• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion What will sell more DKCR HD or Metroid Prime 4?

What will sell more?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Pitting Metroid fans against DK fans is especially cruel because Metroid fans are riding high while DK fans are starting to feel forgotten, while 10 years ago the positions were reversed. Why do this?
The only thing that unites the fanbases is wanting their bad guys in Smash

I think it'll be closer than it should be but Prime 4 will win out. $60 for DKCR is pretty steep and unlike TF it was already available on two successful platforms.

There's almost no way Donkey Kong Country Returns HD outsells Tropical Freeze. It's the second game on the same system, being itself the third time the game is released.

A new Donkey Kong game? I'd be betting it'd cross 10m.

But that's not the case here. I think Metroid Prime 4 Beyond is almost surely surpassing it.

no-will-smith.gif

we're not doing this...

I don't know what's the agenda against Donkey Kong (or Rare) in the forum lately
The best part of this thread is how it can be perceived to have an agenda against either series lol

but that number ‘4’ in the title and it being a direct sequel to a trilogy of games from two decades ago is going to work against I’m afraid.
This line of thinking would have you believe sequels never do well if the predecessors aren't on modern consoles. It's just not reality.

At this point, the general public seems accustomed to games being made to jump in at any point in the series, even if they are "direct sequels" (though Prime 4: Beyond is really only a direct sequel in name and gameplay, not narrative). GTA and Uncharted both saw greatly increases sales with their 4th entries, and GTA blew up further still in its 5th. Kingdom Hearts 3 edged out the original to be the best selling game in the series, despite having a notorious level of pre-existing lore to the point of it being a meme. Hell, while it wasn't in the title, Metroid Dread's announcement trailer called it Metroid 5 before dropping the subtitle, and that now stands clear above the rest in sales.

I'm not convinced this effect is real at all. The general public seems to manage to know or just not care when prior games enhance the experience, and the Prime Trilogy will likely be rather irrelevant to 4.

I will bet MP4, just because it is a new game.

But i must say that even DK sale better than Metroid, it won't put an end to Metroid, vice versa. We have no reason to compare them.

Metroid Prime combined is over 4mil, to those that think MP4 is selling under 4mil, well get ready to be served crow

Metroid prime limped to 1.34m on switch while donkey Kong country returns cruised to just short of 3m on the 3ds.

Comparing the series sales potential is like the coughing baby Vs hydrogen bomb meme, Metroid prime 4 is going to be nowhere near 4m if it's as close to the original game as the first trailer would have us believe

Metroid prime 4 might well beat out this very late port of a game already released twice to major success both times in two previous generations but that's only because I don't think DKCR returns will sell particularly well rather than prime 4 doing exceedingly well.

Last edited:
I think DKCRHD will sell more. It has a broader appeal and while in the Nintendo-bubble itself it probably is just seen as another port, for a lot of people it is probably also a new game. I can see it sell more than Metroid Prime 4 for sure.

I think DKCRHD will sell more. It has a broader appeal and while in the Nintendo-bubble itself it probably is just seen as another port, for a lot of people it is probably also a new game. I can see it sell more than Metroid Prime 4 for sure.
Generally speaking, I agree with you that the general public is more interested in Donkey Kong than in Metroid.

But we have to take the context into consideration here, in my opinion. The wait around Metroid Prime 4 managed to get out of a bubble. Even people who are not very informed have heard about the media buzz around Metroid Prime 4 , this is somehow out of its niche because of the context of development of the game.

I’m not saying at all that Metroid take 4 will achieve huge sales of course, but I think that taking into account this context, the interest of the general public will be more important than usual. And in the same way if we have to talk about the context for Donkey Kong, the general public who likes Donkey Kong without being very informed may have a hard time clearly distinguishing what DKCR brings compared to DKCTF. That said, it does not mean it will sell poorly, it simply weighs the expectations.

I don’t know which of these two games will sell the most but I’m pretty sure that the sales will be very similar. It is not easy to make a prognosis because there was the Mario movie effect, but I sincerely think that many mainstream media, far from Fami, will talk about Metroid Prime 4 when it is released, This is unusual and may have a positive impact on sales.

Prime has a ton of hype riding on its tail, plus the whole "big name entry on Switch" effect that's given every lower selling franchise a big bump. DKCR is old news and they're really not doing anything impressive or noteworthy with that port. DK is popular but this isn't a highly demanded game, it's been relatively accessible on every previous platform.

The best part of this thread is how it can be perceived to have an agenda against either series lol

This line of thinking would have you believe sequels never do well if the predecessors aren't on modern consoles. It's just not reality.

At this point, the general public seems accustomed to games being made to jump in at any point in the series, even if they are "direct sequels" (though Prime 4: Beyond is really only a direct sequel in name and gameplay, not narrative). GTA and Uncharted both saw greatly increases sales with their 4th entries, and GTA blew up further still in its 5th. Kingdom Hearts 3 edged out the original to be the best selling game in the series, despite having a notorious level of pre-existing lore to the point of it being a meme. Hell, while it wasn't in the title, Metroid Dread's announcement trailer called it Metroid 5 before dropping the subtitle, and that now stands clear above the rest in sales.

I'm not convinced this effect is real at all. The general public seems to manage to know or just not care when prior games enhance the experience, and the Prime Trilogy will likely be rather irrelevant to 4.

I understand what you’re saying and I mostly agree, but it’s Metroid we’re talking about. A series that for whatever reason has never caught on to be a big seller. That’s why I think it specifically could work against this game in this franchise. Dread up to this point is the biggest selling game in the franchise which is certainly progress and hopefully a good sign that maybe Prime 4 will do better, but I feel like it has a lot stacked against it.

I want it do well. I want it to be the best Metroid game ever both commercially and critically, but I don’t think it will be. As someone who is a massive fan of the series, that pains me to say.

Tropical Freeze is probably around 5 million now and it was a Year 2 Switch title with good legs. Returns HD is arriving a whopping 7 years later. If Returns keeps 40 to 60% of that market interest it sells 2 to 3 million.

The worst case scenario for Prime 4 is that it sells only to diehard Metroid fans which I guess would be about 2 million given the series history. I don't think the game is speaking to an audience broader than that yet, but it's still early. If it has interesting hooks or a dual SKU launch then that raises its potential to I think a 4 million ceiling.

So 2 to 3 million for DKCR and 2 to 4 million for Prime 4 are my ranges. I'm going with Prime 4 here.

I picked up the original version of DK for the Wii for 6 bucks a couple weeks ago so I'm good there. Metroid Prime 4 however is my absolute most anticipated game and has been for years so I'm going with that.

I voted Metroid. But I feel that the poll is on to something: it may be closer than Metroid fans like. Much will depend on whether Metroid also gets a visually striking NSW 2 upgrade. The original Prime on GameCube was a technological relevation when it released. Prime 4 on Switch will only be with the qualifier '...considering it's on Switch'.

On the other hand, 60€ for Donkey Kong Wii is really shocking. We have the Metroid Prime Remaster 40€ precedent, so I'm at a loss how Nintendo thinks this is justified.
They're probably angry at themselves that they put Prime remaster at the lower price. Arguably they lost 20€ per copy.

my gut tells me that in actuality, the two Retro DKC games are seen by the general public in a similar light to how they view the two N64 Zelda games

where Tropical Freeze is the lesser known, more cult fan favorite follow up of the two, so it releasing already doesn't preclude the much more recognizable and celebrated Returns original from either keeping pace or blowing past it when it launches.

and I personally do not see any sort of Metroid title approaching TF's sales results.

This is a series that may as well be Xbox exclusive in places like Japan

you will need several markets to really pick up the slack there and also mostly ignore the Donkey Kong game, and maybe that happens but I very much doubt it

I voted Metroid. But I feel that the poll is on to something: it may be closer than Metroid fans like. Much will depend on whether Metroid also gets a visually striking NSW 2 upgrade. The original Prime on GameCube was a technological relevation when it released. Prime 4 on Switch will only be with the qualifier '...considering it's on Switch'.

On the other hand, 60€ for Donkey Kong Wii is really shocking. We have the Metroid Prime Remaster 40€ precedent, so I'm at a loss how Nintendo thinks this is justified.
They're probably angry at themselves that they put Prime remaster at the lower price. Arguably they lost 20€ per copy.
I don't think Nintendo is angry at themselves about Prime Remastered's price. Metroid is niche compared to series like Donkey Kong and Mario, cutting the price was a decision made that reflects the brand's value in the market.

i hate to state this, but Donkey kong Country Returns HD, will outsell Metroid Prime 4 by a significant margin, despite Donkey kong been a nearly dead franchise, they are still more popular then Metroid

Considering that mp4 still went through 5 years of development even after the override, if mp4 sales are still only going to be around 5 million, the huge development costs associated with such a long development cycle are going to force Nintendo to give up on the series, and I even think that Nintendo is probably not happy with Dread's sales either.
If Nintendo ever decides to give up on Metroid, it won't be because they were forced.

Metroid prime limped to 1.34m on switch while donkey Kong country returns cruised to just short of 3m on the 3ds.

Comparing the series sales potential is like the coughing baby Vs hydrogen bomb meme, Metroid prime 4 is going to be nowhere near 4m if it's as close to the original game as the first trailer would have us believe

Metroid prime 4 might well beat out this very late port of a game already released twice to major success both times in two previous generations but that's only because I don't think DKCR returns will sell particularly well rather than prime 4 doing exceedingly well.

Good thing the first trailer is literally the tutorial/prologue part of the game all they really showed was the very beginning!

That said Prime is still a game that Nintendo will have high expectations for. Dread not only the highest selling game of the franchise but also not nearly as big/costly as MP4 will be. Not sure why many people think MP4 will sell between 2-4mil, when there is alot going for it (the userbase for nsw isnt the blue ocean one like wii) and Nintendo will want this game to be a huge success. 5mil is the floor of my expectations and even if I'm overly optimistic on it (10mil is more of my prediction since I go for ceilings rather than safety), I dont think 5-7mil is unrealistic as many might believe

I understand what you’re saying and I mostly agree, but it’s Metroid we’re talking about. A series that for whatever reason has never caught on to be a big seller. That’s why I think it specifically could work against this game in this franchise. Dread up to this point is the biggest selling game in the franchise which is certainly progress and hopefully a good sign that maybe Prime 4 will do better, but I feel like it has a lot stacked against it.

I want it do well. I want it to be the best Metroid game ever both commercially and critically, but I don’t think it will be. As someone who is a massive fan of the series, that pains me to say.
I'm not as optimistic as most here on Prime 4's sales, don't get me wrong; I'll be thrilled if it even breaks 3M. I just think the primary reason for that is unfortunately the word "Metroid" in the title, while the '4' doesn't really even make my list.

my gut tells me that in actuality, the two Retro DKC games are seen by the general public in a similar light to how they view the two N64 Zelda games

where Tropical Freeze is the lesser known, more cult fan favorite follow up of the two, so it releasing already doesn't preclude the much more recognizable and celebrated Returns original from either keeping pace or blowing past it when it launches.

and I personally do not see any sort of Metroid title approaching TF's sales results.

This is a series that may as well be Xbox exclusive in places like Japan

you will need several markets to really pick up the slack there and also mostly ignore the Donkey Kong game, and maybe that happens but I very much doubt it
DKCR is coming too late in the Switch’s life for it to surpass TF, I think. Mario Advance 1 outsold Mario Advance 4 despite SMB2 selling less than SMB3 on the NES.

DKCR is coming too late in the Switch’s life for it to surpass TF, I think. Mario Advance 1 outsold Mario Advance 4 despite SMB2 selling less than SMB3 on the NES.
I find that one a tricky comparison thanks to Super Mario Advance being the launch Mario game for GBA, but it's good keep it in mind for sure

I guess it's sort of me asking, if say Ocarina of Time 3D received a Switch port this year, would we with confidence assert it couldn't possibly match or even surpass Skyward Sword HD or maybe reach Link's Awakening HD type results?

it very well might be too late, but regardless, I still question a Metroid Prime game being able to out do a mainline DK game, even an older one

I've witnessed(and participated in) wild overestimating of Metroid game sales potential on Switch twice before, guess I'm looking to have learned something from that experience lol

I'll dare to give it to Metroid, this time. Once Nintendo is REALLY ready to show what this game is about, I think it will positively captivate folk. Especially if it surprises in some way, or at least becomes the "new standard" for games of this type.

Besides, unlike Dread, which had to "prove" itself worthy of full price among a slew of similar games being sold at far less? The market for full 3D Metroid-like/Search Action games is far less busy.

Impossible to tell without knowing the amount of gameplay and story changes introduced in Prime 4. Assuming this is just Metroid Prime 3.5 as shown in the trailer, it will struggle to get past 2m.

If this includes massive gameplay and story changes, it could be more popular depending on how popular those changes are.
Is there a thread you won't do this in?

My bad, although this source has Prime combined at 3.93 with dread at just over 3

Even still, that’s a pretty weak case for the claim that Prime 4’s sales will easily clear 3 million
I totally agree that solely based on series history and sales doesn't help. But I have a feeling MP4 can be a big hit that may come close to or surpass 5 millions. Will largely depend on the final product imo.

Game marketing was a completely different battle in 2007 and before than now, the player would have to find a game outside of once in a while targeted advertisement, but now with social media Algorithms the game can find the player

Just like ANCH, there really no telling what Prime 4 can do, just depend how many players the gameplay can connect with

Back
Top Bottom