• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Whatcha Playin’ This Week, Fam? |1/12-1/14|

Red Monster

Professional Conversationalist
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
Hello, and welcome to the weekly weekend thread. It’s your one-stop-shop for all things weekend, gaming, and weekend gaming! Tell us about what cool games you want to play this weekend, and read about all the cool games everyone else wants to play.

——————

My gaming schedule this weekend is pretty light. I’ve got just one game going right now, and that’s 13 Sentinels - Aegis Rim. I’m out of the prologue and into the actual game now. I’m liking it a lot more than I thought I would. Hopefully I’ll start to remember some of these characters’ names soon, though! There’s thirteen of them and they’re all Japanese names! It’s tough. I’m sure I’ll get there though.

The rest of my free time will be taken up with the TLoU HBO show, which has been simply incredible. It’s a real treat to be able to watch a show like this after having just played through the game.

Aside from all of that, we’re supposed to be seeing some friends tomorrow and getting our kids together. It seems like it’s impossible to get together when you have young children, because someone is always sick. But this weekend, no one is sick*! So that’s good.

*That we know of

——————

That’s all I got for you. Have at it. Stay safe everyone, and have a great weekend!

Honestly, it’s difficult for me to answer this because I have plans to play games then pivot on a whim like I did last weekend with Portal 2 which ended up being an all-time game for me so that’s certainly one way to start the year off.

For now, I’ll say Trace Memory (DS) and more testing for Zephyr’s Pass (GBC).

Finally gonna wrap up P3P over the 3 day weekend, I'm very close to the final boss.

After that, I think I'm gonna play Rayman Legends after there was some buzz about it earlier.

Sadly nothing new. I don't have backlog and nothing to play other than the usual fighting games. Every January is like this, there's a small drought where no major release is dated.

I'll either replay something or buy a previously skipped game. Last year I skipped Atelier Marie remake due to not so bright reviews, I might get it after all. I'm hungry for more Gust goodness...

Probably gonna finish up my FFVII Remake replay tonight, maybe tomorrow. And after that I'm gonna move on to a replay of the Yuffie DLC lol. Will probably spend a little time with TotK too.

I started FFVII Remake last weekend and have been enjoying it in small pieces over the past couple of days. I should be approaching the second Mako Reactor (unless the remake throws another curveball after having me eat pizza with Jessie's mum). I'm looking forward to that and adding Aerith to the party soon, I assume!

Meanwhile, on the Switch, I entered the final dungeon of Sea of Stars. My brother is pushing me to go for the true ending after I'm done. We shall see! I want to wrap this up before Prince of Persia next week, which will become my immediate number one priority until it's complete.

It's going to be -10 degrees where I'm at all weekend so here's hoping that leads to a lot of time to play these wonderful games. Have a good weekend, all!

So I have here and there been chipping away at a 17 hour long “all cutscenes full movie” of Final Fantasy XVI and I’ve been wondering whether or not to hold out for when I have saved up for a PS5 to continue it then.

Thing is, I find the story so intriguing that I’m eager to see it through now, so I might push for those final 7 hours after all.

Chained Echoes.
IXdEU6K.gif

I’m a lot farther than that GIF at this point, but still have a ways to go. That’s not a complaint! I’ve been having a great time with it, impressed with how its story and systems continue to gradually and confidently unfold. I was going to finish it before starting any long ass games butttttt

7sF0tZF.png

I have also begun a fresh run of Elden Ring, in hopes of finishing it this time! That’s my new character, Ron. He’s been transported to a world without Pabst Blue Ribbon and he is mad as hell about it. I only played enough to get started / unlock the mount, so I’ve got approximately 162 hours left to go. Last time I got a little past Radahn. Wish me luck.

It is clean up weekend. Winter storms outside so I'm staying inside.

-Wild Arms (PS5)- I think I am getting somewhat close to finishing this.
-Splatoon 3 (NSW)- A little over halfway through the campaign.
-Gears of War 2 (Xbox)- Not too far in, but the game is fairly short
-Donkey Kong Country 3 (NSW)- I probably won't finish the game this weekend. Slowly working through it.

That and the NFL playoffs. I am set this weekend.

More Future Redeemed for me, though I'm kinda busy with building furniture this weekend, so I think I'll keep gaming to a minimum.

I tried out the new Prince of Persia demo, it was really cool but short. I love the movement! I'm currently playing BOTW and I'm thinking about Pikmin on the side while I play BOTW. Definitely gonna fit MK8DX online in there.

Yes! Just don't sleep
What wise advice!

I was on the verge of finishing Chained Echoes but work has given me a thorough beating, and I don't want to finish such a fantastic game while I'm feeling defeated from exhaustion. I'll probably be just watching some TV shows and anime, and if I feel like gaming I'll probably go and play a roguelike. Gungeon, Slay the Spire, Zombie Rollerz, Ironcast, Into The Breach... I have a whole slew of options.

- On PC/Steam Deck: Halo Combat Evolved. A goal I have for this year is to fill in some of my bigger gaming blindspots, and a subgoal of that is playing through the entire Master Chief Collection. My only prior experience with Halo is a couple local multiplayer sessions in I think Halo 3 in a friend's basement years ago, so I'm starting at the very beginning with pretty much no knowledge or expectations. About an hour in and so far it's ... OK, I guess. Like, I'm not exactly being blown away, but I'm also trying to bear in mind the "Seinfeld is unfunny" factor where this probably hit a lot harder when it was new. Or maybe the game just takes a bit to find its footing. One thing that's been interesting so far is this version has the "toggle between old and new graphics with a single button" feature, and I'm genuinely not sure which I prefer sometimes; the "new" graphics are very much in that peak X360 style with objectively more detail while also feeling kind of generic, washed out, and artless, and I actually think sometimes the older graphics look more striking in some ways (the lighting feels more thought-out, for example)

- On Switch: Curse Crackers - For Whom the Belle Toils. To give a sense of how bad my backlog has gotten, I've been meaning to get around to this since Giant Bomb did a quick look of it back in (checks notes) August of last year. Anyway, I put about 30 minutes into this last night and so far it rules. You ever load up a platformer and from the word "go", everything just immediately feels right? That's Curse Crackers all over. It's one of those retro throwbacks, refreshingly styled after the Gameboy Color aesthetics rather than yet another NES-like, and the only way I can describe the movement in this game is kinetic-as-heck in the best way

Probably will also play some Splatoon and Smash this weekend because of the splatfest and spirit event going on

I played a little Smash Bros Ultimate earlier to get the new Spirits (as well as Metroid Queen and Fury Bowser), but this weekend is mostly going to be about Dredge. Having a great time so far.

I will be playing Metroid Prime Remastered (I just got the flamethrower and at least I want to finish the Phazon Mines and collect more artifacts. It is my first time playing and my understanding is I am close to the end, so I will try to finish it this weekend) as well as Triangle Strategy (I do not recall if I was at chapter 11 or 12, but the game is great and I am hooked, particularly with the story. So far, it is a Top 5-3 Switch game for me.)

PS5 - Granblue Relink demo and Iceborne.
Steam Deck - Witcher 3.
Switch - Prince of Persia demo.
Xbox - KOF XV.
iOS - World of Goo Remastered on Netflix Games.

Events and clean up this weekend. There's the 7-Star Blaziken raid in Pokémon Scarlet/Violet as well as the Splatfest in Splatoon 3.

I'm on the cusp of "beating" F-Zero if I can git gud enough to clear Fire Field without blowing up. It's skill-checking me pretty hard right now I have to admit.

Super Mario Bros 2 has been my "play a few levels before work" game this week and last. Just finished World 6.

For the first time in a while, I'll be playing Super Smash Bros. Ultimate to collect the new spirits. Then I'll likely play some more Final Fantasy V. I might also start either Resident Evil 4 (remake) or Final Fantasy VII Remake: Episode Intermission.

grabbed the Undertale DLC for Groove Coaster so i'll be digging into that a bit. honestly not sure I love Groove Coaster on the Switch? something about it feels pretty distinctly off, and until you get to the really difficult stuff that is beyond my skill level, way too many charts just consist of tapping out eighth and sixteenth notes for two minutes straight. looking forward to the Undertale stuff regardless lol!

otherwise still poking at FFVIII (which I am really loving, we're just past the train heist section in Timber—amazing stuff) and ZeroRanger (one of the coolest games ever tbh)

I wrapped up playing Jusant (Steam Deck) last night so I’m going into the weekend with no current games on the go. I think I’m going to start playing Tomb Raider (Steam Deck) tonight, the first of Crystal Dynamics trilogy, I played this twice before (X360 and PS4) but I’m excited to play it again on a portable.

I might also look to start playing Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition (Switch) which I’ve had since it launched but barely touched haha.

Have a great weekend Famifriends!

I've been back in to Stardew Valley again -- I started a new file on it last year after I finished Zelda and got halfway through Summer season. Got the itch to play again recently and kept going on the same file, in the start of Fall now. Between that and NFL playoffs I'm pretty well set. We're in a brutal cold snap here right now (-35 C all weekend) so definitely not doing much outside of the house other than necessities.

It's a long weekend here and Nintendo has a bunch of events going on right now. So I'm planning on gritting my teeth and getting inked to death in Splatoon 3's Winterfest, crashing & burning in F-Zero 99 winter courses, and/or collecting some spirits in Smash Ultimate.

Otherwise, I think I may dip back into Parasite Eve given the extra day and see if I can push through Day 4 or do some more Event Stages in Mario Maker (Wii U)

There's a few 2023 games I started that I wanna wrap up in the next few weeks:
  • Bayonetta Origins
  • Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
  • Humanity
  • Jusant
  • Bomb Rush Cyberfunk
  • El Paso, Elsewhere

My priority is currently Humanity, since I'm nearing the end, as well as Bayonetta Origins since it's really good.

I'll play some of Splatoon 3 because of the splatfest though I'm not sure how long I'll play tbh.

I've mainly been playing Deathloop (PS5) as that is next in my backlog list. It's been pretty enjoyable! The motion control options they added are pretty robust and even include flick stick, which was a pleasant surprise. The only thing that sucks is that every now and then you'll encounter a bug where you get stuck in the menu....I wonder if they actually fixed this on the Xbox version.

Oh, I've also been getting more into Kirby and the Forgotten Land. I got it during the recent holiday digital sales back in November but I've just started playing more. Finished the first world and onto the second, it really is amazing how HAL was able to translate Kirby to 3D so effortlessly.

Will be bouncing between these two over the next week or so.

Might finish 100%ing Pikmin 2, I've done everything in the first 3 areas, but haven't touched the last one yet.

Besides that, something with a friend, but not sure what yet. Boom Street Wii has a pretty decent chance though

I'll play some of Splatoon 3 because of the splatfest though I'm not sure how long I'll play tbh.

I've mainly been playing Deathloop (PS5) as that is next in my backlog list. It's been pretty enjoyable! The motion control options they added are pretty robust and even include flick stick, which was a pleasant surprise. The only thing that sucks is that every now and then you'll encounter a bug where you get stuck in the menu....I wonder if they actually fixed this on the Xbox version.

Oh, I've also been getting more into Kirby and the Forgotten Land. I got it during the recent holiday digital sales back in November but I've just started playing more. Finished the first world and onto the second, it really is amazing how HAL was able to translate Kirby to 3D so effortlessly.

Will be bouncing between these two over the next week or so.
You're in for a treat with Kirby! There's a lot more good stuff to come there.

I'm on Chapter 2 of the FFVII Remake DLC, enjoying playing as Yuffie.
Once that's done, back to Greedfall and going to give Alan Wake 2 a blast, I loved the original (and Remedy in general).
I should go back and finish Metroid Prime:Remastered as well.

I was gonna start Lies of P (Xbox Series S) but I've got a heavy cold and feel kinda rubbish, so holing up in bed with my Switch and hot drinks instead.

Playing some more Pokémon DLC (just finished the Teal Mask story) and have started Oracle of Ages on NSO.

Some Metroid prime remastered for sure! May try to dip back into metal wolf chaos

Wanna dig into a rpg. Got Ryza and FFIX started. Tho Like A Dragon keeps tempting me

I'm playing the Mass Effect games for the first time (Legendary Edition on Steam). The first one was really good, but people were NOT kidding about ME2. It absolutely rocks! The mission variety is outstanding!

I'm also just now working my way through the Pokémon Scarlet dlc. I wanted to finish Part 2 before the epilogue released the other day, but work and sickness got the better of me.

Played Smash to get the spirits. Played the epilogue of Violet, and then spent more time than I planned on 20 minutes till Dawn. Still prefer Vampire Survivors but until the DLC/new update hits Switch it'll have to do.

Back to Skyward Sword HD this weekend. Gonna try and get the 2nd dungeon done, maybe the 3rd as well.

It's been a while since I've played a more traditional 3D Zelda, and Skyward Sword feels like it has a lot more personality than BotW or TotK. So much of my time in the latter two was spent aimlessly running around, unlike Skyward Sword, where the world feels a lot more alive. It's cool how I frequently run into quirky NPCs while advancing the main story.

I don't mean any of that as a knock on BotW or TotK. Just pointing out that they do things differently. After becoming accustomed to the BotW template, Skyward Sword is reminding me that the older styles of Zelda still have lots of interesting elements.

Still slowly playing the same games as last weekend, Octopath Traveler II and the Magia Record fan translation. I’ve made great progress in Octopath Traveler II as I’ve wrapped up three of the eight character stories (Throné, Castii, and Agnea) so hopefully I can wrap up the rest and clear more optional dungeons to prepare for the finale. Magia Record I’m in the same spot as I ended last weekend where I’m an hour into Chapter 6. I had intentions to finish it this week, but ultimately was always just a tad too busy to block off uninterrupted hours. Hope to make some progress this weekend if not finish it.

Beyond games, I’m nearing the end of Dragon Quest Dai which I’ve been watching off and on for years and AGDQ starts this weekend! Just ten episodes left for Dai so I’m very close to the end! Both of those might pull me away from games this weekend.

Phew. The return to Elden Ring has been a little rough 😂 Ron is getting his ass handed to him out there. It’s been a while since I’ve been able to crack a Souls game, as much as I like them. I hope I haven’t peaked!

Outside the Frosty Fest event in Splatoon 3, I'm probably going to finish up Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. Thought I was going to finish it up last night, but that fifth case is long.

Last edited:
Pokemon Violet DLC! Now that the epilogue has dropped, I think I'm going to blast my way through the storyline. I heard that the new teams I will face will be significantly more challenging but... with my fully drugged up team of lvl 100 favourites, I should survive, right? Right?

Also with the latest Blaziken tera raids, it is fun to play with a bunch of friends, doing dumb BBQs and creating disaster sandwiches.

40ecc8f28a96837c2a8135f99c1768888863b0ec.jpg

For all its technical flaws, Pokemon Violet is still really fun when things click. The real treasure are all the friends you make along the way.

So I picked up Final Fantasy VII Remake after not touching it since April 2020. I left off in Wall Market so I ... well, the Honeybee Inn dance sequence was really something.

I was looking for a game to finish before P3R and ... guess this is it?

I started playing Pikmin 4 yesterday, and I'm already in love with this title! This is my first introduction to the series, so I still need to get accustomed to the controls and the whole general idea, but I think the numbers speak for themselves: I managed to play it for 3 hours straight, and this is insanely rare for me nowadays...

I started playing Pikmin 4 yesterday, and I'm already in love with this title! This is my first introduction to the series, so I still need to get accustomed to the controls and the whole general idea, but I think the numbers speak for themselves: I managed to play it for 3 hours straight, and this is insanely rare for me nowadays...
It always warms my heart to see someone get into Pikmin for the first time. 4 is a great starting point for the series. I have a feeling you will find more and more to love as you continue to explore the game and series.

Been smashing out gamepass with my brother before it runs out. Forza, Remnant, Wo Long, not games I'd normally jump on, But anything with multiplayer we are giving a try.

Finally got my own copy of GOW Ragnarok and doing a replay. Also playing dark souls remastered.

Looking forward to Spiderman 2/ FF7R2 and bunch and other stuff. Very much looking forward to early year game showcases to.

I ended up dropping Pikmin 4 sadly. Got about half way in a stopped enjoying myself. Don't like the auto targeting at all and really miss having 3 characters to multi task with and having a meaningful time restriction and I'm very over the repetitive dungeons and the night mode isn't that engaging to me. Had some good fun with the first few areas, I know the post game will be closer to what I want, but I will leave it on the back burner.

Back
Top Bottom