• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Whatcha Playin’ This Weekend, Fam? |12/15-12/17|

Red Monster

Professional Conversationalist
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
Is it that time already? It sure is! Welcome to the weekend thread! After a week full of work, holiday shopping, family get togethers and other nonsense, we all need a place to decompress and talk about the games we’re planning on playing over the next few days. You all know how it works, so have at it!

I’ve really enjoyed my time off from work this week. I’ve gotten to spend a lot of quality time with my two boys, put the Christmas lights up outside, helped my wife wrap presents, watch lots of Christmas movies, and of course play games. And I plan on continuing that this weekend!

I’ve made decent progress in The Last of Us Part 1, and I’m hoping to make it to maybe the halfway point this weekend. It’s really interesting playing this right after playing the first Uncharted - TLoU is like if you took the gameplay of Uncharted and made it, I donno, better? It’s really good. But I digress. For some reason I decided to go back to Grand Theft Auto III on the PS2 this week, and I’m gonna play a lot of that this weekend. I haven’t played it since high school, but it is every bit as fun as I remember from back then. I’m also in the middle of the first Loco Roco game, which is another nostalgia bomb for me. It’s the perfect bright and cheery game for when I need a break from the grimness of TLoU or the mayhem of GTA3. And finally, I haven’t played Pokemon Crystal Legacy in a few days, and I really should get back to it because whenever I play it, I have a wonderful time.

That’s a lot of games! We’ve got a couple holiday parties to go to this weekend as well. It’s packed! But that’s the fun of the holidays, right?

I hope everyone has a great weekend! Happy holidays, and happy gaming!

Last edited:
I’ll be finishing out Alan Wake II, then immediately starting a New Game + with the difficulty notched up. What a fantastic experience it’s been. Aside from a few hitches over on the Series S, I really have no complaints. The boss I played last night was tough as heck and a fantastic showcase for how frantic and demanding the combat can be in this game. I don’t want to spoil the boss, so here’s a more general GIF of Saga TCB (Takin’ Care of Business):

W6Av4Yl.gif

My Pet Druid’s tear through Diablo II continues. Here’s The Gang wailing on Duriel while I (extremely David Puddy’s voice) support the team:

UwXgWFX.gif

Sometimes Haseen can’t even attack. Too many wolves in the way!

Finally, I’ll be starting Sea of Stars thanks to the generosity of Famiboards dot com. I have managed to learn absolutely nothing about this game other than it seems pretty poised to rock my world, so I’m excited!

I’m now on 35 hours on Octopath. On chapter 3 for 4 characters. And chapter 4 for one other.

I think I’m reaching the point where im unable to unlock skills or whatnot. So now it’s finding equipment and using the Characters abilities to get some strong skills and ally’s

Game is good enough to keep me interested. still think the game is lacking to reach its full potential. It’s good. But I don’t know if it’s a great game personally. Wish the Banter was voice tho

With Spider-Man 2 now complete, I'm back to wrapping up Tears of the Kingdom and Sea of Stars. TOTK is first priority because I've been playing it for so long, and with all of the GOTY celebrations happening I'm afraid of something getting spoiled for me.

I'll be dabbling more with Ratchet on PS5, as well. I finished the second area this week and had a blast.

I've been playing the Nier remake so I'll continue playing it.

Honestly not sure how I feel about it. It's been quite a while since I've played Nier on the PS3 but the experience overall has been very familiar. Like the combat is better but the rest feels about as I remember it, for better and worse. Like I basically have 0 desire at all to do any quests and the dungeons still suck pretty hard, but the rest is good. Basically feels like "what if Nier PS3 had competent combat" which I guess is pretty good but not really as drastic an upgrade as I was hoping for. But maybe it's just been long enough that I'm not picking up on some of the more subtle improvements.

Still playing a re-run of Ys Origin as of now, I'm closed to finished with this session's run with The Claw aka Toal and I've been enjoying playing as both him and Hugo a tad bit more than with Yunica this time around. Still a fun breather and a nice respite from the more involved games I've played this year.

Continuing from that, I'll likely pick up the Another Code demo to familiarize myself with the new gameplay and then go on to dig my fangs back into 13 Sentinels and The Fairy's Song (which I hope I'll have enough time to read this weekend because bloody hell I had none last weekend).

And if it already tickles my fancy, I might go and start playing Gal Guardians: Demon Purge for some Classicvania action.

TLoU is like if you took the gameplay of Uncharted and made it, I donno, better?
I totally get that. That’s exactly what it felt like. (Better story, too.)

Basically Palia :whistle:
Dang, that’s out already? I wanna try it out too.

About my weekend plans: my main order of business is puzzling out the secrets of the solar system in Outer Wilds. I felt like I was wandering aimlessly (to be fair, I kinda was), but after a few choice post mortem logs, stuff clicked and the idea light bulb zaps itself to life. I am determined to finish it over the weekend when I’ll be in the headspace to process it all.

I’ll also be doing my New Game Plus run of Shin Megami Tensei V on the side. The story sucks big-time, which is something I don’t usually complain about so yeah. But the core gameplay is so fun and it is cathartic demolishing those bosses that gave me so much trouble before.

I started Persona 5 Tactica! I'm just glad to be fooling around with the Phantom Thieves again!

On one hand, I think the game could have benefited from having the usual non-chibi art direction. On the other hand, I think the chibi art direction sort of fits with the overall less-serious, comedic story they seem to be going for (so far). It's quite common for tactics games to take a more chibi approach right?

Really fun so far.

Will put more time into Dragon Quest 11s mainly, other than that i'll probably play around with a few other random games as I just picked up a Retroflag controller grip thing

61GSqHNpxrL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

So I want to put it through it's paces and see how it feels/performs

Hey, heyy Fam!

I’ve been on a Pokemon replay in order to complete their respective Dexes and move the Pokemon into the Pokemon Home app.

Right now, I’ve finished Let’s Go Pikachu. I’m only missing a couple of Pokemon before getting that 150/151 completeness~

Am now replaying Pokemon Sword, still at the very beginning with Scorbunny as my Starter (had chosen the monkey on my very first play through). I evolved it into Raboot, and my team is looking like:
• Raboot
• Rookidee
• Zigzagoon
• Shenron (Magikarp, lol)
• Two Pokes I wanna evolve to complete the Dex as I go

—————

Am algo fonna play Smash with my BF xD

Will put more time into Dragon Quest 11s mainly, other than that i'll probably play around with a few other random games as I just picked up a Retroflag controller grip thing

61GSqHNpxrL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

So I want to put it through it's paces and see how it feels/performs
Seems like the perfect time to play more Mario Sunshine!

I read that Trace Memory (DS) was a pretty short game so I want to roll credits on that especially with Another Code: Recollection coming out. This will give me some time to forget what happened narratively before playing through the remake sometime in the middle of next year.

I’ll make some progress in The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA) before circling back to Breath of the Rain.

Finishing Sea of Stars, hopefully. I think I reached the final part/area of the game so I don’t have much left. Was a fantastic experience so far.

After that I’m finally gonna continue Alan Wake 2. Started last week but haven’t had time to play on the big screen. Hopefully the new patch addressed the bugs on Xbox.

With Christmas drawing near, I may not have time for anything. If I do, it’ll be Super Mario RPG.

Recently finished FFVI so now...
  • Hades! Played a lot of it during October and took a break to play FFVI. I still haven't finished the Epilogue so I'll keep doing runs until I finish the story.
  • New game... Wario Land 3! I rolled this for NSO exploration thread and hadn't started. Played a bit yesterday and will put some more time during the weekend.

More Dragon Quest Monsters. Shit's addictive as ever. Grind, grind, fuse, repeat. This is gonna take at least 100 hours of my life.

Also playing: Outer Wilds, Potion Craft, My Time at Sandrock, Fae Farm, Dave the Diver, MK1.

Starting my "when the stars align to do it" holiday tradition of playing the Die Hard of JRPGs: Parasite Eve! Sorry Mario Wonder, you've been sidelined for a bit.

Also wrapping presents and job hunting activities

After a busy week, I’m excited I think I have a calm weekend ahead which means plenty of time for games! I’m juggling three games this weekend. First is the Magia Record fan translation which I need to start Chapter 5 for. Chapter 4 was wild with an unexpected character death and an extra dark turn, so I’m kind of letting it sit with me still. I’m also replaying Tales of Symphonia and just wrapped up the first part of the adventure in Sylvarant which was really great fun. Finally, I did start Octopath Traveler II this week and cleared my first chapter 1. Juggling two RPGs is tough, but I’m eager to get back to it and will start my weekend gaming there.

Diablo 4 started a seasonal character 3 days ago and it's level 56 close to my regular 60 sorcerer granted i fell off D4 but i've getting back into it and BF2042 grinding out the battlepass almost done since i do the weeklies and have enough to buy the next one

A friend of mine was nice enough to gift me Lethal Company because we wanted to play together. I played it for a few hours with them and it was really really good.

It's such a cool take on co-op horror. I already threw out a few voice actor screams. When he got the shovel to protect us from monsters I couldn't help but constantly make Shovel Knight jokes (he hates Shovel Knight). Little did I know the community is already kind of in on this ...

download2.jpg

I’m now on 35 hours on Octopath. On chapter 3 for 4 characters. And chapter 4 for one other.

I think I’m reaching the point where im unable to unlock skills or whatnot. So now it’s finding equipment and using the Characters abilities to get some strong skills and ally’s

Game is good enough to keep me interested. still think the game is lacking to reach its full potential. It’s good. But I don’t know if it’s a great game personally. Wish the Banter was voice tho
Nice! Octopath 1 or 2?

We're oficially in the second half of the month, so it's time to get christmas-y!

...More or less.

Ok, let's see what i have planned for this weekend:

Super Mario RPG
Managed to get through the Nimbus Castle and beat Valentina... And now i have to fight the Axem Rangers!? Honestly, this part of the game has always been exhausting for me, but i want to get through the game before the year ends. Will i be able to? Who knows!

Also, i'm still addicted to the level up dance.

Marvel's Spider-man Remastered
I haven't touched this one in a full week, so it's time to get back to it. This is another one i want to finish before 2024. Last time i played i was thrown another collectible/map icon to my face, wich being almost at 50% through the story is a WTF of epic proportions. The more i play, the more i get DK64 vibes from this game, thank god Miles Morales toned it down...

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
I'm going back to live streaming after a full 3 months far from everything, and i'm doing so with the Christmasvania. I'm checking both No touchscreen patches and Retroarch shaders as i write this.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Yes. AGAIN. Sorry, but it IS a Xmas game, i just don't make the rules.

A grand total of 4 games, so no side dishes at all. I should get on the Indigo Disk Pokémon DLC, but i want to give myself a few cooling days after rushing The Teal Mask. Most likely, i'll start it after the weekend ends.

Time well frigging spent

Also for the people playing Palia: how is it? If it's a decent farm/life sim, then I can use it to scratch that itch til something higher up on my wishlist goes on a nice and chunky sale.

You may not like it if you're sensitive to poor performance. But there's so much to do. You've always got quests, whether it be building your home, hunting materials, fishing, romancing etc. I'm hooked.

Probably will still continue with Slay the Spire and Final Fantasy VI Pixel Remaster. I only started playing Slay the Spire this year, but I'm very surprised how hooked I am on it considering how bad I feel like I am at it.

Edit: Aaaaand I just decided to buy Alan Wake II on Xbox since it's on sale. Will obviously try to give that a shot. Only played some of Control, but other than that I've never really played a Remedy game before.

Last edited:
Already played some Splatoon 1 ranked matches, I'm also back into TotK mainly exploring the sky and the depths. For tonight I'll play something couch coop with my brother, maybe Mario Bros U or Pokemon Rumble U, but not sure yet. I'm also having a Pikmin-itch once more, so maybe I'll finally start the Pikmin 2 port. All in all plenty to play.

But I need to do a lot of uni work and some Christmas shopping as well so it's probably not very realistic 😅

Already played some Splatoon 1 ranked matches, I'm also back into TotK mainly exploring the sky and the depths. For tonight I'll play something couch coop with my brother, maybe Mario Bros U or Pokemon Rumble U, but not sure yet. I'm also having a Pikmin-itch once more, so maybe I'll finally start the Pikmin 2 port. All in all plenty to play.

But I need to do a lot of uni work and some Christmas shopping as well so it's probably not very realistic 😅
On a Wii U kick I see

I'll try to get one of the endings in Infernax. I might grind to max out some stats, because the game is getting very difficult. Really enjoying it though!

I also want to start Dragon Quest Monsters. I played some of the demo and got my full copy this week, so I'm ready to chill out and get cozy with this game for a while.

Been using that Retroflag grip, it’s fine but the right stick/nub is a little bit awkward for games where you need to use it a lot. Also, it’s definitely not as comfy as the Neogrip, I like with the Neogrip you have somewhere to rest your middle finger behind the shoulder buttons.

Overall, the Skull and Co Neogrip is still the best option for playing Switch in handheld for me, I’ll probably return this one and get my money back.

I’m on the cusp of discovering the secrets of the universe in Outer Wilds. I can taste it. So close.

Probably continuing to chip away at Sonic Frontiers. Start one of gigabash’s story modes. See if I can get a rhythm going on a rpg I have started(probably in handheld mode). Maybe jump back into a bit of Theatrhythm and UKMR.

This week I finished Gears 5. Earlier this Fall I played through Gears Of War 1 Definitive Edition, 2, 3, Judgement, 4 and now 5. It’s a series I wanted to play through for a while despite not being very good at FPSes. I was concsrned going in I’d probably have a hard time with it due to that and told myself I’d at least try to get through the first game. Shockingly I didn’t have too much trouble with it! The accessibility options helped a great deal so I was able to finish it and go on to the other games! I feel like I’m the last person in the world to play through those games 😂. I enjoyed the overall story a lot, I have to say enjoyed it more than the Halo games! I really liked the character of Marcus Fenix-Yes he’s your typical FPS bad ass but he’s also got a compassionate and understanding side to him too which was nice to see. We don’t see that side of him much through this series but when we do I felt it was endearing. I likely won’t touch Gears Tactics only because I’m really crappy at strategy games. But, if these rumors of a Gears 6 are true I’ll alnost definitely be there for it!

Last night I started Hot Wheels Unleashed on GamePass! I’m pleasantly shocked so far, it plays and handles pretty good and there seems to be a good amount of content! And it’s just plain fun!

Back
Top Bottom