• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club What was Nintendo's best "1 more thing" at a press confrence/Direct?

lemonfresh

#Team2024
Pronouns
He/Him
Mine would probably have to be e3 09 with other m. I was so hyped at the time the game didn't turn out that great but the trailer was amazing

The one-two punch of Banjo in Smash and the BotW sequel in 2019 is what comes to mind for me.

Otherwise, while I didn't at the time I earnestly find the Nintendo Land fireworks being 2012's 'one more thing' moment very very funny, so does that count?

Smash Ultimate, not because I'm necessarily a big Smash fan, but the fakeout really got me. I figured they were following up all the Splatoon news with like a Splatoon animated short series or something, and when the light reflected in the inkling's eye focused down into the logo I flipped.

Again, not a big Smash fan, just found the fakeout (and subsequently moody vibes) to be really impressive.

Xenoblade Chronicles X will always be my favorite. It was such an unexpected announcement and was a boldly different direction for the series that still played to Monolith’s strengths. A decade later, and the feeling of how extremely rad that announcement was hasn’t left me.

It's so unfortunate that it's Other M. It just is. That was a dark time for the Wii, and there Metroid was to save the day.

Sigh.

Xenoblade Chronicles X will always be my favorite. It was such an unexpected announcement and was a boldly different direction for the series that still played to Monolith’s strengths. A decade later, and the feeling of how extremely rad that announcement was hasn’t left me.
This is the one for me. This was fresh off of Chuggaaconroy's Xenoblade Chronicles LP too, so my personal interest in anything Xenoblade was at an all time high.

Smash Ultimate, not because I'm necessarily a big Smash fan, but the fakeout really got me. I figured they were following up all the Splatoon news with like a Splatoon animated short series or something, and when the light reflected in the inkling's eye focused down into the logo I flipped.

Again, not a big Smash fan, just found the fakeout (and subsequently moody vibes) to be really impressive.
Everything about that teaser was brilliant. The logo reveal in the Inkling eye, the atmosphere, using the most obvious newcomer to tease the first reveal of the game itself, the subtle confirmation of BotW link. It was done so gracefully. Honestly pretty much all of the switch era smash trailers were amazingly crafted, but that teaser was just a perfectly curated 40 seconds to kick start the whole era.

Wii Music was the worst but it's certainly the most memorable for me because of how devastating it was.

Pretty much anything Smash-related goes here, but yeah the 1-2 punch of Banjo and TOTK was unbeatable

Also the K. Rool reveal in the August Smash Direct, if that counts

Not sure which is my favorite because honestly, there's been so many great ones..

Just during the Switch era:

Xenoblade 3 reveal though got me all emotional
TotK reveal came from came and no one saw it coming
Smash reveal really hyper accelerated the direct madness. Not even a Smash super fan but it was a cool reveal
Astral Chain / Link's Awakening double whammy was intense. A Fantastic direct with a great combo finish

Nintendolands fireworks in the E3 2012 presentation was the worst XD

Zelda TotK, Xeno X and Zelda TP the best.

It's Twilight Princess reveal and it's not even close.

People wanted that soooooo bad it was like the roof of the building was about to come off.

The Nintendoland fireworks were as as good a sign as any that Nintendo would be high off their own supply for a few years.

Just utterly baffling.

Edit: Smash Ultimate is probably my favourite.

I would say Banjo's Smash reveal combined with TotK because Banjo is the hardest I've ever reacted to any announcement ever, but Banjo wasn't even the one more thing, and the high of Banjo's reveal for me just made the TotK reveal an "oh! alright! cool" in comparison, so that kinda feels like cheating.
The Smash Ultimate reveal itself was cool too, but honestly I remember just being like "yeah, that makes sense" and was more surprised it had a date for the same year.

Maybe the TTYD HD reveal personally? That's probably just recency bias, but I was definitely not expecting it cause SMRPG HD isn't even out yet. Made the reveal super unexpected, and I'm heavily looking forward to it. Probably a boring answer, but I already know I love that game so eh.

Outside of Twilight Princess, I will say A Link Between Worlds for 3DS. It's the best type of "one more thing" where they showed enough to grasp what the game was and it was a surprise announcement with a release date 6 months out.

Smash Ultimate is my favorite, partially because Inkling looking at a Smash logo is still a legendary visual in and of itself to reveal a brand new game on, and partially because I think at the time there was something really validating about Splatoon (a series only three years old at the time) being considered enough of a big deal that it could be used to lead into a reveal. It's like it was being inducted into the big leagues.

Banjo Kazooie in Smash and the way they brought it. After K.Rool I gave up all hope but then the jungle showed again and at that moment I thought it would probably be Geno or something but then... "Who else but Banjo?" I felt many emotions, Banjo Kazooie is still my favorite game of all time and they did the Characters justice. I has a lot of fun during the character reveal phase speculating and making pictures so the payoff was grand.

Honestly might be TOTK.

Riding the high of Banjo getting announced for Smash, the TOTK almost came and went. But looking back on it, it really is a great teaser. And it's interesting to see just how little that scene changed over time.

Ultimate is the goat not just because of the fakeout (which didn't work on me 🤓☝️) , not just because it's one of the best game reveal trailers of all time BUT ALSO because the game was announced in march to be revealed that same year.

Back
Top Bottom