• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion What would you want from a hypothetical Super Mario Maker 3?

GPKs3

Koopa
hero-image.fill.size_1200x1200.v1623385580.jpg

With the Super Mario Bros Wonder Direct hitting in less than 24 hours and the thread asking for your favorite 3D Mario, it got me thinking. What could Nintendo provide creators/players in a 3rd entry? The 2D entries have pretty much been covered with the exception of SMB2(Japan & USA) and the GB games.

Super Mario 3D Maker perhaps? Would tools/assets based on some of the 3D games be plausible? It would certainly be a tall order as Nintendo would need to make it as accessible and intuitive as the first 2 games. Can it be done or do you think Mario Maker has hit a wall?

What would you want to see?

Let me tell you as someone who works in 3D animation professionally: I don’t think I’d trust even Nintendo to figure out how to make 3D Environment Creation feasible on a video game controller.

I think Super Mario Wonder stuff would be a must, and I’m a freak who would like, for example, Super Mario Land/Land 2 styles in there too. Yoshi’s Island style? I can dream

The biggest thing I’d want for Super Mario Maker 3 is more input choices. Game Builder Garage allowed users to connect a USB Mouse for input, and I think that’d be a must for Maker 3. This is a much bigger ask as I’m asking for a hardware thing here, but an Apple Pencil-like pinpoint stylus would also go a long way in making the Super Mario Making go much smoother.

Let me tell you as someone who works in 3D animation professionally: I don’t think I’d trust even Nintendo to figure out how to make 3D Environment Creation feasible on a video game controller.

I think Super Mario Wonder stuff would be a must, and I’m a freak who would like, for example, Super Mario Land/Land 2 styles in there too. Yoshi’s Island style? I can dream

The biggest thing I’d want for Super Mario Maker 3 is more input choices. Game Builder Garage allowed users to connect a USB Mouse for input, and I think that’d be a must for Maker 3. This is a much bigger ask as I’m asking for a hardware thing here, but an Apple Pencil-like pinpoint stylus would also go a long way in making the Super Mario Making go much smoother.
Yoshi's Island completely slipped my mind.

It's been done before. Dreams recently

It's been done before. Dreams recently
I haven’t played Dreams, but is it as easily picked up by casual creators as Mario Maker? I believe the whole design ethos around Mario Maker was that “you just draw the level on the screen.” The moment you’ve gotta sculpt something in 3D, you’re going to scare a lot of casual audiences away.

1. Mario Wonder theme
2. Full Zelda and SMB2 themes
3. Heavy expansion of NSMB and 3D World themes
4. Perfect netcode for multiplayer
5. More multiplayer modes (eg, Mario 35 like mode)
6. Nintendo created multiplayer focused levels
7. ML assisted level-building (eg, you ask for how to build an obstacle and it gives some suggestions)
8. Sync with tablets to build on tablets
9. Level similarity detector that allows Nintendo to filter popular courses to encourage variety
10. Easy Super World searching
11. Expanded Super World build options
12. Friend leaderboards for level speedruns

And a lot more, none of this will happen as MM3 is unlikely to happen.

Yeah, I'm not really sure where Mario Maker can go from 2. Looking at the average quality of user-created 2D levels, I wouldn't really be optimistic about making the jump to user-created 3D levels which are inherently more complex and harder to get right.

Everything I can think to add would probably be doable as an update or DLC for Mario Maker 2. Like, a Mario Land 2 theme was my most-wanted thing going into 2 and if you'd asked me back in June of 2019, I would have bet money it was coming as a post-launch update (remember the Extra Game Styles menu?).

So like, Mario Land 1 and 2, maybe Mario 2/USA or Yoshi's Island, a more robust world builder, mouse inputs (other Switch games already support it, just not Mario Maker), better discoverability, that kind of stuff is what springs to mind. But none of it feels like it'd be enough to really sell a Mario Maker 3.

I'd love a 3D Mario Maker with Mario 64 as a theme. Imagine being able to make and play what would essentially be official Super Mario 64 Rom Hacks on your Switch.

I haven’t played Dreams, but is it as easily picked up by casual creators as Mario Maker? I believe the whole design ethos around Mario Maker was that “you just draw the level on the screen.” The moment you’ve gotta sculpt something in 3D, you’re going to scare a lot of casual audiences away.
Forgive me in advance as I don't know anything whatsoever about 3D development and such, but the only way I could see it possibly working is if you worked in a grid type system where each environmental asset comes in a default size and can be snapped into place. You could switch between an overhead view as well as having horizontal/vertical perspectives to move and scale assets. Maybe a full 3D camera to preview the level as you build it. I'm sure this is MUCH easier said than done, lol

Super Mario Maker 3D.

Not every Nintendo game has to appeal to the masses. They can continue selling and promoting Mario Maker 2 as something more easily accessible. I'd love to see Nintendo just once make something designed specifically for a hardcore fanbase.

I'm pretty sure a 3D level builder could happen if there was extreme ML assistance and a very lengthy tutorial explaining the fundamentals of 3D level design.

The first is not likely to be viable for years and the second would never be financially viable.

Anyway, I just listed dozens of things that have nothing to do with 3D gameplay.

I'd like for them to drop multiple themes for the next one. Just have every power-up, enemy, block, gizmo, and movement option in one single unified style.

Having objects no longer exclusive to one single style opens up many creative possibilities.
  • Yoshi and Goomba's Shoe in the same level.
  • Going through Clear Pipes as Frog Mario and Cat Luigi.
  • Being able to air spin, ground pound, spin jump, and long-jump and backflip.
  • Navigating Beep Blocks as Cape Toad wearing a Propeller Box, riding a Clown Car.
  • Raccoon Toadette driving a Koopa Kart with a Buzzy Beetle shell on her head through traffic comprised of flying Magikoopas and giant flying Wigglers.
It'd be easier on the devs too, as they won't have to make four completely different sets of sprites for one single object anymore. Adding new objects would be a much less time-consuming process and free up time for things like new playable characters and maybe the return of Mystery Mushroom costumes.

Last edited:
Wasn't Dreams recently shut down because basically nobody played it? If nobody gets into the game because it's too complex, that's just kinda poison for the core concept of a "Maker" game.

I'd honestly love to see a bit more robust overworld creation, also more styles, like you already mentioned: Yoshi's Island, Super Mario Land, Doki Doki, go wild!

They definitely have been trying to do that for a while.

maxresdefault.jpg

Wasn't Dreams recently shut down because basically nobody played it? If nobody gets into the game because it's too complex, that's just kinda poison for the core concept of a "Maker" game.

I'd honestly love to see a bit more robust overworld creation, also more styles, like you already mentioned: Yoshi's Island, Super Mario Land, Doki Doki, go wild!
Dreams had…..a lot of issues yeah

• Full themes for SMBWonder, 2/USA, Land, Land 2, Zelda
  • Bring back the mystery costumes from the first game, and make them available in all styles
  • Bring back Weird Mario as a playable
  • An Endless Mode for the various difficulty levels is fine, but I found myself missing the defined "end" that 100 Marios offered
  • Bring back the "CRT filter code" from the first game; even better, enable it as an option that can be played for levels

The easiest way to make a sequel is to embrace more unique themes with unique items that don't have to connect to the other styles. I know people complained about how 3D World required a full stage wipe and was limited compared to the other 4, but the insane amount of interactions and bugs created from them that existed in both SMM1 and SMM2 is astronomical.

As for what I'd specifically want added to the main 4 styles

- More flexibility with the physics and effects. In SMM2 the night version of courses force things like wind or ice or upside down gravity. Now I love these, but I would prefer that those be a separate option that can be applied to any stage theme day or night. Maybe go crazy and allow players to apply unique physics and conditions to specific parts of a level but not the whole thing.

- Chargin chucks, of all the missing Mario enemies this one has the most potential in Mario Maker. They can quickly break blocks, they can create various projectiles for challenges, and can be used to create an enemy that jumps when Mario does which is currently only in 3D world.

- Increased options for inner connecting levels and having multiple exits. Super Worlds are great for letting people group all their levels together in a unique way, and letting players find curated content from a creator they like. However as Super Worlds were added later on in SMM2, they're still limited by needing all stages to be beatable on their own and stages only having one exit. Enabling players to create multiple exits, and have mechanics like block palaces that open up new paths in old levels would add a lot to Super Worlds and how people design them.

- Add restart from checkpoint. You already make the uploader prove it's possible, why is it not allowed for players to do so? Yes it would hurt the troll communities ability to force people to do anti-softlocks, but it's still a change that would benefit all players.

Ideally, Wonder would just have a level creation mode. There's no need to split these 2 ups other than money for Nintendo.
No, this is an absolutely terrible idea and completely misses what makes Mario Maker so unique. Wonder should not have development time spent on level creation tools, and a level creator in Wonder would be extremely limited compared to what a dedicated Maker game would have. Mainline 2d Mario's need to be able to create unique mechanics/items for stages, and not be worried about how those things interact with each other.

Fix the damn online. Competitive 2D Mario racing across random infinite stages was one of the best ideas for online ever, and when it works it's damn amazing. Unfortunately that's only like... 15-20% of the time.

I'd still be playing that online every week if it worked properly.

1 : Keep everything that worked in SMM 2, including the World builder.
2 : Bring back some of the SMM 1 costumes.
3 : Add a new gameplay that don't make you lose a costume, this way you don't have to put "costume pipes" all the time or force backtracking.
4 : Allow for no timer.
5 : Don't let the game die as soon as its release.

It needs to be Super Mario 3D Maker or bust. Just use the 3D World template and break it into parts.

• Better online
  • AI to test the level and make recommendations when it's boring or too difficult
  • Better level sharing (post to social media or send to message apps, people opening URLs go to bookmark site)
  • better filtering when browsing levels

For me, it's not about what they could add, it's more that the overall process of finding and playing fun levels in the UI was never appealing to me, so I always fell off it quickly.

That's what would need to change. I did love the "Super World" mechanic - that was a good solution. But I'd love a "normal Mario levels by good creators curated by Nintendo" feed.

More ways to find the wheat in the chaff. Let me filter by various properties like "liked by a friend", or follow user-created curated lists.

• I thought Worlds were a good idea wasted when they made lives meaningless.
  • Fix the online.
  • More of everything, especially cosmetics, even if it means microtransactions. Let me pay $1 for a Captain Falcon suit.
  • Changing the background makes an enormous difference and it's so limited. It would be easy to add a hundred background jpegs.
  • Endless is fine but 100-man is better. Put both in the game.
  • Fix the pixel-perfect hitboxes, e.g. one-gap spikes.
  • Bring back the ability to download levels so you can learn from other creators and practice extremely difficult levels.
A 3D Mario Maker would be terrible. The vast majority of players can't make a good 2D level. You'd see the same thing with a Zelda maker.

Stop disrespecting Super Mario Land 2 and give us the Magic Carrot. I want to see angry hills in the background.

IMG-0497.gif

Super Wario Maker Mode. Assets from every Wario Land game including Virtual Boy Wario Land and Wario Land: Shake It!

Okay, that last bit may be too ambitious.

No, this is an absolutely terrible idea and completely misses what makes Mario Maker so unique. Wonder should not have development time spent on level creation tools, and a level creator in Wonder would be extremely limited compared to what a dedicated Maker game would have. Mainline 2d Mario's need to be able to create unique mechanics/items for stages, and not be worried about how those things interact with each other.

They're probably already accounting for how most things interact with each other. And you'd just be able to create levels in Wonder mode, so no other game modes.

They're probably already accounting for how most things interact with each other. And you'd just be able to create levels in Wonder mode, so no other game modes.
If you actually played Mario Maker for more then 5 minutes, it'd be really obvious that Nintendo can't even possibly test every possible use case combination of items. It's why MM2 has had a softlock since launch where a wiggler pushed out of lowering water causes the game to crash. 3 simple items (wiggler, shellmet, lowering water) and they were never tested together because there are billions of combinations of stuff.

Wonder's whole gimmick revolves around the acid flowers that can do crazy things to the level. Nintendo's creators being restricted to what you can do in the level maker is why MM2's campaign is so forgettable compared to any other 2D Mario, and you don't want that restriction on a mainline game. Inversely if the level creator is extremely limited compared to both the main game and MM2, why would anyone choose to make levels in Wonder over MM2 (yes Wonder will sell 10x the copies of MM2, but the creator community isn't going to care for the restricted tool set). Ultimately nobody wins if time is spent giving Wonder a level creation tool.

-Keep it 2D only
-Change the UI for one more similar to SMM1 or at least give the option to change it (SMM2 UI was way worse and more inconvenient on touch screen)
-Adding Super Mario Wonder style
-Improve World Map design and options (bigger, more saving storage, work with other themes besides SMW)
-There's still many old SMB3, SMWorld enemies and contraptions/platforms left to be added (and NSMBWU/3DW, too)
-Adding secret exits (branches on maps)
-More music customisation
-Design the game like a long-term supported service with new content, surveys, competitions...
-MORE curated online selection/better filters to separate too easy/automatic/musical levels and the very hard ones (create a specific kaizo/troll or similar category for those interested) and some kind of filter option to exclude them on marathon/endless play, so you can create the perfect selection of levels
-An easy and quick report button for missclassification/misstaging of levels
-A new and better history mode with full-fledged levels, not just the usual tutorial ones
-The return of SMM1 type of tutorials with dev advices
-The return of the website to search and add favourite levels and creators / maybe creating a mobile App.

Last edited:
If you actually played Mario Maker for more then 5 minutes, it'd be really obvious that Nintendo can't even possibly test every possible use case combination of items. It's why MM2 has had a softlock since launch where a wiggler pushed out of lowering water causes the game to crash. 3 simple items (wiggler, shellmet, lowering water) and they were never tested together because there are billions of combinations of stuff.

Wonder's whole gimmick revolves around the acid flowers that can do crazy things to the level. Nintendo's creators being restricted to what you can do in the level maker is why MM2's campaign is so forgettable compared to any other 2D Mario, and you don't want that restriction on a mainline game. Inversely if the level creator is extremely limited compared to both the main game and MM2, why would anyone choose to make levels in Wonder over MM2 (yes Wonder will sell 10x the copies of MM2, but the creator community isn't going to care for the restricted tool set). Ultimately nobody wins if time is spent giving Wonder a level creation tool.

I see your point but that's not the reason why the campaign in MM2 is forgettable, it's the focus on gimmicky levels. There are fan made Worlds in MM2 that feel more like an actual Mario game.

I’d imagine something similar to Halo Forge has been pretty good with that and i’d say its pretty intuitive and more than fisable way to bring 3D creation to mario titles. Nintendo could add their trademark polish and simplify the UI.

I’ve spent hundreds of hours in forge through Halo 3, Reach, and infinite

Many users create wonderful maps and stages to play on and are sharable/downloadable through a search browser, I’d imagine a 3D mario maker would be similar.

Add Super Mario Bros Wonder as a style
Now that we have Wonder, remove the NSMBU style and replace it with the original NSMB. I think that games is the best to represent the NMSB series. NSMBU doesn't have to be the 'obligatory newest 2D Mario game style' anymore.

I mean the real problem with dreams was that nobody was actually playing games but there were a decent number of creators themselves

I agree, but maybe something like Halo's Forge system could work? Pick a theme/environment, and throw together structures, environmental detail, flora, weapons, etc. There's a menu system to allow for finer control in terms of rotation and positioning of objects, and you can just snap things together. Iirc in Infinite, you can also adjust things like lighting and weather, and there's an Unreal Engine blueprint-like system to allow for things like programmable doors or something to happen after a certain amount of time or when certain conditions are met. It may not allow for full control over a level like making one from scratch, but I think adapting something like that for a 3D platformer can be doable.

Back
Top Bottom