• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion What will sell more DKCR HD or Metroid Prime 4?

What will sell more?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Prime 4 will pass 3 million with no problem. Metroid Dread passed 3 million and there’s way more hype and conversation for Prime 4.
Dread was an outlier though

There is always hype for the Metroid games that doesn’t translate to sales

Plus there is an indefinite number of people like myself who would purchase a new 2d Metroid on day one but who are hesitant about the Prime games

I believe Prime 4 will be crossgen, and I believe that (among critical acclaim and word of mouth) will help it pass Dread as the best selling Metroid game of all-time.

Idk what to expect for DKCR HD. Probably less than the Tropical Freeze port yeah? There's still ample time to announce some kind of new content a la Funky Kong or even new levels which might add a mild incentive to double/triple dip for Wii/3DS players but I just don't see it doing as well as Prime 4.

Impossible to tell without knowing the amount of gameplay and story changes introduced in Prime 4. Assuming this is just Metroid Prime 3.5 as shown in the trailer, it will struggle to get past 2m.

If this includes massive gameplay and story changes, it could be more popular depending on how popular those changes are.

Impossible to tell without knowing the amount of gameplay and story changes introduced in Prime 4. Assuming this is just Metroid Prime 3.5 as shown in the trailer, it will struggle to get past 2m.

If this includes massive gameplay and story changes, it could be more popular depending on how popular those changes are.
Metroid Prime 3.5 LMAO

Dread was an outlier though

There is always hype for the Metroid games that doesn’t translate to sales

Plus there is an indefinite number of people like myself who would purchase a new 2d Metroid on day one but who are hesitant about the Prime games
Dread barely sold more than a GC/NES game of its same series despite being a switch title co-marketed and released with a new model; prime 4 if cross gen will very easily surpass it if it's even remotely good. I do think it's a huge mistake if it's not crossgen released, though

One note about the Dread comparison is that Dread was a semi linear shooter with really good combat.

If combat isn’t a priority at all for Prime 4, they’re going to have to come up with puzzle and exploration (though not open world at all) and first person platforming elements that are very popular with mainstream audiences and this will obviously be extremely hard.

Maybe adding more horror or stealth elements? But neither go well with Prime’s traditional control scheme and they seem to be reusing most of that. The return of lock on is so limiting gameplay wise that I’m pretty shocked at it.

Last edited:
Dread barely sold more than a GC/NES game of its same series despite being a switch title co-marketed and released with a new model; prime 4 if cross gen will very easily surpass it if it's even remotely good. I do think it's a huge mistake if it's not crossgen released, though
Dread sold better than every other Metroid game

Even if you combine Metroid Prime and Prime Remastered

no-will-smith.gif

we're not doing this...

I don't know what's the agenda against Donkey Kong (or Rare) in the forum lately
Donkey Kong Country returning again instead of getting a new game has reopened old wounds.

Some of the best selling Switch games are the ones that baffles me.

In some twisted way DK HD will outsell Prime 4...
Same goes for Luigi Mansion 2 HD, since people for some reason love Luigi Mansion... Funnily enough Luigi Mansion 3 has probably outsold FF16, FF7 rebirth and Stellar Blade combine... People love green men and monkeys.

Considering that mp4 still went through 5 years of development even after the override, if mp4 sales are still only going to be around 5 million, the huge development costs associated with such a long development cycle are going to force Nintendo to give up on the series, and I even think that Nintendo is probably not happy with Dread's sales either.

Considering that mp4 still went through 5 years of development even after the override, if mp4 sales are still only going to be around 5 million, the huge development costs associated with such a long development cycle are going to force Nintendo to give up on the series, and I even think that Nintendo is probably not happy with Dread's sales either.
If that’s the case then let Retro just make Mario games…

Same goes for Luigi Mansion 2 HD, since people for some reason love Luigi Mansion... Funnily enough Luigi Mansion 3 has probably outsold FF16, FF7 rebirth and Stellar Blade combine... People love green men and monkeys.
I've played them all and LM3 is better than all of them, that's just deserved.

I'm willing to vote that DK outsells MP4. Yes it's a remake of a Wii game, but we also saw Xenoblade Chronicles get a nice sales figure from the Switch re-release, and that game followed a similar Wii -> 3DS -> Switch trajectory. Granted, DKCR doesn't seem to be getting much in the way of new content aside from the 3DS levels being included.

But I think enough time has passed that this is going to be a new Nintendo 2D platformer for a lot of people. And I think that's going to get people way more excited than Prime 4 (as much as it pains me to say).

The Metroid series is a typical niche game series that developer in the industry hold in high regard but have no mass market for.
And Nintendo knows this. Nintendo would’ve set their expectations for Metroid Prime 4. I don’t see them expecting it to blow up. I’m sure, of course, they’re gonna do all they can with marketing and using Switch 2 to push sales as much as they can, but they still have to understand it’s Metroid n

Nintendo remembers Metroid now I have to wonder if it's simply because Metroidvanias games started to become popular after 2017 and Nintendo felt it was an opportunity to resurrect Metroid, otherwise I really don't know what reason there is to think they're going to resurrect the niche game series.

I'm willing to vote that DK outsells MP4. Yes it's a remake of a Wii game, but we also saw Xenoblade Chronicles get a nice sales figure from the Switch re-release, and that game followed a similar Wii -> 3DS -> Switch trajectory. Granted, DKCR doesn't seem to be getting much in the way of new content aside from the 3DS levels being included.

But I think enough time has passed that this is going to be a new Nintendo 2D platformer for a lot of people. And I think that's going to get people way more excited than Prime 4 (as much as it pains me to say).
If DK HD has Funky mode, then it'll be a 10M+

wrizz-monkey-monkey.gif

I think given the unprecedented success of the Switch, Nintendo will eat the loss on the original botched Prime 4 development. No doubt though this will go down as one of Nintendo’s costliest games for minimal returns. One can’t say Nintendo neglects Metroid after this.

FF16 + Rebirth + Stellar Blade combined amounts to like, 6-7 million, generously. Luigi’s Mansion 3 is double that.

Honestly, if Nintendo had the sales targets for Metroid that some of you guys think they do, I think the franchise actually would have died in 2010.

DKCRHD:
In it's favor:
  • It's Donkey Kong
  • New theme park
  • The last release was 12 years ago, meaning the are kids who've never had the chance the play it.
Against it's favor:
  • $60 old game
  • 3rd release
  • Release right after the holiday season

Prime 4:
In it's favor:
  • New game
  • Metroid has had a popularity boost lately
  • 8 years of hype built up
  • May potentially be cross gen
Against it:
  • It's Metroid
  • Prime Remaster was only $40 and will probably sell worse than the original on a GameCube install base.

Hard to say really. Wouldn't be shocked if they sell around the same, Wouldn't be shocked if either of them sold more.

I think given the unprecedented success of the Switch, Nintendo will eat the loss on the original botched Prime 4 development. No doubt though this will go down as one of Nintendo’s costliest games for minimal returns. One can’t say Nintendo neglects Metroid after this.
Unless Nintendo feels it's worth it, the increase in development costs from the long development time of the mp4 will hit Nintendo's incentive to make related games, Zelda became an IP equivalent to Mario through BOTW, I don't see that happening with Metroid.

That's not true, prime and prime R are at 4 million (not counting the trilogy versions of wii/wiiu) while dread is at 3.05 million
My bad, although this source has Prime combined at 3.93 with dread at just over 3

Even still, that’s a pretty weak case for the claim that Prime 4’s sales will easily clear 3 million

I'm doubtful DKCR cracks 2 million. It's old, will probably be a mediocre port, and has already been re-released before.

On the NES... the Hunter won.
On the Game Boy... the Kong won.
On the SNES... the Kong won.
On the GameCube... the Hunter won.
On the GBA... the Kong won.
On the DS... the Hunter won.
On the Wii... the Kong won.
On the 3DS... the Kong won.

...Okay, when I did this bit, I expected it to be nothing but gorilla victory, but Samus is only down two points, so maybe she can score another.
While I have no idea if DKCR HD will outsell Prime 4, but Metroid winning with a console that had only DK arcade ports (NES) and a console whose big DK title was tied to a controversial peripheral (GameCube) is pretty telling.

Honestly the DS victory is probably most impressive given it was basically an even fight of spin-offs vs spin-offs at that point.

On the NES... the Hunter won.
On the Game Boy... the Kong won.
On the SNES... the Kong won.
On the GameCube... the Hunter won.
On the GBA... the Kong won.
On the DS... the Hunter won.
On the Wii... the Kong won.
On the 3DS... the Kong won.

...Okay, when I did this bit, I expected it to be nothing but gorilla victory, but Samus is only down two points, so maybe she can score another.
To be fair, Nintendo sabotaged the hell out of Kong during GameCube and DS. Had he gotten normal-ass games Kong probably would have won them too.
*Actually, if Diddy Kong Racing counts, Kong won DS too.

To be fair, Nintendo sabotaged the hell out of Kong during GameCube and DS. Had he gotten normal-ass games Kong probably would have won them too.
*Actually, if Diddy Kong Racing counts, Kong won DS too.
People weren't ready to admit, and still aren't ready, that the best DK game uses bongos as a control scheme. One day everyone will see its genius, especially when EPD 8's Donkey Kong Jungle Beat 2 is announced and sells 50 million copies.

If it is cross-gen as many suspect, i think Metroid Prime 4 could come close and or beat Dread's Sales benchmark.

As a launch game, it will get a super special boost.

I don't understand why some people are being so pessimistic and saying it's a clear DK victory, not saying it won't win, but I think it's a more interesting comparison than it might sound at first - by now TF is probably at about 5-5.5 mil and with Returns HD being a late era NSW game that's a remaster of a Wii game that already was sold twice before, it would actually take a decent amount of marketing and hype to capture that 80% or so of TF's audience (4m) and even that wouldn't necessarily disqualify Prime 4 since it's a new game and could get a crossgen launch .....

Let's put it this way, the question becomes a lot more interesting when you think about how much Returns HD can capture TF sales, because honestly as overly optimistic as it is to say Prime 4 will sell 4-5 mil, I think it's also overly optimistic to act like Returns HD will easily get to 5 mil

Unless Nintendo feels it's worth it, the increase in development costs from the long development time of the mp4 will hit Nintendo's incentive to make related games, Zelda became an IP equivalent to Mario through BOTW, I don't see that happening with Metroid.
I definitely think longterm Metroid Prime is going to be in a tricky spot with rising development costs. It's possible Nintendo thinks it's worth it to bring a certain level of prestige to the Switch and enrich their ecosystem. Really just depends on how well Prime 4 does overall.

I don't understand why some people are being so pessimistic and saying it's a clear DK victory, not saying it won't win, but I think it's a more interesting comparison than it might sound at first - by now TF is probably at about 5-5.5 mil and with Returns HD being a late era NSW game that's a remaster of a Wii game that already was sold twice before, it would actually take a decent amount of marketing and hype to capture that 80% or so of TF's audience (4m) and even that wouldn't necessarily disqualify Prime 4 since it's a new game and could get a crossgen launch .....

Let's put it this way, the question becomes a lot more interesting when you think about how much Returns HD can capture TF sales, because honestly as overly optimistic as it is to say Prime 4 will sell 4-5 mil, I think it's also overly optimistic to act like Returns HD will easily get to 5 mil
Yeah, I don't see DKCR capturing more than 50-60% of TF's sales. So unless Prime 4 sells less than Dread which seems unlikely, I think it'll win.

Normally I’d say DKCR, but it’s a HD remaster of a nearly decade and a half old game, while Prime 4 is brand new title. DKCR won this battle on Wii against Prime 3 back in the day (actually outselling the entire trilogy combined I might add), but this time I think the situation is different, and will ultimately benefit Prime 4.

I couldn’t tell you what either will ultimately sell, but I think Prime 4 will comfortably outsell DKCRHD in the end.

:coffee:

Donkey Kong Country Returns is not a new game, it's a remaster of the Wii game. Metroid Prime 4 is a brand new Metroid Prime game.

Pitting Metroid fans against DK fans is especially cruel because Metroid fans are riding high while DK fans are starting to feel forgotten, while 10 years ago the positions were reversed. Why do this?

I voted Metroid Prime 4 but that is really me willing it to happen

Of course if it is a crossgen title and is a switch 2 launch title it probably will

Back
Top Bottom