• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion What will sell more DKCR HD or Metroid Prime 4?

What will sell more?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
prime 4, I know metroid doesn't tend to have the best sales but dread managed sell 3 million copies in its first year so between the hype and longer marketing cycle I think it could easily surpass that.

Prime 4 will likely outsell it, especially if it's crossgen. DKCR already having been released on two successful consoles limits its audience. I'd expect DKCR to sell around 2-3 million and Prime 4 around 4-5 million.

Tropical Freeze is around 5 million sold on Switch, and I don't see Returns HD beating that, so I'll guess Prime 4 which I think could get around that 5 million mark.

DKCRHD is the third port of a fourteen year old game. And yet I still have my doubts whether Prime 4 will beat it in sales, if only because it’s a Metroid game.

I think it will be close regardless.

I think Prime 4, but I'm not expecting a blowout necessarily

It's the 3rd time DKCR's been release at retail, so I don't expect it will quite outsell Tropical Freeze's Switch port, which is at like 4 million I think? But I think Prime 4, with a combo of some potential cross-gen "buzz" and the capital-G gamer bias towards 3D games (esp. at full price), could outsell Dread which did like 3 million

At the least, I expect Metroid to have a stronger launch, while DKCR has a decent chance of overtaking it in the long run

Last edited:
ziC6mIt.png

Yep, but I could see it breaking series trends, like with Kirby and the Forgotten Land.
Breakout hits like that tend to coincide with huge paradigm shifts (BotW with open world, Forgotten Land with full 3D). I think it’s way too early to see whether that is gonna happen with Prime 4. We know way too little about it.

On the NES... the Hunter won.
On the Game Boy... the Kong won.
On the SNES... the Kong won.
On the GameCube... the Hunter won.
On the GBA... the Kong won.
On the DS... the Hunter won.
On the Wii... the Kong won.
On the 3DS... the Kong won.

...Okay, when I did this bit, I expected it to be nothing but gorilla victory, but Samus is only down two points, so maybe she can score another.

Gonna bet that Metroid Prime 4 will probably be crossgen, and be far and away the best selling Metroid game at like at least 5 million.
DKC Returns will also probably sell around that much, and I doubt it will be crossgen.

Had the 3ds version not existed I would have maybe said DK although this is still contingent on if Prime 4 is a cross gen release

The Switch version of Tropical Freeze would have been the best-selling Metroid game, and it was largely off store shelves well before the Switch had boomed post-pandemic. NSMBU sold 17m+ copies, and it's that audience who'll be buying this game. It's not the answer you all want to hear, but my money's on the monkey.

It depends.

A game like DK appeals to many people. A game like Metroid is more niche, yet still popular.

I suspect that over the long-run, DK will sell far more copies than Metroid yet both series will do very well.

Prime 4 will do better than people think.

Dread isn't the full potential of Metroid on Switch, just as Star Allies wasn't the full potential of Kirby.

The Switch version of Tropical Freeze would have been the best-selling Metroid game, and it was largely off store shelves well before the Switch had boomed post-pandemic. NSMBU sold 17m+ copies, and it's that audience who'll be buying this game. It's not the answer you all want to hear, but my money's on the monkey.
I mean I like DK way more than Metroid (and I like Metroid quite a bit, but DK is one of my all time favorite series). I just think Prime 4 has a higher ceiling than the third rerelease of DKCR. I'm also skeptical the NSMBU audience is going to jump on DKCR since it's much more difficult. It's not like the NSMBW audience migrated en masse to DKCR on the initial Wii release, either.

Also Tropical Freeze being a Metroid game is news to me :p

For reference DKCR 3D sold 2.9 M on 3DS, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it do similar numbers. I could see Prime 4 breaking that, Dread sold better than that.

Still many unknown factors about Prime 4

Switch only?
Switch+Switch 2?

I could definitely see it getting a bundle of sort as well.

But even without these unknown aspects, I just dont see Prime 4 lose this.

They marketed Metroid Dread up the wazoo and that game only sold a tad bit over 3 million. Meanwhile Tropical Freeze was able to squeeze out a solid 4 million for a port early on in the switches life. I would love if Metroid got a major W, but realistically 3 million should be expected at most

Dread isn't the full potential of Metroid on Switch, just as Star Allies wasn't the full potential of Kirby.

The difference is Dread wasn't a piece of cardboard gathering fungus on the back of the yard like Star Allies. It was an actual good game.

They marketed Metroid Dread up the wazoo and that game only sold a tad bit over 3 million. Meanwhile Tropical Freeze was able to squeeze out a solid 4 million for a port early on in the switches life. I would love if Metroid got a major W, but realistically 3 million should be expected at most

Thanks to it's rather great legs, it took 5 years to hit 4.6M units sold.
5 years isnt a luxury a DKCR have launchin in the late stages of Switch's 8th year.

FWIW, Tropical Freeze on Switch sold just over 2 million after its first year, while Metroid Dread sold its 3 million in about that same time period.

FWIW, Tropical Freeze on Switch sold just over 2 million after its first year, while Metroid Dread sold its 3 million in about that same time period.
Tropical Freeze actually had legs though thanks to the casual crowd. I imagine Prime 4 will sell quite well in it's first year, and then drop off after, while I wouldn't doubt that we could hear of DKCR HD selling another million every year or so.

Donkey Kong, easily. Sad to say, but Metroid Prime 4 is unlikely to be a big seller. Maybe it will outsell Dread, but that number ‘4’ in the title and it being a direct sequel to a trilogy of games from two decades ago is going to work against I’m afraid. I really, really want to be wrong here though.

Tropical Freeze actually had legs though thanks to the casual crowd. I imagine Prime 4 will sell quite well in it's first year, and then drop off after, while I wouldn't doubt that we could hear of DKCR HD selling another million every year or so.
Oh, no doubt, DK absolutely has the better legs. Just thought it was nice fun fact. Plus, OP didn't specify what sort of timeframe we're working with here. Launch month? Year 1? Lifetime?

Although people don't consider Metroid in general to be a 'needle mover', I have high hopes for this game. 7 years later, and I truly believe we may have something very special on our hands.

I'm hopeful that we see a cross-gen version, I do think it would be a missed opportunity to not have a dedicated cartridge on the new hardware.

Last edited:
I think Prime will do better in the first year while Returns will have better legs and sell more in the long run.

It's absolutely going to be close though, I don't see either game doing super better or super worse then the other.

I think DKCRHD will sell around 3 million, and I want to believe Prime 4 will sell a bit more than that. Hopefully.

Back
Top Bottom