• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club What was the biggest WTF reveal from Nintendo this year?

Biggest WTF moment?

• Metroid Dread is no longer dread

Votes: 67 34.4%
  • Advance Wars is back

Votes: 34 17.4%
  • Sora in Smash

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • Genesis games and Banjo Kazooie coming to NSO

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • 3D Kirby

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Mama Mia, is that Chris Pratt?

Votes: 70 35.9%
  • Game Builder Garage

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Breath of the Pokemon

Votes: 7 3.6%

• Total voters

Magic-Man

Perseus Jackson
Pronouns
He/Him
This has been a really, really weird year. And that's not even including Famicom Detective Club or New Pokemon Snap (announced in 2020)

I'd say either the Mario film cast or Sora in Smash. I don't think Metroid Dread was a huge shock since the completion reward in Samus Returns hinted at it and Nintendo said they were satisfied with Samus Returns' sales numbers. Shout-out to Advance Wars coming back out of nowhere though.

What a damn year it has been for games, and yet Chris fucking Pratt takes it for me

Chris Pratt. Most of the other things were fun surprises (Famicom Detective Club and Advance Wars remakes, Dread is resurrected, Banjo on a Nintendo system again) but when the movie news hit in the Direct you could sense the internet’s collective WTF reaction.

I still have no idea how he’s supposed to play Mario when he basically can only play Andy, Emmet or Star Lord

Charlie Day as Luigi was also WTF, but in the opposite, delightful way

Putting chris pratt mario is unfair otherwise i would have repped advance wars coming back . metroid was hinted at by leaker several types before reveal so even it being dread wasn’t that surprising . pokemon souls hunter of the wild was pretty surprising . people memed kirby 3d so much and there was that datamine a year ago so it was somewhat expected to me at this point .

This truly has been the year of Nintendo not giving a single fuck. Not even included on the list:

• Switch OLED and not Pro
  • Skyward Sword HD as the only anniversary celebration for Zelda(so far)
  • Game Builder Garage
  • Tekken in Smash, despite never being on a Nintendo console
  • WarioWare returning to consoles after nearly a decade
  • Big Brain Academy's return after nearly a decade and a half
  • All of this and over a year of no major content releases for ACNH

Tekken in Smash, despite never being on a Nintendo console

There's been a few Tekken releases on Nintendo systems at the very least.

81hAqsPVqpL._SL1500_.jpg

91lLQBLT5-L._SL1500_.jpg

Sora in Smash for sure. Having spoken to people who actually worked with Disney I was certain it was all but impossible. Glad to be wrong. Close second is Chris Pratt.

Imagine the memes if they announced Sora in the same stream as Chris Pratt.

It's the announcement that Nintendo announced SEGA Genesis games on the Nintendo Switch Online. Certainly, Nintendo systems are an expectation so Nintendo 64 is going to be there, and I also guessed correctly that Banjo-Kazooie will be planned for it, but having SEGA Genesis games is something else entirely because it's not a Nintendo system. It's even more surreal that there is a Nintendo-branded SEGA controller to go along with it, though they should have used the 6-button layout as the default because of the better compatibility outside the SEGA games. It kind of open the possibilities to other non-Nintendo systems, too.

Thank you for reading.

Dread for me. I figured Nintendo would have MS remake another 2D Metroid, and not, you know, revive this 16 year old project.

Metroid Dread literally coming back from the dead.

A long dead rumor....vaporware by all accounts, and yet...

Metroid dread, not really, in the sense that we knew that a new "2d" Metroid was about to be revealed. Nobody expected they would go with the "dread" name though, but imo that's just a convenient nod to the fans and a way of generating ultra hype. And it worked.

Now, Mario being Chris Pratt, lol, I guess it was the real WTF of this year. I mean, yeah, he's so cool, I kinda get it, but... Lol

Impossible to top Pratt especially with the way Miyamoto came out to announce it during a game direct and not some other setting

I forgot about the 3DS release, but TTT is not Tekken proper.
Eeeeh. If so then Joker's inclusion would be considered even weirder. Persona Q isn't proper Persona at all.

Or like how KH 1, 2 and 3 never made it to a Nintendo console (but still got a lot of KH games). (Well, now it's getting the cloud version, but we heard about Nintendo wanting Sora back in Smash 4 DLC days, and Sakurai kinda implied it by revealing he was the most requested one, way before a cloud version of those games was a possibility)

Tekken Tag Tournament definitely counts as a real proper Kazuya game. And a damn good one.

I think it's Sora in Smash for me, it just always seemed so unlikely. There's a lot of things that I didn't expect to happen this year with Nintendo, but this is something I fully expected not to happen, so I think it takes it.

the chris pratt thing is legitimately WTF and insanely funny. i don’t think it’s entirely their fault — i’m sure the production company more than had their say, but it’s so memorable and weird.

i don’t think chris pratt will work, but that in turn makes the entire thing really interesting. how are they gonna pull it off? i can’t wait to see.

I want to say it's Metroid Dread because of how excited that announcement made me, but a 2D Metroid was expected for a while, so the real shocker was the revival of that "Dread" concept.

The Mario casting announcement though was several minutes of surreal WTF starting with Chris Pratt of all people to be Mario. One of the most utterly insane moments in a Nintendo Direct I can think of.

Casting choices for films don't seem to faze me as much as many people, probably because I am celebrity-ignorant for the most part, and thus it doesn't cross my mind on the expectations for the voice actors on the characters.

Thank you for reading.

This truly has been the year of Nintendo not giving a single fuck. Not even included on the list:

• Switch OLED and not Pro
  • Skyward Sword HD as the only anniversary celebration for Zelda(so far)
Same here. I even sold my Switch to wait for a pro after getting frustrated with Link's Awakening performance issues.
When the annoucement was ending and they didn't talk about performance I was like: wtf I did....

This year has truly been full of cool WTF moments but I think nothing beats Chris Pratt as Mario for me.

In terms of game-related announcements I think Metroid actually being called Dread and Advance Wars still existing are the biggest ones. A new Metroid was expected but the fact that it's actually the same Metroid Dread from like 15 years ago is insanity. Advance Wars getting revived after several years with a remake by Wayforward is also a scenario no one imagined.

Pratt is definitely the most WTF, but to me the most surprising thing was honestly Legends

Even with the Wild Area I wasn't expecting Breath of the Pokemon (or more accurately Pokemon Hunter) this soon

Has to be Advance Wars for me. Metroid was rumored for a while and we all knew a new WarioWare, Mario Party, and Pokemon remakes would come eventually. I thought AW was done for so I was legit surprised by the reboot.

I know Nintendo and Microsoft are closer then ever. But seeing Banjo the N64 line up blew me the hell away. I still can’t get over it.

I voted Metroid Dread, but I think people are underrating how weird it is that Banjo Kazooie was just so casually announced for the NSO N64 app :-D
I absolutely lost in when the box art just casually came up in the scroll wheel of N64 games. Nintendo definitely knew what they were doing there. Especially since they went “ohoho did you notice that?” Right after haha.

Mean, seeing them all listed out like that and it really seems like the year of impossibilities. Dread, Advance Wars and post-Apocalyptic 3D Kirby are probably a real 3-way dead heat but in the end I had to go for that Mario casting. Just an extra layer of WUT.

Nothing surprising for me. I guess GTA would be the closest thing. The reality is it has been rumored and rated for a while so we knew it was coming.

Advance Wars for me, that came out of nowhere. Hopefully now that Metroid is out they can put a little focus on actually advertising it.

I voted Metroid Dread, but I think people are underrating how weird it is that Banjo Kazooie was just so casually announced for the NSO N64 app :-D
Yeah it is pretty odd, you'd think there would be more fanfare. My stream was lagging by about 10 seconds so my friend was just DMing me "BANJO ON NSO" and I was like wait what.

But ever since Banjo got in Smash I thought there was always a decent chance of this happening, though I wish it was the HD remasters. But being able to use save states and rewind will help a lot with the annoyance of Note collecting.

Advance Wars remake is definitely shocking, that's gotta be in the top 3.

Not in the poll, but Nintendo buying Next Level Games. Definite dream come true for me and feels like it matters so much long term in how much NLG can really add to Nintendo overall, hopefully heavily expanding to make games more frequently, and also support other games (I'm calling them to be helping out Retro on Prime 4).

I guess most people were just too underwhelmed by the way Nintendo was handling the NSO Expansion stuff to really notice or care, not to mention further disappointment in it being the original N64 rom and not the definitive XBLA remaster. Still I popped off seeing it.

Since that Mario Movie Cast announcement counts apparently...that.

But if we are talking games, then Metroid Dread. There had been rumors about a 2D Metroid before it was revealed but I don't think anyone was expecting...a game that supposedly died a decade ago.

I guess most people were just too underwhelmed by the way Nintendo was handling the NSO Expansion stuff to really notice or care, not to mention further disappointment in it being the original N64 rom and not the definitive XBLA remaster. Still I popped off seeing it.
PFFT, I'd take the N64 original over the 360 version any day. They removed most of the Nintendo references and some hud assets were changed for the worse (the hell happened to the life bar?).

A Mario 64 3D All-Stars-esc remaster of the N64 original on Switch would be the definitive version IMO.

I think Advance Wars reboot camp was the real thing I never expected. At least not this year. Sora for Smash felt almost impossible too, at least it wasn't what I was expecting.

As much as Metroid Dread was the biggest announcement for me, we were all expecting a 2D Metroid since at least 2019. The Dread name is what I was always expecting too as it's a great title and they were going to use it for the last 2D game. I never expected a remake, as 1 was already remade in Zero Mission, 2 with Samus Returns, and Super and Fusion are perfect as they are.

Oh and Switch (OLED model). I was expecting they would do something like that but at least label it XL for the bigger screen and not the OLED. And I was expecting the DLSS model to come this year instead of OLED.

PFFT, I'd take the N64 original over the 360 version any day. They removed most of the Nintendo references and some hud assets were changed for the worse (the hell happened to the life bar?).

A Mario 64 3D All-Stars-esc remaster of the N64 original on Switch would be the definitive version IMO.
What change did they even make to the life bar? I’ve played both the N64 and 360 version numerous times and I have no idea what you’re talking about.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom