• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion What Wii U and 3DS games are you playing before the servers shut down on April 8/9th?

@saintsflow20 Haha I did the G-rank rush as well. Finished off Gogmazios with some cool people a few days ago. Luckily I got to keep lots of guild cards to remind me of the friends I made!

Ok. Now it's just getting silly that it's still going. I want to be there when it ends, but wonder trading for more than two hours is a bit much!

At least I'm almost out of minior.

Last edited:
Annnddd the final Splatoon rotation finished. The online services, the eShops, Miiverse and online friend lists are all gone. Some games are still holding on funnily enough, but the servers for most have been turned off. The Wii U/3DS era is truly over.

Thanks for the memories!

Last edited:
While this was certainly an era fraught with issues for Nintendo, it was a pretty crucial building block for their current success. I only hope Switch 2 backwards compatibility means going forward the Switch eShop/online will stay up and presumably use the same servers and interface as the Switch 1.

Well, I never actually saw the end since Splatoon 1 still was living almost 2.5 hours past the shut down thanks to the peer to peer servers. Had to call it as I can't play Wii U all night a second night in a row, but it was really fun to accidentally get like an extra 3 hours of Splatoon 1 which just has a nice charm to it. Even got to unlock ranked and play it for the first time for a bit and it's hilarious that the game actually rotated maps and I could still queue for new games.

Played one last Urchin Underpass since it was in the rotation and it's not been brought back, and just admired the game for a bit and sat with the birds. A lot of fun running around Splatoon 1 with either semi-serious games, or just absolute boo-yah, squid transform spam, end of the game everyone jump/blow-up endings.

I didn't expect to have this much time or fun with the end of the Wii U considering I literally haven't turned it on in like 10 months, but I'm so so so glad I came back.

What a weird and unique era to finally say goodbye too!

Had a bunch of real life stuff this weekend + last night so I didn't get to partake in any last minute stuff.

Good night sweet prince.

See you all on Pretendo in a few months!

It is almost remarkable that the Wii-U online servers stayed alive for 11 1/2 years. That system was dead before the Switch launched in 2017, but Nintendo left the servers on for basically the entire Switch generation.

I still think that the 3DS servers could've stayed open a little longer.

Couldn't play games for three weeks in March because life had other plans. Couldn't play on the final day because internet provider had an outage.

I'm now all in on a Xenoblade Chronicles X remake for the Switch successor.

I've lost all hopes for a re-releasea of Xenoblade X, tbh, let alone for a sequel. Really stressing reality.
It’ll almost definitely get a release eventually. Nintendo is most likely saving some remasters for Switch 2 since one of the primary purpose of remasters/remakes/rererleases is filling in calendar spots between releases. If Tokyo Mirage Sessions of all games got a port, it’s only a matter of time.

Can’t help you there with a sequel though.

Wait so, is redownloading games from the Wii, Wii U and 3DS still available? Or are those gone too? I'm sure I knew this at one point but it's totally escaping me.

Did people really put that much into XCX online? Or are people just saying RIP in general because they lost hope for a port/sequel lol. It was neat passively working towards the little "kill X number of Y creature/collect A number of B item" quests with randos, but it was just a background element. Never even touched the online battle lobby stuff. I guess the real loss is the data packs

Wait so, is redownloading games from the Wii, Wii U and 3DS still available? Or are those gone too? I'm sure I knew this at one point but it's totally escaping me.

Not sure about Wii, but Wii U and 3DS you should still be able to redownload your game purchases.

And this recent Nintendo Network shutdown was for multiplayer services not the eshop. That happened last year in May.

It's still available. I did read a random Reddit post claiming specifically Smash Bros. 3DS DLC is undownloadable because it uses some unique system which is worrying, should probably dig deeper and post a thread.

Redownloading previously purchased content is still available for those systems indefinitely for the time being, and for DSi too. Nintendo hasn’t made any announcement as to when any of that will end.

Not sure about Wii, but Wii U and 3DS you should still be able to redownload your game purchases.

And this recent Nintendo Network shutdown was for multiplayer services not the eshop. That happened last year in May.
It's still available. I did read a random Reddit post claiming specifically Smash Bros. 3DS DLC is undownloadable because it uses some unique system which is worrying, should probably dig deeper and post a thread.
Redownloading previously purchased content is still available for those systems indefinitely for the time being, and for DSi too. Nintendo hasn’t made any announcement as to when any of that will end.
Thank you all! That's a relief. There's still a whole bunch of games I picked up before the respective shop shutdowns that I haven't gotten to try yet.

Did people really put that much into XCX online? Or are people just saying RIP in general because they lost hope for a port/sequel lol. It was neat passively working towards the little "kill X number of Y creature/collect A number of B item" quests with randos, but it was just a background element. Never even touched the online battle lobby stuff. I guess the real loss is the data packs
Yeah, there were quite the few groups that dedicated themselves to farm the online exclusive bosses, even until yesterday.

I used to periodically watch some guy from Japan do boss rush on twitch. He wasn't alone either. And he pulled decent views for a relatively forgotten game. I think it had a very small dedicated fan base from the get go.

Devil's Third does too.

I've lost all hopes for a re-releasea of Xenoblade X, tbh, let alone for a sequel. Really stressing reality.
The first Xenoblade didn't get a re-release until 10 years after. Unless you count the 3ds version which was more like a downgrade.

2025 would be the most fitting for a X port since it's the anniversary and with it having the largest world of the series it would serve it better on a more powerful console.

Yeah, there were quite the few groups that dedicated themselves to farm the online exclusive bosses, even until yesterday.
I used to periodically watch some guy from Japan do boss rush on twitch. He wasn't alone either. And he pulled decent views for a relatively forgotten game. I think it had a very small dedicated fan base from the get go.

Devil's Third does too.
Gotcha, fair

Back
Top Bottom