• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion What Wii U and 3DS games are you playing before the servers shut down on April 8/9th?

zumaddy

Starman
Pronouns
She
nintendo-teases-future-communication-between-wii-u_v1wp.1280.jpg

"At 4pm PDT on April 8, 2024, online play and other functionality that uses online communication will end for Nintendo 3DS* and Wii U software. This also includes online co-operative play, internet rankings, and data distribution."

We're reaching the beginning of April - do you have any special plans for games on these platforms before the online system is disbanded? Remember that Pokemon Bank will still be available for an unspecified time after the closure.

There's also a current Star Fox Guard thread on Fami (and let me know if there's any others you'd like to be included)

Some of the things I've been doing or planning to do over the last month:

1. Finishing Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate's Online Quests (including collab quests)
  2. Wonder Trading away some of my older rare and shiny Pokemon in Pokemon X (and Banking those I want to keep)
  3. Visiting Dream Towns in Animal Crossing New Leaf
  4. Downloading player outfits in the Style Savvy/New Style Boutique games
  5. Playing Splatoon 1 for the last few times
  6. Downloading units and skills in Fire Emblem Fates

It's been a nostalgic time going through these, and a little sad seeing some of these games still having active player-bases. Feel free to post what you're doing and/or what you'll miss!

images

One final trip to tortimers island in Animal Crossing New Leaf. I used to always beg people for bells with my brother, both of us hoping to find a hacker who had infinite money

Dang, I forgot it's closing down soon. I still need to do an entire playthrough of Fates Revelations and I'll be needing some of those skills from other players.

I also still need to do a lot in MH4U.

It's impossible to do all of that in a week or 2. I'll just have to rely on Pretendo I guess.

Pokemon ORAS, want to experience the PSS one last time. In fact I'm already halfway through my playthrough.

One final trip to tortimers island in Animal Crossing New Leaf. I used to always beg people for bells with my brother, both of us hoping to find a hacker who had infinite money
I got lucky in New Horizons and met a total nolifer (over 9999 hours in the game, mind you that's where the Switch stops counting) as I was starting in late 2023 that gave me millions of bells. Didn't have to grind for the home renovations thanks to him.

Picking away at Super Mario Maker 100-Mario challenges for the last 2-3 months. Should probably dip into Splatoon this week though just for the hell of it.

Need to get in some Kid Icarus Uprising multiplayer… never tried it even once

Also if someone has a hidden ability male Nidoran in gen 7 please hmu

Need to get in some Kid Icarus Uprising multiplayer… never tried it even once

Also if someone has a hidden ability male Nidoran in gen 7 please hmu
Not into PVP at all but I really enjoyed KI:U multiplayer.

https://famiboards.com/threads/famionline-a-3ds-wiiu-farewell.9166/#post-1049703

Another good thread organizing meet-ups for Triforce Heroes and a few other games.

I also forgot to mention that the online lobby for Pokemon Sun and Moon/USUM will still be there but will be heavily hurt by no online features. The main way to earn coins in the Festival Plaza is through online missions and you won't get any real people/messages in there. Also some of this content is version and player exclusive, which you get through being shared online with others (i.e. clothing dyes, shop items, etc.).

My WiiU is busted so that limits options a bit, but if I remember to do it, I'd probably play a few matches of KI:U before it goes down.

5a995cb67a2dbc8a3452805bad58a7ebf391161e.jpg

Ahh hacked Fates skills units, how I missed you. Online is also the only place to get some materials you don't have in your own My Castle!

It's been a long time since I grabbed my 3DS, but when I feel like playing it, I do some Warioware Gold or Rhythm Heaven Megamix.

Wadabadabada is that true? Wow you go big guy!

I was kind of surprised that playing Splatoon 1 is still fun because I figured it would feel archaic after 3. But not only is it still fresh, I feel it has a certain charm neither of the sequels do (it's still probably just nostalgia and Wii U clunk)

But standing on a massive stack of crates in Saltspray Rig and watching seagulls fly by is just special.

I'm still wonder trading in Pokemon Moon. I've been doing this most nights for about a year before bed. All minior. Yesterday, I think for the first time, I got my own Pokemon sent back to me. I figured someone else was just breeding minior in a moon ball. Wasn't until the game said "welcome back minior" that I knew.

Then it happened again two trades later. Weird thing was that I didn't recognize either name I traded with. Must not be that big of a pool anymore.

GKDdf-qWwAAmOKO

A lot of Splatoon 1 stages have made their way to 2 and 3, but Saltspray Rig, Urchin Underpass and the original (quite different) Hammerhead Bridge will all be last available on the time above. One or two may be added to Splatoon 3 before content updates end in September, but as of now this will be the last time you can play these stages.

Really sad that the only legit ways to play Monster Hunters 3U, 4U and base Generations online are getting ready to go bye-bye.

Generations Ultimate takes care of the last one, but I still think Capcom could really benefit from giving 3U and 4U the remaster treatment. Switch/PC, and let's go.

GKDdf-qWwAAmOKO

A lot of Splatoon 1 stages have made their way to 2 and 3, but Saltspray Rig, Urchin Underpass and the original (quite different) Hammerhead Bridge will all be last available on the time above. One or two may be added to Splatoon 3 before content updates end in September, but as of now this will be the last time you can play these stages.
Ugh, I'm at work while these are in their final rotation :(

My friends and I dedicated our weekly gaming night to a send off for both the Wii U and 3DS tonight. We only played a few titles due to limited time, but it was such a blast. We started with Splatoon and it was really funny going back and realizing how simple it is compared to the sequels. It felt quaint in a lot of ways. There were some hiccups with searching due to the queuing system and low player count, but once we got into some games it was a blast.

We then switched focus to the 3DS for the evening. Going back…I really just love this platform. It came out when I was in university which was the perfect time with it. So many memories with StreetPass on campus and playing tons of games with both my roommates and people online from older Nintendo communities. We played Mario Kart 7 which held up great but unfortunately we got matched with a modder which kinda ruined the fun. They were throwing bombs constantly and doing donuts with the bullet bill. Very strange.

After that we were going to play New Leaf but I was quickly disappointed to learn that with the Welcome amiibo update I had to enable parental controls and allow the communication setting in order to play online. I love New Leaf, it’s my favourite game on the system, but I had stopped playing before that update and never had enabled the setting as a result. I didn’t realize it was a manual review process so unfortunately I won’t get a chance to revisit the online here. Thinking I might dabble with the game regardless though. I’ve heard the update was substantial.

We ended things off with Smash which is honestly just an impressive game for the hardware. Not much to say here, it was a great time.

As we were playing and reminiscing about the consoles, I recalled the campaign Nintendo did when they announced the eshop closures and gave you an infographic about your time with the platforms. I love this kind of stuff so I had mine saved from back then and pulled them up again. I really hope that when the Switch comes to the end of its life they do something similar. It’s nice to look back on your time with a gaming platform and have those memories, both good and bad, come rushing back.

8lFn9TR.png

bqenDQ5.png

I've really enjoyed reading folks' Wii U and 3DS memories and last online experiences in here. I will always treasure my memories of Tri Force Heroes online, and Miiverse in general. It was a really special and unique time for Nintendo.

I lack my thumb stylus, but I'm going to miss playing some Kid Icarus Uprising dearly. Such a fantastic game stuck in purgatory, and its online was a haphazard blast.

Both the English and Japanese MH Twitter are posting about the old games losing online services. Both English and Japanese comments asking for ports of the games. Hopefully they listen... for those who don't know 4U is one of the most beloved games in the series and is currently 3DS only. 3U is a classic title as well.

End of an era.

Mario Golf World Tour will be the last game I play online. Really gonna miss that one. Super Rush just doesn't scratch that itch.

Currently trying to last minute grind out as many of the My Castle Visit and Battle items I can in Fates. I already have master saves set up for each route that I can grab the items for before the online goes down.

Going to be at work during the final rotation with Urchin Underpass, so I'm never going to see that Splatoon 1 stage again. Sadness.

Mulling over if there's anything else I want to touch. Already did a Pokemon trade and played some Kid Icarus Uprising. I didn't play 3DS/Wii U online much, in retrospect, even compared to DS and Wii.

Just Wii U stuff today. Filled my reward tickets in Xenoblade X and a few final races in Mario Kart 8. My daughter did a few final battles in Splatoon. Downloaded a few Mario Maker levels.

2 hours left, y'all. If you've got the time, you can pick a game and watch the ship shink together online.

54c35f744faa52cc74ed9cc87c32d15125fae14a.jpg

Played a whole bunch of Mario Maker 1 including getting all the costumes I was missing, played Mario Kart 7's exclusive tracks not in 8 Deluxe online with a friend and randos, and then I'm currently playing (well, until everyone starts messing around) Splatoon waiting for Nintendo to kick me off the servers. So far we've gotten a whole extra 7 minutes, so it's waiting for the end while playing out a little more haha.

An end to an era indeed, but fun.

Well funnily enough, the server may be on for another hour as some regions claimed (but most people were going off what Nintendo JP said)?

I'm at work so can't do any last minute online activity, but ironically I could have probably left early today. Alas...

Japan doesn't observe daylight saving time, not sure if that's relevant to any timing discrepancy. Could explain why it would be off by an hour compared to something Nintendo of America might have said.

Who hacks in a level 100 shiny skiploom to wonder trade? Aim higher hackers.

edit: lol, someone sending out ratatta named "joinPretendo"

edit 2: Trades still going strong half an hour past shut down

Last edited:
Who hacks in a level 100 shiny skiploom to wonder trade? Aim higher hackers.

edit: lol, someone sending out ratatta named "joinPretendo"

edit 2: Trades still going strong half an hour past shut down
I dont know how you are still getting trades. I get an error and a "service has been discontinued" message if I try to go online.

I dont know how you are still getting trades. I get an error and a "service has been discontinued" message if I try to go online.

I'm using Moon, maybe it's game by game or something. Literally just received a wingull as I type this.

I'm still playing Splatoon! Seems like it's going down in waves and not all at once. Down with the ship I go.

MH4U and Splatoon 1 still working on my end. I'm glad MH4U had some overtime because I was able to finish up G3 because of it. Pretty much speedran G1-G3 from last night till now.

GcyOM6l.jpeg

(Bronze Crown achieved. My 3DS actually hard crashed after that above image, I checked to see if online still worked and it does, but I'm satisfied now)

azS1S4H.jpeg

Gave my farewells. Had a lot of chill convos with randoms online.

XfY1LCu.jpeg

MH4U, linking the world together! 🌎 🌍 🌏

And Mario Golf World Tour online is no more ):

Wonder what the final Pokemon trade to occur will be

RIP Fire Emblem Fates online 🫡. I got most of the items I wanted, just have to remember to not overwrite those saves and use other slots.

Back
Top Bottom