• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What Nintendo Franchises Do You Want To See Be Adapted Into Anime?

SpaceGodzilla

Did You Get that Thing I Sent You?
Pronouns
him
Splatoon, xenoblade, and Kiby are my top three (I know Kirby already had one but I would love a more game accurate one that adapts the "return" era games)

I'd love to see a Splatoon anime. The world is so delightfully weird (and surprisingly well thought out) that there's definitely potential for a fun sports/slice of life show. Plus it's a cultural juggernaut in Japan already.

Also Fire Emblem. The games already lean more and more into anime tropes, might as well go all the way 😅

Splatoon anime just makes too much sense. It already has a manga. I'm surprised it doesn't already exist, to be honest.

Kid Icarus lends itself to anime if those 3DS shorts are anything to go by.

Wario Land: Shake It! showed what could be done there.

I’d throw in Star Fox, but I’d rather see it as puppets or stop motion animation.

Zeld… never mind.

Metroid, for the the love of a god. I don't want a live action movie, I want a Samus origin story in animated series.

Yeah I really want to see Kid Icarus adapted. I love how those characters were expanded in Uprising and it’s criminal we haven’t had anything new from them since the little morsels in Smash Ultimate.

Splatoon, but go into the actual lore of the game and go wild with it.
Not just a gag/slice of life anime that follows a young Inkling getting better and better at Turf War. Be inspired by the single player modes. Octo Expansion especially was really interesting, both lore wise and story wise. That climax was awesome.

Star Fox could be really fucking hype if it goes fully into a Japanese space opera drama. Think Gunbuster or Gurren Lagann but with furries. Wouldn't that be crazy ?
I'm picturing the ending of Gunbuster but with Fox and Falco instead... So hype.

Famicom Detective Club would be sooo cool but I'm not sure that Nintendo would be ok to greenlight an anime about violent murders and scary ghost rumors. Would definitely be interesting. Especially since FMC was inspired by horror mangas from the late 70s/80s in the first place !

A Splatoon anime could probably end up being as big as the Pokémon anime if they tried hard enough with it. Focus on a rookie kid rising through the ranks in Turf War, while occasionally encountering elements from the single-player campaigns. It would be a near-guaranteed hit.

Animal Crossing could probably work very well as a slice-of-life anime. They already made an anime movie for it that was basically that, and it was surprisingly underrated in my opinion.

My most desired pick though is a slice of life/sports anime about Wuhu Island.

Xenoblade and Splatoon is the clear choices.

Crazy idea: Mario Kart in the style of Wacky races from the 60's. Wario and Waluigi playing the Dick Dastardly role would be infinite hilarity.

Everybody 1 2 Switch! Honestly I think this would be a really funny concept for an anime/show.

Splatoon and anime seems like a perfect match. I would also like to see more F-Zero content so another series for that as well.

Splatoon if it can get the budget for hyperstylistic battle sequences like Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, but unironically give me a super serious Odama anime.

It is odd we are seeing Nintendo partner with American studios for adaptations but so far nothing for Japanese ones (that I know of).

It does seem weird but the budget for The Super Mario Movie was 100 million dollars versus something like Godzilla Minus One which was 10-15 million. US studios allow for larger budgets and much more marketing and distribution internationally versus domestic Japanese studios because they are scaled for larger business.

It’s the opposite for comics/manga it seems. Nintendo seems to only work with Japanese creators on those for the past 30 some years other than never released Arms graphic novel. The manga business is much larger in Japan than the US comics market and is able to be released internationally with licensing.

It probably just comes down to what will give the maximum amount of profit.

Splatoon feels like such a given that I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. I Would Like To See It. Same with Kid Icarus; the shorts show the potential is there, and I miss the characters.

If Fire Emblem and Metroid get any sort of adaptations (or in Fire Emblem's case, a new adaptation), I'd vastly prefer them be animated over live-action. I'm not saying neither would work in live-action, but I don't feel like it would do them justice. So, Fire Emblem and/or Metroid anime would be my picks.

Back
Top Bottom