• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What Was Your Reaction To Nintendo's E3 2015 Presentation?

The puppets were fun, but then you realized a few months later they were because Iwata was too sick to participate and the fun goes away.

Starfox zero looked bad? I had a very hard time with the controls of that game which makes me prefer the n64 original but I remember Starfox zero looking visually like eye candy. I still think its looks pretty good.
Lmao, were you on the internet at that time ? The game was literally destroyed for its graphics. Everyone was saying it looked like it a N64 game. Even today, personally, I think it's one of the worst Nintendo game ever visually. Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade X and Zelda BoTW were on the same console.

Last edited:
yeah I remember distinctly Star Fox Zero's visuals being its biggest controversy till it was found out there was no way to play without using gyro aiming, and honestly yeah Zero's art style, lighting, and texture work were amateurish for a Nintendo game, especially a Miyamoto led game, like the light beams from the stealth mission look like they came out of an early ps2 game

When the opening segment was a prolonged focus on Skylanders I knew we were in for a bad time.

They could've had a better E3 Direct if they saved some do that weekend's early reveals (e.g. Mother 1 release on the VC) for the Direct. I think there was a Smash DLC announcement that could've been saved for it too.
What was so crazy is that I accidentally skipped ahead during the Direct (watched it later in the day) and when I saw Bowser playable for a moment breaking bricks and such, I thought it was a glimpse at a Bowser game.

Going back through everything, the level of vitriol towards Metroid Prime: Federation Force still feels like a fever dream and sticks out as THE defining thing from the presentation. Every interview with Tanabe for the following year basically had journalists go "how dare you?" while he gave awkward reassurances that it was just a spin-off to help set-up the next numbered Prime game. Meanwhile, Next Level Games straight-up just didn't list the game on their website until they redesigned it in 2020 to avoid the storm as much as possible. Even now, just mentioning the game in a room of Metroid fans has 50/50 odds of causing people to screech that it was an atrocious piece of crap that nearly killed the series, regardless of if they actually played the darn thing.

Going back through everything, the level of vitriol towards Metroid Prime: Federation Force still feels like a fever dream and sticks out as THE defining thing from the presentation. Every interview with Tanabe for the following year basically had journalists go "how dare you?" while he gave awkward reassurances that it was just a spin-off to help set-up the next numbered Prime game. Meanwhile, Next Level Games straight-up just didn't list the game on their website until they redesigned it in 2020 to avoid the storm as much as possible. Even now, just mentioning the game in a room of Metroid fans has 50/50 odds of causing people to screech that it was an atrocious piece of crap that nearly killed the series, regardless of if they actually played the darn thing.
A really common phrase I got sick of Metroid fans saying at that time was "Nintendo just slapped the Metroid name on a generic sci-fi shooter they were making to get it to sell." It didn't take much research to see that this was false. Federation Force was clearly designed as a Prime spin-off from day one, as Tanabe had spoken beforehand about wanting to expand the Metroid Prime universe outside of just Samus's perspective. Also, Nintendo has always been clear about their projects' origins and whether or not they started life as a different concept. There was no such thing ever said about Federation Force.

I don't think "it started as a generic sci-fi shooter" is a statement that gets passed around as truth anymore, but back then I saw it so often that it irritated me. The Metroid fans that were so incensed by Federation Force's existence literally just made up a reason to hate it even more.

The opposite of 2014. While that one was very good and showed Nintendo would fight for the Wii U (instead of abandoning it right out of the gate like rumored before) in 2015 it felt clear that the focus were going to be the mysterious NX platform.

The developer talks that dragged on and on were far worse than anything actually shown, even the games that were hot garbage like amiibo festival. Would be very palatable as a 25 minute presentation.

A really common phrase I got sick of Metroid fans saying at that time was "Nintendo just slapped the Metroid name on a generic sci-fi shooter they were making to get it to sell." It didn't take much research to see that this was false. Federation Force was clearly designed as a Prime spin-off from day one, as Tanabe had spoken beforehand about wanting to expand the Metroid Prime universe outside of just Samus's perspective. Also, Nintendo has always been clear about their projects' origins and whether or not they started life as a different concept. There was no such thing ever said about Federation Force.

I don't think "it started as a generic sci-fi shooter" is a statement that gets passed around as truth anymore, but back then I saw it so often that it irritated me. The Metroid fans that were so incensed by Federation Force's existence literally just made up a reason to hate it even more.
The Federation Force nonsense is a major reason why I do not trust the Metroid fandom to this day. Just utterly embarrassing behavior.

Eh, I was OK with it. Lots of Fire Emblem news around that time and I care about that way more than Metroid and Animal Crossing (or even the WiiU in general). There was also some good third party stuff on 3DS too so I was happy.

I mean, Mario Maker. That was enough for me at the time.

The string up was awful but the puppetry was 🔥.

I think that the show had been a ton more impressive if they didn’t already reveal Mario Maker in 2014. It would’ve made for one hell of a cool surprise.

Lmao, were you on the internet at that time ? The game was literally destroyed for its graphics. Everyone was saying it looked like it a N64 game. Even today, personally, I think it's one of ther worst Nintendo game ever visually. Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade X and Zelda BoTW were on the same console.
I dont remember that. And to me its a very good looking game but my standards are obviously low then. The only thing I remember online at that time was people screaming and bitching about the horrible controls in that game. I would Know cuz I was one of them xD I got the game expecting it to have the typical optional motion controls and then I saw the controls were mandatory but then I expected them to be atleast managable if they were required. Oh god no they were dog shit. I would have loved the game otherwise if it legit just had normal controls. Most my Wii U gaming I used the pro controller and had the gamepad on my desk infront of me for like quick swapping inventory on the fly and map managment in things like pikmin 3 (still think that gimmick was the most fun I had in gaming to this day)

The Federation Force nonsense is a major reason why I do not trust the Metroid fandom to this day. Just utterly embarrassing behavior.
Honestly between the Federation Force fiasco (try saying that five times fast) and the reaction to the DKC: Tropical Freeze reveal, Metroid fans absolutely deserved to go 6 years without new games. It didn’t help that when they actually got a traditional game with Samus Returns it flopped because Metroid fans boycotted it in response to the AM2R shutdown. Just a whole lot of nonsense in that fanbase, saying this a someone who also loves the series.

No Smash, didn't watch. New games weren't exactly at the forefront of my mind as I was preparing for a holiday.

I was pretty nonplussed by the quality of the announcements, but disappointed by the the realisation that the Wii U comeback I'd been hoping for 12 months earlier was dead. Even though Federation Force didn't bother me, Amiibo Festival was the peak of Nintendo being out of touch with what the market wanted in that era - can't forget 2008, of course. The world kept turning, and I looked forward to picking up Splatoon and Mario Maker when we finally, finally got off of dial-up Internet in our house.

I was happy with it. Star Fox Zero was the big reveal for me and the game mostly looked great and seemed to be what I was asking for. It didn't turn out to be that (though I still enjoyed it) but I didn't know that at the time.

I just need one major announcement/reveal to make me happy. Plus there was a Smash Direct right before that which was cool.

Knowing that Zelda and NX wasn't going to be shown I was hoping that Nintendo had something big and exciting in their absence. Unfortunately this direct showed that the Wii U was done getting big new games. I was pretty disappointed in the moment.

We were all gathered durring lunch break at my wife's(at the time girlfriend) appartement with 3-4 work friends. We were so excited because E3 2014 was really decent so we thought, now the WiiU is gonna go full swing surely. Boy we could feel the excitement in the room drop with each announcement.

Felt like a monkey's paw E3. Here's all these franchises with new enteries, Metroid, Animal Crossing, Starafox and a M&L/Paper Mario crossover.. but none of them were what people wanted.

often considered the worst E3 from Nintendo aside from the wii music presentation from E3 2008 (although at least that one had some good memes come out of it)
very disappointed, itwas very clear by this presentation, Nintendo is done with Wii U and is preparing it next console(now know as Nintendo Switch) and sad this presentation was Saturo Iwata final presentation, ending his legacy on a sour note.

Back
Top Bottom