• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club What was the biggest WTF reveal from Nintendo this year?

Biggest WTF moment?

• Metroid Dread is no longer dread

Votes: 67 34.4%
  • Advance Wars is back

Votes: 34 17.4%
  • Sora in Smash

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • Genesis games and Banjo Kazooie coming to NSO

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • 3D Kirby

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Mama Mia, is that Chris Pratt?

Votes: 70 35.9%
  • Game Builder Garage

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Breath of the Pokemon

Votes: 7 3.6%

• Total voters
N64 version:
8821ffd2b5631e57435029afd9df5a58.png

XBLA version:
Both of those are in both versions? In both 64 and 360 you have the expressions and the honeycombs.

Yeah but the character faces/expressions are notably worser looking in the 360 version.
Well, the fact that I didn't even notice until you pointed it out means I'll take Notes/Jinjos staying collected over ugly health bar faces anyday, lol.

Definitely Advance Wars for me; I've long since given up on that series so when I first heard the AW sound effects during the E3 Direct I was doubting my ears until the footage was shown.

The Mario casting is certainly a bit...weird, but it didn't entirely surprise me. I'm sure getting Sora in Smash took a bunch of hard work, but with all the other characters they've put in the game, it's not the surprising that they're willing to go to those sort of lengths. Game builder garage just feels like the natural next step after Labo.

I think the biggest surprise was definitely Metroid Dread coming "back" after all those years. It's not so much the fact we got a 2D Metroid, but more the fact that it's the same game rumoured years and years ago.

Definitely happy about the return of Advance Wars too, can't wait for that game!

Metroid Dread for me personally. I followed it back when i was a young teen when i was deeply into the ds ecosystem. And seeing it being revived after so long certainly got a emotional reaction from me. Still can't believe it's real and that i am finally playing it after all these years. Especially with metroid not being Nintendo's biggest seller this sounded like a almost impossible thing.

And who thought Mercury Steam of all things would make it? And succeed im glad they learned so much from their lord of shadow games personally i loved them but i can see why alot of ppl didn't. Both samus returns and this deserve high praise.

I'd say Metroid Dread as well. I thought that if we ever get a new 2D Metroid it would be a remake of older ones, not a new entry, and not certainly titled Dread. I thought all their efforts are on Metroid Prime 4 so a new 2D entry, and with really great production values at that, is certainly a big surprise.

I'm not much surprised about Chris Pratt though. Sure, I didn't see it coming, but my expectation is the Mario movie would have big names for the main cast for sure, and it certainly did.

I'm gonna go with Advance Wars because I wasn't expecting them to just revive the series like that out of the blue.

Dread was a pleasant surprise, but there had been talk of a new 2D entry since Samus Returns happened, so it wasn't that out there. Advance Wars, though? Absolute wtf moment.

I was expecting a 2D Metroid to be announced, but when the name "Dread" appeared i freaked out. Bringing this project back after so many years was completely unexpected. Then there's the Advance Wars announcement, wow. The E3 Direct was one for the ages. About the film casting, i'm not too familiar with the actors and i barely watch recent movies or tv lately, i've watched GotG so i know who Chris Pratt is, i know Jack Black of course, i've heard good things about Anya Taylor-Joy's acting, never heard of Charlie Day before... My reaction was simply "ok, they're bringing a famous actor to voice Mario instead of Martinet, that's not great but whatever", so i didn't quite get all the uproar that followed, so it wasn't such a WTF moment for me.

Genesis was a surprise for me but Dread was even bigger. I’m also surprised by how much Nintendo is pushing it. Great to see Metroid getting the recognition it deserves.

2021: Kirby and the Forgotten Land looking this good.

2023: Metroid Prime Remastered looking this good.

with the switch winding down in terms of announcements it would be fun to remake this thread except for the entire generation.

what are the best "WTF" announcements from this generation should I include in a new thread? here's what I got so far:
  • Sandbox 3D Mario is back
  • SMT5 announcement
  • Metroid Prime 4 announcement
  • Bayonetta 3 announcement
  • "Everyone is here!" Smash Ultimate Reveal
  • Link's Awakening HD reveal
  • Metroid Dread reveal
  • Advance Wars HD announcement
  • SMRPG HD announcement
  • TTYD HD announcement
  • Ridley in Smash
  • King K Rool in Smash
  • Banjo-Kazooie in Smash
  • Steve in Smash
  • Sora in Smash

Paper Mario 100%
They had zero reason to do it

Origami King was well liked
Paper Mario 64 didn’t get remade first
They’re already remaking Super Mario RPG
(Can I mention how this was revealed before RPG was even out?)
Switch 2 is very clearly on the way

Not to mention the game looks shockingly similar to the original. Definitely more love and care being put into preservation versus those lousy M&L remakes from the end of the 3DS’ life

Really, if Paper Mario Thousand Year Door remake EVER happened, I expected it to look like this

rafa-knight-papmario2-hd-001.jpg

I can’t lie, I would’ve been over the moon about this as well.

But they didn’t do that, they actually went through the extra effort to re-imagine the art style again including removing the outlines and returning to the old Paper Mario character designs

One of the most confusing Nintendo announcements ever. Don’t get me wrong, the GOOD type of confusing, the amazing
type of confusing. But still confusing
I actually am very interested in the dev interviews that will almost certainly happen close to the game’s release.

And no, I don’t buy for a second that they randomly pulled sticks from a jar and got Thousand Year Door. This was a deliberate move, and most likely began development very shortly after Origami King. I am very curious if the original Paper Mario director is actually back. Wouldn’t be surprised if i’m correct about that. He’s been done working on FE Cipher since 2020.

with the switch winding down in terms of announcements it would be fun to remake this thread except for the entire generation.

what are the best "WTF" announcements from this generation should I include in a new thread? here's what I got so far:
  • SMT5 announcement
  • Metroid Dread reveal
  • SMRPG HD announcement
  • TTYD HD announcement
  • Ridley in Smash
  • King K Rool in Smash
  • Banjo-Kazooie in Smash
  • Steve in Smash
  • Sora in Smash

I think for it was more like:
Nintendo Labo
Super Mario Bros. 35
Super Mario 3D All Stars being limited
Mario Kart Live Home Circuit
Everybody 1 2 Switch
Another Code Recollection

Saw the poll and thought: "Metroid Dread wasn't this year, right? What the hell is going on? Have I time-traveled?"

Then I saw the date of the OP and calmed down for a bit.

If we are answering this for 2023, my vote goes to the Peach game.

Not to mention the game looks shockingly similar to the original. Definitely more love and care being put into preservation versus those lousy M&L remakes from the end of the 3DS’ life

That's a completely unnecessary shot at people that clearly worked really hard redrawing practically every asset in higher resolution sprite art with far more detail and far more animation frames in almost every case.

It's the Another Code collection.

Yeah, Peach getting a solo game is really surprising, SMRPG and TTYD both getting rereleases within a short timeframe is shocking, but both feel like the sort of thing where, given enough time, they would happen eventually.

If you told me, 40 years from now, that Another Code was left to die on the DS forever, I wouldn't exactly have been surprised.

That's a completely unnecessary shot at people that clearly worked really hard redrawing practically every asset in higher resolution sprite art with far more detail and far more animation frames in almost every case.
75% of the actual sprites are reused from Dream Team.
If you liked those remakes, that's fine, but you can't seriously tell me with a straight face that they are just as faithful as the Paper Mario remake.
Intelligent Systems went above and far beyond, at least judging from what we've seen so far.

• SMT5 announcement
  • Metroid Dread reveal
  • SMRPG HD announcement
  • TTYD HD announcement
  • Ridley in Smash
  • King K Rool in Smash
  • Banjo-Kazooie in Smash
  • Steve in Smash
  • Sora in Smash
Metroid Prime Remaster shadow drop

75% of the actual sprites are reused from Dream Team.
If you liked those remakes, that's fine, but you can't seriously tell me with a straight face that they are just as faithful as the Paper Mario remake.
Intelligent Systems went above and far beyond, at least judging from what we've seen so far.

I can only assume you've just never done any level of meaningful comparison, because otherwise, you're deliberately lying through your teeth. As this is literally not the case in any sense. For the sake of argument having just checked several of the most likely ones that could have been reused, I guarantee you can pick basically any character or sprite that might have been reused between the games, and you'll find differences in those in Superstar sagas 3DS sprites, in things like the relative positioning, the way they're coloured, what parts of the sprites are focused on, etc.

For a start, the vast majority of the characters aren't even in Dream team/Paper jam. Even the ones that are have literally dozens to hundreds of new sprites, even if some could arguably be said to be reused, e.g. Princess peach.

Even stuff like the basic goombas are clearly redone to be more like the GBA style, most obvious in how the feet are in completely different places, and the angle of several of the sprites positions relative to the camera are different.

And this is the case for literally everything in the game.

• SMT5 announcement
  • Metroid Dread reveal
  • SMRPG HD announcement
  • TTYD HD announcement
  • Ridley in Smash
  • King K Rool in Smash
  • Banjo-Kazooie in Smash
  • Steve in Smash
  • Sora in Smash
Famicom Detective Club getting a remake is definitely up there. It's easily one of the most obscure and most niche games they've ever released, and it getting a whole from the ground-up remake by Mages (Steins;Gate, Chaos;Child, etc.) is still extremely odd to think about

probably SMRPG remake
glances at the bot account identification discussion in mod feedback

This year has its own fair share though, not a bad bump decision. I agree with SMRPG, though in a different direction, no TOTK DLC seems to have caught a lot of people off guard.

Back
Top Bottom