• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Whatcha Playin’ This Weekend, Fam? |12/1-12/3|

Red Monster

Professional Conversationalist
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
Hey hi hello how are ya and welcome to our weekly weekend thread where we regale each other with tales of our plans for, you guessed it, the weekend! You’ve seen this before, you know the drill, have at it.

I’ve had a busy week, and all the free time I had was spent setting up my newly-delivered AYN Odin 2 and, ironically, not playing any games on it! Which also meant that the games I’ve had going already didn’t get any playtime either. So this weekend I’ll be getting back to The Last of Us Part 1, Pokémon Crystal Legacy, and BIT.TRIP RERUNNER, along with a smattering of random retro games as I continue to test out the Odin 2.

On the non-gaming front, I’ve got to repair my dishwasher this weekend. We’ve been without the dishwasher since last Saturday and the repair part finally arrived, so I’ll be giving that a go tomorrow. I’m not an appliance repairman, but I’ve installed plenty of dishwashers in my line of work, so I know I can handle it, and hopefully everything goes swimmingly and we can get back to not handwashing every single dish we use, which when you have two children adds up to a lot of dishes.

That’s all I’ve got for you today. Have a great weekend, folks!

Hey, remember when I told myself I wouldn't buy any more games this year..?

I54kCEP.png

...I lied. Had to do it for Alan! I'll also be picking up my fourth playthrough of Dragon Quest XI from a few months ago.

I'll probably be busy with the games I got in last few days: Dragon Quest Monsters, Batman Arkham Trilogy (Asylum specifically), Steamworld Build, Turok 3, Gothic II. DQM will probably get the most of my time (it's on pause right now lol)

started playing SaGa Frontier earlier this week with my partner and it rocks so hard. dazzlingly unconventional & bizarre with beautiful world(s) design and all-time-great prerendered visuals. it reminds me of moon more than any other "regular" RPG. haven't felt this consistently lost playing a video game since i was like 10. no real ambition to finish any (let alone all) of its routes but I imagine we'll be poking at it some more this weekend.

also been playing more Theatrhythm Final Bar Line lately, which I think I can say now is my favorite game of the year

I’m having a lot of fun going through The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch) in Normal Mode. Also, I decided to explore as much of Hyrule on horseback. I never took my horse into Tangar Canyon or found the path to the Akkala Region. Previously, I’d just find the stable first then warp my horse into the region. It was cool to see the world in a new way.

Otherwise, I haven’t turned on my DSi XL in a while so I may try to find something on there to play. Super Princess Peach (DS) is a light game I can use as a palette cleanser.

Last edited:
I finally pulled the trigger on buying a "real" gaming PC during Black Friday (I've mostly been rocking Nintendo+"okay-ish laptop/Steam Deck" for a while), so I think I'm gonna put it through its paces with the Holiday Hoarders (aka "your targets are totally not the Wet Bandits from Home Alone") mission in Hitman and maybe bounce around some other things just to get a sense of how they look/run

Then on Switch, I finished the main story in Return to Dream Land Deluxe, so I'll be doing the Magolor story and cleaning up some of the other side content. Also, Tetris 99 since there's an event going on

I think I'll probably finish Fate/Samurai Remnant this weekend. I finished up Chapter 4 last night, so I think I'm getting pretty close to the end. Fun game. I usually fall off Omega Force's games after like 10 hours probably but I've put 25-ish in Fate/Samurai Remnant and I've been enjoying it all the way through. Makes me think I should finally go back and try out Persona 5 Strikers. I think I got it as a Christmas present the year it came out and I never started it lol.

If I finish Fate/Samurai Remnant early I'll start either Mr. Run and Jump or Pizza Tower.

Gonna continue with Tales of the Abyss (which I took a break from for a bit due to a lack of time), and also start playing more of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on my Vita (which I started earlier this week).

Also gonna get the most recent Madden this weekend, which’ll be the first one I got in over 10 years.

With Remant 2 and Wild Hearts in game pass, I'm gonna have a friend make me play them with her online so barring that, I think DQM3 and Hi-Fi Rush replay with the new costume DLC I bought.

On the non-gaming front, I’ve got to repair my dishwasher this weekend. We’ve been without the dishwasher since last Saturday and the repair part finally arrived, so I’ll be giving that a go tomorrow. I’m not an appliance repairman, but I’ve installed plenty of dishwashers in my line of work, so I know I can handle it, and hopefully everything goes swimmingly and we can get back to not handwashing every single dish we use, which when you have two children adds up to a lot of dishes.
Hope it goes well.
Hey, remember when I told myself I wouldn't buy any more games this year..?

I54kCEP.png

...I lied. Had to do it for Alan! I'll also be picking up my fourth playthrough of Dragon Quest XI from a few months ago.

sam-lake-dance.gif

I'll probably be busy with the games I got in last few days: Dragon Quest Monsters, Batman Arkham Trilogy (Asylum specifically), Steamworld Build, Turok 3, Gothic II. DQM will probably get the most of my time (it's on pause right now lol)
Interested in Gothic 2 and Turok 3 on Switch.

started playing SaGa Frontier earlier this week with my partner and it rocks so hard. dazzlingly unconventional & bizarre with beautiful world(s) design and all-time-great prerendered visuals. it reminds me of moon more than any other "regular" RPG. haven't felt this consistently lost playing a video game since i was like 10. no real ambition to finish any (let alone all) of its routes but I imagine we'll be poking at it some more this weekend.

also been playing more Theatrhythm Final Bar Line lately, which I think I can say now is my favorite game of the year
Heck yea Bar Line.
I think I'll probably finish Fate/Samurai Remnant this weekend. I finished up Chapter 4 last night, so I think I'm getting pretty close to the end. Fun game. I usually fall off Omega Force's games after like 10 hours probably but I've put 25-ish in Fate/Samurai Remnant and I've been enjoying it all the way through. Makes me think I should finally go back and try out Persona 5 Strikers. I think I got it as a Christmas present the year it came out and I never started it lol.

If I finish Fate/Samurai Remnant early I'll start either Mr. Run and Jump or Pizza Tower.
I pasued FSR to play when the new update hits. Really good game.

I'm going to finish that there Spider-Man 2 this weekend, I think. I haven't decided if I'm going to go for 100% or not! I'm still having fun so I'm not sure I'm quite ready to swing out of the city.

I also picked up Sonic Origins Plus, so I may hate play the first Sonic the Hedgehog before hate playing CD.

I have work-related seminars to attend to first, then after I’ll probably dive into a new island in Don’t Starve Together with my girlfriend. She’s planning to play around with mods, and I guess I’ll just have to find out what those are when I’m roaming that island. I expect the proliferation of murderbeasts, though.

Once I get some alone time, I’m definitely playing more Shin Megami Tensei V. I want to defeat a certain god of mischief and hopefully add him to my team.

The Last of Us Part One will be played this weekend, 52% complete according to the PS5. Other than that, on my Switch, I may either go back to Dragon Quest 11s or start a playthrough on the first Borderlands.

Happy Weekend Fami!

Well it was Arkham Asylum but since they haven't even shipped it yet I'm guessing it's something else. Maybe Raincode or something else in my backlog.

The Last of Us Part One will be played this weekend, 52% complete according to the PS5. Other than that, on my Switch, I may either go back to Dragon Quest 11s or start a playthrough on the first Borderlands.

Happy Weekend Fami!
You’re definitely farther in TLOU than I am - when last I played, I was in Bill’s town. Have you played the game before? How are you liking it? This is my first time playing TLOU and I’m really enjoying the gameplay, and the graphics are just outstanding, but damn is this world depressing.

I've got lots in my backlog, unopened games, and DLC... but I'm back to playing Diablo3.

I have over 1400 hours played on the Switch version alone. Might be the best game ever made.

I've got a pretty good handle on the Barbarian... made it to GR100+ hardcore a year or so ago. There's a new table in town for character progression I need to learn, and also jumped to the Necromancer for a bit.

iu

Twenty four weeks of Tears of the Kingdom- time flies when you (temporarily) work two jobs and have one giant adventure to explore! I'm so close to a legend's conclusion I can feel it coursing like the dread energy coalescing beneath Hyrule Castle, 4 of the 5 phenomena and most sidequests complete, I'm headed straight for phenomena number five.

tears-of-the-kingdom.gif

Sure, I want to play other games- but I'm honestly just enjoying the journey. I heavily associate me and my wife's time with Breath of the Wild with winter coziness, and Tears is no different, it's perfect to curl up with and enjoy while cold weather keeps us inside.

After repeatedly lying to myself and others about how I'd take a break and play different games, I am still playing and will continue to play Octopath Traveler 2 between errands, job applications and a little work. After 45 hours, I've just completed Throné's story, and have the last chapters for everyone else unlocked, too.

How is DQ XI S going btw, @ITSMILNER? I've been playing a bunch in 2D Mode this round since I've already played a few times, but I gotta say...they should probably let you toggle the voice acting on! Not hearing my main hunk Sylvando is...a detriment.

Been replaying Sonic Mania after going through Origins and Superstar this year. Hydrocity Zone is still one of the best levels ever in Sonic; the contrast of Act 1 being a typical slow water level and Act 2 having this liberating sense of freedom and speed is unparalleled. And that music!

You’re definitely farther in TLOU than I am - when last I played, I was in Bill’s town. Have you played the game before? How are you liking it? This is my first time playing TLOU and I’m really enjoying the gameplay, and the graphics are just outstanding, but damn is this world depressing.

I played the remastered PS4 version back when that came out, it’s interesting playing this after watching the TV series earlier this year, spotting the story beat changes and such. I am enjoying it though it is very depressing a sandbox to be in like you say haha.

How is DQ XI S going btw, @ITSMILNER? I've been playing a bunch in 2D Mode this round since I've already played a few times, but I gotta say...they should probably let you toggle the voice acting on! Not hearing my main hunk Sylvando is...a detriment.

So, I got the end of Act One but kind of fell off of it playing through the intermission missions. After the end of Act One, going into the intermissions felt like the wind had been knocked out of it a bit, determined to go back to it and crack on though.

So, I got the end of Act One but kind of fell off of it playing through the intermission missions. After the end of Act One, going into the intermissions felt like the wind had been knocked out of it a bit, determined to go back to it and crack on though.
I know what you mean, absolutely. I enjoy some of the interludes, but they definitely could have been integrated into the game better. Don’t even fight stuff if you don’t want, just sprint for the checkpoint! And get ready for the best darn slime you ever did meet.

After finishing Tears of the Kingdom last week, I’ve been getting back into Hollow Knight on PC. I left the game hanging back in May when TOTK came out, and while I dabbled a couple times during that time, I didn’t really sink my teeth into it. I literally left the game at about 100% completion.

So last week, I got back into it, and am doing some of the DLC now to hone my skills.

In the meantime, I decided to tackle Quake 1 on Switch as well, but I’ve come to realize fast paced shooters do a number on my motion sickness, and I’m afraid I cannot handle them with a controller. So I hooked up my trusty keyboard and mouse, and fragged my way through the first few levels of Quake like God intended.

Sorry, but Keyboard and Mouse is overall just plain better for FPS, and always will be. Closet we ever got was Wii Motion Controls, and that sadly did not pan out in the long term.

One thing lead to another, and I picked up and started playing Cocoon. I'm only about an hour or so in, but so far I've been impressed by the very strong audio design and unique gameplay. The performance on Switch isn't exactly perfect, but it's playable.

Have to work on Saturday & caught by flu a couple days ago.
So probably will stay in bed & play a couple courses of Mario Wonder.
No much gaming ambition recently.

My main game I’m playing this weekend is Tevi which just released yesterday and I’m already really hooked on. It’s a great Metroidvania from the creator of Rabi-Ribi and is essentially a sequel on the gameplay front. I’m eight hours in with 29% map completion and 14% items so I have a ton to discover still.

If I have time, I’ve completed five worlds in my replay of Four Swords Adventures for my GameCube replay project so I would like to wrap that up. I also have started chipping away at my PS3 backlog and started Ducktales Remastered which I haven’t played before. I’m also hoping to get back to the Magia Record fan translation. Should be a great weekend for gaming!

My main game I’m playing this weekend is Tevi which just released yesterday and I’m already really hooked on. It’s a great Metroidvania from the creator of Rabi-Ribi and is essentially a sequel on the gameplay front. I’m eight hours in with 29% map completion and 14% items so I have a ton to discover still.
I just got that on Steam and played an hour now. Will play more in a few days I think. I forgot it was out this week. I love it so far and probably will buy on Switch to replay.

I just got that on Steam and played an hour now. Will play more in a few days I think. I forgot it was out this week. I love it so far and probably will buy on Switch to replay.
Cool! Switch version seems great btw!

Golly! I'm glad you're asking, i have a nice and pleasurable gaming weekend ahead.

For this weekend though, i have limited my amount of selected games. I've been so busy through the week that i just want to sit back without having to choose anything. I'll just let friday me do the thinking for weekend me:

Marvel's Spider-man Remastered
I'm around 26% into the story now, the game just threw another collectible/side quest to my face, but it's integrated in the plot so it's more or less believable. Still! I just discovered that its best HDR setting is leaving HDR off and let W11's AutoHDR do its thing. I like adult Pete Parker a lot, but kinda miss Mile's naivety.

Super Mario RPG Remake
Reached Monstro Town, got told to fuck back off to World's End, and i'm in World's end now, i keep loving the remake, but somehow it's hard to get the timing every time i switch weapons, wich isn't an issue in the original. Am i bad at reading the clues? Animation kinda feels too fluid lol.

Also, i'll never get tired of the level up dance.

As for the side dishes...

Gran Turismo 7
Weekly challenges yadda yadda, the first one with the Fiat 500 took me TWO whole days because it was more of a car tuning challenge than anything. Whoever designed that one, if you're reading this: I hate you.

Splatoon 3
Got it back! I've missed a ton and pretty sure that my aiming is going to be off by a lot, but it's going to look amazing on the Switch OLED so who cares lol. I missed this game.

I got Infernax on sale last week because it looks like an interesting Castlevania-like game, but you can also make decisions that impact what happens later in the game. Hoping to take some time and try it out this weekend.

I might also revisit the Dragon Quest Monsters demo. It seems like a nice, cozy game, but I haven't decided if I want to buy it now or wait a bit longer.

More Advance Wars 2! Nearing the end of the campaign as it shows 88% complete now on the file select. Although I probably won't be able to finish it this weekend as the battles are starting to take longer and longer in the endgame (not that that is a bad thing though). Just did the volcano level which was really fun. I am really enjoying the one-off new twists they added in AW2 compared to AW1 like the lasers and now the volcano.

Aside from that I already did and might do some more Splatoon 1 ranked battles. My goal is to get to S+ rank before the servers shut down in March. I'm currently S 74 but the competition is super fierce (which is part of the fun tbh).

I got 4 party members in Octopath 2.

Finally makes the game more fun. Don’t know if I should find the rest or continue on the stories.

Hmmm not sure what I’m focusing on game wise. Main pool to choose from(keeping to started stuff), Ryza 1, P3P, AI Somnium files, Sonic Frontiers, Soulcalibur 6 or Ace Combat 7…. Or Sphinx I guess.

Played a little Ikaruga on Xbox BC today, wishing my TV could spin to display vertically. 🥲

I can TATE-ify the GIF, at least.

pF7IOBV.gif

Star Ocean The Second Story R (Switch) with a little bit of Splatoon 3 and Exoprimal here and there.

Not much planned this weekend outside of the house so I'm inside gaming.

Just finished The Last of Us Part One main game, still a great game but man does it make you realise just how society would be if some kind of epidemic happened…….

Will move on and play Left Behind then I think the rest of the year I’ll focus back on DQ11s

Hey, Fam! I finally got my hands on Super Mario RPG, so that's what I've been playing this weekend! It was a gift from one of my best friends~

It's monday over here, so i think it's time for my recap:

First of all, i spent almost all of my saturday's free time playing Marvel's Spider-man Remastered, and the game didn't throw another sidequest/collectible at my face yet, but i'm expecting it to do so through the week. This is starting to feel a liiiiiiiittle bit like DK64, difference being that they aren't necessary to progress. At least for now.

A certain asshole mayor appeared to be the asshole he's always been, and i predict he'll be the final boss, and a certain new gang made its appearance and now the game is getting even busier. Thank god, it plays like a dream and Pete isn't my favorite Marvel hero for anything, but the game just keeps adding more stuff.

Re-purchasing Splatoon 3 meant spending way more time planned with it than i expected. Turns out the Big Run is happening and, as an event, it isn't half bad, but it also made apparent how worse i've become due to lack of practice. I need to play waaay more to recover.

Gran Turismo 7 was business as usual. Nothing to say here

And finally, i reached Nimbus Land in Super Mario RPG after spending an embarrassing amount of time first looking for the Paratroopers (they were beyond the desert) and second trying to reach a beanstalk wich, turns out, couldn't be reached without finding a hidden platform. This part was always a pain in the ass for me in the original game. Let's see how the remake handles it.

And that was it. Week looks busy at least in the first half, so i haven't planned anything yet... Aside of playing Animal Crossing New Horizons, but that's more of a relax exercise than anything.

With Remant 2 and Wild Hearts in game pass, I'm gonna have a friend make me play them with her online so barring that, I think DQM3 and Hi-Fi Rush replay with the new costume DLC I bought.

In the end it was DQM3 + Wild Hearts. Both really fun. If anyone is on the fence about DQM3, try the demo for sure. Wild Hearts is still so good. Deleted Remnant 2 for now.

I’m finding Octopath 2 rather okay. But major thing against it. And it’s more of a me thing.

Is that I wish it didn’t have such Segmented story telling. The way it is, it allows the game to be more open and varied. But for a game like this, I would actually like it a little bit linear. Or rather, story telling wise to be honest.

Gameplay is pretty fun tho.

Back
Top Bottom