• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Whatcha Playin’ This Weekend, Fam? |1/19-1/21|

Red Monster

Professional Conversationalist
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
It’s that time again, folks - time for Famiboards’ Weekly Weekend Thread. Hello, and a very happy, very snowy Friday to everyone! Welcome to the weekend thread. It’s your number one place to talk about the upcoming weekend; we want to know your plans, what games you’re going to play, how much snow you’re going to have to shovel, etc.

This weekend marks the release of a couple high-ish profile games, both of which I’m excited about - Prince of Persia The Lost Crown and The Last of Us Part II Remastered. Are you picking either of these games up? Playing something from your backlog? Maybe a retro game? Let us know!

——————

I’m about ten hours into 13 Sentinels - Aegis Rim, and I feel like I’m starting to get a handle on things at this point. I can remember some of the kids’ names, at least! The story has had a lot of twists so far, and it’s been a lot of fun following along, but the gameplay still doesn’t excite me. The battles are easy and outside of them, there’s not exactly a lot to do outside of listening to people’s conversations. Still, I’m enjoying the experience at least. I’m hoping to make some good progress this weekend.

I’m reluctant to start another game on the Switch while I’ve got 13 Sentinels going, so Prince of Persia is going to have to wait. Instead, I’m going to watch the final two episodes of the HBO TLoU show, then dive in to The Last of Us Part II Remastered. I’ve heard so many things about this game, both good and bad, and I’m extremely curious to finally experience it for myself. I thought Part I was incredible, and I expect no less from the sequel.

——————

That’s all from me. I hope everyone has a great weekend! If you’re experiencing a snow storm like I am in Ohio today, please be safe and drive carefully. Maybe get out there and build a snowman or something, I donno. Have fun!

It's going to be a very rainy weekend around these parts, so I'm staying home and playing a lot of the new Prince of Persia.

Now I’ve gone and done it. I played through Final Fantasy VIII, and the FF fuse is lit once again. Instead of whatever I was playing before, I’m all in on a new playthrough of Final Fantasy XIII. Historically not my fave entry; I always found the combat difficult to follow, among other things. However! Last summer I switched anxiety medications, and it has really helped with my concentration & ability to take in complex stimuli. Playing it now I feel like Neo, seeing the world in code lol. I can comprehend and manage combat with a clarity I simply didn’t have before. Awakening this power has triggered a surprising Paradigm Shift in me: I kind of cannot stop playing this damn video game. Do I…love Final Fantasy XIII now?

Bb3TW9x.gif

Maybe, baby.

I’m also playing some Indiana Jones and the Emperor’s Tomb, and having a good time so far. The gameplay is like a faster-paced, less harsh version of the classic Tomb Raider template. If you have found yourself in an Indy Mood after that Xbox Direct, I’d say it’s worth a look!

The new Prince of Persia! I watched the tips video from Ubi, which really helped me understand more what to look for when exploring and so I will really dive into the game tonight. I also hope to get better at parrying those desperate attacks because a parry looks absolutely badass and failing the parry hurts a lot lol!

Lots of snow where I'm at. Probably staying in as much as possible!

I am very close to finishing The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD! I should wrap that up by the end of today. It felt a bit padded at times, but it's a fantastic game.

Once that's done, I'm thinking of digging into the GBA NSO a bit more. I've been meaning to try Fire Emblem, and now seems like a good time for it.

Continuing my adventures in Final Fantasy V most likely. But with Golden Sun having released this past week, I might take some time to dabble in that a bit.

Since the Golden Sun games were announced for Nintendo Switch Online, I’ve been feeling the itch to complete the whole series. I’ve only completed the first one.

Just starting with the first Golden Sun (GBA). I’m playing my original cartridge out of principle.

Golden Sun! I look forward to putting a serious dent in it tomorrow.

Still need to finish:
Jusant
Like a Dragon Gaiden
Another Code (since I started on the demo)

I'm going to get high and play FFVII Remake tonight. I didn't make a lot of progress this week but the one night I did play it was so hard to put the controller down. I just love what they've done with the combat, giving it just enough RPG to make it feel like they haven't entirely abandoned the genre for a mashy fun time.

I bought The Lost Crown last night and will play that whenever I can! The combat is surprisingly deep, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how they supplement Sargon's repertoire as the game progresses.

Also, I'm collecting conches to get the true ending in Sea of Stars. That will be podcast fodder. 16 to go...

I'll be playing a lot of Final Fantasy XIV. I think by the end of the weekend I'll feel pretty good with the game again and start doing new main quest stuff. I've spent the past few days getting reacclimated with the game after not playing since 2020. I only ever really played Dragoon and Ninja before, and Dragoon is simple enough that I'm pretty much caught up on it I think. Ninja will require some more work. Thankfully I'll only really need one class for now.

Now I’ve gone and done it. I played through Final Fantasy VIII, and the FF fuse is lit once again. Instead of whatever I was playing before, I’m all in on a new playthrough of Final Fantasy XIII. Historically not my fave entry; I always found the combat difficult to follow, among other things. However! Last summer I switched anxiety medications, and it has really helped with my concentration & ability to take in complex stimuli. Playing it now I feel like Neo, seeing the world in code lol. I can comprehend and manage combat with a clarity I simply didn’t have before. Awakening this power has triggered a surprising Paradigm Shift in me: I kind of cannot stop playing this damn video game. Do I…love Final Fantasy XIII now?

Bb3TW9x.gif

Maybe, baby.

I’m also playing some Indiana Jones and the Emperor’s Tomb, and having a good time so far. The gameplay is like a faster-paced, less harsh version of the classic Tomb Raider template. If you have found yourself in an Indy Mood after that Xbox Direct, I’d say it’s worth a look!
I have a deep, nostalgic love for FFXIII. Enjoy it, pal!

Switch - Drainus ( @big lantern ghost play it) until Another Code gets delivered.
iOS - Art of Rally (feels good to have a competent portable version outside Steam finally)
PS5 - Some FFXIV
Xbox - Exoprimal update hit so that when my friends hop on.
Steam Deck - Lost Judgment replay continues.

I’m picking up where I left off in Torchlight, which is in the middle of monster-infested ruins. Thankfully, I have my own gaggle of monsters to pit against them. I LOVE Summoner classes.

For Switch, I’d been keeping folks happy in Bear and Breakfast. Game’s more stressful than I thought it would be, more optimization sim than cozy, but damn I’m enjoying it.

It’s a good thing I wasn’t planning on playing Prince of Persia right away. Game Stop hasn’t actually gotten their shipment yet due to the weather. Crazy.

Given that I put Metroid Prime Remastered on pause due to getting stuck at the Omega Pirate (they should have given the option to lower the difficulty at any point and not just at the beginning. I am seriously doubt I can beat it on normal and it feels such a pain to restart. Brutal boss.), it is Triangle Strategy weekend for me. I am on chapter 18 and very close to the end I feel like. Hopefully I manage to finish it.

Bb3TW9x.gif

Maybe, baby.

i remember ragging on FF13 so hard when i was a foolish teenager without even playing it. i really want to give it a try one day.

Gonna try to pick up Rayman Legends again. I liked what I played but I wasn’t quite in the mood for it right after finishing Persona 3.

I pushed myself a few nights ago and got Diamond II in LoL: Wild Rift which was the highest I've been! The season immediately reset tho and as a result, I am now back to platinum I at the moment so I gotta keep at it.
I was thinking about starting up a new run of Sonic Adventure 2 for funsies though. Maybe even the first as well...or, i could just finally go through Skies of Arcadia if I'm dreamcast bound...
I've also been playing a lot of Soul Calibur 2 for whatever reason, gamecube port specifically though I main kilik. Weapon master mode is as fun as ever and since my partner loves the game too, it's fun to pass the controller when im a little frustrated and see if she can clear it.
However, this time next week...it's infinite wealth time baby.

I plan to primarily continue with Xenoblade Chronicles 3. I'm nearing the end, basically just doing side quests at this point until I feel ready to complete everything. And maybe some Cities Skylines II if I feel like it as well.

Spoilers:
At least I'm assuming I'm near the end. I got to the edge of the vortex and it asked me if I would like to continue, and I declined because I expect that it is a "there's no turning back" moment for the final chunk of the story. So I'll go back and work on getting every Hero and doing whatever side quests interest me until I feel ready to wrap it up (I also feel like I'm probably underleveled for the final area anyway).

It’s been a long couple of weeks of year end reporting at work but we’ve reached the endgame so I can get some quality gaming time this weekend

I’m currently playing Tomb Raider (2013) on Steam Deck and I still love it. 3rd time playing this but it’s been my favourite time thanks to it being on a handheld. I’m close to the end so will likely finish it this weekend.

Not got a Switch game on the go at the moment so was thinking of starting something new on that. I’m torn between Nobody Saves the World or Chicory. I’ll see what I fancy when I pick up the Switch.

Have a great weekend Fami!

Gonna be Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown for most of the weekend, probably. Though I might swap in with Super Mario RPG, which I still haven't completed (I'm like 2/3rds done, I think, QTEs are hard)

I'm continuing with FF16, but it's slow going. If I miraculously have time to start another big game, Alan Wake 2 is next on the list.

It's going to be an Exoprimal (Xbox Gamepass PC) weekend! Season 3 is out and it includes a Monster Hunter collab, including a 10 player raid fighting a Rathalos :D

Not just that though, I'll be continuing Kirby and the Forgotten Land. I got to World 3 and this is absolutely my favorite area so far. I really like the Waddle Dee Town, gives that extra bit of flair for a Kirby hub world in 3D. I'm not rushing through it so it may take me until another week to finish it.

I'd also like to dabble in some demos like The Pedestrian (Switch) and Granblue Fantasy Relink (PS5) but that just depends really.

Last edited:
I'm around 13 hours into Pikmin 4, and I'm still adoring it very much 😀!
I haven't followed any guides whatsoever, so my time management wasn't the most efficient. However, as a complete newbie to the series, I do not mind this. I don't think that I'll finish it this weekend; however, if I do, I want to start Another Code, since it looks absolutely amazing!
On PC Twin Mirror is still waiting for me to finish, while on the Deck DAVE THE DIVER is still unfinished, however I do not have any desire to play with these now...

Snow is falling here and I have two greats to dive into between work shifts- Super Mario Wonder and the city builder Against the Storm. 2D Mario is a soaring and inventive treat (loving the pink clouds of World 2 right now) but sometimes I desire more chill and less platforming, so AOS has me fully committed to charting its rainy depths and verdant forests.

iu

It's super addicting, sort-of-cozy, and I have to actively accomplish work instead of playing hours upon hours. 😂

Given that I put Metroid Prime Remastered on pause … it is Triangle Strategy weekend for me.
Wow, what an incredible combo!

I'm honestly at a loss? I finished two games last week (Harmony: The Fall of Reverie on Monday and Final Fantasy 7 Remake last night after playing nonstop since Chapter 8), which is unusual for me as I finished a whopping 12 games last year. (I also finished the FFXIV 6.55 MSQ which, yawn.)

I'm also waiting not so patiently for Persona 3 Reload.

Obviously I need to slow my roll, but I am very open to suggestions. Don't need to finish anything before the 2nd (I probably have 10-15 hours of good gaming tops), but if anyone can sell me on my current list of unfinished games I'm all ears. I've been enjoying SoS:AWL but that game will definitely be a long haul.

I'm 7 hours into Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean and, despite the somewhat uneven remaster, I'm having a grand time. I said it in the general chat, but there's something about prerendered backgrounds and fixed perspectives that really fit portable gaming. I might continue with that, or start A Highland Song.

I have also updated my Xbox Series S, and downloaded an 18GB patch for Baldur's Gate 3. I'd hoped to start it this weekend and play gradually, but I don't know yet if the save issues are solved, and I also don't have much faith in my ability to get passed the character designer before the weekend is over.

Not that sure actually, I literally finished Rygar today haha.

I may play some Hades since I'm still not done with it, unlocking all hearts is a slow process but I'm still not bored of running through the game.

Maybe I should also finally finish Fire Emblem Engage, I literally stopped before the final boss to grind supports and got bored of that. I'll see if I can muster the patience to finally get that done and clear the game.

If I am able to finally finish Metroid prime today, I am not sure what else. I’m thinking of taking a breather from my backlog and playing what enjoys me, choosing what excites me the most. Maybe play super Metroid for the first time or donkey Kong country.

The backlog has become more of an annoyance as of late

Won't have too much time for gaming this weekend, but I hope I can at least hop on the Blaziken tera raid this weekend as I missed it last time. Already did my research so just need to figure out which builds require minimal resources haha

Wanted to take a moment to highlight Frogsong, which I wound up playing for several hours today. If you are on the hunt for a very cute, very heartfelt game that also has some great options to make things either more accessible or more challenging, look no further! Think I'll finish by the time the weekend is up.

92oK1n1.gif

unZU7Q5.gif

I'm relaxing and enjoying the snowy weather with my family today. I tried Palworld on XSX but it's a little too janky for me. It's early access so I'll let it get some updates under its belt before I try it again.

I'm still working my way through Golden Sun. I just finished the first Light House. My copy of trace memory was delayed because of the snow storm that came through today.

As a bonus, today I made my last student loan payment ever. I was paying $800-$1000 a month the last 4.5 years to get rid of them before my kids were school age (which I succeeded in since my son is only 3).

Yo, Ashley Robins, she was just 14,
When her father mailed a very strange machine,
It was designed to function with her genes!
(She's gonna solve it all 'cause she's Ashley Robins)

So, yeah, Another Code: Recollection.

Ori Blind Forest for me. It finally clicked last weekend. I need to go to the fire mountain now, but I have all the upgrades already, so I think I'll just visit every spot of map I couldn't reach previously and get myself a boatload of upgrades before I continue on the main path.

I’m not really sure I’ll actually have any time for games this weekend unfortunately and the free time I have I’ll put towards watching the end of AGDQ. I did finish Octopath Traveler II this week so I’ll be moving on to all new games if I get the chance. I’m interested in starting Fashion Dreamer next and then I’m either playing Another Code or Prince of Persia alongside it.

Finished metal wolf chaos this week. Working on Metroid prime remastered, toying with the Yohane demo, might start lad7 or get back to a rpg I started already

Actually have the weekend off this week due to cold weather shutting down the resort I work at. Might finally jump into Turbo Overkill.

Given that I just played three classic Playstation platformers back to back with Crash: Warped, Spyro the Dragon and Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus, I'm thinking it's time to take a break and continue playing Prey 2017. I didn't like the first hour and a half much but once I realized what you can do with the Glue Gun I was awestruck. Probably going to be restarting it as it was a bit too overwhelming to enjoy the intro originally and I'm only two hours in.

I just picked up my copy of Another Code Recollection after work today, and I’m definitely excited to check it out..!

…buuuut the bulk of my gaming time this weekend is going to be continuing my playthrough of Persona 5 Tactica! The fact that I just started the game last weekend and I’ve already spent almost ten hours playing it is (for me) a pretty good indicator that, yep, I like it a lot! The gameplay hits the right balance of keeping me engaged without feeling overwhelmed, and while the overall story hasn’t really hooked me yet, I still adore the Phantom Thieves as a group and love their interactions.

Well, I’m trying to take a break from Slay the Spire. Played a good chunk more of Octopath II, but also picked up Xenoblade 3. Then there’s Final Fantasy XVI…need to focus on something, especially considering FF VII Rebirth is next month. So much to play, so little time.

Cleared the main story line for Pokemon Violet DLC but going to spend the weekend wrapping up the last bits of the DLC. Catching the remaining Pokemon and such. After that, I should be satisfied to put the game down (and to pick it up again for raids with friends).

Might get started on the first of the Atelier Ryza game too.

Ori Blind Forest for me. It finally clicked last weekend. I need to go to the fire mountain now, but I have all the upgrades already, so I think I'll just visit every spot of map I couldn't reach previously and get myself a boatload of upgrades before I continue on the main path.
Love seeing this! This is a game that took so e time to fully click for me too and I came to love it. Now an all-time fave for me. The sequel is incredible, too, and feels enough like its own thing that the first game still stands on its own to me.

Catching some of Snackworth's legendaries in Pokémon Scarlet: The Indigo Disk and hopefully making progress on my pokedex.

After all of the action games I've been playing lately it's time to wind down with something quiet and comfy. Another Code: Recollection should be perfect for that.

Finished Frogsong! Now I'm playing a little more Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb. Been a bit of a depressing week for me, but every time Indy takes a shotgun blast to the face and is no worse for wear except for his hat flying off, I laugh out loud at my TV.

I’m 20 or so hours on Trails of Zero. And I think it’s finally finding it’s space (chapter 3)

So much world building and learning how the game is structured (gameplay and narratively) was making it a slog.

But im Enjoying it now more.

Just rolled credits on Tomb Raider, love that game and it still holds up.

Might actually start playing Dishonored Definitive Edition tonight, that or one of my backlog of Switch games.

Back
Top Bottom