited to jump into it, so I’ll have to find something short!

Subnautica! Pretty cool so far. Feeling Metroid vibes for some reason. I guess the music and marine life or something:)

30 hours into Octopath 2.

I’m getting into the groove of it. However, I already got all the skills except the events one for the first 4 character I got which means leveling up is no longer exciting. Tried switch the cast around but it’s a drag so I decided to go the first 4 stories and then switch for the other 4 characters. Might be fun that way.

So far tho. It’s pretty decent. The music tho isn’t that memorable. Think Octopath 1 was way better so far. It’s pretty disappointing honestly

I've played through A Highland Song a couple of times, as it's not very long. It's a bit tricky at times, but has some wonderful moments.

Also started playing Tunic. I'm only an hour in, but starting to get a grasp on the gameplay. The whole unknown language and in-game manual thing is quite charming and a very nostalgic recreation of my playing Zelda as a child without knowing English experience. Not sure how to feel about the Soulsy combat, and I'm slightly worried there's going to be a lot of it.

Back
Top Bottom