• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Predictions What the HELL is Nintendo cooking for E3?

I honestly don't feel confident making any prediction until we see their H1 plans whenever the first direct hits.

I does feel that since Nintendo released a lot of games the last 2 years, most of their teams don't have their projects on very advanced stages of development to be shown, and maybe will be for the next console.
The only ones so far that could have their next project near are ND Cube, since their last game was a year ago and they are some of Nintendo's dev teams with the shortest dev cycles, Grezzo since their last full game was in 2019 and since then only made a remaster of Miitopia, which was well made but I doubt took all the team to develop, and finally maybe the WarioWare team has been working on a Rythm Heaven game. Maybe they could be working with Good Feel again but I remember they said they were working on an independent project a while ago.
Either that or they will just show their next console.

Last edited:
It will either be new hardware or big games. If they don't have anything for the holidays in terms of new hardware then you can expect them to have good games lined up to sell more Switches. They don't have the luxury to let the hardware sales go too low.

E3? Is this a joke or a post from five years ago?

E3 is practically dead, no one will show anything relevant there.
We don‘t really know. We know for at least a year that E3 will happen, so Publishers had time to plan something if they wanted. Maybe it will never reach the level of pre-covid again, but I could see it being more relevant this year. I mean most publishers are doing a summer presentation anyway, why not do it around E3 so you could show your games at an in person event?

1aa1blank.jpg

Full on Mario theme. They're gonna ride the hype wave of the movie into announcing a new 2D Mario venture (not the "New" series but something new...er) and release it this fall.

My guess is Prime 4.

If they don’t have a big game they should show Switch 2.

We don‘t really know. We know for at least a year that E3 will happen, so Publishers had time to plan something if they wanted. Maybe it will never reach the level of pre-covid again, but I could see it being more relevant this year. I mean most publishers are doing a summer presentation anyway, why not do it around E3 so you could show your games at an in person event?
Perhaps some do their "Directs" in summer, but independent from E3.

The last years showed publishers don't need E3, and they certainly don't need to spend money for E3 participation.

I don’t understand why everyone seems to believe Pikmin is farther off than Nintendo implied.

Pikmin: Same as metroid prime 4, I don't think Pikmin 4 is ready to be shown at E3.
strongly disagree on this. the reveal may have just been a teaser but the merch push suggests to me that they'll get it out in 2023

Animal crossing: doesn't make much sense to release a brand new game when the old one is still selling and being updated.
afaik new horizons support has been done for well over a year but I agree with your conclusion that animal crossing isn't happening any time soon

Definitely agree with the bolded... but it's also difficult to call Nintendo's June announcements when we haven't had a Direct yet this year. Whatever they announce soon will affect what could be announced at E3.
this is a good point! someone suggested Prime HD could be in February with an acknowledgement of news about 4 coming later in the year, similar to Skyward Sword HD's reveal

In my opinion, I think it's going to be a lot like E3 2019 where there isn't a specific game that the show floor will be based on. Metroid Prime 4 will probably be their big one last thing or reveal tho it will not be playable nor discussed (treehouse) after the E3 Direct.

Pikmin 4 is probably the safest bet for the game that will get the most attention at this year's show.

We should be making guesses for the February Direct before the E3 one. I guess maybe February will “only” have a pure Tears of the Kingdom Direct.

Not expecting a ton from Nintendo in 2023, beyond Zelda and Pikmin, and I’m perfectly fine with that.

Im also not expecting much . Feels like a transition year, most of their first party stuff is probably being prepped for the switch successor

I just don't feel like Prime 4 is ready for E3. I mean, I'll go even beyond saying that if it weren't for the zelda switch OLED and the release date reveal, I'd think that tears of the kingdom would be delayed once again because there isn't much revealed about it. But MP4? that feeling is WAY stronger. We literally only had a logo reveal and that's... it. If something was ready I don't think it would be shown at E3, more like a small section of the game tech demo to be shown on a direct for a couple minutes.
This effectively reads as "it's too early to get more information on Prime 4 because we don't have information on it". Following this logic, we'll never get an update on it.

At some point there's going to be a full blown trailer for it out of the blue, and it will be the first thing we see for it since the logo reveal. It is what it is. Whenever that happens depends on when it's coming out; it's certainly been in development at Retro long enough for that to be 'soon'.

This effectively reads as "it's too early to get more information on Prime 4 because we don't have information on it". Following this logic, we'll never get an update on it.

At some point there's going to be a full blown trailer for it out of the blue, and it will be the first thing we see for it since the logo reveal. It is what it is. Whenever that happens depends on when it's coming out; it's certainly been in development at Retro long enough for that to be 'soon'.
It actually reads as "It's too early to get prime 4, because we don't have information on it".
I never said anything about not getting more info on the game, just that the actual release didn't seem close to me (until I read @MondoMega 's post).

Last edited:
Pikmin 4, probably Metroid Prime Remake and a teaser for Prime 4 with a 2024 release window.

If that DK game is real also probably that.

Some smaller stuff like the WW/TP HD ports, DLC for Xenoblade, Mario Kart, Splatoon 3 stuff. If you have all that that's alrd a decent show and that's without 3rd parties.

It actually reads as "It's too early to get prime 4, because we don't have information on it".
I never said anything about not getting more info on the game, just that the actual release didn't seem close to me (until I read @MondoMega 's post).
...But then why would that preclude it from showing up at E3? Your previous post definitely does not read like what you're saying now. You definitely said both there and in the OP that you didn't think Prime 4 would show up

Pikmin 4, probably Metroid Prime Remake and a teaser for Prime 4 with a 2024 release window.

If that DK game is real also probably that.

Some smaller stuff like the WW/TP HD ports, DLC for Xenoblade, Mario Kart, Splatoon 3 stuff. If you have all that that's alrd a decent show and that's without 3rd parties.
I doubt the Zelda's happen this year; Now it's TOTKs time, and any focus on Zelda after that releases will be on the unannounced but practically inevitable season pass for that game.

I just gave up on Metroid Prime Remake for the time being. It might show up this time, who knows, but i'm kinda tired of waiting for a still unannounced project to appear on every Direct again and again. It doesn't make much sense

I just gave up on Metroid Prime Remake for the time being. It might show up this time, who knows, but i'm kinda tired of waiting for a still unannounced project to appear on every Direct again and again. It doesn't make much sense

If it does not show in this direct I will not expect it ever (even if it’s potentially real).

An appearance of Prime 4 (and by extension, probably Prime HD) feels likely, but beyond that it's kind of early to make good predictions. Even Nintendo's full H1 schedule for the year probably isn't known yet and the E3 contents would likely be heavily informed by both the big Q1 Direct and potentially some other announcements that could happen.

I’m definitely skeptical on the existence of Prime HD at this point, especially as we get closer to the launch window for Prime 4 it doesn’t seem to make much sense to place them so close together. I do think we will see Prime 4 even if it’s not a 2023 game though. With Zelda out by then it will be their most anticipated title that they’ve announced.

3D Goemon game. Good Feel/Konami with Nintendo publishing.
Mole Mania 2
Body Harvest remake
Marionette (Canned GCN game) -Platinum Games

Speaking of Good Feel, isn't it about time we saw that cool looking game they teased a few years ago, now? The one with the artwork similar to Goemon.

Seems like they've been cooking something for a long while now, must be time to see it, hopefully. Maybe at a Direct this year, hopefully.

Short answer:

It will depend on the next direct

Long answer:
In 2021, they announced several 2022 titles that we had really good visibility going into 2022 what to expect. Not this year, and with a possible new hardware announce in the next 12-18 months there's way more uncertainty. Due to the low visibility on their games, i feel the next direct will tell us a lot about both E3 and their Switch plans in the next year or so.

...But then why would that preclude it from showing up at E3? Your previous post definitely does not read like what you're saying now. You definitely said both there and in the OP that you didn't think Prime 4 would show up
Because showing up at E3 would probably mean that the game would be set to release in late 2023. While I personally think prime 4 would release in 2024 with new hardware.

Sure, I know that. But out of all those years with the switch, nintendo only bothered putting a single DK game on the platform (if you don't count old titles available on NSO). And it wasn't even a brand new game, but a port...
Besides, tropical freeze sold nowhere near compared to other nintendo franchises on the switch.

IMO it would make way more sense to get the link's awaking team to develop another 2D top-down zelda remaster than release a new DK considering that game sold considerably more than TF.
One thing doesn't interfer with the other at all. Rumor has it that DK is the 2D Action game by EPD Tokyo. Link's Awakening was made by Grezzo with EPD Kyoto. A new Donkey Kong game coming doesn't mean a new 2D Zelda can't come.

On the topic now, I think it's gonna be much similar to E3 2017 in the sense of Zelda being already out and maybe they can show the first part of the DLC there.

Either 3D or 2D Mario on the holidays is coming imo, E3 is the perfect place to reveal it if it isn't revealed by then already.

I think Metroid Prime 4 might be a holiday 2024 game that they'll show it there, also they'll showcase Metroid Prime Remake as a big deal for this holiday(same way as Dread in 2021). They always show games coming on the next 12-18 months on directs, even the February ones(Splatoon 3 in February 2021, Shin Megami Tensei V in July 2020), they won't skip the chance of starting the marketing of this game coupled with the remake. They already did the same thing back in 2021, revealing SS HD and at E3 showing a new trailer to SS HD and gameplay for Tears of the Kingdom.

I don't think they'll enter too much on minor DLC or updates, only if they're stuff like the story expansions for Splatoon 3 and Xenoblade Chronicles 3. If they have anything on their chest like characters for MK8DX that's the best chance to announce them too.

I think they'll put more focus on Treehouse and playable stage on whatever the new Mario game is and Metroid Prime Remake. I don't see bigger deals possible for October/November. I think Donkey Kong is gonna be 2024. The biggest announcements/trailers are gonna be the 2D or 3D Mario and Metroid Prime 4.

Because showing up at E3 would probably mean that the game would be set to release in late 2023. While I personally think prime 4 would release in 2024 with new hardware.
But being at E3 definitely wouldn't mean it's holiday 2023.
We had:
  • Tears of the Kingdom at E3 2019 and then again at E3 2021;
  • Shin Megami Tensei V (that partner Direct it was probably was supposed to be E3);
  • Kirby and Yoshi at E3 2017;
  • Fire Emblem Three Houses at E3 2018.

The holiday 2023 game will be Metroid Prime Remake, and they'll reveal Metroid Prime 4 with a 2024 release window.

Assuming they have an E3, I definitely think we'll see a new 3D Mario this year. It's just been too long, that said the potential of New hardware looming makes it hard to say for certain.

Assuming they have an E3, I definitely think we'll see a new 3D Mario this year. It's just been too long, that said the potential of New hardware looming makes it hard to say for certain.
At this point I don't see why they would launch a new 3D Mario on Switch. It's taken so long that I gotta figure they've just been saving it for the succ. If they put it on Switch, the next system won't have a new 3D Zelda or Mario for years. I think it's more likely it will be revealed and launch in 2024 with next gen hardware

At this point I don't see why they would launch a new 3D Mario on Switch. It's taken so long that I gotta figure they've just been saving it for the succ. If they put it on Switch, the next system won't have a new 3D Zelda or Mario for years. I think it's more likely it will be revealed and launch in 2024 with next gen hardware
Then it will be the longest gap between 3D Marios since Mario 64 and Sunshine (7 years). It stanks waiting half a decade between 3D Marios

Imagine if 2023 we got a new 3D Mario, a new DK, TOTK and MP4.
I think we'll get Tears of the Kingdom and a mainline Mario in the holiday season.

DK and MP4 will be 2024 imo. Both are gonna be revealed this year tho, MP4 at E3 and DK in September.

If DK, MP4 and a new Mario game are all E3, it's gonna be the greatest E3 ever.

Then it will be the longest gap between 3D Marios since Mario 64 and Sunshine (7 years). It stanks waiting half a decade between 3D Marios

Bowsers fury exists whether it's to your liking or not. It was at least as big of a deal as 3D land, even if it was obviously smaller scale than Odyssey.

Buddy Mission BOND English localization

Never give up!

Back
Top Bottom