• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Whatcha Playin’ This Week, Fam? |1/12-1/14|

So I picked up Final Fantasy VII Remake after not touching it since April 2020. I left off in Wall Market so I ... well, the Honeybee Inn dance sequence was really something.

I was looking for a game to finish before P3R and ... guess this is it?
That was quite the chapter!

After finally getting 100% completion in Pikmin 2 last weekend and rolling credits on Mario RPG Friday night, I decided to skip ahead in my backlog and start up Persona 5 Tactica! I’ve been itching to play for a while, especially after receiving it as a very generous Christmas gift and letting it sit on my shelf for weeks, taunting me while I finished my then-current playthroughs.

I’m only a few hours in, but I think I’ve mostly made it through the tutorials and so far I’m really enjoying it! The art style is very charming and the voice acting is great as ever :)

It always warms my heart to see someone get into Pikmin for the first time. 4 is a great starting point for the series. I have a feeling you will find more and more to love as you continue to explore the game and series.

Thank you very much for your kind words, I can't wait to go more deeply into the game!

I’ve hardly spent any time playing games this weekend at all so far. Last night I fell asleep on the couch at 9:30 and apparently stayed there all night. It’s tough getting old, folks.

I just beat Ni No Kuni 2 on Switch. I played and platinumed it on PS4 back in 2017 but I never played the DLC. I just did a two week marathon with the game and wrapped up the story and DLC this morning.

I'm going to play (and hopefully beat) The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap on NSO before the Golden Sun duo drops later this week.

I’ve hardly spent any time playing games this weekend at all so far. Last night I fell asleep on the couch at 9:30 and apparently stayed there all night. It’s tough getting old, folks.
I don't think I ever fell asleep with a controller in my hands before becoming a dad. 😂 I feel you.

Thanks to some fitful sleep through the weekend, I’ve managed to finish Chained Echoes! I admit I rushed a bit so that I’d be ready for Golden Sun this week 👁️ 👄 👁️ But it was great!

I think part of the problem is that 13 Sentinels doesn’t really feel like much of a game, and despite its cool story, it’s hard to feel compelled to play it for long sessions. And since it’s the only game I’ve got going, there’s not a lot of motivation to play this weekend.

Oh my god you finished before me LOLOLOL
😄 I ended up leaving some side stuff on the table, but I just couldn’t sleep! So I watched the winter storm raging outside of my window and played an absolute shitload of Chained Echoes lol. You’re wrapping up all the side stuff right?

I think part of the problem is that 13 Sentinels doesn’t really feel like much of a game, and despite its cool story, it’s hard to feel compelled to play it for long sessions. And since it’s the only game I’ve got going, there’s not a lot of motivation to play this weekend.

I played 13S like I played P5R: in longer sessions on the couch (especially while making dinner / doing light housework) and then not at all for days. Best consumed in short bursts.

metroid dread.

I think I just passed mid-game, I just beat the third boss and now heading to a whole new area.

I'm enjoying it a lot.
I’d say you’re almost to the halfway point. There’s an event that happens that I consider the true midpoint, and you’re getting there.

Glad you’re enjoying the game!

Baten Kaitos HD

Heading towards the old library. Its still a blast, despite some turns being a bit of a bust.

Stranger of Paradise FF Origins

Bulls- hey, that’s pretty good! The story is absolute doo-doo, but the game itself is pretty fun. Quick to learn, fun to play and the ability to choose between performance and resolution is great.

I've been playing Final Fantasy XVI when I have the chance the last couple of days. And well, the it's-not-an-RPG folks were kinda right -- it's not any more an RPG than any other modern semi-open-world Action-Adventure game, like Assassin's Creed or Horizon ZD/FW or God of War, and arguably even less so than most of those.

That said, it's still recognizably Final Fantasy in design, story, and presentation.

My weekend report - this was a great weekend for games! I was very happy I finished Arc 2 Chapter 6 of the Magia Record fan translation which is going to be my stopping point for now. Chapter 6 was easily the best chapter of Arc 2 so far as it wrapped up threads set up all the way back in Arc 1 with Felicia being forced to remember and confront her role in the death of her parents by Yuna which wrapped up well with all of Felicia’s friends supporting her. It also had a surprising major development with Ikumi sacrificing herself to destroy the offshoot Mirrors witch though I am unclear if she actually died despite…uh…dissolving (it’s complicated lol). Whenever Another Story Chapter 6 is translated by the fan group, I’ll be eager to continue the story with it and into Chapter 7 (which is already done).

I also made awesome progress in Octopath Traveler II. I finished every optional dungeon except for the Infernal Castle which I looted, but did not defeat the boss in. I got frustrated there since I didn’t understand the new mechanic and was stuck in a stalemate for a good length where we couldn’t really hurt each other, so I decided I’d swing back later if I want to. More importantly, I finished all eight character stories! My last one I finished was my initial character, Hikari, so my epic journey there is finally done. Once I wrap up the stuff that just opened up, I’ll take on the four team up chapters and move on to the end of the game. I’m hoping I’ll be able to do that this week so I can move on to all new games next weekend!

Like I said yesterday, not a ton of playtime this weekend. I think I played an hour of 13 Sentinels on Friday night, and that was it. It was a pretty busy weekend for us, and then in the evenings, the free time I do have I’ve been giving to the TLoU show. But I’ll be wrapping that up this week, and I should have more time not just for 13 Sentinels, but there’s a couple big games coming in the very near future. Prince of Persia and TLoU Part II Remastered both drop this week, and I don’t know which I want to play first!

In the end, I played from the start of chapter 9 to the side quest opening of chapter 14 in FF7R. dang. Might even finish today with a long weekend

Didn't get to play Bayonetta Origins after all since I finished Humanity and then decided to wrap up Jedi Survivor and Jusant. Humanity is fantastic. SW and Jusant were nice but really janky, especially the former, yet I still enjoyed them for the most part. In a single weekend my 2023 playlist has been halved.

Didn't get to play Bayonetta Origins after all since I finished Humanity and then decided to wrap up Jedi Survivor and Jusant. Humanity is fantastic. SW and Jusant were nice but really janky, especially the former, yet I still enjoyed them for the most part. In a single weekend my 2023 playlist has been halved.
That sounds like a great gaming weekend! Jusant is something I’d really like to try, if I can find the time. And seeing you post about Humanity made me want to give it a go in VR. It’s on sale on Steam, but again, I just don’t have the time! I guess it’s good to have too many games to play, but at the same time it doesn’t feel good sometimes.

Not sure if it was an intentional typo in the thread title, but I'm rolling with it and telling y'all what I'm playing all this week, and what I have been playing the weekend just gone. 😅

Fire Emblem (aka The Blazing Blade) on GBA NSO, baby. I took my new Switch Lite on a trip to Riga, Latvia, and while I didn't actually use it while I was trudging through glorious snow at temperatures as low as -20c (so pretty though!)... it was great on the long journey by plane and trains back. I love how easy it is to "Switch" between consoles too... My save data was already uploaded from the Lite and downloaded to my OLED without me even being aware of the process.

It's a sweet strategy game I played but didn't beat "back in the day". The "classic feel" filter looks great in handheld and blown up on a big screen.

I've got further time off work using up my holiday allowance so I'm putting together some flat pack furniture, doing some household chores, and putting some serious hours remembering and then immediately misremembering a simple weapon triangle. 😂

Last edited:
That sounds like a great gaming weekend! Jusant is something I’d really like to try, if I can find the time. And seeing you post about Humanity made me want to give it a go in VR. It’s on sale on Steam, but again, I just don’t have the time! I guess it’s good to have too many games to play, but at the same time it doesn’t feel good sometimes.
Thinking about it some more there's some late stages that I imagine to be a bit of a hassle with VR simply because they can be quite tricky to figure out. But most of them should be fine and the "chapter end" stages should look amazing. If you ever get it, don't hesitate to switch to pancake mode when necessary.

I almost finished Doom 3, but the game has a game breaking bug in the Delta Labs area, so unless you have a save for a previous level you'll need to restart the whole game. What's worse is that apparently it's a known bug that id/bethesda never cared to patch.
So if you're planning to play Doom 3 don't interact with the broken elevator before you reboot the system in the Delta Labs area!

I also finished FAR: Lonely Sails. A nice little game that needed a bit more meat on its bone since it's only 2 hours long. The concept is great, but ends the moment it becomes actually interesting. I would still recommend it.

I'm currently playing Blasphemous 2. The first one was great and so far the sequel feels even better.

Back
Top Bottom